[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
More.......................
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
TLX --> Re: Picked up my GLM V6 Tech!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Honda F1 Leadership?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Honda F1 Leadership?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: latest CTR details
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2015 Euro CR-V Good News!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: How many are on social media ?
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: INDYCAR--Pagenaud defects! What is HPD's future?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Update on the HR-V
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: Any chance for manual ilx with tlx direct injected 2.4?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Tech vs Accord CVT Touring
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 CR-V Reviews
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Touch Screen Climate Control
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: oil change question

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
greg24
Profile for greg24
oil change question    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2013 20:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So I will be doing my first oil change (EVER) on my 2006 Accord 2.4 LX. Ive already bought the oil (Castrol Edge with Syntec), oil filter (Fram Ultra) bought the wrench, oil filter wrench, and ramps. Oil plug gaskets are on the way, just ordered them today. ANYWAY. Ive always had the oil changed every 3000 miles 3 months with synthetic, i do exclusively short trip driving with lots of cold starts (not up to operating temp). But at the advice of Blackstone labs ill be running the oil to 5000 miles and see where the wear metals are at. Im worried about dry starts after changing the filter, i cant pre fill it because its mounted sideways. And i dont want to have the wear of a dry start every 3000 miles. SO, should i do an oil change every 3000 miles with a filter change every 6000 (every other oil change) or run the oil and filter change out to 5000 miles and change them both? or is it safe to change both at 3000 miles and have the car suffer dry starts that much more often? please help!
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: oil change question    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2013 21:36
greg24 wrote:
So I will be doing my first oil change (EVER) on my 2006 Accord 2.4 LX. Ive already bought the oil (Castrol Edge with Syntec), oil filter (Fram Ultra) bought the wrench, oil filter wrench, and ramps. Oil plug gaskets are on the way, just ordered them today. ANYWAY. Ive always had the oil changed every 3000 miles 3 months with synthetic, i do exclusively short trip driving with lots of cold starts (not up to operating temp). But at the advice of Blackstone labs ill be running the oil to 5000 miles and see where the wear metals are at. Im worried about dry starts after changing the filter, i cant pre fill it because its mounted sideways. And i dont want to have the wear of a dry start every 3000 miles. SO, should i do an oil change every 3000 miles with a filter change every 6000 (every other oil change) or run the oil and filter change out to 5000 miles and change them both? or is it safe to change both at 3000 miles and have the car suffer dry starts that much more often? please help!
Based on this post and your other, I have to say you're being too picky / too worried. If your oil analysis (something most people wouldn't even think to do) company is telling you to extend your oil change frequency, what more evidence do you need?

I had an 86 Accord that was run low on oil, had oil changes as infrequently as 10k miles, got the cheapest oil, the cheapest filter, changed at Walmart or wherever... and that thing was still running strong at 257k miles. The whole rear of the car was rotted away, the auto transmission clunked badly, the exhaust was literally falling off as I drove it to the junkyard. But the engine was solid as ever. After 25 years of crappy oil changes and dry starts.

Now I'm driving a Civic with 228k on it. It was owned by a girl, driven in the city, oil run low (not even on the dipstick), in multiple crashes. Yet the engine is as strong as ever, no leaks, with excellent fuel economy.

So personally, I think you're way over-doing it. If pushing your boundaries to the max means changing the synthetic oil and filter every 5k, then I say do 5k. Forget the dry starts issue.
greg24
Profile for greg24
Re: oil change question    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2013 22:22
Potenza wrote:
greg24 wrote:
Based on this post and your other, I have to say you're being too picky / too worried. If your oil analysis (something most people wouldn't even think to do) company is telling you to extend your oil change frequency, what more evidence do you need?

I had an 86 Accord that was run low on oil, had oil changes as infrequently as 10k miles, got the cheapest oil, the cheapest filter, changed at Walmart or wherever... and that thing was still running strong at 257k miles. The whole rear of the car was rotted away, the auto transmission clunked badly, the exhaust was literally falling off as I drove it to the junkyard. But the engine was solid as ever. After 25 years of crappy oil changes and dry starts.

Now I'm driving a Civic with 228k on it. It was owned by a girl, driven in the city, oil run low (not even on the dipstick), in multiple crashes. Yet the engine is as strong as ever, no leaks, with excellent fuel economy.

So personally, I think you're way over-doing it. If pushing your boundaries to the max means changing the synthetic oil and filter every 5k, then I say do 5k. Forget the dry starts issue.

if i did highway driving where my oil got up to temp then i would change my oil at 7500+ with NO problem at all. but i drive 3 miles 4 times a day and 2 miles 4 times a day on the weekends. Thats the worst driving an engine can get. thats why i like changing it soon to flush out the water and fuel. but im going for 5000 this time then seeing what the oil analysis says.
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: oil change question    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2013 23:23
greg24 wrote:
Potenza wrote:
greg24 wrote:

if i did highway driving where my oil got up to temp then i would change my oil at 7500+ with NO problem at all. but i drive 3 miles 4 times a day and 2 miles 4 times a day on the weekends. Thats the worst driving an engine can get. thats why i like changing it soon to flush out the water and fuel. but im going for 5000 this time then seeing what the oil analysis says.

The second or two with no oil pressure is nothing since everything is still coated with oil and its not under load so. Coincidently I have an '89 Accord which, just like Potenza was run low on dino oil (oil light coming on around corners low), at least a couple times, and it was still running fine at 433,000kms.

That said you can still put a fair amount of oil in the filter without it spilling out. Pour it in and let it soak into the filter media a little at a time. Once it just sits there a quarter full pick it up and tip it and rotate it so the upper part of the media absorbs it too. That's about the best you can do without it pouring out as you thread it on.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: oil change question    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2013 07:00
The important factor is how quickly the oil pressure light turns off when you start the car the first time after an oil change. I've never filled a new filter with oil and I don't remember any car having an oil pressure light stay on longer than normal after a service. Don't worry about it.

My one piece of advice is to thoroughly inspect the new oil filter. I've found one filter I purchased was missing the gasket when I opened the box and I've found two missing part or all of the inner sleeve due to poor quality control. Which was why I stopped buying the orange brand. I check the filters in the store before I buy them. I've liked the more expensive of the Purolator filters (yellow-tan color with rough surface). I now use Mobil 1 filters.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0