[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Amazing "2WD" Honda CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: HONDA CR-V AWD Fail!
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: What is the Swedish word for "lame"?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: V8 Supercars Bathurst 1000
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Standard Wheels On 4 Cyl. Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Fit (and Jazz) > > Re: Additional stuff

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
S2000TypeR
Profile for S2000TypeR
Different Mileage Specs    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 08:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I found a link to this pretty impressive Fit site (www.fitfreak.net).

On it, they have a significantly different spec for gas mileage.

1.5 VTEC Sport
Fuel Economy
city (mpg): 34.2
highway (mpg): 48.5
combined (mpg): 41.3

In Wong's Fit article on the asia.vtec site, he said that it was spec'd at 5.0 l/km (47mpg) and he was actually able to get 4.8 l/km (49mpg) for one stretch of highway.

I just have a hard time believing that Honda USA only spec'd it for 33/38 mpg. And just for comparison, a Kia Rio Cinco (1.5L, 104HP, 2500lbs) gets 31mpg highway.

I guess the only way to really figure out the gas mileage is to buy one. Oh well... I guess somebody's got to do it. ;)
NAfan
Profile for NAfan
Re: Different Mileage Specs    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 08:51
Well we have to take into consideration several factors before making any judgement on gas mileage. For one, is that listed fuel economy at fitfreak in imperial or US gallons?

Then the following:

-- US Fit's 1.5 VTEC is geared shorter than ROTW.

-- US Fit is heavier than Fits and Jazzes worldwide.

-- Differences in fuel used worldwide could make an impact.

-- The changes being made by the EPA suggest that all vehicles will see a significant change in estimated fuel economy with a drop of 10-15% up to 30% (probably for some hybrids)

IIRC, WongKN was only driving around 90kph during that fuel economy test. That would translate for us in the US to about 55/56 mph. If the EPA changes are already being put into effect (I see no other reason Honda lists "2007 EPA fuel estimates" rather than just "EPA fuel estimates"), then 38 mpg on our Fit would be driving at more realistic speed such as 70 mph.

But in the end...we really won't know about fuel economy until someone gets one.
NAfan
Profile for NAfan
Re: Additional stuff    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 09:06
Well I found two articles relating to these new EPA changes:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108908

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/10/Autos/detroit_epa/index.htm

But since the Edmund's article suggests that these new EPA estimates will go into effect in the 2008 MY, is Honda planning on adopting early like they did with the new SAE ratings?

Something tells me if they do, no one else will and all of a sudden people will be screaming foul about Honda's "lower" gas mileage, but I guess that's another topic of discussion.

In any case I need to note that differences in the US Fit vs Fit/Jazz elsewhere in fuel economy is also placed in the fact that every country has a different method for testing. I believe there are some estimates that are farther off than the current EPA tests, so for all we know, the US Fit may only differ by a small margin such as 1 or 2 mpg on either estimate.
hungarian83
Profile for hungarian83
Re: Additional stuff    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 10:22
"Something tells me if they do, no one else will and all of a sudden people will be screaming foul about Honda's "lower" gas mileage"

Yes, but that's short term. Assuming they did adopt early, what happens in 2008 if the fuel economy of every car in the US market suddenly drops 10-15% except the Fit?
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Additional stuff    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 10:33
Guys,

I still think the best way to put this topic to rest is for someone who's obsessed with fuel economy to buy one and compare the result he gets with that of the car he's just replaced.

BTW, if the new US EPA standard requires that the car be driven at 70mph or 110kph, then it would be very difficult to get 5.0l/100km. I once tried a journey at this speed - 110-120kph which is the speed limit on Malaysia's expressways and my average was 6.0-6.2l/100km which by coincidence works out to 37-38mpg US measure. The 5.0l/100km or 20km/l is for the Fit VTEC as measured by Japan's domestic 10.15 mode. Actually the JDM Fit VTEC is rated at around 19.8km/l which is around 5.1l/100km.

Again, I want to point out that I am getting way better mileage on my Jazz VTEC than I have been on my EK3 Civic Ferio which uses the lean-burn D15B 3-stage VTEC engine.

For what the results are worth... :)
RayChuang
Profile for RayChuang
Re: Additional stuff    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 11:09
I think the best way to determine fuel mileage is to go from two different EPA mileage numbers to nine different mileage numbers.

The nine numbers would calculated as follows:

1. Urban driving with a max speed of 25 mph with lots of stop and go opeation.

3. Surburban driving with a max speed of 45 mph with occasional stop and go operation.

3. Freeway driving with a max speed of 65 mph continuously.

Each test will be done at 0 C. (to simulate winter conditions) with lots of heater use, 20 C. (to simulate spring and fall conditions) with occasional heater/air conditioner use, and 35 C. (to simulate summer conditions) with lots of air conditioner use.

This would probably result in the most accurate fuel mileage estimates ever recorded.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0