[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
More.......................
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Honda's Roadgoing Moto GP Replica Bike Unveiled
2015 Acura TLX Earns 2014 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+
Honda and Acura release October sales results
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new AT(8-10 gears)
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX is benchmarked against
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Consumer Reports full review
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad news for Honda!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports: CR-V Touring
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda starts first Wind Farm by an automaker in Brazil
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660/1000 good news rumors from Japan
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Dont test drive a 2015 CRV!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 700 HP and nowhere to go because of Toronto traffic
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline rendering from who knows where
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - McLaren-Honda Abu Dhabi test report
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D first drive: Toyota Mirai (hydrogen FCEV)
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2016 Civic Rumors
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda Formula Lites
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Cadillac's boss is cocky but truthful.
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Spied on the Street! 2014 Acura RLX? TLX? > > Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature!

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author

CrystalFiveMT
Profile for CrystalFiveMT
Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 11:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Anyone else think Acura should eschew the tiring silly RLX, TSX, MDX, etc naming system? I would think if Acura wants to re-invent itself to be more competitive, it should include a better, more distinguishing naming system.
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 12:58
CrystalFiveMT wrote:
Anyone else think Acura should eschew the tiring silly RLX, TSX, MDX, etc naming system? I would think if Acura wants to re-invent itself to be more competitive, it should include a better, more distinguishing naming system.

Yea! +1

Does anyone at Acura understand the word "Legend"?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 13:10
Legendx?

They should name the cars after Asterix characters.

BalIermd
Profile for BalIermd
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 15:21
CrystalFiveMT wrote:

I'm with you on this one... I can see this naming system working for cars like the NSX or RSX, but for the sedans - NO!!!! I think maybe numbers could be included in the naming system - LR 350 and LR-H 450, TR 350, IR 200, etc. RLX, TLX, ILX it's too confusing for everyday consumers to tell which is which, like Lincoln and the MKZ, MKX, MKS, etc. Who really knows which is the mid-sized crossover from the mid-sized entry-level sedan except hardcore Lincoln fans? And just how many are those out there?
CJT
Profile for CJT
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 17:38
Give it time, at least it does make some sense. Soon all sedans will end with "LX" and SUV/Crossovers will end with "DX". Plus with the NSX coming back it should help to round out the model names and make the "X" more associated and identifiable with Acura.

http://acuraconnected.com/2012/05/15/acura-naming-conventions/

Besides, I think 3 letters are more recognizable than just 1 or 2 letters.

What stands out more: 320i? C230? IS250? A4? TLX?
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 21:31
CJT wrote:

I like how you can tell the engine displacement of the Lexus just by looking at the name of the car.
Zoopa
Profile for Zoopa
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 22:02
This is a little racy, but since someone else started the X letter names for Acura, I thought I'd give it a shot:

RLX Really Like SeX
TLX Too Little Sex
TSX Too SeXy
ILX I Love SeX
MDX More Deep SeX
RDX Really Dig SeX
NSX Not enough SeX

Am I missing any X letter Acuras?

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 22:30
Zoopa wrote:
This is a little racy, but since someone else started the X letter names for Acura, I thought I'd give it a shot:

RLX Really Like SeX
TLX Too Little Sex
TSX Too SeXy
ILX I Love SeX
MDX More Deep SeX
RDX Really Dig SeX
NSX Not enough SeX

Dude, you need help............8-I
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2012 22:35
CrystalFiveMT wrote:

I have been saying that there was a buz inside Acura that there would be a "Legend" package when the new RL was released.......I am still hoping that will be in there with the Tech pkg and others......My understanding is it was supposed to be 2 or 3 colors, blacked out grill and other features, but inside was supposed to be really cool with a dressed up seating area and a cooler lighting system on the dash, larger wheels and other touches.......

Lets hope Acura will at least do something like that.........I think people would RUN back to Acura.........
RNeekChic
Profile for RNeekChic
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 01:06
Yes you are missing the ZDX lol
Zoopa
Profile for Zoopa
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 02:27
RNeekChic wrote:

ZDX...hmm. You stumped me.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 14:33
The nomenclature is actually beneficial to Acura as a brand as using them gives more attention to the brand instead of focusing on a specific model. In the end it's pure marketing that worked for the Germans for years!

~Patrick
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 14:51
CivicB18 wrote:
The nomenclature is actually beneficial to Acura as a brand as using them gives more attention to the brand instead of focusing on a specific model. In the end it's pure marketing that worked for the Germans for years!

~Patrick

The Legend became it's own brand almost, people started associating the Acura brand with the Legend car........rather then the Legend being an Acura........
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 15:53
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
CJT wrote:

I like how you can tell the engine displacement of the Lexus just by looking at the name of the car.

Except their hybrid models!
Wester
Profile for Wester
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 17:45
ZDX - Zero Daily Sex
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 18:16
HONDA AFVM wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:

~Patrick

The Legend became it's own brand almost, people started associating the Acura brand with the Legend car........rather then the Legend being an Acura........

Still a dumb decision in my opinion. Market research at the finest level I guess. I still find it difficult to believe that someone knew what "The Legend" was, and had zero clue it was an Acura.

