[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Most recent pictures of my CNG Civic
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Hope everything works out. Very nervous.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Auto Show Season just started.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...Honda needs to put up
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Ron Dennis remarks
Join Discussion......
NSX --> NSX Replica
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Will the 2016 Civic be bigger?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Honda Fit up for Green Car of the Year
Join Discussion......
Accord --> FS: 2013 Accord Coupe V6 6spd Manual *low miles)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 21:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-series/2014/2014-bmw-3-series-gran-turismo-spy-photos.html

"...this not-quite-a-wagon/not-quite-a-hatchback compromise leaves, visually, something to be desired."

Insideline put it kindly. The folks in the comments section, on the other hand, are not afraid to tell the brutal truth.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 22:01
We explored this 2 years ago next week. Weird.

Gary757
Profile for Gary757
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 23:31
atomiclightbulb wrote:
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-series/2014/2014-bmw-3-series-gran-turismo-spy-photos.html

"...this not-quite-a-wagon/not-quite-a-hatchback compromise leaves, visually, something to be desired."

Insideline put it kindly. The folks in the comments section, on the other hand, are not afraid to tell the brutal truth.

My favorite comment on that page:

"'BMW is following up on the success of the larger 5 Series GT.'
I didn't realize that IL merged with The Onion."
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2012 00:25
I'd much rather have a 335i or 335d wagon if they offered them!

~Patrick
Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2012 03:17
atomiclightbulb wrote:

I just don't understand why americans dislike such vehicles.
Because they look like "tourer"?
Because of higher ground clearence?
Audi allroads are fine cars... I'm quite sure BMW will sell enough GTs to repay for r&d
Crosstour was simply ugly... and was not sold where it could sell (like some EU countries, Russia, China)
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2012 11:05
I think the "simply ugly" part is why.
shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 07:44
I, an American, dislike this BMW because it IS ugly.
Audi Allroads are generally not ugly.
The 5 GT is ugly, the 3 GT is ugly...

And no, I am not a BMW hater ;-) have two in the garage.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 10:12
The front doesn't flow with the rear. The rear isn't too bad really.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 11:39
Must be me, but I like it - then again if its cargo room and visibility are as compromised as the Crosstour's then I agree it is pretty pointless. I think the X6 is far uglier. and the Panamera for that matter.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 12:18
Restless wrote:
atomiclightbulb wrote:

Audi allroads are fine cars... I'm quite sure BMW will sell enough GTs to repay for r&d
Crosstour was simply ugly... and was not sold where it could sell (like some EU countries, Russia, China)

Being a bit ETHNOCENTRIC, aren't we?

The first time I saw the picture, I immediately thought that BMW has copied the Crosstour.

No man... if you like this Beemer then you must love the Crosstour, because their proportions are just about identical.

Yikes.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Ugly Machine
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 14:04
Had a chance to check out a new, silver, loaded V6 yesterday and it is very much "improved." Lots of better resolved bits both in and out. Still, my overall beef with the car is the ride height and the wheels are a bit rugged in design.

This BMW doesn't offend me too much because it "sits" pretty well. Try some 19s on that baby...
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 14:09
Neal wrote:
Had a chance to check out a new, silver, loaded V6 yesterday and it is very much "improved." Lots of better resolved bits both in and out. Still, my overall beef with the car is the ride height and the wheels are a bit rugged in design.

This BMW doesn't offend me too much because it "sits" pretty well. Try some 19s on that baby...

I saw a new Crosstour yesterday at the dealer, but I only walked around the outside, very cautiously and at a safe distance. I didn't want to get any of that thing on me.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 14:34
Ha! I looked inside with trepidation...

Also got to drive a 2013 EX Civic (Kona Brown w/black cloth interior) and was honestly amazed by the transformation when viewed side by side with a '12. The faux stitching looked darn legit. I'd dare say that even the EX black interior can hold its own with an Accord Sport, and the interior door panels may be better designed than the ILX. Reflectors and "rear diffuser" insert really help the rear and the new tails and thin chrome garnish look substantial and upscale.

Still sits too high (wheel gap) due to pedestrian impact regs (so they say) and could really use a set of standard 17s to match the Elantra Limited's very nice set and stance.

The Civic is back on my radar as I'm sure the revised Si is more ready-to-roll (all things considered).
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 14:48
Driving the Accord V6 6MT certainly ruined any chance I'd consider a redesigned Civic. If I am going to have a lower redline, I will take it with almost 300 horsepower.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 15:56
A77 wrote:
Must be me, but I like it - then again if its cargo room and visibility are as compromised as the Crosstour's then I agree it is pretty pointless. I think the X6 is far uglier. and the Panamera for that matter.

I actually reall like the Panamera. It's different, but looks good in person.
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 18:01
5 GT is ugly, and this one is no different. Crosstour is ugly also.

A7, on the other hand, is elegant. Panamera isn't bad either. There might be some similarities in the shape of these cars, but the devil is in the details.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 19:44
Restless wrote:

I don't dislike hatchbacks generally. For example, I think the Tesla Model S looks fantastic. I just don't like particular designs like the Crosstour and this BMW.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 20:05
Neal wrote:
Ha! I looked inside with trepidation...

Also got to drive a 2013 EX Civic (Kona Brown w/black cloth interior) and was honestly amazed by the transformation when viewed side by side with a '12. The faux stitching looked darn legit. I'd dare say that even the EX black interior can hold its own with an Accord Sport, and the interior door panels may be better designed than the ILX. Reflectors and "rear diffuser" insert really help the rear and the new tails and thin chrome garnish look substantial and upscale.

Still sits too high (wheel gap) due to pedestrian impact regs (so they say) and could really use a set of standard 17s to match the Elantra Limited's very nice set and stance.

The Civic is back on my radar as I'm sure the revised Si is more ready-to-roll (all things considered).

We had a '12 Crosstour on a 6 week loan last May/June.

I liked the interior very much. The gauges were very well finished, the controls were well laid out, the NAVI was easy to read and it fit us fine.

Power wise, being a V6, it had plenty of grunt and would easily come up to 80/85 on the freeway, although tight turns did require some thinking and I couldn't throw it into a four wheel slip mode through turns as easily as my last Odyssey... it was a terminal under steer vehicle all the way.

The suspension was a good balance between comfort and control. I had no complains about it.

The interior, though, was a bit tight for how wide and long the exterior was. And the nose thrust out horizontally a la platypus... it just didn't connect with the body line. Ditto for the 'flying buttresses" at either side of the back end. Overall the car's exterior is NOT harmonious. It does not preset a fluid line from front to back and it just seems bloated for no reason.

The ride height is definitely ungainly looking, as if it were on stilts... But I could not complain about the height of the seats getting in and out. The body does need an Odyssey like rethinking.

Ultimately my wife hit the nail on the head when she noted that it felt "too big and too wide". She just didn't know where the vehicle ended. She never had this issue with the Odyssey.

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: More "Crosstour" from BMW    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 20:21
Restless wrote:
atomiclightbulb wrote:

I think you REALLY have to update yourself, like visiting

http://www.honda.co.ru/

or Honda's Web site in China.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0