[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic Tourer - Facelift Spied
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Spied at a Kroger! 2013 Honda Accord Sedan > > Re: Interior (dash) picture

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author

dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 19:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Here is a picture of the dash.

benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 19:41
dutchboy wrote:
Here is a picture of the dash.

Cool. Thanks. That's helpful!+++
SKYSpy70
Profile for SKYSpy70
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 19:42
Cool... Good to see the layout at last!!!

SS...
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 19:46
Nice Find! Thanks for sharing.

I was a little worried about how the gauges combined with the i-mid would look. I still can't tell all the way with that pop-up in the way, but it's looking better integrated than I thought it would.
ClementZ
Profile for ClementZ
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 19:46
Touring, I presume?
Lookin good.

Steering wheel doesn't look as beefy as it did in some pictures.
And I'm curious as to what the large knob at the bottom of the centre console does.
TLjatt559
Profile for TLjatt559
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 20:02
ClementZ wrote:
Touring, I presume?
Lookin good.

Steering wheel doesn't look as beefy as it did in some pictures.
And I'm curious as to what the large knob at the bottom of the centre console does.

that's for navigation
TheGandalf
Profile for TheGandalf
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 20:18
I really like how it looks. The wheel does indeed look less beefy than in the first puctures...
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 20:30
TheGandalf wrote:
I really like how it looks. The wheel does indeed look less beefy than in the first puctures...

Looks good to me as well. Buttons are separated by function and the overall geometry is pleasing to the eye, unlike the mess that was the 8G Accord dash.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 21:56
atomiclightbulb wrote:
TheGandalf wrote:

Looks good to me as well. Buttons are separated by function and the overall geometry is pleasing to the eye, unlike the mess that was the 8G Accord dash.

Not sure about that. The center appears off-center, with three separate stacks.

I am not sure if they should have gone with that silver...it isn't doing too much for me at the moment.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 22:45
Nope, don't like it - at all! Too many design elements and none of them seem to integrate at all well, let alone smoothly :(

The steering wheel has those large round buttons, which I'm slowly coming around too, BUT the integration of the oblong buttons just above them grates to my eyes.

It lacks the integrated look of Honda dashes of old - I am really becoming the wrong demographic! Hopefully it will work brilliantly as an ergonomic design - which would be it's one saving grace!

So far I have found the Civic dash to be a 6/10, the Euro Civic dash only a 5/10 and this would be no better - but I'll reserve Accord judgement till I've sat in one [which living in Australia probably means 2014!]

Just my humble opinion.
Husker
Profile for Husker
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2012 23:00
I don't have any complaints...I LIKE WHAT I SEE SO FAR.

Husker
ctvader
Profile for ctvader
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 05:32
I'm sloooooowly coming around to the round buttons but it looks a little 'GM' to me. Other than that, I like it. Looks upscale and looking forward to see how the touch screen radio plays out. As long as I can remember, Honda cars (Honda or Acura) always had an indicator in the dash showing what gear you were in and I hope this follows suit. I know its a tiny thing but its one of the earliest memories I have of Honda interiors.
Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 06:20
ctvader wrote:
I'm sloooooowly coming around to the round buttons but it looks a little 'GM' to me. Other than that, I like it. Looks upscale and looking forward to see how the touch screen radio plays out. As long as I can remember, Honda cars (Honda or Acura) always had an indicator in the dash showing what gear you were in and I hope this follows suit. I know its a tiny thing but its one of the earliest memories I have of Honda interiors.

Looks like the indicator is in the center of the LCD display in the speedo.

As far as "Honda" touches, the four rapid beeps and pause (which is "H" in Morse code, IIRC) for the key-in-ignition warning is something I hope Berkman brought back on the Accord; I know the Civic (and maybe CR-V, too, among other Hondas) downgraded to a static tone straight out of a late-80s GM product. (Certainly these touches would have been easier for him to bring back in versus major components, e.g. suspensions.) That may not make so much of a difference with the keyless-access stuff, but still...!

