[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
More.......................
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: Any chance for manual ilx with tlx direct injected 2.4?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: INDYCAR--Pagenaud defects! What is HPD's future?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Touch Screen Climate Control
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 CR-V Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kurdish Mad Max war vehicles
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Motorweek's 0-60 and 1/4 mile
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: How many are on social media ?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Tech vs Accord CVT Touring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660/1000 good news rumors from Japan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: latest CTR details
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: CONTACT NOW!!! DIRECT URGENT HELP TO GET YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Heading to a CR-V Preview tomorrow. What do you want to see?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Audi - Vorpsrung durch Copycat
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: 2013 Civic oil change?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
LakersKobe
Profile for LakersKobe
2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 10:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What is the oil change interval for the 2013 Civic? 5000 or 10,000 miles?

I see that it uses 0W-20, which I believe is synthetic oil?

Can't find any info in the owner's manual.
chconline
Profile for chconline
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 11:02
Change it when the maintenance minder tells you to.

0W-20 only comes in synthetic. However, if you can get a high grade 5W-20 full synthetic (5W-20 synthetic is pretty easy to buy at most retailers, whereas most places barely carry any 0W-20 other than the dealership and online) and you don't live in places that are cold frequently, then just use 5W-20 synthetic.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 11:07
chconline wrote:

0W-20 only comes in synthetic. However, if you can get a high grade 5W-20 full synthetic (5W-20 synthetic is pretty easy to buy at most retailers, whereas most places barely carry any 0W-20 other than the dealership and online) and you don't live in places that are cold frequently, then just use 5W-20 synthetic.

I found mobil1 "advanced fuel economy" full synthetic 0w-20 for $23.97 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart. I thought it was mis-priced because the single quarts are $8.99 at Autozone, but apparently Walmart has been selling the 0w-20 5qt jug for that price for around a year.
chavv
Profile for chavv
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 11:35
Is 0w20 oil good for using in warm weather, ie 35-40 Celsius?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 16:18
chavv wrote:
Is 0w20 oil good for using in warm weather, ie 35-40 Celsius?

I hope so. We run 0w-20 in our TSX and it gets close to that range here in the summer (well, up to around 35C).
Dream'R
Profile for Dream'R
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 16:39
As already mentioned, do not be in too much of a hurry to change out the factory fill oil. It has additives to help break-in the motor. You can go with synthetic after that. Its major advantage is the ability to protect over a very wide temperature range.

The 0W-20 weight is specified to give slightly better fuel economy. It also is better for cold weather conditions. There would be no harm in using 5W-20, or if you have very warm conditions, 5W-30. High performance motors like in the Civic Si specify a heavier weight oil.

In my own case, I do not drive far enough in a year to reach the oil change reminder so I follow the advice in my '08 Civic's owner's manual which recommends annual changes, regardless of mileage.

Hope you are enjoying your new car. I'm impressed by how many significant improvements have been made including the latest ACE II crash test modifications.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 17:13
JeffX wrote:
chconline wrote:

I found mobil1 "advanced fuel economy" full synthetic 0w-20 for $23.97 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart. I thought it was mis-priced because the single quarts are $8.99 at Autozone, but apparently Walmart has been selling the 0w-20 5qt jug for that price for around a year.

I too use Mobil 1 0w-20 along with the Mobil 1 filters. My favorite local parts store offers a Mobil 1 oil + filter oil change special maybe twice each year so I stock up and save just under $20 per oil change. I'm not completely convinced the 0w-20 Mobil 1 is really oil and not water but my Accord likes it well enough. It looks like the third change for my car will occur at about 24k miles which seems crazy for any type of oil other than a full synthetic.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 18:14
LakersKobe wrote:

It's definitely in the manual.

It words like: change the oil ... in accordance with the maintenance message on the MID or info display.

BTW, isn't the 0W20 used by Honda a semi-synthetic, not full synthetic?
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: 2013 Civic oil change?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2013 22:20
DrWhiner wrote:
LakersKobe wrote:

It's definitely in the manual.

It words like: change the oil ... in accordance with the maintenance message on the MID or info display.

BTW, isn't the 0W20 used by Honda a semi-synthetic, not full synthetic?

Honda offers both a synthetic blend 0W-20 and a full synthetic 0W-20. Pennzoil recently released a 0W-20 in a 5-quart jug, full synthetic. It's the best deal I've seen, about two bucks less than the Mobil1 which was just released. Plus right now they're running a $10 rebate and $5 off your next purchase.

Look in the owner's manual for information on the Maintenance Minder. Once you figure out how to use that, that will show you the oil life percentage. I believe the recommendation is to "call your local Honda dealer for an appointment when the oil life is at 15% remaining," or something similar to that.

Depending on your driving conditions, the mileage could be anywhere from 3.5k (driving on a race track) to about 10k (highway). But it doesn't matter, just follow the Minder.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0