[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda XR-V for China
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Driving Honda - The Book
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: New Michelin model anytime soon?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2016 Integra redux
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> F1 - 2014 Italian Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Inverview with Acura's Design Chief
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord facelift in Russia
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Repair and Maintenance > > Re: Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Sad_Honda
Profile for Sad_Honda
Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2005 20:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
This car actually has two mysterious problems. First, it has a mysterious coolant leak that no mechanic seems to be able to trace. The only answer to this is that it may be a very small internal leak via the head gasket. Every few weeks I have to top off the radiator and overfill tank so that the temp gauge doesn't start creeping back into the red. At one point, a mechanic told us it was the water pump and we forked over the $$ to replace it, but it did not solve the problem.

Second, and most critical, is a mysterious stalling at traffic lights and stop signs. My wife drives this car mainly and says she is afraid the car will die if she uses the a/c when it is in this stalling mode. That isn't fun - try going without a/c on a midsummer North Texas day!

Anyhow, what gives? We have been to several mechanics and none have been able to diagnose it. Any ideas?
aspst11
Profile for aspst11
Re: Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2005 20:35
Join the club, pal. I've had the same stalling/ac problem all summer too. Three trips to the mechanic later and I still have the same problem. It seem like it's one of those things that can't be fixed. I'm looking for a new car now.
Sad_Honda
Profile for Sad_Honda
Re: Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2005 21:07
Yikes. This does not bode well!

Hey listen, I did some research on the Web and here's what I came up with so far. Someone else had this same problem on another forum and suggested the following:

1) Change your fuel filter.
2) Clean throttle body.
3) Lubricate the cable that operates the throttle.
4) Change the oxygen sensor.

I am going to take my car back to the mechanic on Monday to check up on these things. I hate to spend money not knowing due to the fact that I am currenly unemployed and disabled...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess. My only other thought is to replace the whole darn engine...

Perhaps you could check with your mechanic as well regarding these steps...but I will try to update you on the status of this.
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2005 21:56
There is a dye you can add to the coolant that lumineces(sp?) under blacklight. Your mechanic should be able to get a hold of it. Add some to the coolant then drive around for a day or two. Then open the oil filer cap/pull the dip stick and see if the oil glows.

The stalling could be a clogged IAC valve. I know its giving me some idle issues on my gfs '92 Integra.
Quint Integra
Profile for Quint Integra
Re: Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-17-2005 18:37
The mysterious coolant leak may in fact be an internal leak from one of the water jacket passages on the cylinder block leaking into the combustion chamber.
The only way to check this properly is to remove the head from the engine to see if this is the case, since its presently a small leak; but as time goes by and mileage passes, this small leak will only get worse.
You will also need to have the head and blocks mating surfaces checked for trueness, and quite possibly the heads mating surface may now have a channel grooved into it where the leak is.

I'm not sure if you are the original owner of this car but it is now getting on in age being a 93 model, and the stalling issue might in fact be an ignition related problem.
Its worth looking at the ignition switches contacter plate, this is the unit at the bottom of the switch assembly that has the wires and spring loaded contacts which make the necessary circuits possible for starting and running the vehicle.
You can remove it quite easily and dissassemble the part to inspect the inner workings.
If the plastic upper white part holding the springs and contact plates is slightly melted or they seem to be sticking when you press on them with your finger, you know its faulty. Also these same brass parts will be discoloured slightly as well from the high resistance of intermittant contact.
Its worth looking into as a possible cause.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-17-2005 20:10
Best solution to your problem. With tears in your heart drive the car directly to the junker, from there head to the nearest honda dealer and buy a new civic!
Sad_Honda
Profile for Sad_Honda
Re: Help! Mysterious Stalling/Coolant Leak Problem on '93 Honda Civic DX    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2005 19:37
Well I took the car back to the mechanic today, and what do you know, they found oil leaking into the distributor. The mechanic then replaced the distributor, put in new ignition cables, and replaced the spark plugs. This should resolve the problem of the stalling, but I suppose the coolant leak problem will continue. I suppose it bought more time before we have to replace the car, which is a good thing. The bad thing was the damn bill - nearly $600.

Thanks to all for your comments - they may well have contributed to fixing the problem.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0