[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Inverview with Acura's Design Chief
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Where is the TL's replacement?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: August sales forecast
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Any new info on CTR?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord facelift in Russia
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> 2016 Acura Integra
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: bland, dull and looks already old
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord LX Update
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The NSX-GT finally found it's Mojo!!!!
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
Nino
Profile for Nino
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 12:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
3 series is their best car, and most people drive them because of the status perception (one wonders what status is there everyone is leasing one, but hey let's not use the logic here). This is by far the most valid reason to drive one as well (even though perception is marketing as car is too common to be status simbol), everything else is half argument.

3s, used to be great, this is when BMW used to be very much German version of Honda. (never as reliable, but ton of fun).

3 series today, while still their best car by far, is a hit and a miss.
Ultimate driving machine is marketing bullshit, BMWs in general are way too heavy and lack real sustainable performance.
What they have is this GT approach to cars, solid, heavy, powerful, point straight and gun it and this people like, because they connect these attributes with performance.

One thing that BMW has above all else, that Honda can only dream about is MARKETING. These guys kick ass.

BMW of e30 M30 days is long gone, but so is Honda of Integra Type R days. Regulation, technology, gadgets, and cars really are mobile office these days, not because of car companies, but people want it...

Next step will be Google autonomus BMW M3 Ultimate driver machine, but without the driver part, and people will still buy BMW because it WOULD BE THE ultimate drivers machine if there was a driver, or maybe not???

ru4real
Profile for ru4real
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 12:30
The products have to be very good to begin with, but the rest is whether people are willing to buy into the hype that the products are that much better than the rest. For most of my friends, the fact that the 3 has the little propeller on the hood was enough for them to buy without even really test driving the 3 themselves, much less doing any kind of comparative shopping. There is little logic in that, only desire.

By the same token, having handled a Hermes bag myself, I can attest without a doubt it is a very very well made product with high quality materials and impeccable craftsmanship, and even knowing the fact that each bag is hand made in its entirety by one craftsman, the logic disappears for me if I try to justify its price tag which is easily 20 times more than a comparable Coach bag.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 13:34
The 3 is still the benchmark entry level sport sedan even though its tactile performance has taken a fall. You have to consider the package as a whole when reviewing and when you do the 3 Series is still the most refined car in its segment. However, I think BMW should pay attention as cars like the Cadillac ATS drive better yet just don't offer BMW levels of refinement. From what I've heard though, Cadillac is already working to refine the ATS.

~Patrick
MarkR
Profile for MarkR
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 13:54
What do you think of the new 4-series coupe? Will it stand at chance against the best from Acura? :)

No seriously, seems like rich is getting richer and vice versa, those who have the brand at the moment can produce more and more sleek,sporty,comfy all kinds of cars and those without the brand recognition needs to find a safe harbour in economy.
Edward
Profile for Edward
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 14:12
If Acura does not come up with a successor of TSX Wagon, I might have to buy a 3 Series Touring. Forget about Allroad.
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 15:36
ru4real wrote:
The products have to be very good to begin with, but the rest is whether people are willing to buy into the hype that the products are that much better than the rest. For most of my friends, the fact that the 3 has the little propeller on the hood was enough for them to buy without even really test driving the 3 themselves, much less doing any kind of comparative shopping. There is little logic in that, only desire.

By the same token, having handled a Hermes bag myself, I can attest without a doubt it is a very very well made product with high quality materials and impeccable craftsmanship, and even knowing the fact that each bag is hand made in its entirety by one craftsman, the logic disappears for me if I try to justify its price tag which is easily 20 times more than a comparable Coach bag.

Again, you don't think people buy a car simply because of the H or the bean with the sombrero? Luxury brands are not the only ones that provoke emotional buying. Bimmer buyers might have a different goal in mind than the traditional Honda buyer but a lot of Honda/Acura buyers are still brand snobs.

I fully believe that at least 7/10 Honda buyers think they are smarter than Bimmer buyers simply because in their minds cars are point A to point B appliances. But those same Honda buyers might like a fancy restaurant, an Apple device, a particular expensive hotel, etc. that might cost more than the Bimmer driver would spend on the same item.

I'll admit many times I am a brand snob too. I don't really think that says anything about me other than I am not interested in a comparison on that item/service. Speaking for myself it is easy to think that I am so much smarter than someone else because of the way they spend their money but in the end it is a matter of personal taste. As long as someone is spending within their means then a little brand snobbery is OK in my book.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 16:13
MarkR wrote:
What do you think of the new 4-series coupe? Will it stand at chance against the best from Acura? :)

No seriously, seems like rich is getting richer and vice versa, those who have the brand at the moment can produce more and more sleek,sporty,comfy all kinds of cars and those without the brand recognition needs to find a safe harbour in economy.

the 4 series is basically just a 3 series coupe since there will be no 3 series coupe in this generation.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 21:17
eneka wrote:
MarkR wrote:

the 4 series is basically just a 3 series coupe since there will be no 3 series coupe in this generation.

Personally, I'm waiting for the 4-series sedan ;)
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 21:25
CarPhreakD wrote:
eneka wrote:
MarkR wrote:

Well, I'm waiting for an inheritance so I can buy my very own BMW!
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 22:26
I'd point out that many of us bought our first Hondas and Acuras based on brand reputation and image because the dealers had no cars to look at and test drive. The first time I saw the actual color of my '90 Integra was when I took delivery of the car a few days after it was shipped in from out of state. My dealer had one Integra and two Legends in stock at the time.

Secondly, I'd bet a majority of Honda and Acura owners have a good deal of respect for BMW's engineering skills. I suspect they just have a greater respect for their cash. I know I do. My friends who own BMW and Mercedes automobiles having free scheduled maintenance for the first four years have spent more than their fair share of money on tires and brakes. Our local BMW and M-B dealers won't replace brake pads without also replacing the rotors.

Finally, I would like to drive a BMW 3-series sedan because it's simply a car that is in the sweet spot for what I'd like to drive. First class engineering combined with a long standing heritage for spirited driving and real world performance. Some BMW fans remember that the F1 team won the championship in the '80s running used 320i engine blocks bought back from customers after their cars had several thousand miles on them. The 2002 2-door sedans of the early '70s were simply performance GTs with a slightly different shape of body. You could drive a 911 or save a bunch of money by driving a Z-car, or you could have a similar experience in a small sedan which would also carry your wife and two kids plus your luggage.

People tend to treat BMW like they treat Honda on Internet discussion sites. If one specification value falls below expectations or some hint of compromise is detected BMW is judged as being lost in the wilderness. Everyone has their opinion. The fact that BMW would step in and buy the remains of Rover, strip away the off road tech for their X5 program, sell the few bits and pieces they didn't want, and walk away with basically a road-ready Mini Cooper product line shows a sharp focus on the core business. The 1st gen of the reborn Mini Cooper was a Rover-MG engineered product which was all but ready to be launched in the US so it was a prime target for a German company backed by a very wealthy family. That BMW thereby reinvented the small FWD hatchback market in the US was certainly unexpected. And the fact that almost no one outside of the British sports car community realizes BMW kept ownership of most of the other important British brands such as Triumph only points to BMW having some cool options available down the road. The next really cool 2.4L high RPM roadster for the regular guy might just be a TR9.

And, besides, Maddie Hayes drove a 635CSi. That's a good enough reason right there to check out a 3-series.
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 22:52
CarPhreakD wrote:
eneka wrote:
MarkR wrote:

you will be waiting a while.
ru4real
Profile for ru4real
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2012 22:57
Absolutely nothing wrong with emotional spending when it is done within one's means, it also keeps the economy going
MarkR
Profile for MarkR
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 01:00
eneka wrote:
MarkR wrote:

Almost, but not quite. The 4-series is wider,lower and with more bulging wheel arches, wider track... so for us who enjoy cars will probably see that is has a different appearance, for most it will be just the BMW brand.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 07:05
RHalabi wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
eneka wrote:
MarkR wrote:

you will be waiting a while.

