[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Pilot --> Re: Pilot Spy Shots
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Valid reason for an ILX Type-S 2.0t/SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driven 6cylinder Advanced.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX production
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Hell Wombat
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dodge unveils 204 mph Charger Hellcat
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: N22B
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Beware
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Weight distribution
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I drove the TLX V6 Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Competition heating up
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
jim628
Profile for jim628
Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 19:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sorry if it has been discussed. I can't seem to find the search feature.

Here are my questions:
[1] Are they both having the same engine?
[2] Are they both having the same manual gearboxes?
[3] Any opinion from anybody who has test driven both?

Thanks
Jim
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 19:36
I have test driven neither, but I can provide you with this info:

The engines are not the same, the Accord has a K24W1, or Earth Dreams engine. The ILX has the old K24 (I couldn't find the exact number).
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 22:01
Driven neither, but ILX has the K24Z7 (non-Earth Dreams) and has tighter gear ratios than the Accord.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 22:55
jim628 wrote:
Sorry if it has been discussed. I can't seem to find the search feature.

Here are my questions:
[1] Are they both having the same engine?
[2] Are they both having the same manual gearboxes?
[3] Any opinion from anybody who has test driven both?

Thanks
Jim

From Honda and Acura website:

Honda Accord 6MT Sport
Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.642, 2nd: 2.080, 3rd: 1.361, 4th: 1.023, 5th: 0.829, 6th: 0.686, Reverse: 3.673, Final Drive Ratio: 4.105

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 189 @ 6400
Torque @ rpm (lb-ft)182 @ 3900

Curb weight: 3276 lbs

Acura ILX 6MT
Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.27, 2nd: 2.04, 3rd: 1.43, 4th: 1.07, 5th: 0.83, 6th: 0.65 Reverse: 3.58, Final Drive Ratio: 4.77

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 201 @ 7000
Torque @ rpm (lb-ft)170 @ 4400

Curb weight: 2978 lbs

The ILX is lighter, have shorter gearing, and more powerful engine. What you need now is go out to the dealers and asked for a test drive.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 08:38
The ILX is a much smaller car in footprint as well so the weight that is there is closer to the center of the car. It may not corner better than the Accord but I bet it sure feels like it does.
TheGripper
Profile for TheGripper
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 08:54
I have my new MDX at the dealer for a remote start install and they gave me an ILX for a loaner. I only used it to get lunch a few blocks away. In my opinion this should not be an Acura. I think this vehicle will turn more people away from the brand than on board. Forget the ridiculous pricing, this thing is a mistake.

After the dealer couldn't finish the install before I had to leave they gave me a '12 TSX as an overnight loaner. Despite the 5 speed and the steering and braking feel, it's a much better representation of the brand. In fact I may buy it for my wife - that's worthy of another thread...TSX vs Accord. My point is...give the TSX a look over the ILX.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 14:49
TheGripper wrote:
I have my new MDX at the dealer for a remote start install and they gave me an ILX for a loaner. I only used it to get lunch a few blocks away. In my opinion this should not be an Acura. I think this vehicle will turn more people away from the brand than on board. Forget the ridiculous pricing, this thing is a mistake.

After the dealer couldn't finish the install before I had to leave they gave me a '12 TSX as an overnight loaner. Despite the 5 speed and the steering and braking feel, it's a much better representation of the brand. In fact I may buy it for my wife - that's worthy of another thread...TSX vs Accord. My point is...give the TSX a look over the ILX.

I didn't drive one, but I sat in one last week. Of course, the dealer has 5AT models oozing out of every nook and cranny on the lot because nobody wants them...

The interior was nicer than I expected materials wise (probably about on par with Accord, maybe slightly better in some areas), but the car felt too small, and the back seat was noticeably less comfortable than the Civic's because it felt quite a bit smaller and more claustrophobic. It looks OK in person, but certainly isn't a car that is going to drag people in based on its amazing styling. Of course, the overall package isn't going to keep them there for the price either, which has been clearly reflected in the sales volumes of the car. Having looked at Audi's and BMW's in essentially the same trip (the dealer is in a super-block), I can say with comfortable ease that I would rather buy a used E92 3 series, or A4 versus a new ILX. I would also rather step up to a new 328i versus a new ILX, even though there would be an unquestionable price penalty to get a well loaded one.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 15:34
Several month's back many of us were chastised for not seeing the inherent goodness in all ILX's. (I like the 2.4, 6 speed just fine.)

The 2 local dealer's near me now have a combined total of 138 ILX 2.0's in inventory. Short of Acura rolling out some big incentives to help them, I think the dealers are in big trouble with these 150 horsepower underachievers.

