[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
More.......................
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
More.......................
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
More.......................
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
More.......................
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: "Paging No Typer, your caddy is ready"...2016 CTS-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The most beautiful thing in the world is...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 10-15 year old Honda or Acura?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: F1 may change engine formula in 2016
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: It looks like Honda is going to go with Android in the future
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660/1000 good news rumors from Japan
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: Racing NSX (silhouette) info.
Join Discussion......
Meets and Events --> Re: EAST COAST HONDA MEET IN JERSEY! 3-29-09
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: Possible engine issue
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Turbocharged engines coming in 2015
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Went from 2006 SI to 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Infiniti Vision GT Concept .... designed in Beijing
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
P54
Profile for P54
Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 10:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Maybe the rumored 1.6L turbo will find its way into stock production CR-Z??



Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced its intent to provide technical support to Team Mugen, operated by M-TEC Co., Ltd., for its competition with the MUGEN CR-Z GT in the GT300 class of SUPER GT Series. Honda will supply a 2.8-liter V6 twin-turbo engine and the racing hybrid system developed exclusively for this Team Mugen racing machine and will start actual test runs.

http://world.honda.com/news/2012/c120704GT300-SUPER-GT/index.html
RocketRon
Profile for RocketRon
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 15:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That is definitely a sports hybrid! Personally, for the production version, I would prefer an 8k RPM 2.8L combined with the racing hybrid system! Actually, that could also work for the NSX 2.0!
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 19:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
More photos here

http://as-web.jp/photonews/info.php?c_id=2&no=29903

http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120704_544650.html

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 21:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
P54 wrote:
Maybe the rumored 1.6L turbo will find its way into stock production CR-Z??


I would prefer it be a NA 1.6L high at least 7k revving stock production. If they decide to put turbo, that's fine with me too, if only to make some people happy and write some nice reviews or something.

Or a KERS Type R.
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 22:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Will this car have the front wheels powered too?

Cant really see much from the photos, but a lot of clutter is up front.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 22:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
FiSH-Chan wrote:

Or a KERS Type R.



I'm with you on this one. Interestingly, Australian Wheels Magazine's tester who has one on long term test says that the electric assist from the IMA motor gives "his" CR-Z a "turbo like" off the mark feel, which he finds ideal in his inner city commute.

I can see a bigger electric motor, better battery and improved regeneration, along with an Earth Dreams petrol motor would go a long way to giving this car performance worthy of an R badge, without a turbo motor. Lord knows it's dynamics are already there - but that is lost in the brouhaha about it's lack of straight line grunt!
garoto628
Profile for garoto628
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 23:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
(K20 w ~200hp @8k or K24 with ~230hp @8k) + (6MT/LSD) = I'm sold
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 23:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto628 wrote:
(K20 w ~200hp @8k or K24 with ~230hp @8k) + (6MT/LSD) = I'm sold



Or perhaps, even one of these?? :)

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_1207_2011_honda_crz/
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 12:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The K24 would have been a logical choice for the CR-Z now that I consider the flappy-paddle auto version. Stripping the hybrid parts shaves 160 pounds, so it makes me wonder what mpg a factory tuned K24 would have gotten.

I thought the 6 speed transmission was essentially the same as the 06 Si has...wonder why they swapped in the 06 Si version?
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 12:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
The K24 would have been a logical choice for the CR-Z now that I consider the flappy-paddle auto version. Stripping the hybrid parts shaves 160 pounds, so it makes me wonder what mpg a factory tuned K24 would have gotten.

I thought the 6 speed transmission was essentially the same as the 06 Si has...wonder why they swapped in the 06 Si version?



Right now, the Civic Si sedan has a curb weight of 2895-2917lb.

The Civic hybrid sedan is between 2853 - 2875. Despite having the extra weight of the hybrid powertrain, the hybrid sedan is still somewhat lighter than the Si sedan. If a CR-Z Si exists (ie. one with K24 + 6MT with no hybrid), I would imagine the same trend would also be observed. The CR-Z is around 2700lb now. Swapping out the hybrid with K24+6MT might actually add 50lb or so. Theoretically then, a CR-Z si might be around 2750lb, which is roughly 150lb lighter than a Civic Si.

The Civic Si is rated at EPA 25/31mpg. With a 150lb weight reduction, the CR-Z with K24 + 6MT might achieve 26/32mpg. Obviously, if it's K24 + AT instead, then the car will be heavier, which might hurt mpg somewhat. Assuming it stays the same, at 26/32mpg, that's still some way below 35/39mpg of a regular CR-Z. A K24+ CVT CR-Z might achieve something like 29/35mpg?
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 13:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The mpg may suffer, but the reputation wouldn't. Of course, it is probably too late to offer an Si model, given the export issues.

It looks like the V6 is the HPD HR28TT...sure sounds good.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 13:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
FiSH-Chan wrote:

Or a KERS Type R.



I'm with you on this one. Interestingly, Australian Wheels Magazine's tester who has one on long term test says that the electric assist from the IMA motor gives "his" CR-Z a "turbo like" off the mark feel, which he finds ideal in his inner city commute.

I can see a bigger electric motor, better battery and improved regeneration, along with an Earth Dreams petrol motor would go a long way to giving this car performance worthy of an R badge, without a turbo motor. Lord knows it's dynamics are already there - but that is lost in the brouhaha about it's lack of straight line grunt!



