[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: ASCC based CLX with Acura Sport (Mystery Concept)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: HONDA CR-V AWD Fail!
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Amazing "2WD" Honda CR-V
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: What is the Swedish word for "lame"?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: V8 Supercars Bathurst 1000
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Standard Wheels On 4 Cyl. Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Ridgeline - General Talk > > Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2007 14:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Has anyone found a source for a snow plow for the Ridgeline??? We had like 4 ft of snow here the past week and some of my Ridgeline customers asked if a plow was available, I said I would find out, can anyone help????????

I would figure it could handle it, I see S10's and other smaller less powerful trucks with them. We use a Jeep Wrangler and a Ford F250 for our lot, but it's an all day event here.
blu
Profile for blu
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 2, Helpful) 02-21-2007 13:48
I shall point you to ROC for this one :). There's a rear-mount, and I'm pretty sure someone may've done a front-mount, but the RM works....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11990&highlight=Snow+Plow

http://www.superplow.com/

ryan_indyhonda
Profile for ryan_indyhonda
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2007 15:59
I remember during the ride and drive for the ridgeline, the honda guy said, NO YOU CAN NOT PUT A SNOW PLOW ON THE FRONT OF THE RIDGELINE
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2007 19:50
blu wrote:
I shall point you to ROC for this one :). There's a rear-mount, and I'm pretty sure someone may've done a front-mount, but the RM works....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11990&highlight=Snow+Plow

http://www.superplow.com/

Thank You! I will look into it. You the BOMB!
Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2007 14:07
ryan_indyhonda wrote:
I remember during the ride and drive for the ridgeline, the honda guy said, NO YOU CAN NOT PUT A SNOW PLOW ON THE FRONT OF THE RIDGELINE

As I recall, the front GAWR for the Ridgeline is something like 300 lbs. This is extremely wimpy for a mid-size truck. The rear is well over 3,000 lbs, which is competitive.

I'm not sure of the gross weight of a plow rig, but I'm betting it's well over 300 lbs.
Specboy-GSR
Profile for Specboy-GSR
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2007 08:53
Varmint wrote:
ryan_indyhonda wrote:

As I recall, the front GAWR for the Ridgeline is something like 300 lbs. This is extremely wimpy for a mid-size truck. The rear is well over 3,000 lbs, which is competitive.

I'm not sure of the gross weight of a plow rig, but I'm betting it's well over 300 lbs.

Plows are definitely over 300lbs (unless you get one with the clear plastic plow on it.. then maybe under 300lbs)

IIRC, Plows also attach on most trucks to the ladder frame and the Ridge doesn't have one. I don't think I've ever seen a plow for a Unibody.

~SB
Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2007 13:39
Well... I cannot explain why the Ridgeline has such a low front GWAR, but I have my doubts that it has anything to do with lacking a frame.

First of all, if lacking a frame were a problem, then the rear GAWR should also be low, right? But it's not. As I recall, the rear GAWR is mid-pack when compared with the Frontier, Tacoma, and Dakota.

Second, the Ridgeline does have a frame. It simply has a monocoque structure in addition to that frame.

That's the frame under the Pilot. The one under the Ridgeline is has rails something like 70% thicker. (Sorry, I'm working from memory, so my figures may not be exact.) The Ridgeline also has an extra crossmember not included with the Pilot. I've never found any clear photos of the Ridgeline frame, but here's an illustration.

As for plows, I know that other SUVs using combination "uni-frame" designs can be fitted with plows. I did a quick google for the Grand Cherokee and found this one easily enough.

Sorry, that's a completely academic point. In reality, there is no front-mounted plow for the Ridgeline. At least, none that I've ever seen. It's just that I see no reason to suspect the frame as the reason for that.
Bollocks
Profile for Bollocks
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2007 14:15
The ridgeline doesn't have a frame in the same vein as a body-on-frame truck. With the latter, the body itself is not significantly stressed, which means the frame itself must be significantly heavier duty. If you were to install a plow onto a ridgeline, you would have to consider that the frame walls are going to be thinner and lighter-duty than even a Canyon or Ranger.

As a whole, the Ridgeline is a far sturdier platform than either of those two wimpy trucks, but when it comes to snow plow attachments, a unique and far more sophisticated installation method would be required than that of a body-on-frame truck.

Another issue to consider is that the SRS system (which includes I believe piezo-resistors for impact sensors) has not been designed to account for blade impacts. Anyone who has used a plow knows how easily this can occur. The last thing you want is an air bag deploying in your face while trying to clear your driveway.

Conclusion: Buy a 1988 S-10 or something shitty like that as a plow vehicle, and use your ridgeline like the glorified sport ute it really is...
Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2007 12:24
Many good points in that post. I like your recommendation about a beater for plowing and your point about the SRS sensors.

Your suggestion about the Ridgeline's frame is interesting. It's plausible that the entire structure has the necessary rigidity because it includes both the body and frame. However, any one point on the frame may not be especially strong. That would explain why a plow attachment cannot be used. Unless the plow is bolted to 16 different locations on the vehicle (to spread the load), the attachment will fail.

It makes sense, but I can't reconcile it with everything. We just raise a few more questions.

For example, we know that a plow can be attached to the rear of the truck. You can also put a reasonable amount of stress on the frame with a tow hitch. So, does the rear of the frame have reinforced attachment points? (I'll have to check my brother-in-law's Ridgeline next time I see him.) Could Honda add similar attachments for the nose of the frame?

Also, while this weak walls theory explains why no attachments may be used, it does not explain the extremely low front GAWR rating for the Ridgeline.

SuperPlow
Profile for SuperPlow
Re: SNOW PLOW FOR RIDGELINE    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2007 07:55
Helllo Ridgeline entusiast! I am the new owner of SuperPlow, LLC and we would be happy to service all you snow plow needs. Honda AVFM we are seeking dealers around the US and Canada.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0