[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordscheife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Accord Lover
Profile for Accord Lover
What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2004 18:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What kind of engine oil does Honda put in their cars when they first roll off of the factory? and do dealers use the same thing?
frankB
Profile for frankB
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2004 00:38
There's a number of threads on this at www.bobistheoilguy.com:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001374
I have 3,000 miles on my V6. I'm torn on what to do. There's seems to be varying opinion on going all the way to 7,500. I do freeway miles, and have had only 1 day over 90 degrees - hardly qualifies as severe service.

To answer your question, on the above thread the posters seems to agree the factory filll has a high amount of Mo to protect the engine.
Accord Lover
Profile for Accord Lover
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2004 01:13
Ok...those guys are too hard for me to understand......anyways, I changed my oil at a honda dealership and it seems like that according to the website, the factory oil lasts less. Is that true? manual says I should change every 7500 miles and I have been changing it every 7500 miles. this is the first time that I changed at a dealership though. I want to know how long the factory oil lasts.
LilChowWow
Profile for LilChowWow
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2004 01:56
I think they use stuff from petro canada in canada
frankB
Profile for frankB
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2004 12:31
Over on "oil guy" they seem to think Honda uses Mobil oil in the US (AKA Exxon). Personally, I'd go 7,500 if I were using sythetic, and about 4,000 with non-sythetic. If you want to use sythetic, buy the oil yourself, and ask them to use your oil at the dealer. Hopefully, you can see the oil change bay, so you make sure it goes in (only partly kidding). One option (ok, this might be obsessive) is that for $20 you can have your oil analyzed. That will give you a really good idea if you're drain interval is right, and that the oil is right for your car. Basically, if either is wrong, the oil will start to carry increased amounts of metal (this is bad). A common ones is Blackstone. The analysis will include a narrative description of how your oil is holding up, including estimates of how much more or less time you have on the oil. Collection kits are free. I think it's a good investment to do a few times, and make sure you're on track. Good luck.
Accord Lover
Profile for Accord Lover
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2004 14:04
Ok.....I've been changing oil at a wal-mart and I think they put buncha Pennzoil crap. and I have been using them for 2 years every 7500 miles. How is that going to be bad? nothing noticable yet but what will be result of that?
frankB
Profile for frankB
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2004 16:42
Again, everything I'm saying is just my 2 cents. I think 7,500 is on the long side for non-synthetic oil. Test it, and make sure. My '91 Accord will be passed onto my son in the coming weeks. It's has 430K miles on the original engine. I think good lubrication doesn't show it's benefits until over 100K miles or 5-6 years. One interesting anecdote, I've mentioned before: On my '91, if I don't use synthetic oil, and the valves rattle when the engine's cold. With synthetic, no rattle. Car's been on synthetic for 250K miles. Prior to that I did oil and filter each 3,000. Driving mostly freeway. Synthetic is definitely a different animal. Whether it's worth the extra cost, is an unclear choice. Unless of course, you want to dig through the oil analyses on bobistheoilguy. ;-)
lee_dec_28
Profile for lee_dec_28
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2004 10:14
Honda oil is made by Mobil, it says so on the bottle. For whatever its worth...
THX1720
Profile for THX1720
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2004 21:37
No the dealers do not use the same oil that the Hondas come with. From what I understand, the Hondas come out of the factory with a "special" break-in oil that is very expensive and can't be bought. This is from a friend's friend who is a Honda mechanic.
frankB
Profile for frankB
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2004 22:00
If you check out the used oil analysis over at bobistheoilguy, the factory fill is basically a non-synthetic oil, 5w20 with lots of molybdenum. This coats engine parts, minimizing ware.
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2004 00:01
I've heard the moly part before. I'm wondering though.

When they are assembling the engines they no doubt use a healthy amount of assembly lube which is probably high in moly content.

I think it would be reasonable to assume that the factory fill is just the normal 5w20, and that the high moly content is directly rated to the assembly lube rather than a standalone add-in.
frankB
Profile for frankB
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2004 06:12
Analysis of Honda OEM 5w20, prior to use, also shows high amounts of moly. I'm guessing Honda likes it. It's about 250 ppm, where the factory fill runs 475 ppm. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000730#000003
gogzy
Profile for gogzy
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2004 09:42
don't worry, Pennzoil is a good dino oil. it's cheap and very good oil, and has plenty of moly in it!! there are lots of good reviews about it.
gogzy
Profile for gogzy
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2004 09:47
Honda used to use dino Mobil at dealer but they switch to Castrol last year. not sure about the factory fill but lots owner experiences oil consumption with the factory fill, did this cause by new engine or this type of oil, i don't know.
frankB
Profile for frankB
Re: What kind of engine oil does Honda use?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2004 19:56
Pennzoil's good. Some moly, but not quite a much as Honda OEM. Like lee_dec_28 said though, the bottled Honda oil in the US is Mobil. My dealer uses Castrol for most oil changes, because that's who they use for bulk oil.

On the factory fill, where have you seen the consumption problems? I read about one guy who blamed his oil consumption on only leaving the factory fill in for a few hundred miles.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0