[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
General Talk --> Re: Push button start SUCKS
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> The Mustang at 50
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: TLX details
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: MK7 Golf Wagon
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Carscoop: Honda to Detail, But Won't Show New Compact SUV Based on JDM Vezel in New York
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A powerful message
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future Honda Small RWD Sports Car
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: NYIAS Camry / Sonata MMCs
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Updated Camry, New Sonata
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lanewatch glitch with Handsfree link on '14 Civic. Accords too?
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > CR-Z > > Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Inspire97
Profile for Inspire97
HPD CR-Z News on November 5th? Video clip too    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-29-2013 21:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.youtube.com/embed/4UQ_aTSJBpY

Speculation? Turbo? Supercharger?

My wife has a '12 CR-Z 6MT, we'd love to get some extra speed out of it from the factory.
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: HPD CR-Z News on November 5th? Video clip too    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-29-2013 21:30
Inspire97 wrote:

My wife has a '12 CR-Z 6MT, we'd love to get some extra speed out of it from the factory.

I just saw this on Honda's racing page on facebook. K20 Maybe? ahhhh!!! I hope they give the CRZ some balls and not just a lip kit. The video shows brembos??? That must mean they added power...
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: HPD CR-Z News on November 5th? Video clip too    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-29-2013 22:01
RHalabi wrote:
Inspire97 wrote:

I just saw this on Honda's racing page on facebook. K20 Maybe? ahhhh!!! I hope they give the CRZ some balls and not just a lip kit. The video shows brembos??? That must mean they added power...

Well, sorry for being a party pooper... The tagline "genuine accessories" foreshadows minimal add ons. Even Mugen sells upgraded rotor and brake pads, but we see nary a performance upgrade sans exhaust and intake filters.

My conservative take, suspension/brake upgrade kit. It's something.
chinofer
Profile for chinofer
Re: HPD CR-Z News on November 5th? Video clip too    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-29-2013 23:42
Supercharged 198hp @ 6300 - "AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCAL HONDA DEALER"

https://hpd.honda.com/innovations/street-projects/hpd-supercharged-cr-z/

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2013 03:09
198hp, but the Mugen RZ in Japan has 156+20bhp. So ... are these unrelated (which would be a bit crazy), or is the HPD one a development of the Mugen (more boost) ?
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2013 10:55
Mugen is for Japan and England.

HPD is for America.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: HPD CR-Z News on November 5th? Video clip too    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2013 11:15
chinofer wrote:
Supercharged 198hp @ 6300 - "AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCAL HONDA DEALER"

https://hpd.honda.com/innovations/street-projects/hpd-supercharged-cr-z/

You don't see it, but I'm eating my hat... Sure it's still an American only thing, but a performance boost under Honda warranty is as good as any for this car.
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2013 17:31
RolledaNsx wrote:
Mugen is for Japan and England.
HPD is for America.

I understand that, but was wondering if the US and Japan developed the two cars completely independently, or if they are related. I can't bring myself to believe that after nothing much sporting from Honda, two arms of the company (well, close allies of the company at least) independently developed supercharged CRZ's. Surely not !?
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2013 19:10
HPD ran theirs at 24hrs of Thunderhill two years ago and been playing(developing) with it since.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-31-2013 07:19
Do you know if it's the hybrid integration that's an issue, or a more basic engine problem?

It seems to have taken a long time to map the BRZ/86 FI kits in the UK, and I wonder if it's simply more difficult these days.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-31-2013 20:12
Well, the problem for the GT86 cars is that damn compression ratio. Even with DI its just too high for much boost. After having worked on a few now I'm not sure I'd boost one without building the engine first. I mean, you could boost it, but anything over 5-7 psi on pump gas is just rolling the dice. Now, E85 is a different story.

In terms of US development, the integration is pretty easy. Getting CARB approval for California is the tough part. And for HPD getting buy in and access to the tools they needed to develop it as a Honda kit (rather than a collection of parts from the aftermarket) takes time.

SC
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-31-2013 23:42
Price? $27,550?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-01-2013 06:04
notyper wrote:
Well, the problem for the GT86 cars is that damn compression ratio. Even with DI its just too high for much boost. After having worked on a few now I'm not sure I'd boost one without building the engine first. I mean, you could boost it, but anything over 5-7 psi on pump gas is just rolling the dice. Now, E85 is a different story.

In terms of US development, the integration is pretty easy. Getting CARB approval for California is the tough part. And for HPD getting buy in and access to the tools they needed to develop it as a Honda kit (rather than a collection of parts from the aftermarket) takes time.

SC

See - that's just such useful information; I'd not considered the CR but it could explain the explodey early 86 turbos. Like the S2000, it did have oil temperature & surge issues too. But everyone has struggled it would seem.

I'd also forgotten about the quirks of the Divided States of America. We tend to have something similar in that Germany requires a far more stringent level of homologation (TüV) than other places. So it's bureaucratic form-filling as much as 3D mapping that is terminally tedious.

Thanks, Shaun.
BG
Profile for BG
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-01-2013 06:38
Nick.... http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/subaru-brz-litchfield-first-drive-2013-10-16
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-01-2013 12:22
Thanks, BG.

Sort of sums it all up, really; the Litchfield took a long time to come on sale, but should be a decent product.

We'll see how the engines hold up.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: HPD CR-Z vs Mugen RZ    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2013 17:27
Kind of buried on the main page:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1168076

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy