[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
More.......................
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
More.......................
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
More.......................
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
More.......................
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
More.......................
Accord CrossTour --> Re: its been a year...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic Type R Promo
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: ASCC based CLX with Acura Sport (Mystery Concept)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Official TLX I4 0 - 60 test
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: SUV for Rough urban roads?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
RL / Legend --> Re: 2015 Honda Legend
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: Last day driving a TSX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Fiat finally ditches Ferrari
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future of sports cars
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RLX > > Re: Acura RLX Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Author
  Post New Thread
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2012 21:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RHalabi wrote:
I think the RLX will sell pretty well. I'm guessing around 25000 units a year. Its that good.

I think there may be a place for you on Acura's marketing team!
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 01:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
RHalabi wrote:
I think the RLX will sell pretty well. I'm guessing around 25000 units a year. Its that good.

I think there may be a place for you on Acura's marketing team!



I know once people try a left or right turn, the PAWS will be mind bending. I'm sure the german makers are going back to the drawing bored now for their next gen 5, a6, eclass to add this feature as a 10,000 dollar handling package.

Class leading handling, and mpg is not bad and IMO the Krell audio makes its best in class sound too. The best in class rear seat room means not that much to me personally but I can see its value.

The only thing I think it needs in the MMC or next gen is some snob transmission to make it stand more in line with its peers. i.e. dual clutch 8-10 speed autos. Maybe add a i4 base model to compete with the 528i 2.0T.

Personally, every time I want to upgrade my current vehicle which is paid off, I always stop myself by saying "keep saving for nsx, nothing else matters". I think sure I'll be happier in a new car but there really is no point since it wont quench the thirst. Nothing will except the nsx. But you know I often wonder if the sh-sh-awd rlx would be a nice buy since it has a slice of some nsx dna.

Another point is once the NSX is released I think it will increase RLX, TL, and ILX sales, just by being on the streets.
ClementZ
Profile for ClementZ
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 16:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RHalabi wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
RHalabi wrote:
I think the RLX will sell pretty well. I'm guessing around 25000 units a year. Its that good.

I think there may be a place for you on Acura's marketing team!



I know once people try a left or right turn, the PAWS will be mind bending. I'm sure the german makers are going back to the drawing bored now for their next gen 5, a6, eclass to add this feature as a 10,000 dollar handling package.

Class leading handling, and mpg is not bad and IMO the Krell audio makes its best in class sound too. The best in class rear seat room means not that much to me personally but I can see its value.

The only thing I think it needs in the MMC or next gen is some snob transmission to make it stand more in line with its peers. i.e. dual clutch 8-10 speed autos. Maybe add a i4 base model to compete with the 528i 2.0T.

Personally, every time I want to upgrade my current vehicle which is paid off, I always stop myself by saying "keep saving for nsx, nothing else matters". I think sure I'll be happier in a new car but there really is no point since it wont quench the thirst. Nothing will except the nsx. But you know I often wonder if the sh-sh-awd rlx would be a nice buy since it has a slice of some nsx dna.

Another point is once the NSX is released I think it will increase RLX, TL, and ILX sales, just by being on the streets.



I haven't driven the RLX. I'll probably never get the chance. But I do think you're overestimating what PAWS is capable of.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 18:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
ClementZ wrote:

I haven't driven the RLX. I'll probably never get the chance. But I do think you're overestimating what PAWS is capable of.



Never driven a 4WS Prelude either then? If/when you ever do, you'll find out.
Wingz1
Profile for Wingz1
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 19:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey sorry if I missed this but I can't figure out why they keep listing the Hybrid version at 370hp???