Not really, probably in a year or two maybe. It will be called the 4-series Gran Coupe, just like what they did with the 6-series.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 12:20
The 4 series is pure hotness! The design elements of the car look modern yet they are tastefully implemented. It makes the Acura RLX look 10 years old!

~Patrick
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 12:25
^ agreed. The attention to detail in the interior is top notch as well.
MarkR
Profile for MarkR
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 14:03
CivicB18 wrote:
The 4 series is pure hotness! The design elements of the car look modern yet they are tastefully implemented. It makes the Acura RLX look 10 years old!

~Patrick

Yups, it looks super tight :)

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2014-bmw-4-series-coupe-spy-photos-news

RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 17:43
i think the 3 series should have remained a 2 door and the 4 series a 4 door. It makes more sense. 4 door 4 series.

Anyways bMw stated the even numbers are coupes and odd's are sedans in their new number system.

so does that mean the X6 will be renamed X7 or just cancelled next gen?
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 20:46
RHalabi wrote:
i think the 3 series should have remained a 2 door and the 4 series a 4 door. It makes more sense. 4 door 4 series.

Anyways bMw stated the even numbers are coupes and odd's are sedans in their new number system.

That's not how it worked. The 6-series was always a 5 series coupe. This is just following that convention. Next would be the 2 series.

The 4-series gets a lot of things right. The side profile is dead on perfect. The "low and wide" stance is great. The 20" wheels fill those wells perfectly (although I have to wonder... ride quality?).

My only gripe is that the front and rear lower valances are horrendous (and what's with the tack on side vent?). Those things remind me of the Kia Optima, I don't know what BMW was thinking.
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 21:00
CarPhreakD wrote:
RHalabi wrote:

That's not how it worked. The 6-series was always a 5 series coupe. This is just following that convention. Next would be the 2 series.

The 4-series gets a lot of things right. The side profile is dead on perfect. The "low and wide" stance is great. The 20" wheels fill those wells perfectly (although I have to wonder... ride quality?).

My only gripe is that the front and rear lower valances are horrendous (and what's with the tack on side vent?). Those things remind me of the Kia Optima, I don't know what BMW was thinking.

Well been reading at autoblgg and other major car sites basically "BMW's new nomenclature system that will see coupes bearing an even number."

The 6 series could have been just a coincidence. Like the A5 is to A4. Maybe in the next 10 years Audi will make all coupes odd and sedans even. The complete opposite of bmw's new system.

I like the old system where the series was a price point and represented the class you are in better then doors on the side.
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2012 21:13
oh and if you go back 3 generations you will see the last 20 years all the coupes bmw started with had a straight open gap under the grill.

E92 striaght line gap

E46 straight large gap all the way across same as e92 basically

E36 straight again

During the MMC bmw makes the coupes have the traditional 3 cut design on all these gens. The new 4 series will probably follow the same generalized pattern.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 00:12
The issue is that you were reading autoblog as if it were fact.
picard
Profile for picard
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 16:26
BMW is sooo expensive that it can only be afford by the rich or super rich. it is a symbol of indulgence, affluence.
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 17:16
picard wrote:
BMW is sooo expensive that it can only be afford by the rich or super rich. it is a symbol of indulgence, affluence.

