[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
More.......................
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Singapore Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> 1000000 km Civic.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> 1000000 km Civic. Congrats to Honda and this Dutchman.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Honda Spirior Si
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: ONE HOUR STARTING NOW READ IF YOU WANT INPUT!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2016 Civic (all new 10th-generation)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TODAY IS MY LAST DAY IN MY 40'S.........
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Camry First Drives are up
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Rendering: Fit Type-R
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Motorweek's 0-60 and 1/4 mile
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: TLX Steel wheels ?
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad Paint on my 14' Accord
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: Why no 3 Stage VTEC?
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Strictly Technical > > Re: OVERSIZED pistons & cylinders

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
bobski
Profile for bobski
OVERSIZED pistons & cylinders    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2002 01:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
How much HP does oversizing the pistons & cylinders give you. I'm having it done to my 1.5L 1990 civic dx engine. I just got a new engine so.....no need to bore it. I'm getting the same engine again because i was told that oversizing the pistons & cylinders in the 1.5L would make more HP then the 1.6L Si engine WITHOUT oversizing.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
doctorcliff
Profile for doctorcliff
Re: OVERSIZED pistons & cylinders    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2002 23:17
bobski wrote:
How much HP does oversizing the pistons & cylinders give you. I'm having it done to my 1.5L 1990 civic dx engine. I just got a new engine so.....no need to bore it. I'm getting the same engine again because i was told that oversizing the pistons & cylinders in the 1.5L would make more HP then the 1.6L Si engine WITHOUT oversizing.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

my advice is 'generic' and not specific to your motor.
if you're going to oversize, you definitely need to bore, so your post doesn't make great sense.
increasing the bore increases the displacement, so all other things being equal, and for the small amount of displacement increase possible, expect a power increase roughly equal to the displacement increase-
5% more displacement = 5% increase in power.
it's usually not a cost-effective power mod, but some folks just do it to get that last little bit.
if you're talking about a big step up, like increasing displacement 10% or more, this usually involves re-sleeving the bores (much more money). people usually do this when they're 'stuck' with a particular motor for whatever reason. a good example is an old VW. you can't easily swap a different motor in (914s, maybe), so you have to make the most of what you have.
by the time you're contemplating a procedure like this, it may be more practical to ponder swapping a bigger/better motor in. check this link for more info-
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/4gtech/index.html
hope this helps.
bobski
Profile for bobski
Re: OVERSIZED pistons & cylinders    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2002 00:40

sorry about the whole bore thing, don't know why I said that. Don't know a whole lot about cars, just a little. It's going to cost about $400 extra, and the guys that are doing it said I will Definitely notice a difference in power……so that being said, I am not sure how much oversized they are going or what. The guy has done it to a lot of cars, mostly mustangs but has done some imports as well. Just hope it’s more then 10 HP(the Si engine is about 10 HP more)

Thanks for the info
Crossedflags78
Profile for Crossedflags78
Re: boring made boring    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2002 00:05
generally honda factory will allow you to bore 1 mm over new spec. in other words yor motor has a 75 mm bore. you can bore it over to 76 mm. BUT THATS IT! if you bore any more your cylinder walls are too thin and may warp, crack or break. if the motor has all ready been bore and it is too worn to re-ring then thats when you need to re-sleeve. That in itself is expensive. that's when most people junk the block. you can get a core motor for much cheaper. but cores need to be rebuilt. you can get a rebuilt short block d motor for about the same price as resleeving or a little more. a short block is an engine assembly without the head and cam (in the case of honda.)

of course with "boring over" you will have to get over sized pistons and rings. and all the boring will ad up. but it probably will not add up to much horse power (HP) now your motor which is probably a D15a2 displaces 1493 cubic centimeter and to bore it over 1mm will result in a displacment of 1533 cc.

Volumetric Efficeincy (VE) is the abillity of an engine to breath. the easier an engine can take in air and push air out, the more power it will make. that carborator and intake sytem IS NOT efficient enough to allow the extra displacement
to be very effective. as a matter of fact, the VE of your engine
isn't efficient enough to support the factory displacement.

The Si's D16 displaces 1590 cc. it has the same bore but a longer stroke, higher compresion ratio (CR) and breathes much easier. all that for 10 more horses. you don't have to be a mechanical engineer to understand that simply increasing your cc's will add whopping amounts of power.

if we use the doctor's formula (x% more displacement = x% increase in power) the the extra 40 cc's which is less then 1% of increase will increase power less then 1%.
so take his advice (he's a very smart person) and don't waste your money. focus on a different way of making power
trunks
Profile for trunks
Re: OVERSIZED pistons & cylinders    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2002 01:14
$400 extra is a good chunk of change that could go towards a b16 swap. What car is this for, and how much are you spending already for the new engine/rebuild?

you can get a B16A1 swap for about $1200, but will probably need a mount kit on top of that (about $500)
B16A2/A3 swaps run a little over $2k

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0