(At least it doesn't sound as sickly as the various warnings in Ford products of late. The old "bong..bong" chime they used for years was just as effective, and sounded..elegant.)
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 08:28
sadlerau wrote:
Nope, don't like it - at all! Too many design elements and none of them seem to integrate at all well, let alone smoothly :(

The steering wheel has those large round buttons, which I'm slowly coming around too, BUT the integration of the oblong buttons just above them grates to my eyes.

It lacks the integrated look of Honda dashes of old - I am really becoming the wrong demographic! Hopefully it will work brilliantly as an ergonomic design - which would be it's one saving grace!

So far I have found the Civic dash to be a 6/10, the Euro Civic dash only a 5/10 and this would be no better - but I'll reserve Accord judgement till I've sat in one [which living in Australia probably means 2014!]

Just my humble opinion.

QED. I agree. The interior "design" looks like dog's dinner.

(And, by the way, sir, I recognize you from BITOG: Another person from my demographic with the strength of character to run 5W-30 weight motor oil in a late-model Honda Accord. LOL.)
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 10:12
Unlike other pics so far this one makes the center stack look a complete dogs dinner. A mess designed by three different people who never spoke to each other. Three distinctly different design elements. I should see some more pics today - hopefully better.
BorisHonda
Profile for BorisHonda
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 10:14
Thank you for dash-ing picture!

I definitely like big speedo and MB type of round screen in it. MB had that for ages...
I personally strongly dislike chrome inserts in dashboard and central stack. When sun hits it at the right spot, you now what happens... Big H I have in my car in the centre of the steering wheel can be nuisance at times...
Still my 2004 Accord dash is mama for these new age glitterati trend. No distractions, pure info. And central stack split in 3 parts... Oh, well. If everything else works as designed these minor things can be ignored... or taped (painted) over.
TheGandalf
Profile for TheGandalf
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 11:12
I'll say it again. I do like this interior pretty much. Including the chrome inserts... I do really like how each function is now clustered together (from bottom to top: Nav contol if so equipped, Climate Conrol, Radio, Information (I-MID, Dashboard).
I do see how ever how some people won't like it, as it looks like different function stacked together, it probably would have been good to "blend" them together, as opposed of giving somewhat the impression that different teams designed each portion, then stacked them up.

The design works for me, but I will certainly respect anyone saying the opposite :).
Husker
Profile for Husker
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 11:14
Tough crowd that hangs out at TOV,,,Very hard to please...

Are the three buttons on the door for Memory Seat Positions?

TheGandalf
Profile for TheGandalf
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 11:16
On a separate note.

I am not familiar with the functionallity of the TPMS button.
I've had a fee cars with TPMS (Pilot, Ody's, 8Gen Accord), but none have/had a button linked to this.

Does anyone know what the button is there for?
talon95
Profile for talon95
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 11:22
Husker wrote:
Tough crowd that hangs out at TOV,,,Very hard to please...

Are the three buttons on the door for Memory Seat Positions?

I would assume so... that's how they look on my 2011 EX-L V6.

And I agree about the tough crowd... dash design looks very promising to me.
talon95
Profile for talon95
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 11:34
TheGandalf wrote:
On a separate note.

I am not familiar with the functionallity of the TPMS button.
I've had a fee cars with TPMS (Pilot, Ody's, 8Gen Accord), but none have/had a button linked to this.

Does anyone know what the button is there for?

I had the same question. I could only speculate:

- since there are 2 or 3 additional dash displays as compared to previous generation, I thought that they might have added a display that shows exact measured tire pressure for all 4 tires. This is available on some luxury cars and even a fairly low trim level of the previous generation Malibu could display that info one tire at a time. Anyway, perhaps a press of that button could display this information on one of the screens on demand. Maybe it could even do it briefly when the car is turned off. That would make it more convenient to check the tires at a gas station or car shop.
- Although I haven't had any problems, I've read that quite a few people have had to have the TPMS reset. As it stands, the process is a bit involved. Maybe this button makes that easier?
Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 12:39
A77 wrote:
Unlike other pics so far this one makes the center stack look a complete dogs dinner. A mess designed by three different people who never spoke to each other. Three distinctly different design elements. I should see some more pics today - hopefully better.