"Itís a 4-series because, as BMW says, the numeral change is ďa sign of greater exclusivity.Ē -Car and Driver magazine

I wonder now if the price will increase for the 428i. 41,000 in canada...now that its a 4 with 2 inches longer wheel base and 2 inches wider...46,000?
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 20:38
Grace141 wrote:
Finally, I would like to drive a BMW 3-series sedan because it's simply a car that is in the sweet spot for what I'd like to drive. First class engineering combined with a long standing heritage for spirited driving and real world performance. Some BMW fans remember that the F1 team won the championship in the '80s running used 320i engine blocks bought back from customers after their cars had several thousand miles on them. The 2002 2-door sedans of the early '70s were simply performance GTs with a slightly different shape of body. You could drive a 911 or save a bunch of money by driving a Z-car, or you could have a similar experience in a small sedan which would also carry your wife and two kids plus your luggage.

Bah, humbug.... sure the 2002tii could keep up and beat the Alfetta.. but...

You could buy a DATSUN 510, put a 2 liter block, european head, twin intakes, headers, Webbers, competition springs, Pirellis, big brakes, big muffler, a racing seat, a nice loud 8 Track stereo and you could drive that car to Laguna Seca and whip the snot off those 2002tii ALL DAY LONG.

The stock transmission and rear end would last and last and last.

I loved my 510. It's the one car I wish I had kept.

xman
Profile for xman
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 21:08
I bought my 2007 e90 335i because it was the fastest, best handling sedan with a manual transmission you could buy at the time under $40K. It's had a few issues in the first 2 years of ownership all fixed. BMW is a company that likes to be at the forefront of new technology so it's to be expected. Twin turbos, electric water cooler, direct injection were unheard of at the time. Now it's still faster than most anything in it's class and still gets great mileage. If I had to buy a new car I would get an S4, but I love the BMW to death and see no reason to replace for a very long time. It drives like new. That's my story.
ar_hondas
Profile for ar_hondas
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 22:43
I have a 2007 Civic SI.

Why do I drive a BMW? Because of the 2007 Civic Si. The SI had the best brakes in any car I had ever owned. And it handles great.

My wife had a 2004 civic. What a crappy little car. Loud, rattled, yuck. That was the crack for us in our honda relationship. So when we went to upgrade her car we wanted something that handled as good as the Si, had great brakes, was quiet, and a step up to leather etc. The TSX just didn't do it. TL = too large. Accord? Nope

So a used 2006 BMW 330i from Carmax came into our house in 2009. It was less expensive being used than the new honda accords V6 and TSX/TL. Plus I got an extended warranty for 5 years from 2009. Buying used cars from Carmax is great. Let those new BMW lease people take a huge hit on the depreciation and I'll pick one up for 1/2 price 3 years later and have a great warranty.

I bought my Porsche Cayman S the same way. Warranty to 2017 baby!

What will I get when I replace the Civic Si? Hmmmmmm. Probably a FR-S, if I buy new. Who knows if I find something at carmax used. Come on Honda! Build a RWD that isn't a convertible.

Oh, and the BMW got 32 MPG on a 1200 mile trip last year. Same or better than my Si. Interesting.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2012 17:27
TonyE wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

You could buy a DATSUN 510, put a 2 liter block, european head, twin intakes, headers, Webbers, competition springs, Pirellis, big brakes, big muffler, a racing seat, a nice loud 8 Track stereo and you could drive that car to Laguna Seca and whip the snot off those 2002tii ALL DAY LONG.

Actually, Datsun built a pretty poor reputation for their long tail section 5-speeds with the truck transmission destroying its secondary shaft lead bearing due to oil starvation. You were lucky to get 130k miles from it before it would explode and leave you locked in 4th gear. Going up a hill under power in 5th gear would give you a noise sounding like ice in a blender so you knew it was time to pull the transmission. I still use one of those heat-discolored bearings on my desk for a drink coaster. And three of my four Datsuns had the habit of throwing rear diff oil out through the breather vents. At least they used regular gear oil and not Area 51 Fluid like Hondas.

I wouldn't mind being able to buy a new Datsun truck like my first two but I'd have to go to Central America or some such to find one. The clutch and shift action were brilliant. They drove nice with great handling for pickups which could easily carry 1000 lbs. The real train wreck for Datsuns in general were the steering boxes and brake master cylinders. Within 20k or 30k miles you noticed that sublime sporty steering feel faded into Radio Flyer wagon numbness in corners with an oddly changing nature. You couldn't just tighten the steering sector shaft preload adjustment because then you would have a binding sensation to go with the poor feel. And each of the four Datsuns I owned had one channel of the master cylinders fail. Predictably so. I got the master cylinder replacement down to 30 minutes. In the 345k miles I put on my four Datsuns I never replaced the brake pads or shoes. Mostly because I did my best not to use the brakes because I often didn't know what I'd get from them. Anyway, Datsun died for me the day the French stepped in. That and their dumb ideas for tensioning timing chains. No more Nissans!

Now the Alfetta, yeah, at least you're running an Alfa. I sold a Milano Gold 2.5 several years ago and regret it to a degree. The heartache of owning the car simply outweighed the heartache of selling it. But still, it was an Alfa and the owner's manual illustrations included an Italian woman resembling Gina Lollobridgida. Thank goodness for the Italians.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: why do so many people drive BMW 3 cars    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 15:33
Grace141 wrote:
TonyE wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

Actually, Datsun built a pretty poor reputation for their long tail section 5-speeds with the truck transmission destroying its secondary shaft lead bearing due to oil starvation. You were lucky to get 130k miles from it before it would explode and leave you locked in 4th gear. Going up a hill under power in 5th gear would give you a noise sounding like ice in a blender so you knew it was time to pull the transmission. I still use one of those heat-discolored bearings on my desk for a drink coaster. And three of my four Datsuns had the habit of throwing rear diff oil out through the breather vents. At least they used regular gear oil and not Area 51 Fluid like Hondas.

I wouldn't mind being able to buy a new Datsun truck like my first two but I'd have to go to Central America or some such to find one. The clutch and shift action were brilliant. They drove nice with great handling for pickups which could easily carry 1000 lbs. The real train wreck for Datsuns in general were the steering boxes and brake master cylinders. Within 20k or 30k miles you noticed that sublime sporty steering feel faded into Radio Flyer wagon numbness in corners with an oddly changing nature. You couldn't just tighten the steering sector shaft preload adjustment because then you would have a binding sensation to go with the poor feel. And each of the four Datsuns I owned had one channel of the master cylinders fail. Predictably so. I got the master cylinder replacement down to 30 minutes. In the 345k miles I put on my four Datsuns I never replaced the brake pads or shoes. Mostly because I did my best not to use the brakes because I often didn't know what I'd get from them. Anyway, Datsun died for me the day the French stepped in. That and their dumb ideas for tensioning timing chains. No more Nissans!

Now the Alfetta, yeah, at least you're running an Alfa. I sold a Milano Gold 2.5 several years ago and regret it to a degree. The heartache of owning the car simply outweighed the heartache of selling it. But still, it was an Alfa and the owner's manual illustrations included an Italian woman resembling Gina Lollobridgida. Thank goodness for the Italians.

I've owned both a 76 Alfetta and a 70 510. In fact, I owned them concurrently.

The 510 had a 4 speed transmission, not the later 5 speeds you mention. Mine had like 240K miles on it. The steering was a bit loose, but with a little work it could be tightened. I never got around to changing the box but with 240K miles is wasn't so bad.

The issue with the '70 510 was the radiator which was insufficient in Southern California. I installed a 3 core radiator which fit just fine and took care of the issues.. most of the time.

OTOH, the Alfa was a maintenance nightmare... mostly because of the US EPA Spica Innezzione which was a piece of mal-engineered shit. The transaxle shaft too was very prone to harmonic vibrations. I was glad the day I dumped it and got me an 84 Civic S.

I've never looked back on the Alfa... but I do have warm memories for the 510.

And, on the twisties up in the Santa Monica Mountains, no Bimmer could touch me in my 510....

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0