310+27+27+40= 404hp

The hybrid motor in the tranny is 40hp and a "generator" as well , but its still 40hp adding to the count so what gives??
costa
Profile for costa
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 20:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am an Acura fan (currently 2002 TL, 2008 MDX, and 2010 RDX) but I have to agree. While very well done, the base RLX is a 310 hp 3.5 litter transverse V6 FWD 6 speed automatic sedan. Pretty similar to the 2014 Chevy Impala in specs and external styling but at about just under twice the price. Yes it has PAWS and an elegant interior but if its going to take buyers from the Audi A6, BMW 535 or Mercedes E it needs to be a home run not ho hum and should have come out with 370 hp AWD and 7 speed DCT version. (We all know Audi came out with the AWD supercharged 3L V6 -now with 8 speed automatic- 310 hp 325 lbs ft before the FWD turbo 4 version). This may relegate the RLX to a perception of mediocrity and makes you wonder what technical troubles Acura is having with the hybrid/AWD. Frankly I prefer the SH-AWD of the 2012 RL than FWD limo 2013 RLX.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 20:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wingz1 wrote:
Hey sorry if I missed this but I can't figure out why they keep listing the Hybrid version at 370hp???

310+27+27+40= 404hp

The hybrid motor in the tranny is 40hp and a "generator" as well , but its still 40hp adding to the count so what gives??



I'm sure the "techies" on this site will jump in, but I believe you can't just add the numbers together to get a true total. Something to do with how/when the power is generated?
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 21:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
ClementZ wrote:
RHalabi wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
RHalabi wrote:
I think the RLX will sell pretty well. I'm guessing around 25000 units a year. Its that good.

I think there may be a place for you on Acura's marketing team!



I know once people try a left or right turn, the PAWS will be mind bending. I'm sure the german makers are going back to the drawing bored now for their next gen 5, a6, eclass to add this feature as a 10,000 dollar handling package.

Class leading handling, and mpg is not bad and IMO the Krell audio makes its best in class sound too. The best in class rear seat room means not that much to me personally but I can see its value.

The only thing I think it needs in the MMC or next gen is some snob transmission to make it stand more in line with its peers. i.e. dual clutch 8-10 speed autos. Maybe add a i4 base model to compete with the 528i 2.0T.

Personally, every time I want to upgrade my current vehicle which is paid off, I always stop myself by saying "keep saving for nsx, nothing else matters". I think sure I'll be happier in a new car but there really is no point since it wont quench the thirst. Nothing will except the nsx. But you know I often wonder if the sh-sh-awd rlx would be a nice buy since it has a slice of some nsx dna.

Another point is once the NSX is released I think it will increase RLX, TL, and ILX sales, just by being on the streets.



I haven't driven the RLX. I'll probably never get the chance. But I do think you're overestimating what PAWS is capable of.



Well Honda said it themselves! "class leading handling." But you will never understand how big of an impact 4 wheel steer is.

It really is unfair to even compare the RLX to anything else since the feature is such a huge handicap.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 09:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
This 1 is a little old & not sure how I missed it but wanted to post it as it is a rather confusing read: "bearing the Lexus emblem" ????

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2014-acura-rlx-ar127220.html?var_recherche=rlx
As we laid out earlier, with the exception of bearing the Lexus emblem, having 4 wheels, and 4 doors, the RLX concept is nothing like the 2012 RL.
PhrozeDeuce
Profile for PhrozeDeuce
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 11:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TSX69 wrote:
This 1 is a little old & not sure how I missed it but wanted to post it as it is a rather confusing read: "bearing the Lexus emblem" ????

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2014-acura-rlx-ar127220.html?var_recherche=rlx
As we laid out earlier, with the exception of bearing the Lexus emblem, having 4 wheels, and 4 doors, the RLX concept is nothing like the 2012 RL.



They lost credibility when they spoke the RLX and Toyota Avalon in the same breath and wanted to see a 4-cyl option. Seriously???
PhrozeDeuce
Profile for PhrozeDeuce
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 11:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TSX69 wrote:
This 1 is a little old & not sure how I missed it but wanted to post it as it is a rather confusing read: "bearing the Lexus emblem" ????

