[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Honda Fit up for Green Car of the Year
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> FS: 2013 Accord Coupe V6 6spd Manual *low miles)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...Honda needs to put up
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: FS; 2006 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6 Speed Coupe 15000 miles Like New
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Honda Carplay
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: "Game-Changing TLX"
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors-Drivers
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!! NSXPO 2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What does having a VIN # mean?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> TLX Launch Package
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Pursuit of Arete
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
boomer2
Profile for boomer2
2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-30-2005 10:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My father owns a 2004 Honda Accord 4 cylinder sedan. Whenever he puts it in reverse after it has sat all night (or a sufficient length of time for the engine to cool down), it quickly backs up at nearly 10+ mph. Once the engine has warmed up sufficiently, it no longer reverses at this rate. The dealer insists that it is a common feature of 2004 Accords, but both my father and I believe it is not. At nearly 10+ mph, it must be a safety issue that I don't believe Honda would simply leave alone. Does anyone else share this experience or have any advice as to what might be wrong. I suspect that it is a 'computer' problem, but really don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
markere
Profile for markere
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-30-2005 13:47
My 2003 4cyl does the exact same thing. It has done it from day 1. I never thought anything of it but once my dad drove it and said it was dangerous. So we took it into the Honda dealership and they checked it out and said it was normal. They even let me try a new '04 Accord and it did the same thing. Not sure why it happens but I guess just be careful when backing up and keep your foot on the brake.
civic_cx_92
Profile for civic_cx_92
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-30-2005 14:06
boomer2 wrote:
My father owns a 2004 Honda Accord 4 cylinder sedan. Whenever he puts it in reverse after it has sat all night (or a sufficient length of time for the engine to cool down), it quickly backs up at nearly 10+ mph. Once the engine has warmed up sufficiently, it no longer reverses at this rate. The dealer insists that it is a common feature of 2004 Accords, but both my father and I believe it is not. At nearly 10+ mph, it must be a safety issue that I don't believe Honda would simply leave alone. Does anyone else share this experience or have any advice as to what might be wrong. I suspect that it is a 'computer' problem, but really don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have a 2004 Accord 4 cylinder manual and do not have this problem. This might be because of throttle body sticking at high idle during warm up... blip the throttle before shifting and it should go away.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-30-2005 15:09
As with all Hondas, the idle speed is around 1500 RPMs when the coolant is below normal operating temperature. As a result, on automatic transmission vehicles, this will cause the "idle" speed to be much higher than when the coolant temperature is at normal temperature.

Considering you have to have your foot on the brake to shift out of park, it doesn't seem like much of a safety issue to me, especially if you're expecting it.

Ryan
kimdoohanoyabong
Profile for kimdoohanoyabong
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-30-2005 20:39
my 04 EX-L always does that when being reversed in the morning.
after my mom once got it smacked on the concrete wall when she reversed it, I always park it front end facing out (u know what i mean, right?). i don't think that's that much problem.
LilChowWow
Profile for LilChowWow
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-30-2005 22:08
my 200 oddessy does that too when its cold.. mut my accord doesnt.. I should try that when the engine is cold.. but yes its becuase the engine idles at around 1300rpm when it isnt warmed up yet and shifting it to reverse.. well. thats at 1300rpm.

but why would you do that?? let your honda warm up a little first!
rjairam
Profile for rjairam
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2005 15:43
Try re-doing the idle learn procedure and see if that helps:

Disconnect your battery for a few minutes to clear out the computer, then turn the key to ON (do not start yet) for 2 seconds. Then start the car and hold it at 3000 RPM until the radiator fan comes on. Then let it idle for about 5 minutes.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2005 15:58
rjairam wrote:

Disconnect your battery for a few minutes to clear out the computer, then turn the key to ON (do not start yet) for 2 seconds. Then start the car and hold it at 3000 RPM until the radiator fan comes on. Then let it idle for about 5 minutes.

This will not help. The car does not need to "re-learn" the idle speed.

Ryan
Quint Integra
Profile for Quint Integra
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2005 16:12
Actually thats not the correct procedure for doing an idle learn on any Honda with out an idle screw on the TB. FWIW you are supposed to remove the battery cable for at least 5 minutes and then reconnect it, start the car with all accessories off, as in lights, a/c etc, and let it idle for at least 10 minutes, or two full cycles of the cooling fan when from cold.
This however will not stop the problem with the cold start speed as mentioned here in this thread.
rjairam
Profile for rjairam
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2005 18:05
Quint Integra wrote:
Actually thats not the correct procedure for doing an idle learn on any Honda with out an idle screw on the TB. FWIW you are supposed to remove the battery cable for at least 5 minutes and then reconnect it, start the car with all accessories off, as in lights, a/c etc, and let it idle for at least 10 minutes, or two full cycles of the cooling fan when from cold.
This however will not stop the problem with the cold start speed as mentioned here in this thread.

Where did you get this information from?

My information about the PCM idle learn procedure is from Honda's instructions. Check out the procedure for the civic's security system. On the last page is the PCM idle learn procedure:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/05sec.pdf
rjairam
Profile for rjairam
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2005 18:06
RyanDL wrote:
rjairam wrote:

This will not help. The car does not need to "re-learn" the idle speed.

