[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
More.......................
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Honda's Roadgoing Moto GP Replica Bike Unveiled
2015 Acura TLX Earns 2014 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+
Honda and Acura release October sales results
Civic --> Re: 2016 Civic Rumors
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - McLaren-Honda Abu Dhabi test report
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's Future Sports Car Line-Up
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Consumer Reports full review
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D first drive: Toyota Mirai (hydrogen FCEV)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumor!!! Ito out in March of next year
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wrecked my (moms) TSX tonight...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Hits 300 Million...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rolled's dream car
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad news for Honda!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Cadillac's boss is cocky but truthful.
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: ILX AWD coming sooner than you think...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What to do with your F50 Ferrari
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota Employees Approaching Honda
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What makes TOV the flame forum of the century
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Driving Simulators > > Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 07:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I just started downloading the demo about 15 minutes ago. It's 90% complete at this moment. Hopefully I'll get some real work done today :^).
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 08:11
Jeff wrote:
I just started downloading the demo about 15 minutes ago. It's 90% complete at this moment. Hopefully I'll get some real work done today :^).

so far so good. Graphics are pretty good - environments look great, car modeling is decent but it's not a stunner. Framerate so far seems very smooth. Sound effects are pretty good but I think in their zeal for accuracy and reproducing every one of the cars that's in your vicinity sort of muddies it up. Maybe on a 5.1 system it sounds better. The crowd cheering noises are a little cheesy too, and so is some of the music I've heard.

So far I've sat atop the podium in two different class C cars. I've managed to get into 2nd with the F430 in class A but that SLR is so big I can't get around it in the turns (yet) and it pulls on me on the straights. Of course, I'm trying to do it "legitimately" without rubbing fenders or resorting to punting the AI cars out of my way. I have all the aids off except ABS and that makes the F430 a bit of a handful, especially if you enter a turn a little too hot. As a result my best lap so far on that Mugello circuit is a 1:04.6xx in the F430. I wasn't far behind that in the IS350 (sorta fun to drift :^) and IIRC my best time in the ITR was a 1:08.xxx. Those will drop as I get a better feel for the track and the game.

as for the force feedback wheel - so far I'm liking it with this game but it's not blowing my mind. I sure hope they continue talking to Logitech.... There's definitely some torque steer on the ITR when you launch and you can feel the wheel go a little dead if the car starts pushing. I guess I was hoping they'd dither the feel a little bit so it didn't have a much of a "digital stepper motor" sensation, but I guess there's only so much they can do with $100 of technology.

Anyhow, it's a lot of fun - looking forward to the full game.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 09:16
Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:

so far so good. Graphics are pretty good - environments look great, car modeling is decent but it's not a stunner. Framerate so far seems very smooth. Sound effects are pretty good but I think in their zeal for accuracy and reproducing every one of the cars that's in your vicinity sort of muddies it up. Maybe on a 5.1 system it sounds better. The crowd cheering noises are a little cheesy too, and so is some of the music I've heard.

So far I've sat atop the podium in two different class C cars. I've managed to get into 2nd with the F430 in class A but that SLR is so big I can't get around it in the turns (yet) and it pulls on me on the straights. Of course, I'm trying to do it "legitimately" without rubbing fenders or resorting to punting the AI cars out of my way. I have all the aids off except ABS and that makes the F430 a bit of a handful, especially if you enter a turn a little too hot. As a result my best lap so far on that Mugello circuit is a 1:04.6xx in the F430. I wasn't far behind that in the IS350 (sorta fun to drift :^) and IIRC my best time in the ITR was a 1:08.xxx. Those will drop as I get a better feel for the track and the game.

as for the force feedback wheel - so far I'm liking it with this game but it's not blowing my mind. I sure hope they continue talking to Logitech.... There's definitely some torque steer on the ITR when you launch and you can feel the wheel go a little dead if the car starts pushing. I guess I was hoping they'd dither the feel a little bit so it didn't have a much of a "digital stepper motor" sensation, but I guess there's only so much they can do with $100 of technology.

Anyhow, it's a lot of fun - looking forward to the full game.

I had to do a few things so I stopped playing for awhile but I just went back and actually won with the F430. I managed to squeak by that stupid SLR and keep him behind me. Of course once i was out front I was doing my best to cut a fast lap but I ended up going offtrack and the penalty killed me. At least I managed to regain 1st. So far the best lap is 1:03.318. Driven properly I'm pretty sure that car will do better than 1:00.00. The key is getting rid of the obstructions as early as possible. Also, that F430 surprises me by how easily oversteer is induced even coming out of turns in 3rd gear!
big blue
Profile for big blue
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 09:31
All this talk about Forza 2 is making me itch to buy a xbox 360 and play it. Since playing the GTHD demo I wasn't too impressed. The car models were stunning as usual. I know it wasn't truly GT5 but still, the gameplay overall felt the same and after playing the GT franchise since GT2, it gets old. The sense of speed still wasn't there for me and when you're going 100 down the straight at laguna and it doesn't seem fast, there's something wrong.

