[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Integra > > Re: What are the facts on the ls/vtec?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
96tegls
Profile for 96tegls
What are the facts on the ls/vtec?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2002 18:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Does anybody out there have any personal experiences or personal stories to share about ls/vtec (pro and con)? My mildy modified LS is great for around-town driving and local street use. Though, when revving it up on the highway, it runs outta steam past 5000 rpm. I thought about adding some higher-lift cams, but doing so appears to be at some detriment to lower-rpm driving. So in theory, adding vtec would help here. My goal is to create an pepped up integra that's still reasonably reliable.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What are the facts on the ls/vtec?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2002 22:36
THis is a good way to pep up your LS motor without spending huge dollars. However, be aware. The LS bottom end is nowhere near as good as the B18C crank/rods/etc. That doesn't mean reliability needs to be compromised, but if you push an LS/VTEC hard, it will fail before a similarly built B18C engine. Therefore, I suggest that if you pursue this option, keep the revs to about 8000 rpm. Won't really cost you much (if any) power, and you'll be able to keep your engine together for a long time.

SC
dmc
Profile for dmc
Re: What are the facts on the ls/vtec?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2002 09:13
I've done the LS/VTEC, it makes a world of difference, pulls hard right to redline and no reliability problems! Sounds so sweet too...
Nickc
Profile for Nickc
Re: What are the facts on the ls/vtec?    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2002 10:15
I understand the differences between the LS and b18C. Lower compression, different trans, ect. If the bottom end is so much better on a B18C vs LS then why do you get more power from LS/Vtec swap motor opposed to a stock B18C?
gbpracing
Profile for gbpracing
Re: What are the facts on the ls/vtec?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2009 21:49
Hi there, I built my LS/Vtec some years ago. If you have read the story on the Black Beast you will see the specs on the build. Before I did the mods to my B18a motor I had my engine slightly pepped up, k&N air pod, headers and a chip. It went quite well for a stock motor. The best thing about the B18a is it has good torque. I did try some WEB cams, had them fitted by a Honda service dealership, only to have my engine fail after some months, due to valve train vailure.
When fitting cams its more invloved than you think. So many areas are affected and you need to ensure those areas are covered off, for instance, valve springs, piston to valve clearance, head flow to capitalise on having those cams particularly if going higher lift. Also your engine management to regulate your fuel requirements. You cant simply put in a set of high lift cams and drive. And the biggest word of caution that I have learnt, be very fussy about the cams you choose. My experiance with the Web Cams cost me an engine rebuild because I didnt know that the cams were regrinds with a reduced base circle. I didnt do my homework simple as that.
So you say you run out of steam past 5000rpm not sure what gearbox you have but I have tried both B18a and B16a cable gearboxes and For street I was happy with the B18a, for track the B16a was sensational. Now I have the TypeR hydro box in my racecar. I would like to know more about your ride and where abouts your from. Plenty of good advice on here, depending on each persons actual experiance's.
In finishing, I have nothing but good things to say about both the LS B18 non vtec and the B16a vtec as well as the hybrid of the two as I have experianced them all on street and the track. Each has its strenghts and very few weaknesses.
happy to chat some more :-)

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0