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2014-acura-rlx-ar127220.html?var_recherche=rlx
As we laid out earlier, with the exception of bearing the Lexus emblem, having 4 wheels, and 4 doors, the RLX concept is nothing like the 2012 RL.



They lost credibility when they spoke the RLX and Toyota Avalon in the same breath and wanted to see a 4-cyl option. Seriously???
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 15:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
PhrozeDeuce wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
This 1 is a little old & not sure how I missed it but wanted to post it as it is a rather confusing read: "bearing the Lexus emblem" ????

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2014-acura-rlx-ar127220.html?var_recherche=rlx
As we laid out earlier, with the exception of bearing the Lexus emblem, having 4 wheels, and 4 doors, the RLX concept is nothing like the 2012 RL.



They lost credibility when they spoke the RLX and Toyota Avalon in the same breath and wanted to see a 4-cyl option. Seriously???



I'd love to see a 4 cyl option to compete more evenly with the bmw 528i 2.0 4 cyclinder
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 07:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply


@ 21-23 seconds: There is something different about the exterior door handles. There is not just a dip for your hand to fit in, there seems to be an extra layer added there but not sure what for. I would have understood the extra piece if it were a different color like chrome or material but it seems to match the car.

@ 49 seconds: Looks like Acura is no longer making the back echo the front by ditching the pentagram shape around the license plate. Wish that they have closed off the interior 4the side of the tail lights with the LED tubing.

@ 1:17: I like the fog light area. The section is usually one of the weakest parts of Honda/Acura design where it looks like they just added the fog lights/vents as an afterthought. This appears to be integrated into the design well.

@ 1:40: Heated rear seats I believe is an Acura 1st ... ? What does that middle button do? Looks like the dial (temp control?) lights up - nice touch.

@ 1:56: 4 out of the 6 buttons are in use. Wonder what the last 2 are for.

@ 2:21: They are doing the ceiling cut-out again so rear passengers still have more head room

Still not a fan of the wood. I hope that Acura will at least give wood color options or a metal accent package to cover it.

I ponder if Acura will use that wheel resonator thing they debuted on the 2011 RL - have heard anything about it.


CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 14:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I really want to like the RLX but the design overall is just to plain. It really doesn't look all that modern compared to say the Audi A7 or the new BMW 4 Series as those cars have modern elements that are successfully implemented into their designs. The RLX on the other hand could be from model year 2008 and I would not even think twice.

Acura, first and foremost get your design team in line or wipe the slate clean and hire an all new design staff as the current is clueless about complete design execution. After that get you sedan lineup in order by size, performance and pricing structure as currently its all over the place. Last but not least be competitive with technology as currently (excluding SH SH-AWD) the technologies you're just now offering have been available by the competition for a few years now.


~Patrick
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 14:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
After visiting the RLX LA show video, a couple of things.
The alloy wheels look like wheel covers, the tail lights appear to be stolen from a Cruze and the hoopty front fender curves still suck.

I'm sure the techno-stuff will be cool, but will this be enough?



superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 14:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
After visiting the RLX LA show video, a few things.
The alloy wheels look like wheel covers, the tail lights appear to be stolen from a Cruze and the hoopty front fender curves still suck.

I'm sure the techno-stuff will be cool, but will this be enough?
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 14:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CivicB18 wrote:
I really want to like the RLX but the design overall is just to plain. It really doesn't look all that modern compared to say the Audi A7 or the new BMW 4 Series as those cars have modern elements that are successfully implemented into their designs. The RLX on the other hand could be from model year 2008 and I would not even think twice.

Acura, first and foremost get your design team in line or wipe the slate clean and hire an all new design staff as the current is clueless about complete design execution. After that get you sedan lineup in order by size, performance and pricing structure as currently its all over the place. Last but not least be competitive with technology as currently (excluding SH SH-AWD) the technologies you're just now offering have been available by the competition for a few years now.

~Patrick



I think this is a very good point and observation. After watching the video here, the RLX is a very "nice" car with some very "nice" features, but nothing that is really exciting. That's what people want in this space.

I actually believe a minor wheel design change could up the ante a tad and maybe get some better reaction. The wheels on the car are just boring. This reminds me of the present RL. A very "nice", competent, well put together vehicle, but boring as hell. When you are BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., you can maybe get away with a bland design (E class, 5'er), but Acura is far from that brand cache.

The RLX will probably sell as well as the present RL...ok, maybe a tad better, but not much. Acura still doesn't get it, IMO.
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 16:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TSX69 wrote:
I ponder if Acura will use that wheel resonator thing they debuted on the 2011 RL - have heard anything about it.

Is this it? From the press release:

"The RLX’s alloy wheels also feature a noise-reducing design that lowers tire noise by 7 decibels across the audible frequency range."
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 16:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TSX69 wrote:@ 1:40: Heated rear seats I believe is an Acura 1st ... ? What does that middle button do? Looks like the dial (temp control?) lights up - nice touch.

I think middle button is for rear sun-shade.
Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 17:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CivicB18 wrote:
I really want to like the RLX but the design overall is just to plain. It really doesn't look all that modern compared to say the Audi A7 or the new BMW 4 Series as those cars have modern elements that are successfully implemented into their designs. The RLX on the other hand could be from model year 2008 and I would not even think twice.

Acura, first and foremost get your design team in line or wipe the slate clean and hire an all new design staff as the current is clueless about complete design execution. After that get you sedan lineup in order by size, performance and pricing structure as currently its all over the place. Last but not least be competitive with technology as currently (excluding SH SH-AWD) the technologies you're just now offering have been available by the competition for a few years now.


~Patrick



I am beginning to appreciate (took me this long to realize) Honda and Acura's approach to their designs because most, if not all, of their designs age really well. IMO Audi's design age really fast - its seems they look great at first, then they go meh - fast. The same is for me with the current BMWs.

Having said that, I do agree that Acura's design team is lagging behind. Fire them all off? I would like to give them a second chance because of this: the 2004 TL. That car is simply stunning and I still love it. They also got the ILX almost right (that car is, dare I say, sexy). And kill me but I also love the ZDX.

I wish the designers of the RLX mimic the ILX styling most especially the car's prominent rear shoulders. Too late to cry over spilled milk though. I hope Acura will not take any missteps in their designs anymore. Several years is enough.


TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 18:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza: that might be it but the wording was different than the description in 2011 which made me think it was something else.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 19:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jesse wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:
I really want to like the RLX but the design overall is just to plain. It really doesn't look all that modern compared to say the Audi A7 or the new BMW 4 Series as those cars have modern elements that are successfully implemented into their designs. The RLX on the other hand could be from model year 2008 and I would not even think twice.

Acura, first and foremost get your design team in line or wipe the slate clean and hire an all new design staff as the current is clueless about complete design execution. After that get you sedan lineup in order by size, performance and pricing structure as currently its all over the place. Last but not least be competitive with technology as currently (excluding SH SH-AWD) the technologies you're just now offering have been available by the competition for a few years now.


~Patrick



I am beginning to appreciate (took me this long to realize) Honda and Acura's approach to their designs because most, if not all, of their designs age really well. IMO Audi's design age really fast - its seems they look great at first, then they go meh - fast. The same is for me with the current BMWs.

Having said that, I do agree that Acura's design team is lagging behind. Fire them all off? I would like to give them a second chance because of this: the 2004 TL. That car is simply stunning and I still love it. They also got the ILX almost right (that car is, dare I say, sexy). And kill me but I also love the ZDX.

I wish the designers of the RLX mimic the ILX styling most especially the car's prominent rear shoulders. Too late to cry over spilled milk though. I hope Acura will not take any missteps in their designs anymore. Several years is enough.






You can have execute an interesting design that ages well, looks modern and timeless all at the same time. The front of the RLX looks like something from the mid 2000's.