The differences I noticed between GT4 and Forza 1 were the engine notes and basic background noises like tire squealing. I hate how in GT4 you can tell the difference between an NSX's engine and a Charger but just BARELY. Forza has easily distinguishable sounds and I think I'm shifting towards Forza 2 this time around. Just to change it up and also to drive cars I'd actually want to drive, instead of having 380 out of 400 cars I'd never touch.

Boo, why do these system have to cost so much nowadays.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 11:00
big blue wrote:
All this talk about Forza 2 is making me itch to buy a xbox 360 and play it. Since playing the GTHD demo I wasn't too impressed. The car models were stunning as usual. I know it wasn't truly GT5 but still, the gameplay overall felt the same and after playing the GT franchise since GT2, it gets old. The sense of speed still wasn't there for me and when you're going 100 down the straight at laguna and it doesn't seem fast, there's something wrong.

The differences I noticed between GT4 and Forza 1 were the engine notes and basic background noises like tire squealing. I hate how in GT4 you can tell the difference between an NSX's engine and a Charger but just BARELY. Forza has easily distinguishable sounds and I think I'm shifting towards Forza 2 this time around. Just to change it up and also to drive cars I'd actually want to drive, instead of having 380 out of 400 cars I'd never touch.

ok, I can't get myself to leave the house, hehe. I put the game down for a while but then I decided to hook it up to the HDTV and 5.1 DD audio. WOW. Too bad there's a lot of glare on the screen in the family room. I can only see about 15% of the screen because of the glare so I have to move my head around a lot to see portions of the track. Despite the glare, I managed to trim my time in the ITR down to 1:06.717, with no assists (except ABS is on) and manual transmission.

Last edited by JeffX on 05-10-2007 11:34
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 12:20
Jeff wrote:
big blue wrote:

ok, I can't get myself to leave the house, hehe. I put the game down for a while but then I decided to hook it up to the HDTV and 5.1 DD audio. WOW. Too bad there's a lot of glare on the screen in the family room. I can only see about 15% of the screen because of the glare so I have to move my head around a lot to see portions of the track. Despite the glare, I managed to trim my time in the ITR down to 1:06.717, with no assists (except ABS is on) and manual transmission.

ack, the M3 is pretty difficult with stability and traction control disabled. there are a few turns where you have to be really delicate with the controls. I can't get jack for a good time with that car, so it's back to the ITR, where my new personal best laptime (in the DC5 ITR) is 1:07.462. There are a few areas where I can clean up my line considerably - I'm thinking a 1:05 is within reach, maybe even a 1:04. The ITR's 3rd gear, great torque curve, and extended rev range make it a good match for this track. With the M3 it seems that it would run out of revs too soon in 2nd gear but then 3rd gear in the same turn would be dogging it.

Last edited by JeffX on 05-10-2007 12:28
LudegarH22A7
Profile for LudegarH22A7
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 13:58
I never connected to XBOX Live and I have 12-month subscrption that's been in the box since last spring... Guess its time to get'r done. Well.. much much later tonight...

Cheers!
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 14:36
LudegarH22A7 wrote:
I never connected to XBOX Live and I have 12-month subscrption that's been in the box since last spring... Guess its time to get'r done. Well.. much much later tonight...

Cheers!

oh man, this game is nuts. You don't need to activate your gold account - you can download the demo with the free silver account.

do you have the FFB wheel? I'm beginning to appreciate it a lot more. And my complaints about the sound are moot when you hook it up to 5.1. It sounds freaking AWESOME. Some people have complained about aliasing and there's a little bit, but I'm guessing most of those people are using LCDs as display devices - through my CRT HDTV it looks fantastic and the aliasing is barely noticeable.
Selektaa
Profile for Selektaa
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 15:17
lol, so much for getting real work done today, huh Jeff? I wish my schedule were flexible enough I could just stay home when some new hot game came out. I'm jealous :)
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Forza 2 Demo is finally here    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2007 15:24
Selektaa wrote:
lol, so much for getting real work done today, huh Jeff? I wish my schedule were flexible enough I could just stay home when some new hot game came out. I'm jealous :)

Well, it worked out that I was staying home today to wait on a package delivery anyhow (where the hell is that thing??) So at least I have *that* excuse, hahah. This game is certainly hazardous to my productivity, however.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0