Yet, people refer to the Honda Civic as The Civic, and the Honda Accord as the Accord...

Do you refer to the Apple iPod or the iPod?

If I want a Big Mac, do I stand confused at the Burger King counter and starve to death because I can't locate one? If someone truly did not associate The Legend to Acura, then could there possibly have been a better way to connect them besides throwing out forgettable letter combos?

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2012 21:20
DCR wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:

~Patrick

Still a dumb decision in my opinion. Market research at the finest level I guess. I still find it difficult to believe that someone knew what "The Legend" was, and had zero clue it was an Acura.

Yet, people refer to the Honda Civic as The Civic, and the Honda Accord as the Accord...

If I want a Big Mac, do I stand confused at the Burger King counter and starve to death because I can't locate one? If someone truly did not associate The Legend to Acura, then could there possibly have been a better way to connect them besides throwing out forgettable letter combos?

I read that on here DCR.........But I remember back in the day we had a "Legend" party when my friends dad bought his Legend 6 speed coupe, not an Acura party......When we hung at his house, his dad ALWAYS said, lets take the "LEGEND", not the Acura......And I do say iPod, not Apple........I say "MAC" or iPhone not Apple......but I do refer to people as Apple's, or "you one of those apple people" I am a Droid man my self.......

So when all my friends went to the house with the Legends, we NEVER said we are going to see the Acura, it was always to see the "LEGEND" and this guy had BMW's, 911's and Pasta rockets, NEVER had a party for those cars, but for some reason, he had a party for both Legends............?????? The guy LOVED the cars......

He owned a Limo company, he was one of the 1st to buy the WIDE body limos back in the 80's, if you are old enough to remember those........
rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 12:59
HONDA AFVM wrote:
DCR wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:

~Patrick

I read that on here DCR.........But I remember back in the day we had a "Legend" party when my friends dad bought his Legend 6 speed coupe, not an Acura party......When we hung at his house, his dad ALWAYS said, lets take the "LEGEND", not the Acura......And I do say iPod, not Apple........I say "MAC" or iPhone not Apple......but I do refer to people as Apple's, or "you one of those apple people" I am a Droid man my self.......

So when all my friends went to the house with the Legends, we NEVER said we are going to see the Acura, it was always to see the "LEGEND" and this guy had BMW's, 911's and Pasta rockets, NEVER had a party for those cars, but for some reason, he had a party for both Legends............?????? The guy LOVED the cars......

He owned a Limo company, he was one of the 1st to buy the WIDE body limos back in the 80's, if you are old enough to remember those........

My FIL had a Legend First generation too. He let me drive it. Still married to his daughter BTW. Just the best car I had ever driven up until that point. Great for driving around Miami......White with tan lower half, gold tinted windows, tan leather interior. Everything just right except the clunky auto box.

Even though it was the Legend, nobody forgot it was the Legend by Acura. In exactly the same way people say "I have a three series". We all know its a BMW.

That's what Acura lost when they pulled the Legend name.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 13:09
Well, the Acura Muppet has written an informative little piece on the Acura naming conventions.

Read the happy little tale, and then read the comments.

http://acuraconnected.com/2012/05/15/acura-naming-conventions/#comments
Great_Tubimi
Profile for Great_Tubimi
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 19:23
Zoopa wrote:
RNeekChic wrote:

Zooey Deschanel seX?
Zipcar Date seX?
Zesty Dolphin sex?

saitamahonda
Profile for saitamahonda
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 20:28
has anyone else noticed that the RLX acronym is used by Ralph Lauren's golf/sport clothing line?

http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=11597153

The clothing line actually looks pretty nice. I wonder if whoever came up with the RLX name knew about this? It seems to fit the intelligent, upper-class, sporty image Acura is after..
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2012 22:03
saitamahonda wrote:
has anyone else noticed that the RLX acronym is used by Ralph Lauren's golf/sport clothing line?

http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=11597153

The clothing line actually looks pretty nice. I wonder if whoever came up with the RLX name knew about this? It seems to fit the intelligent, upper-class, sporty image Acura is after..

Good find, I wonder if this slipped through the cracks?
ams23
Profile for ams23
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 01:48
The change in nomenclature for Acura starting in the mid-1990's has not paid off in increasing awareness for the brand. Acura spent years and years building up a good name and a good following for cars such as Legend, Integra, etc. only to throw much of that good will away by moving to alpha-numeric (and eventually alpha-non-numeric) naming conventions. Interestingly enough, this name change coincided with the introduction of new Acura cars that were in some cases even softer and less sporty than their predecessors.

Like it or not, Acura may feel it is at the point of no return with the alpha-non-numeric system. It is too bad, because if Acura could introduce a modernized Legend/Integra/etc. in the name and spirit of the older cars, then they would surely have a huge success on their hands.

As a compromise, it would be neat to see Acura feature a codename on each car. For instance:

"RLX" (stamped in the upper right back corner), "LEGEND" (stamped across the back)
"TLX" (stamped in the upper right back corner), "VIGOR" (stamped across the back)
etc.

NSXforever
Profile for NSXforever
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 14:19
Changing names often also confuses consumers. There is no rhyme or reason for the names and their reason to drop Legend etc for these random letters makes little sense today since they didn't elevate the brand.

its amazing to think they don't understand how utterly important names are, marketing 101 for goodness sakes.

James Robinson
Profile for James Robinson
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 16:40
"Marketing 101" depends one where you want to emphasize your brand. Acura, like other premium car brands, wanted to link their models in their customers' minds to one brand name: Acura. Also, if you look at TL sales at their peak to its predecessor, the Vigor, you can see TL sales were much stronger, so it was a successful move in that case. Cadillac took a similar approach, replacing venerable names like El Dorado and Coupe Deville with CTS and XTS. Last time I checked, Cadillac was doing okay.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 16:56
Great_Tubimi wrote:
Zoopa wrote:
RNeekChic wrote:

Zooey Deschanel seX?
Zipcar Date seX?
Zesty Dolphin sex?

Zoo Duck seX
MuGen7Modulo
Profile for MuGen7Modulo
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 18:42
Try this:

Zero Desire seX (no even some LED tails, and TL has it since '04)
ams23
Profile for ams23
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 19:38
James Robinson wrote:
"Marketing 101" depends one where you want to emphasize your brand. Acura, like other premium car brands, wanted to link their models in their customers' minds to one brand name: Acura.

Yes, the goal in going to alpha-numeric nomenclature was to achieve more respect/appreciation/loyalty towards the "brand" Acura rather than towards the "car" Legend/Integra/etc. But this didn't really work out too well. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc. still have more brand awareness. What Honda/Acura didn't realize is that owners of Legend/Integra/etc. have tremendous respect/appreciation/loyalty towards not just their car but also towards their brand. If the Legend/Integra/etc. were still available today, modernized, and designed in the same spirit as the older cars, then there would be a huge number of repeat Acura buyers ready to buy the newer generation of cars that they grew up enjoying so much.

Also, if you look at TL sales at their peak to its predecessor, the Vigor, you can see TL sales were much stronger, so it was a successful move in that case.

Looking at US sales:

From 1987-1990, the Legend (Gen1) averaged 60.9k units sold per year. From 1991-1994, the Legend (Gen2) averaged 47.5k units sold per year, and the Vigor averaged 10.9k units sold per year, for a total of 58.4k units sold per year.

From 1996-1998, the RL (Gen1) averaged 15.6k units sold per year, and the TL (Gen1) averaged 26.6k units sold per year, for a total of 42.2k units sold per year.

So the move from Legend/Vigor to RL/TL was actually a big failure at the time, in terms of both overall sales volume and in terms of reduced sportiness.

Now, let's look at Integra vs. RSX. From 1994-2000, the Integra (Gen3) averaged 43.0k units sold per year. From 2002-2006, the RSX averaged 22.8k units sold per year. So the move from Integra to RSX was not a success in terms of sales volume.

Starting in 1999, the TL was completely redesigned. Not surprisingly, sales were much improved for the TL. From 1999-2003, the TL (Gen2) averaged 62.1k units sold per year, and the RL (Gen1) averaged 11.0k units sold per year.

Starting in 2004, the TL was once again completely redesigned, and sales improved even further. From 2004-2008, the TL (Gen3) averaged 66.6k units sold per year, the RL (Gen1 in 2004, Gen2 starting in 2005) averaged 9.7k units sold per year, and the TSX (Gen1) averaged 33.7k units sold per year.

From 2009-2010, the TL (Gen4) averaged 33.8k units sold per year, the RL (Gen2) averaged 2.0k units sold per year, and the TSX (Gen2) averaged 30.4k units sold per year.

Note that in the last three or four years, since Acura has switched to the gaudy power plenum grille design, sales volume for TL, RL, and MDX have trended significantly downward. Of course, part of that downward trend is the souring economy, but the controversial styling surely didn't help either. The TSX, on the other hand, has had less pronounced downward trend in sales volume over the last few years, and it also happens to have the best executed and least offensive implementation of the power plenum grille design (in my opinion). So perhaps looks really do matter! I really was hoping that Acura would significantly redesign the grille to move away from such a pronounced power plenum design, but it looks like that will not be the case for RLX/ILX/TLX/etc.

ams23
Profile for ams23
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 20:54
I have to admit that the plenum grille design on the NSX concept looks nice: http://www.insideline.com/car-pictures/fe_5071230.html . The plenum top strip doesn't look too fat or overpowering.

It would be interesting to see how the plenum top strip would look when body-colored.

On a side note, did anyone notice that the Honda NSX Concept was shown with a black-colored plenum top strip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q0nGfYlHNcA#!
Mike Freitas
Profile for Mike Freitas
Re: Enough of the _ _ X nomenclature! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2012 21:38
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Zoopa wrote:

RLX Really Like SeX
TLX Too Little Sex
TSX Too SeXy
ILX I Love SeX
MDX More Deep SeX
RDX Really Dig SeX
NSX Not enough SeX

Dude, you need help............8-I

I can think of one other Acura (sorry Isuzu re-badge), the Acura SLX. The suv that was used prior to the MDX. What a POS, glad they wised up and built a 'true' Honda product.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0