[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Bloomberg: ASIMO gives Honda edge in driverless cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: If there was a TLX Wagon
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda S3700 is racing...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some random NYIAS thoughts on auto interiors
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Converting to HID lights in 13 or 14' Accord...
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2016 RDX Upgrade Predictions
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: Acura NSX....How it's going to be sold in the US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Any rumors about Honda F1 engine progress?
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: My review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura Style Magazine - Out of touch?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: latest CTR details - megane 275r 7:45 minutes
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2006 Acura Lineup Summary of Changes > > Re: TL HP hit

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2005 11:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ouch, the TL's HP went from 270 to 258. That going to hurt in the ads. I wonder if other manufacturers are going to do the same, if not, Honda's numbers are going to "look" bad.
Type R-Positive
Profile for Type R-Positive
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2005 11:27
If it's any consolation, the Camry HP dropped almost 10% (190hp 3.0L/ 210hp 3.3L)...

I would guess everybody (who is honest, at least) is going to see some drop in "old" (pre-2005) engines.
osaze
Profile for osaze
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2005 19:47
Are we saying here that the new SAE standard forces engine makers to report actual as opposed to the purported HP. Have we been duped all along into thinking that we have more HP when in fact we don't. I wonder if BMW is the only car maker who had it right all along.
Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2005 22:12
osaze wrote:
Are we saying here that the new SAE standard forces engine makers to report actual as opposed to the purported HP. Have we been duped all along into thinking that we have more HP when in fact we don't. I wonder if BMW is the only car maker who had it right all along.

Since when did cars put down 100% of engine power at the wheels? This is no different. Think of it as more drivetrain loss is being reported.

For a car rated with old standard at 270 HP, we assumed 15% drive train loss and expected about 225-230 HP. You can still expect the same, except that now you would be getting nearly 90% of the rated power to the ground.

The standard doesn't change the output of the engine, just how couple of accessories could affect and reduce the effective HP.
osaze
Profile for osaze
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2005 00:53
So let me see if I get this. I have a hundred dollar bill, but now the goverment has decided, due to inflation, that all 100 dollar bills are now worth $90. But instead of calling it is a 100 dollar bill we keep calling it a $90 dollar bill, even though it is worth $100. The justification is that the $10 is lost to inflationary excesses, say on the price of fuel. It still makes no sense, why not just call the damn thing a 100 bill.
cobalt
Profile for cobalt
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2005 01:31
osaze wrote:
So let me see if I get this. I have a hundred dollar bill, but now the goverment has decided, due to inflation, that all 100 dollar bills are now worth $90. But instead of calling it is a 100 dollar bill we keep calling it a $90 dollar bill, even though it is worth $100. The justification is that the $10 is lost to inflationary excesses, say on the price of fuel. It still makes no sense, why not just call the damn thing a 100 bill.

Maybe you should use state taxes (where states are a little like manufacturers) instead of inflation:

You have a hundred dollar bill, but the government has now decided that you must report how much you have as a function of how much you can actually buy after sales tax. If you live in a state with a high sales tax, you tell people you can buy $90 worth of stuff. If you live in a state with a low sales tax, you can tell people you can buy $95 worth of stuff. It doesn't change the fact that you still have a piece of paper that puts out $100, but depending on what state you combine it with, you might have to report it differently, usually lower.
HXer
Profile for HXer
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2005 10:46
osaze wrote:

The analogy is flawed. It's more like this... You're not spending currency, you have a lump of gold (HP). Under the old system, you take your gold to the jeweler (auto manufacturer) and they weigh it and they tell you it's 100 grams. But if you go to a different jeweler, they might tell you it's 105 grams, because they use a different balance (dyno/env. conditions). In reality your gold is more like 97 grams, and when you go to spend it (on the road), you're only going to get 97 grams worth of gold out of it. What's happening is the SAE is saying to the jewelers, hey, you should measure gold more accurately now. The size of the gram (the strength of a horse) is not changing. The jewelers were lying to you all along, and it was only a problem because you didn't know how much each one was lying by. This is just an attempt to make everyone use the same system so you can compare one jeweler's balance to another's (Honda HP numbers vs. Nissan HP numbers).
Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2005 11:41
osaze wrote:

Like already pointed out, your analogy is flawed. The cars will not be performing any worse or better than they do now simply because a new standard has been introduced to rate the powertrain output. Remember, the performance depends on how many horses are delivered at the wheels, and that was never 100% of the engine output. We always assumed 15-20% of the power is lost in translation.

What changes now? NOT the power at the wheels. There is an added loss of 4-5% being reported with this new standard BUT that also means that you can now assume only 10-15% of the rated power will be lost in translation. So, the chassis dyno will be closer to the rated output than it was earlier.

It means nothing when you're driving around, only when you look at the spec sheet.
iNteGRaz92
Profile for iNteGRaz92
wow... just... wow (n/t) [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2005 14:11
n/t
STL
Profile for STL
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2005 14:33
I didn't think BMW had even adopted the new standard yet. Until they do that and confirm their engines are still rated at the same HP numbers under the new standard, I don't how you can make the claim.
CSi
Profile for CSi
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2005 21:11
Type R-Positive wrote:
If it's any consolation, the Camry HP dropped almost 10% (190hp 3.0L/ 210hp 3.3L)...

I would guess everybody (who is honest, at least) is going to see some drop in "old" (pre-2005) engines.

damm thats shitty output for a V6.
dnc1972
Profile for dnc1972
Re: TL HP hit [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-23-2005 13:08
Here is a fun question for everyone. Now that we know that the TL isnít delivering a true 270 hp at the wheels, what mods would you make to achieve such a delivery without sacrificing the integrity of the vehicle? i/e: exhaust notes, appearance, etc.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy