[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
More.......................
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
More.......................
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
More.......................
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
More.......................
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
More.......................
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
More.......................
Accord --> Re: Christmas time already?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota plots ‘society-changing’ fuel-cell car for the masses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hows the public responding to TLX in the US?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Slow or slowest or normal?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2016 Acura Integra
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda XR-V for China
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Driving Honda - The Book
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: New Michelin model anytime soon?
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: 2013 Civic oil change?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
LakersKobe
Profile for LakersKobe
2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 10:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What is the oil change interval for the 2013 Civic? 5000 or 10,000 miles?

I see that it uses 0W-20, which I believe is synthetic oil?

Can't find any info in the owner's manual.
chconline
Profile for chconline
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 11:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Change it when the maintenance minder tells you to.

0W-20 only comes in synthetic. However, if you can get a high grade 5W-20 full synthetic (5W-20 synthetic is pretty easy to buy at most retailers, whereas most places barely carry any 0W-20 other than the dealership and online) and you don't live in places that are cold frequently, then just use 5W-20 synthetic.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 11:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
chconline wrote:
Change it when the maintenance minder tells you to.

0W-20 only comes in synthetic. However, if you can get a high grade 5W-20 full synthetic (5W-20 synthetic is pretty easy to buy at most retailers, whereas most places barely carry any 0W-20 other than the dealership and online) and you don't live in places that are cold frequently, then just use 5W-20 synthetic.



I found mobil1 "advanced fuel economy" full synthetic 0w-20 for $23.97 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart. I thought it was mis-priced because the single quarts are $8.99 at Autozone, but apparently Walmart has been selling the 0w-20 5qt jug for that price for around a year.
chavv
Profile for chavv
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 11:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Is 0w20 oil good for using in warm weather, ie 35-40 Celsius?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 16:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
chavv wrote:
Is 0w20 oil good for using in warm weather, ie 35-40 Celsius?


I hope so. We run 0w-20 in our TSX and it gets close to that range here in the summer (well, up to around 35C).
Dream'R
Profile for Dream'R
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 16:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As already mentioned, do not be in too much of a hurry to change out the factory fill oil. It has additives to help break-in the motor. You can go with synthetic after that. Its major advantage is the ability to protect over a very wide temperature range.

The 0W-20 weight is specified to give slightly better fuel economy. It also is better for cold weather conditions. There would be no harm in using 5W-20, or if you have very warm conditions, 5W-30. High performance motors like in the Civic Si specify a heavier weight oil.

In my own case, I do not drive far enough in a year to reach the oil change reminder so I follow the advice in my '08 Civic's owner's manual which recommends annual changes, regardless of mileage.

Hope you are enjoying your new car. I'm impressed by how many significant improvements have been made including the latest ACE II crash test modifications.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 17:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
chconline wrote:
Change it when the maintenance minder tells you to.

0W-20 only comes in synthetic. However, if you can get a high grade 5W-20 full synthetic (5W-20 synthetic is pretty easy to buy at most retailers, whereas most places barely carry any 0W-20 other than the dealership and online) and you don't live in places that are cold frequently, then just use 5W-20 synthetic.



I found mobil1 "advanced fuel economy" full synthetic 0w-20 for $23.97 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart. I thought it was mis-priced because the single quarts are $8.99 at Autozone, but apparently Walmart has been selling the 0w-20 5qt jug for that price for around a year.


I too use Mobil 1 0w-20 along with the Mobil 1 filters. My favorite local parts store offers a Mobil 1 oil + filter oil change special maybe twice each year so I stock up and save just under $20 per oil change. I'm not completely convinced the 0w-20 Mobil 1 is really oil and not water but my Accord likes it well enough. It looks like the third change for my car will occur at about 24k miles which seems crazy for any type of oil other than a full synthetic.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 18:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
LakersKobe wrote:
I see that it uses 0W-20, which I believe is synthetic oil?

Can't find any info in the owner's manual.


It's definitely in the manual.

It words like: change the oil ... in accordance with the maintenance message on the MID or info display.

BTW, isn't the 0W20 used by Honda a semi-synthetic, not full synthetic?
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 22:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DrWhiner wrote:
LakersKobe wrote:
I see that it uses 0W-20, which I believe is synthetic oil?

Can't find any info in the owner's manual.


It's definitely in the manual.

It words like: change the oil ... in accordance with the maintenance message on the MID or info display.

BTW, isn't the 0W20 used by Honda a semi-synthetic, not full synthetic?

Honda offers both a synthetic blend 0W-20 and a full synthetic 0W-20. Pennzoil recently released a 0W-20 in a 5-quart jug, full synthetic. It's the best deal I've seen, about two bucks less than the Mobil1 which was just released. Plus right now they're running a $10 rebate and $5 off your next purchase.

Look in the owner's manual for information on the Maintenance Minder. Once you figure out how to use that, that will show you the oil life percentage. I believe the recommendation is to "call your local Honda dealer for an appointment when the oil life is at 15% remaining," or something similar to that.

Depending on your driving conditions, the mileage could be anywhere from 3.5k (driving on a race track) to about 10k (highway). But it doesn't matter, just follow the Minder.
 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0