[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: Possible engine issue
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> F1 may change engine formula in 2016
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Turbocharged engines coming in 2015
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Went from 2006 SI to 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The most beautiful thing in the world is...
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Infiniti Vision GT Concept .... designed in Beijing
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews - Motor Trend 3.5 SH-AWD First Test
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: S660 detailed in Honda Magazine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Fugtastic Messes
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Retrofit 2012 Odyssey Touring with one touch turn signals
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Surprising N-Box Slash debuts in Japan
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: It looks like Honda is going to go with Android in the future
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum > > Re: 06 Civic sedan, Blizzak vs Winterforce

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
kiwikungfu
Profile for kiwikungfu
06 Civic sedan, best ice tire    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2007 16:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My wife commutes in our 06 Civic EX sedan up a steep mountain grade which is frequently iced in the winter. Many times cars (and trucks and SUVs) spin their wheels climbing up, and if they slow down enough cars sometimes slide BACK down the hill. We have been using the stock all-season tires, will a non-studded winter tire grip ice well enough, or do we need a studded tire?

Which tire package do you recommend? I am ready to order today.
kiwikungfu
Profile for kiwikungfu
Re: 06 Civic sedan, Blizzak vs Winterforce    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2007 17:04
I'm considering the Winterforce M+S tires at $55 each (205/55/15) or the Bridgestone Blizzak Revo 1 at $66 each(195/65/15).

The Winterforce can be studded, but there is no test data from tire rack to compare this tire to the Blizzak, and tire rack does not seem to have any studded tire test data (I guess it would tear up the ice rink they use for testing :)

If anyone has an educated opinion, please let me know.
kiwikungfu
Profile for kiwikungfu
Re: 06 Civic sedan, Blizzak vs Winterforce    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2007 17:45
I bought the Revo's after reading two winter tire tests where it scored the highest. I'll post later about their difference from stock. Here in Denver we blizzards one week then hot dry pavement and 70 degrees the next week, so it will test the range of a snow tire's abillity. I never did find comparisons with studded tires and non, but studs wear the raods much faster- and given the afore mentioned mix of dry pavement and heavy snow I'll try a non-studded tire first.
Happiness
Profile for Happiness
Re: 06 Civic sedan, Blizzak vs Winterforce    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-01-2008 18:31
Here's some late validation for you:

"At the end of this test we learned that today's advanced tread compound and design technologies exceeded that of the traditional traction of studs on ice. Considering that only about six studs are in contact with the ice at any one time as the tire rolls across its surface, we found that the weak link is the ice itself, which chips away during contact with the studs. The ruts left on the surface of the ice showed that the studs were making contact, but the ice itself just wasn't strong enough to be considered a good traction partner for the tires.

Especially considering the unacceptable noise generated when studs contact dry and wet roads, we recommend using today's advanced tread compound and design technologies to drive through snow and on ice in winter."

WS-60 replaces REVO1, but my experience going from WS-50 to WS-60 suggests they're very similar on ice. I love the WS-60 on our Fit. I think they work at least as well as the WS-50, but they're quieter on dry pavement. I experienced some tramlining with WS-50s on that horrid stretch of I-70 just west of the KS/CO border, but I doubt WS-60s will have that problem.

How are the REVO1s working out? Those had to be the winter tire best buy this year.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0