With the caveat that like most moderns, you can't see out of it so it can't go fast, that is basically true.

It's a really good sort of 'entry-level' sporty car for someone who's never experienced an old-skool Civic or whatever.

Assuming the problem isn't the chassis tuning falls all apart, where's the 'super' version?

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 13:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply



I guess, not dissimilar to the Prisu GT300 that caught fire during testing, this race car would also be RWD.

What are the rules for GT300?

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 14:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Oops. Didn't know the video posted.

Anyway. The Prius that's 'too hot to handle'. :)

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 17:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
The mpg may suffer, but the reputation wouldn't. Of course, it is probably too late to offer an Si model, given the export issues.

It looks like the V6 is the HPD HR28TT...sure sounds good.




That's a pretty cool wide body kit.
musicmanvin
Profile for musicmanvin
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 15:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I want mine with a 1.8L Boosted motor, either supercharged or turbo will work... and at least 7.3krpm making around 200-235HP. Also they can afford to make the car slightly bigger to fit some useable rear seats to put a couple of girls back there. On the road the CR-Z does look absolutely tiny.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 19:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto628 wrote:
(K20 w ~200hp @8k or K24 with ~230hp @8k) + (6MT/LSD) = I'm sold



Seriously.... a CR-Z would do really truly just fine with an R20/MT6. If they could tweak 160 bhp out of that, it'd be a very fine ride and get very good mileage. It'd be FAST too.

OTOH, they could just make a short stroke K18, tune it to 180bhp, MT6, LSD, put in a redline higher than Heaven and still get great mileage. Oh, it would be REALLY FAST too.

Might cost some money... but, hmm..

Naw.... AHM will not do that...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 20:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
musicmanvin wrote:
I want mine with a 1.8L Boosted motor, either supercharged or turbo will work... and at least 7.3krpm making around 200-235HP. Also they can afford to make the car slightly bigger to fit some useable rear seats to put a couple of girls back there. On the road the CR-Z does look absolutely tiny.


I think you want a different car.

NSXforever
Profile for NSXforever
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 14:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Very cool!
CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2012 17:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Very exciting news.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2012 10:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That's pretty badass-lookin'. Too bad Honda couln't be bothered to produce a higher performance CR-Z.
ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2012 12:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyE wrote:
musicmanvin wrote:
I want mine with a 1.8L Boosted motor, either supercharged or turbo will work... and at least 7.3krpm making around 200-235HP. Also they can afford to make the car slightly bigger to fit some useable rear seats to put a couple of girls back there. On the road the CR-Z does look absolutely tiny.


I think you want a different car.





or smaller girls.
CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2012 18:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I've found something I didn't know.


This is the front of the car.




This is the rear of the car.
Yes, it is a rea engine, rear wheel drive car.
(I guess right-hand side is the front/driver.)



Left of the steering wheel, you can see a small screen right above all those switches, which is a rear view camera screen.

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2012 18:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
A rear view camera, in a race car??
CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2012 19:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
You can skip to @12:30 for car's layout in the back.
......................@21:40 for in car video, after that there is nothing.


CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2012 15:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
This might be the electric motor.




Other interesting pictures, at least to me.



Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2012 17:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So it's not really a CRZ, it's just a race car with a body on it. Still cool though. The diffuser looks to be blown a bit by the exhaust.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2012 02:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As big of Honda fan I am, I called this CR-Z lookalike the ultimate hypocrisy from Honda to date.

Everything inside and out has no relevance to the CR-Z name whatsoever. Different suspension, engine, layout and everything in between. Sure Toyota fielded the Prius lookalike race car, but it was more of a statement. The Prius is already king of MPG, what achievement the CR-Z had? A middling performance hybrid in a class of its own.

I don't want the CR-Z to be killed, more than that, I want Honda to repent and spice up the car, if not by adding more power at least keep it around for second generation and go real with it.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2012 13:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'd bet the same applies to HSV-010 GT, more or less.

Dren wrote:
So it's not really a CRZ, it's just a race car with a body on it. Still cool though. The diffuser looks to be blown a bit by the exhaust.

Midi_Amp wrote:
As big of Honda fan I am, I called this CR-Z lookalike the ultimate hypocrisy from Honda to date.

Everything inside and out has no relevance to the CR-Z name whatsoever. Different suspension, engine, layout and everything in between. Sure Toyota fielded the Prius lookalike race car, but it was more of a statement. The Prius is already king of MPG, what achievement the CR-Z had? A middling performance hybrid in a class of its own.

I don't want the CR-Z to be killed, more than that, I want Honda to repent and spice up the car, if not by adding more power at least keep it around for second generation and go real with it.


Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Honda CR-Z with 2.8L V6 twin turbo    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2012 13:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The HSV-010 was a stillbirth, but for all its intent and purpose, it's supposed to be a pedigree sports car in the form of ASCC or NSX (*shudder*). Even if HSV is a dream project, it has no real life association like the ARX race cars, so for me the car is safe from critique. For the CR-Z however, it's based from a production car and uses a body shell of said car, the connection is there, but the fact that the CR-Z is just... Okay... And the race version is every Honda fan wet dream came true, it is just insulting.
 
Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0