[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
CR-V --> Re: What is the Swedish word for "lame"?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Amazing "2WD" Honda CR-V
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: HONDA CR-V AWD Fail!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: V8 Supercars Bathurst 1000
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Standard Wheels On 4 Cyl. Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > IMA/Hybrids > > Re: Long term Electric motor reliability.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Long term Electric motor reliability.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 09:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So, we know that batteries go bad eventually, because that's what batteries do. Obviously, over the course of some 200,000 miles one will need to replace the battery pack.

So, what about the actual electric motors? Do they have a lifespan that goes as long as the gas engine itself? And when they do go bad, how much does one of them cost to replace?

As of now, I still see a whole pile of 20-25 year old Hondas on the road. Daily. Often. Plus, I'm the type of guy who will drive a car into the ground. Now, if I was convinced to buy a hybrid in the future--especially one of the new ones with the new high-po-high-tech mega dual motor jobs, what could I expect over the course of ownership for replacement costs and timelines and whatnot?

That's something that's been bugging me.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Long term Electric motor reliability.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 10:15
It depends. As you go for more and more finely "tuned" electric motors with higher and higher outputs for a given size, or using higher and higher voltages, you are more likely to have breakdowns - usually in insulators or windings.

But, in general, electric motors should be more reliable than a piston engine. Compared to an IC engine you have no serious heat or pressure and very few moving parts. If anything, when you look at the industrial world, electric motors are actually better developed and very well understood compared to internal combustion.

SC
Tsx24Mivtec
Profile for Tsx24Mivtec
Re: Long term Electric motor reliability.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 14:14
Pretty much exactly what notpyer said is spot on. I work in the industrial world(power plant) and the electric motor is very simple device with few moving parts, just the rotor and bearings supporting the shaft.
In general the most common failure on an electric motor is the bearings. I know some motors that have run 24/7 non stop for over 7yrs with no issues and still going.
The ic engine will fail long before an electric motor will. You shouldn't worry about the motor. Its the battery that is the problem
S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: Long term Electric motor reliability.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 18:27
Great answers. Thanks, gents.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0