The TL 2004-08 TL was a great design. It was interesting, distinctive, modern and timeless. It still looks great today as I have a white diamond 2008! Give the designers another chance you say? Why? Erik Berkman made the 04-08 TL happen as be was determined to bring that design to market even though the execs thought it was too polarizing and deemed too expensive. Guess what? It's the best selling TL to date!

Acuras design team needs to think outside the box and deliver something special. Even better, Acura needs a huge home run to get people to notice the brand again. The upcoming NSX can't carry the whole brand asthe rest of the products just merely exist. Acura needs to make a benchmark and remain consistent!


~Patrick
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 19:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jesse wrote:
I am beginning to appreciate (took me this long to realize) Honda and Acura's approach to their designs because most, if not all, of their designs age really well. IMO Audi's design age really fast - its seems they look great at first, then they go meh - fast. The same is for me with the current BMWs.

I get what you're saying, and as a person who doesn't buy cars brand new, I too appreciate styling that ages well. That said, what Audi and BMW do is part of the beauty of their business. Make the most beautiful/interesting cars of the moment, and sell them - or lease them - to well-to-do people. When the lease is up, those consumers get the newest one. Or for those who bought, buy the newest one when it comes out, if only because the new one is the most beautiful/interesting of the moment, and the old one's styling has gotten stale. They have the means to make a new purchase - so give them the desire. It really and truly doesn't matter if everyone thinks the 5-year-old BMW whatever-series is ugly. Because there's a new gorgeous one on sale. That's what the new car buyers want, it's what the consumers whose leases are ending want, and it's what BMW wants. Best of all, the new cars have such a pull that you forget that the last one aged quickly... you just want it!

This is just another reason why Honda Motor Company is not really made for the luxury market. They are too thoughtful of their customers' long-term needs. I've always thought this especially in terms of wheel/tire packages. BMW gives you 19 or 20-inch wheels, with staggered tire sizes front and rear. And it's gorgeous and appealing, but the customer is in for a big surprise the first time they go shopping for tires. Meanwhile Acura customers will be far more pleased when they go buy standard tires for their 17 or 18" wheels. Very thoughtful of HMC. But also missing the point of the excess of luxury - and losing sales because of it. "Stupid" as those BMW owners are, they keep buying BMWs. Acura needs to tap into "stupid," not "Smart Luxury." The big money lies in stupid - save the smart for the Honda brand. "A fool and his money are soon parted."
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 22:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
Jesse wrote:
I am beginning to appreciate (took me this long to realize) Honda and Acura's approach to their designs because most, if not all, of their designs age really well. IMO Audi's design age really fast - its seems they look great at first, then they go meh - fast. The same is for me with the current BMWs.

I get what you're saying, and as a person who doesn't buy cars brand new, I too appreciate styling that ages well. That said, what Audi and BMW do is part of the beauty of their business. Make the most beautiful/interesting cars of the moment, and sell them - or lease them - to well-to-do people. When the lease is up, those consumers get the newest one. Or for those who bought, buy the newest one when it comes out, if only because the new one is the most beautiful/interesting of the moment, and the old one's styling has gotten stale. They have the means to make a new purchase - so give them the desire. It really and truly doesn't matter if everyone thinks the 5-year-old BMW whatever-series is ugly. Because there's a new gorgeous one on sale. That's what the new car buyers want, it's what the consumers whose leases are ending want, and it's what BMW wants. Best of all, the new cars have such a pull that you forget that the last one aged quickly... you just want it!

This is just another reason why Honda Motor Company is not really made for the luxury market. They are too thoughtful of their customers' long-term needs. I've always thought this especially in terms of wheel/tire packages. BMW gives you 19 or 20-inch wheels, with staggered tire sizes front and rear. And it's gorgeous and appealing, but the customer is in for a big surprise the first time they go shopping for tires. Meanwhile Acura customers will be far more pleased when they go buy standard tires for their 17 or 18" wheels. Very thoughtful of HMC. But also missing the point of the excess of luxury - and losing sales because of it. "Stupid" as those BMW owners are, they keep buying BMWs. Acura needs to tap into "stupid," not "Smart Luxury." The big money lies in stupid - save the smart for the Honda brand. "A fool and his money are soon parted."



That is another reason Honda/Acura offers A-Spec/HFP suspension packages as an accessory vs offering a Sport package from the factory. I believe I read somewhere since these packages lower the vehicle slightly that Honda/Acura would have to get those vehicles retested in regards to crash tests. It seems to me that offering a sport package from the factory would be more cost effective as people would have to take the vehicle back to the dealer to purchase and install those parts. I'm willing to bet BMW, Audi and other brands make a large profit offering factory sport packages.

In regards to timeless designs I think the Germans are just as good in offering these designs vs Honda/Acura as cars like the E46 3 Series and the original Audi A4 still look great. They've aged no more vs Acuras of the same time frame.


~Patrick


superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 22:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jesse wrote:
They also got the ILX almost right


Unfortunately, getting a new model almost right can sometimes be a problem for the dealer's. There are now 141 ILX's gathering dust at my 2 local dealers.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 23:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
Jesse wrote:
They also got the ILX almost right


Unfortunately, getting a new model almost right can sometimes be a problem for the dealer's. There are now 141 ILX's gathering dust at my 2 local dealers.




I'll wager they're not gathering dust because of their looks.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2012 01:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Jesse wrote:
They also got the ILX almost right


Unfortunately, getting a new model almost right can sometimes be a problem for the dealer's. There are now 141 ILX's gathering dust at my 2 local dealers.




I'll wager they're not gathering dust because of their looks.



If I was Acura:
-Acura ILX 2.4/CVT
-Acura ILX 2.0t FWD 7DCT/6MT
-Acura ILX 2.0t SH-AWD 7DCT/6MT
-Acura ILX Hybrid (from the Accord Hybrid).

I would lower the price of entry and the hybrid (if possible) and leave the pricing as is for the 2.0t models.


~Patrick
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2012 02:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Jesse wrote:
They also got the ILX almost right


Unfortunately, getting a new model almost right can sometimes be a problem for the dealer's. There are now 141 ILX's gathering dust at my 2 local dealers.




I'll wager they're not gathering dust because of their looks.


Agreed, it's not a bad looking car, but I don't think we've had a single TOV'er purchase a 2.0 or a 1.5 ILX since they've been on the market.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2012 02:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CivicB18 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Jesse wrote:
They also got the ILX almost right


Unfortunately, getting a new model almost right can sometimes be a problem for the dealer's. There are now 141 ILX's gathering dust at my 2 local dealers.




I'll wager they're not gathering dust because of their looks.



If I was Acura:
-Acura ILX 2.4/CVT
-Acura ILX 2.0t FWD 7DCT/6MT
-Acura ILX 2.0t SH-AWD 7DCT/6MT
-Acura ILX Hybrid (from the Accord Hybrid).

I would lower the price of entry and the hybrid (if possible) and leave the pricing as is for the 2.0t models.


~Patrick


The "t" in 2.0t denoting a turbo, at no additional charge?

JP
Profile for JP
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2012 02:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Jesse wrote:
They also got the ILX almost right


Unfortunately, getting a new model almost right can sometimes be a problem for the dealer's. There are now 141 ILX's gathering dust at my 2 local dealers.




I'll wager they're not gathering dust because of their looks.



If I was Acura:
-Acura ILX 2.4/CVT
-Acura ILX 2.0t FWD 7DCT/6MT
-Acura ILX 2.0t SH-AWD 7DCT/6MT
-Acura ILX Hybrid (from the Accord Hybrid).

I would lower the price of entry and the hybrid (if possible) and leave the pricing as is for the 2.0t models.


~Patrick


The "t" in 2.0t denoting a turbo, at no additional charge?




Acura is more likely to get 1.6L turbocharged than 2.0L... Output would be around 210-230 hp I guess...
 
Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0