[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
Accord --> Re: Accord LX or Sport - Canada
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: AWD in RDX/2015 and Forester/2015
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX SH-AWD Quick Review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX(CLX)Coupe
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Most recent pictures of my CNG Civic
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors-Drivers
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Strictly Technical > > Re: crankcase ventilation, breather filters, etc

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
vivalfuego
Profile for vivalfuego
crankcase ventilation, breather filters, etc    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2002 12:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
right now the PCV is hooked into my intake, though i know some people just put little circular breather filters directly onto the crankcase. does having this hot hair vent to the engine bay instead of back into the intake actually help performance, or is it just a cosmetic thing?
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: crankcase ventilation, breather filters, etc    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2002 12:14
The theory behind plugging the PCV tube in the intake is that it will help to reduce turbulence in the intake charge. It is not emissions legal, since the fumes are vented into the atmosphere instead of the cylinder, although I passed inspection with my Integra.

Does it do anything? Doubt it. It sounds good in theory, though.

Ryan
NonovUrbizniz
Profile for NonovUrbizniz
Re: crankcase ventilation, breather filters, etc    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2002 14:15
"The theory behind plugging the PCV tube in the intake is that it will help to reduce turbulence in the intake charge."

--No it is to vent fumes which build up in the crankcase under high rpm acceleration/braking. It is a closed system by design. However when you disconnect that line it is no longer a closed system.

"plugging the PCV tube in the intake "
this is not the pcv it is the crankcase vent. the pcv or "Possitive Crankcase Vent" is located closer to the Intake manifold not the intake tube.

"It is not emissions legal since the fumes are vented into the atmosphere instead of the cylinder, although I passed inspection with my Integra." - true

"Does it do anything? Doubt it. It sounds good in theory, though."

Yes it does do something...

the following is copied from a faq on Team-Integra.net

"- Are breather filters really bad?
Yes they are. Read further for why.

"Here's the stock PCV diagram from the Helms manual. On the left is a cutaway view of the engine. On the right is a cutaway view of the stock intake. In the middle are the separate breather circuit and the PCV valve circuit:

all you have to learn is how the fresh air cicuit flows (follow the open white arrow) and how the crankcase vapor (with oil vapors in it ) circuit flows (follow the black arrows). Notice which circuit flows to the valve cover (on top of the engine on the left)....it's NOT the crankcase vapors. When you add a breather, you remove the line from the intake to the valve cover.

The honda crankcase breather is a POSITIVE pressure ventilation system.The air from the intake blows into the valve cover. It is NOT a negative pressure ventilation system...it does NOT suck air from the valvecover to the intake.

Breathers remove the source of positive ventilation that repressurizes the POSTIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) valve.

There is less pressure in the crank when you add a breather at the valve cover. The consequence of this is you get more positive blow-by from the combustion chamber past the piston rings and into the crankcase. More blow-by means less cylinder pressure...less cylinder pressure means the burn is slower and less complete...the result is more emissions and less power.

If you want to do this right and remove oil vapor from the circulating crankcase before it goes into the intake valve then, get an oilcatch can and put a breather on the catch can. Then place the catch can in between the valve cover breather and the PCV valve.

Disconnecting the breather tube, which blows fresh intake air into the valve cover, and placing a breather on the valve cover just creates more blow-by and emissions. Eventually you have so much blow-by, you lose power. "

vivalfuego
Profile for vivalfuego
Re: crankcase ventilation, breather filters, etc    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2002 14:21
thanks alot, that cleared it up.
good thing i didnt get suckered into buying one of those...
NonovUrbizniz
Re: crankcase ventilation, breather filters, etc    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2002 22:11
if your conserned about the oil fumes being recycled back into your intake you can either build or but a "crankcase-vent oil catch can" this device is meant to catch any oil that is in the air being vented from the crankcase. there are several diy instructions on the net. im planning on building one myself that's a little more complicated than ones i've seen for sale or for the DIY'er. when i get it done i'll probobly post instrutions and design somewhere if there's any interest.
NonovUrbizniz
Re: crankcase ventilation, breather filters, etc    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2002 22:11
if your conserned about the oil fumes being recycled back into your intake you can either build or but a "crankcase-vent oil catch can" this device is meant to catch any oil that is in the air being vented from the crankcase. there are several diy instructions on the net. im planning on building one myself that's a little more complicated than ones i've seen for sale or for the DIY'er. when i get it done i'll probobly post instrutions and design somewhere if there's any interest.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0