Ryan

Others have said that it does help. In any case it does not hurt to try.
Tom91LX
Profile for Tom91LX
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2005 20:06
My '05 Accord (EX-L, 4-cyl, auto) does the same thing and it drives me crazy. What's really odd is that the cold idle will not kick in until the car starts moving. I can start it and leave it in park, or put it in reverse and keep my foot on the brake to keep the car from moving, and the idle will not increase. But within 1-2 seconds of letting up on the brakes enough to allow the car to start moving, WHOA! It's a very large jump in the idle speed and it really caught me by surprise until I learned to expect it. This is the 5th automatic Honda I've owned and none of the previous ones did this -- they'd all go right up to the cold idle speed as soon as I turned the key.

I suspect, for fuel economy and/or emissions, the ECU might be programmed to delay setting the cold idle speed until the car is put in motion. In Honda's relentless efficiency, maybe they don't see any point in having the motor racing away at the cold idle speed if the car isn't moving. Maybe they're thinking of the wasted fuel and pollution caused by people who start their car in the winter and let it run 10 minutes before driving it. If this was their intent, I can sort of understand the logic, but I wish they would have mentioned it in the owner's manual because it is pretty startling and potentially dangerous.

Quint Integra
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2005 08:21
The information about idle learn procedure comes from the Honda TSB issued pertaining to doing this when performing a PDI or any service/maintainance work that involves removal of the battery leads from the car.
rjairam
Profile for rjairam
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2005 11:36
Quint Integra wrote:
The information about idle learn procedure comes from the Honda TSB issued pertaining to doing this when performing a PDI or any service/maintainance work that involves removal of the battery leads from the car.

Do you have a sample TSB? I have never seen any TSB that describes the procedure you mention.
Quint Integra
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2005 13:42
I will have to pull out my files on TSBs and see which one it was on. As a service technican these are the things that after seeing the TSB issued, i commit them to memory, same goes for other things like valve clearances and PDI procedures etc.
I'll have a look through the TSB files tomorrow and get back to you.
LadyAccord
Profile for LadyAccord
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2005 18:20
Well, I have a 2003 EXL I-4 Accord Coupe, and anytime you step on that gas it moves quickly. The car is powerful, so I think you just have to watch how much pressure you put on the gas. I barely have to touch the pedal and this car wants to take off.

It's fast, that's all I have to say. :)
Quint Integra
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-14-2005 15:56
Ok as you requested rjairam, for what its worth, the PDI schedule notes idle learn procedure as follows:
Service bulletin 04-046 for PDI Oct 04.
To ensure a steady engine idle do the idle learn procedure after installing the no 15 fuse.This procedure must also be done after updating or replacing the ECM/PCM.
1 Make sure all electrical items (A/C,audio unit,defogger,lights, etc) are turned off.
2 Start the engine,and let it reach its normal operatiing temperature(cooling fans cycle twice)
3 Let the engine idle (throttle body fully closed and all electrical items off) for 10 minutes.
AlienMr
Profile for AlienMr
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-14-2005 23:50
I have a 95 Accord, so I don't how helpful this will be, but after ignition, my idle RPM is high until the coolant is warm. No matter if the coolant is warm or not, after shifting out of park into anything except neutral, the RPM goes down to 500. I've always reversed with my foot on the brake anyway.
gilbert
Profile for gilbert
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2005 03:03
That's weird. I wonder if that's a feature. I know that on all of the manual transmission Hondas I've owned, the car idles fast until a certain temperature is reached. I'm sure that the automatics do that, but maybe you don't want to idle fast if you're not moving (transmission wear). hmmm...

I'll watch my car tomorrow morning, but it's almost 90 degrees here at night so I doubt it will take long for me to warm up the coolant. ;)

Gilbert

Tom91LX wrote:
My '05 Accord (EX-L, 4-cyl, auto) does the same thing and it drives me crazy. What's really odd is that the cold idle will not kick in until the car starts moving. I can start it and leave it in park, or put it in reverse and keep my foot on the brake to keep the car from moving, and the idle will not increase. But within 1-2 seconds of letting up on the brakes enough to allow the car to start moving, WHOA! It's a very large jump in the idle speed and it really caught me by surprise until I learned to expect it. This is the 5th automatic Honda I've owned and none of the previous ones did this -- they'd all go right up to the cold idle speed as soon as I turned the key.

I suspect, for fuel economy and/or emissions, the ECU might be programmed to delay setting the cold idle speed until the car is put in motion. In Honda's relentless efficiency, maybe they don't see any point in having the motor racing away at the cold idle speed if the car isn't moving. Maybe they're thinking of the wasted fuel and pollution caused by people who start their car in the winter and let it run 10 minutes before driving it. If this was their intent, I can sort of understand the logic, but I wish they would have mentioned it in the owner's manual because it is pretty startling and potentially dangerous.

mikemanW075
Profile for mikemanW075
Re: 2004 Accord Quick Reverse    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2005 09:25
All of our Hondas and Acuras over the years have done this. I never even gave it a second thought in fact I sort of like this attribute.
This applies to our '87 Acura Integra LS(Gone but never forgotten), '97 Honda Civic EX and '02 Honda CR-V EX. In fact our '92 Toyota Camry four cylinder does this as well, too bad its so slow the rest of the time, LOL.
Just keep your foot on the brake when backing and you'll be fine.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0