And the $35K Hybrids, fuggedaboutit!

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 17:05
We knew it had a "difficult road ahead" on the very first day of the press event.

The RDX, on the other hand...
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 19:54
Sometimes I have a hard time believing that Honda made both the overachieving Accord yet the ILX was the exact opposite. If Acura was smart, they would have waited until the EarthDreams drivetrains were available and then released it as of now I can't find one single reason I'd purchase it. If anything, this hurt the brand.

What I'd like to see:

- ILX 2.4 EarthDreams 6MT/6AT (LSD on the manual)
- ILX 2.0t 6MT/7DCT SH-AWD (260hp)
- ILX 2.0 Hybrid which would use the hybrid system from the upcoming Accord Hybrid.

~Patrick
P.s. I know, wishful thinking on my part.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 23:38
superchg2 wrote:
Several month's back many of us were chastised for not seeing the inherent goodness in all ILX's. (I like the 2.4, 6 speed just fine.)

The 2 local dealer's near me now have a combined total of 138 ILX 2.0's in inventory. Short of Acura rolling out some big incentives to help them, I think the dealers are in big trouble with these 150 horsepower underachievers.

And the $35K Hybrids, fuggedaboutit!

Acura rolled out the incentives long ago. I was on Acura.com the other night for grins and giggles, and they are offering lease rates as low as $229 a month for 5AT ILX's. Not only is that ludicrous, but it is arguably worse than what they are giving 2012 Civics away for. Hell, I couldn't touch that if I tried with my 09 Civic 3 years ago, and it was at least $2-3K less than the cheapest ILX at list.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 11:29
It was evident from the outset. As I mentioned earlier the one at the local car show back in March was garnering zero attention. NOBODY was even looking at it. The RDX on the other hand was obviously going to be a hit and for sure it has been. As a community I feel, we on TOV rarely get it wrong. Last gen CRV being the only exception - generally its styling was not liked, though much of the CRVs success came after MMC, when it was much improved underbite-wise. Of course styling isnt everything - but is a lot. The new Accord is a great success in Canada and the last model never was. People might argue, or even really believe, that it's due to fuel efficiency, features, safety etc but looks has a lot more to do with it. ILX fails on so many counts and if the new Civic is as improved as we hope, there's another nail in its already part finished coffin.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 12:15
The problems with the ILX IMO are unspectacular powertrains and feature list.

At the very least, I think Acura should make the ILX as well equipped as the new Accord. They should also put the Accord powertrains into the ILX.

Basically, if the ILX can become a smaller version of the Accord, it should do fine.

I don't think the styling is an issue but I don't mind Acura making it look a bit more aggressive.
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 15:27
I think we all know by now that Acura is a truck (or light truck, whatever you want to categorize it) company.

Honda should learn by now that when they don't go all out on their efforts, they produce a dud just like everyone else. Building a car in the luxury car segment (loosely defined) could appeal to most everyone is actually a car that almost no one would care about.

A77
Profile for A77
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 16:40
Hondarulez wrote:

At the very least, I think Acura should make the ILX as well equipped as the new Accord. They should also put the Accord powertrains into the ILX.

Basically, if the ILX can become a smaller version of the Accord, it should do fine.

I don't think the styling is an issue but I don't mind Acura making it look a bit more aggressive.

Accord auto power train wont fit apparently (at least with old K24/5AT - maybe with the CVT it can?
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 18:14
A77 wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

Accord auto power train wont fit apparently (at least with old K24/5AT - maybe with the CVT it can?

We know that K24+6MT fits, and K24+5AT doesn't. So yea, perhaps the CVT might work :) 189hp/182lbft K24 + CVT or 6MT option in a 2900lb car isn't bad for a base model.

Currently, the Accord K24+CVT is rated at 27/36mpg.

The ILX R20+5AT is rated at 24/35mpg.

The fact that the ILX is about 300lb lighter than the Accord means that with the K24+CVT, the ILX should return around 28/37mpg. The best thing is that it would also be faster than the Accord CVT, which does 0-60mph in around 7.5s and 1/4 mile in 15.3@92mph. All of that starts at $26k would make be quiet tempting IMO, along with added features.
mac_powah
Profile for mac_powah
Re: Accord 6MT vs ILX 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 19:43
Though I mostly agree with your statement, 2 of the 3 engines are unspectacular. I have a 2.4 model and can tell you that the k24 is an amazing engine - revs so smoothly, is eager and zippy while still being tremendously refined. Not sure why, but the 2.4 in the ILX feels more urgent and torquier than the 3.0 I6 in my previous car (2011 BMW 128i).

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy