[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
General Talk --> Re: Porsche 918 tested in the USA.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Europe 2015 Engine Lineup
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I completely forgot about this Honda concept!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord Coupe 4 cylinder or V6?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> An idea.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Opinions on Hellaflush
Join Discussion......
Videos --> 6G Celica in Homemade Demo Derby-- Had balls.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Best burger in Anaheim, California???
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: What is this on the window?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: NSX mule burns to the ground on the Ring!
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: SE trim for 2015 Civic
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: A quick 2014 Accord review
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord Coupe 4 cylinder or V6?
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Integra > > Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
K_Havok
Profile for K_Havok
Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2004 21:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
i have a 90 Integra gs with Ls/Vtec, aem cold air intake, and a 2 1/4" catback exhaust. my car was running decent before I did a tune up on it, replaced the cap, rotor, spark plugs, and now my car dies on me when i leave from a stop, sometimes my car doesn't start right away or starts but dies soon after. the rpms drop when I try to accelerate sometimes. I am still learning my ls/v teg, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!?!?
mythias2600
Profile for mythias2600
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2004 22:24
Its reasons like this I am against the LS/VTEC and say just get a b18c1. But anyway, if your car ran fine before, and does not now, its most liekly something you have changed. Are you using the proper spark plugs with the proper gap? At a stop does you idle keep changing? it could be a vacuum issue. Especially if when you do acellerate and it bucks a bit. There are many things it could be... and there are many problems with a ls/vtec, even though those on the board who have one that runs fine will disagree, I hear many more people who have problems.. some much worse than yours.
K_Havok
Profile for K_Havok
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2004 17:57
sorry that youre not a fan but i was happy with my lsv up till a couple days ago. my car puts out 200+ hp and its a daily driver. just cant figure out what is causing the engine problems. the idle just drops when i slow down or stop then my car dies and sometimes wont start up. what do ls vtecs use in terms of spark plugs for a 90 lsvtec integra, plugs for gs-r or ls? Does anyone know what the spark plug gap for ls vtec should be? i been using .029 but I started out using the plugs at .044, then .035, then .029, to no avail.
acuraintdohc
Profile for acuraintdohc
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2004 15:55
Okay, the whole LS/VTEC wars can wait lol. I have a 94 RS and when my car did the won't start or start and die crap, I had to replace the ignitor. It worked perfectly after that. Now you can resume the bickering.
mythias2600
Profile for mythias2600
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2004 21:08
K_Havok wrote:
my car puts out 200+ hp and its a daily driver. j

What other mods do you have to make it over 200hp, because with just the lsvtec, you will NOT be in the 200+ HP range. You would be in the 172 to 182 range, at the crank. And if you had it dyno'd, then that would mean 200hp at the wheels, which just isnt gonna happen with just the conversion.
mythias2600
Profile for mythias2600
Edit to post:    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2004 15:54
And just CAI and a cat back wont yield those numbers...
K_Havok
Profile for K_Havok
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2004 20:50
Thanks all for the help! I fixed my issue, it was the distributor. And a special thanks to mythias2600 for some really useless info on my car that you know nothing about. I have stripped alot of the interior, some unnecessary things under the hood, changed out pistons, bored to 2.0 instead of 1.8L, timing, cai, 21/4catback, lighter wheels, cf hood, some other shit but thanks for the lesson you sure set me straight jerkoff! I will NOT be in the 200 hp range, hahahahaha stfu! Are you a human dyno? Computing everything in your head to figure out my power band!
jes98gsr
Profile for jes98gsr
*** Moderator Warning ***    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2004 02:00
Whoa! Let's cool it, okay you guys?

This is probably a good time to review the TOV Policies and Guidelines.

K_Havok, I'm glad the problem was easily fixed.

Last edited by jes98gsr on 05-17-2004 02:02
TurboTegGSR
Profile for TurboTegGSR
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2004 20:54
K_Havok wrote:
Thanks all for the help! I fixed my issue, it was the distributor. And a special thanks to mythias2600 for some really useless info on my car that you know nothing about. I have stripped alot of the interior, some unnecessary things under the hood, changed out pistons, bored to 2.0 instead of 1.8L, timing, cai, 21/4catback, lighter wheels, cf hood, some other shit but thanks for the lesson you sure set me straight jerkoff! I will NOT be in the 200 hp range, hahahahaha stfu! Are you a human dyno? Computing everything in your head to figure out my power band!

hmmm not to be a dick but you say its a 2.0 liter that must mean you are running at least a 84mm bore if you are using a stock ls 89mm crank. you cant safely bore a b18 open deck block to 84mm. the biggest oversize honda oem pistons are .010 over. which you get you to 81.5mm bore and a 1.85liter displacement. so lets say you treated this b18 block like a domestic big block and went .060 over that would get you 82.5mm bore and 1.9liters. the only honda b-series block that can support a 2.0 liter on stock bores or sleeves is the b20 which comes standard with an 84mm bore. the most you can generally over bore safely without warpage and loss of material is .025 which would get you 81.635mm and get you 1.86liters but honda doesnt offer a piston this size. the biggest they offer is a .010 over or .25mm bigger which would be 81.25mm bore and a 1.85liter displacement. so in other words you forgot to mention that you have a sleeved 84mm gem or darton short block with matching 84mm pistons at least 10:1 compression with ctr intake and itr exhaust cams and a p72 head since you would use this head because of its quench area and smaller cc volume since you can so easily on all honda oem long block parts hit 200whp. my point is defend yourself with logical thinking not acting like an e-thug.
TurboTegGSR
Profile for TurboTegGSR
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2004 21:07
further more i dont care how much timing advance you ran full on advance with you nothching the dizzy to say 25 degrees static and 45 total advance somthing insane it aint gonna get you 200. cf hoods dont add horsepower either at least i hope not. lighter wheels yes will show some horse but not 30 horse. if you know its a 2.0 liter then you know you got a sleeved block with aftermarket pistons but you didnt mention this i would have. so lets say again i made the wrong assumption and it is truly a 2.0 liter but you didnt sleeve it you stroked which you didnt mention that you used and aftermarket stroker crank. but you did mention cf hood. so to get even close to 2.0 liter on stock 81mm bore you would need to use an 95mm stroker crank. the most you can use with a b18 270mm deck height block. that would get you to 1.96liter which is close to 2.0liter. but if someone asked me i wouldnt mention these awesome engine mods i did. id just say i advanced the timing bought some rotas and a vis hood. i gained 40horse.
TurboTegGSR
Profile for TurboTegGSR
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2004 21:18
man uhh i came off kinda like a dick there. sorry im sure you got everything i said you should its just where i live there so many ls/vtec and crvtecs and not one has made it more than 6 months. well mine has but the other 7 have not. and people give this setup such a bad rap. its not the setups fault its the users fault whether it be tuning or engine assembly or the wrong parts these motors get a bad wrap. using stock parts an ls/vtec isnt as reliable or "good" as a gsr. its simple geometry and math. at least on paper its not as good or reliable. but if done right these motors arent as bad as people think. man im just bored at work sorry for the ranting.
0z
Profile for 0z
Re: Ls/Vtec tune-up problem? Need some direction!?!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2004 01:50
Yeah, so after reading TurboTegGSR's response, all I can say is: "Note to self. . . I know two things. . .Jack, and Squat. I should ask a LOT more questions."

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy