[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Atta boy, we are back!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 14:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sorry guys, I posted a few updates on our twitter page during the outage.

We had a drive go south on the database server. It took me some time to extract the server from the data center, source new drives, restore, repair, reconfigure, etc... and then reinstall the server. To make matters worse, I got the machine back into the data center at around 11:15AM today but there was a single file permission glitch on one of the webservers that prevented the entire operation from starting back up as it should have. So it took me a while to track THAT down.

I probably could have had it back online late yesterday afternoon but some config glitches on our backup side meant getting our backups took me a lot longer than it should have. I have brand new drives in the database server now, restored the latest backup (which was from around 2 or 3AM on Nov 20th., so we lost something like 8 or 9 hours worth of early morning comments), and hopefully resolved the config glitches which made the backups glitch.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 14:33
Thanks for all the hard work. Technology failures suck, i just lost my 7 year old Dell yesterday. New one arrives Monday.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 15:09
YAY!
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 15:11
(1) Twitter? What's that?

(2) RAID-5+1. I run two RAID 5 arrays at home... identical Dell computers (Bought three used ones, one is for spares). One backs the other... triple redundancy. I'll never lose pictures of the kids again.

(3) At least the price of hard drives is coming back down, huh?

(4) Good job. Thanks.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 15:46
Thanks for all your hard work, Jeff!
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 15:53
TonyE wrote:
(1) Twitter? What's that?

(2) RAID-5+1. I run two RAID 5 arrays at home... identical Dell computers (Bought three used ones, one is for spares). One backs the other... triple redundancy. I'll never lose pictures of the kids again.

(3) At least the price of hard drives is coming back down, huh?

(4) Good job. Thanks.

we have RAID but unfortunately I got caught in a technology snag on this one server. When i bought it, it was so "state of the art" none of the stable operating systems had reliable drivers for the raid setup, and we were badly in need of getting this server installed, so I ended up just doing some scripts to achieve 1:3 redundancy. The plan was to implement the RAID once the drivers were sorted out. Well, it turns out there were some version changes along the way which broke compatibility with our (ancient) CMS architecture. We needed to run a version of the SQL server which was incompatible with the newer versions of the OS (which had improved support for our RAID setup). Maybe with some big time mucking around we could make it work but it would require a prolonged downtime for this server. I could probably set up our "cold spare" to step in in the meantime but it's so much weaker than our current server it would struggle to deal with anything approaching our peak loads.

Anyhow, we're looking at options as to getting out of the "owned server" business so I don't have to worry about this stuff, but then we have to do a lot of work to figure out exactly how much something like Amazon Web Services (or similar) would cost us. I'm sure we'd have to put in a lot of work to optimize everything for performance vs. cost.

(3) Server-class hard drives are as expensive as ever. The capacities go up but the prices are still ridiculous. And we don't need the huge capacities - our entire database fits VERY comfortably on a 36GB partition. I've thought about trying some desktop drives just to "get me by" until we get bigger, badder servers, but I'm just not comfortable with that, so yesterday was sort of an expensive trip to MicroCenter.

(4) you're welcome. I'm just glad this failure happened yesterday as opposed to today. We would have probably been dark until sometime into next week.
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 16:24
All of the above pretty much is Greek to me...but thank you for your time, money, and effort!

I definitely come here first to get my Honda fix, and I know I'm not the only one who depends on you guys, so again, THANK YOU!!

Maybe a cookie bake sale is in order to raise some funds? I make a mean snickerdoodle...
trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 16:52
Does this mean we're finally getting new forum software?
JP
Profile for JP
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 16:55
TurkMan71 wrote:
All of the above pretty much is Greek to me...but thank you for your time, money, and effort!

I definitely come here first to get my Honda fix, and I know I'm not the only one who depends on you guys, so again, THANK YOU!!

Maybe a cookie bake sale is in order to raise some funds? I make a mean snickerdoodle...

What about the International Convention of TOV'ers!
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 17:38
If you can make do by hosting your web sites somewhere.. go for it.

Admittedly my web sites are nothing like TOV but all i gotta do is to keep an eye on them, keep the spam filters up and periodically ftp or login to them.

I think it's cheaper on the long run and you don't have to panic.

Just make sure to use a stable provider. I've heard horror stories. I use AT&T.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 18:02
How many of us (apart from Andrew and I) wondered if we were being locked out by our employers and needed to check TOV on our smartphones....
JP
Profile for JP
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 18:07
A77 wrote:
How many of us (apart from Andrew and I) wondered if we were being locked out by our employers and needed to check TOV on our smartphones....

lol
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 18:16
I was having trouble with severe withdrawal symptoms! :)
revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 22:34
A77 wrote:

QFT
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 22:49
Heck, I thought I finally pissed off Jeff and Shawn enough for them to ban me!
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 23:09
Now that you guys have solved that problem, would it be possible to consider updating/refreshing the site to make it look more 2012-ish haha? And that Model Release Matrix and pretty much all other things up in that menu are outdated.

But I only use the news and recent forum messages so what do I care lol.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2012 00:45
The look's just fine. I'm finely getting used to this new look after the original black look of the nineties! :D
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Atta boy, we are back!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2012 09:31
sadlerau wrote:
The look's just fine. I'm finely getting used to this new look after the original black look of the nineties! :D

Same here. I agree the look is fine. The KISS principle allows more of a focus on the things that matter.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0