Maybe the only thing they could have done a touch better was to put the climate-control panel in the same plane as the sound-system controls above (HondaLink/touch-screen or regular), and sized the controls on the panel in better proportion to each other; the temperature buttons are way outsized, while slightly wider buttons for the fan up/down function might have been good. However, this pic might not be the best angle or best lighting; @dutchboy, I'm guessing this is a cell-phone pic of a PowerPoint training slide taken of the screen upon which the PowerPoint itself was presented?

As I've said with other questionable design choices on this Accord (few and far between--under the front tires is where most of us have questions), fodder for the MMC! (I keep my cars for five or six years after having put down hefty down-payments, and love them like family, but I'm not averse to trading up to a 2017 Touring with the ED V6, for example, if such a configuration is available and the changes are worth it; thanks to Honda's resale value, I'll get plenty to pay off the 2013 and move up with only a couple more total years of payments.) :-)
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 13:32
maybe the tpms button is some kind of recalibration facility for when people swap rims - a twice annual chore in Canada. Hope so - TPMS otherwise is a total PITA.
TheGandalf
Profile for TheGandalf
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 13:42
A77 wrote:
maybe the tpms button is some kind of recalibration facility for when people swap rims - a twice annual chore in Canada. Hope so - TPMS otherwise is a total PITA.

I hope it's more along the lines of what talon95 is thinking.

I think TPMS reset or recalibration (since it only would be used twice a week), could be handled with the i-MID menus.

Having a hard button makes me think is something that is either a big safety hazard (where you can not waste time toggling through menus, or you need to do on the fly... would reseting TPMS be considered a big hazard), either a function that needs to readily available for frequent use.
Thakid22
Profile for Thakid22
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 14:14
No worries, the gear indicator is still there. It's placed in the digital display under the speedometer. Notice the big "P" on the screen, indicating the photo vehicle is in PARK.

ctvader wrote:

VTECyo!
Profile for VTECyo!
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 14:31
Anyone care to guess the function of the TPMS button? Will it be used to program new sensors (e.g. when switching to winter tires on different wheels)?
VTECyo!
Profile for VTECyo!
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 14:39
VTECyo! wrote:
Anyone care to guess the function of the TPMS button? Will it be used to program new sensors (e.g. when switching to winter tires on different wheels)?

Oops...this was already asked, should have read before opening my mouth.
dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 14:57
There are no TPMS sensors on the 2013 Accord none are needed because the new TPMS system utilizes ABS sensors to infer tire pressure based on vehicle data and wheel rotation speed.The customer must calibrate the system with the button if they fill their own tires.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 15:20
Ah - thanks for that Dutch (my training isnt till tomorrow). I was wondering that - and thought - surely not....I think I referred to this article in an earlier thread...

http://www.niradynamics.se/products/tire_pressure_indicator

I hope it works as promised - the sensor in valve system is horrible in several ways.
TheGandalf
Profile for TheGandalf
Re: Interior (dash) picture [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2012 15:47
dutchboy wrote:
There are no TPMS sensors on the 2013 Accord none are needed because the new TPMS system utilizes ABS sensors to infer tire pressure based on vehicle data and wheel rotation speed.The customer must calibrate the system with the button if they fill their own tires.

Thanks Dutch.
So when I fill in my tires, I press the button to confirm that I am desired pressure. Then the system records the wheel speed info at that point and warns when there are variations?

This means (and I know the pressure sensor approach was pretty flawed), that if I inflate incorrectly a tire, and initialize the system I will get a very bad result? Or is the system already callibrated to expect a specific radial speed for a given tire, and you mainly have to reset it when you change wheels/tires?

Thread Page - [1] 2
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy