[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Today's Reading Links --> Re: CR-Z Supercharger released.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota plots ‘society-changing’ fuel-cell car for the masses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: U. S, auto sales in bubble territory?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hows the public responding to TLX in the US?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: bland, dull and looks already old
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Slow or slowest or normal?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord LX Update
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Is this the first look at the 2013 Civic? > > Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Koya76
Profile for Koya76
Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 18:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/comparison-test-compact-cars
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 21:26
At least it's not last! =D
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 22:09
I don't base my car buying decisions on reviews such as these, but I do find them interesting to read. I must say that I stopped reading when I saw the Sentra placed ahead of the Civic.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 22:37
according2kev wrote:
I must say that I stopped reading when I saw the Sentra placed ahead of the Civic.

Thanks that saved me a lot of time.
The_SiGuy
Profile for The_SiGuy
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2012 00:02
according2kev wrote:
I don't base my car buying decisions on reviews such as these, but I do find them interesting to read. I must say that I stopped reading when I saw the Sentra placed ahead of the Civic.

Seriously. They placed the Cruze as first place. This review is all sorts of wrong. lol.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2012 00:24
If you read some of the comments later there's a lot of incredulity/disagreement about the Sentras placing. Also acknowledgement that the regular 1.8 Cruze is a POS. i have driven both the 1.4 turbo (with a manual) and a 1.8 (the latter for more than 2 months). The turbo is actually a nice car - lots of torque, and if this report is to be believed (?) better economy than the woeful 1.8. The test mentions the uncomfortable seat in the Cruze and this for me above all else is a deal breaker. if the seat causes pain - and the Cruze`s does for me, then the rest is irrelevant. Both the mazda and Ford have limited rear space and poor visibility. The Elantra even worse. those who commented that the Elantra handles better than the Civic are just plain wrong - i have driven both on a track - and the Elantra gets caught out by bumps mid corner. The Jetta issues are well documented. The Corolla is just horrible - everyone agrees. The Cruze has other problems - poor rear legroom and instruments that are invisible if the sun is overhead.

If the Civic had a nice designed interior, with nicer materials it would do much better. Hopefully 2013 sees this fixed, together with some further noise improvement - but really it is already much quieter than the old Civic so I don`t know why there are so many complaints. What would i have put first here - tough - I wuldn`t want any as I`d want a manual. Would probably be the Focus, as I don`t care much about rear space. But look how expensive it is - not worth it.

Meanwhile we have an advertised extra $500 off this weekend - making $2000 in all for cash....Ex manuals are under $20,000 - while this Focus is nearing $30,000.
integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2012 11:15
I drive a lot of rental cars, so I've driven a Cruze 1.4 and it was a nice car. Perhaps not first as I'd list them. I've also driven a Sentra and my pick would be to put it at 9th place. Terrible. Havent driven them all, but Corolla would probably be 8th.

However, the point that keeps coming to mind is: The Civic used to always be at 1 or 2 in placings. It just proves that Honda has been following Toyota to the lowest common denominator of car building - which is pathetic. But THIS is what you get, folks... the result of John Mendels influence in Am Honda. He's sucking the place dry, making Fords (like he did when he was in the failed years of Ford), will get his big bonuses for stripping money out of the cars, and then will retire fat and happy while Honda languishes in the mud. What a legacy to be proud of, John !
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2012 12:31
I don't know man, but from what I've seen/read, since the 7th gen, the Civic has been receiving mixed reviews. Sometimes (including this newest gen), it would be in one of the top spots, sometimes, it's more near at the bottom. For instance, I believe MT or R&T placed the 9th gen civic in 2nd place in a comparo...but the last gen si, has been placed in the bottom place on a few occasions.
integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-23-2012 13:47
link http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/comparison-test-compact-cars
Inebriated Snake
Profile for Inebriated Snake
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 05:49
A77 wrote:
If you read some of the comments later there's a lot of incredulity/disagreement about the Sentras placing. Also acknowledgement that the regular 1.8 Cruze is a POS. i have driven both the 1.4 turbo (with a manual) and a 1.8 (the latter for more than 2 months). The turbo is actually a nice car - lots of torque, and if this report is to be believed (?) better economy than the woeful 1.8. The test mentions the uncomfortable seat in the Cruze and this for me above all else is a deal breaker. if the seat causes pain - and the Cruze`s does for me, then the rest is irrelevant. Both the mazda and Ford have limited rear space and poor visibility. The Elantra even worse. those who commented that the Elantra handles better than the Civic are just plain wrong - i have driven both on a track - and the Elantra gets caught out by bumps mid corner. The Jetta issues are well documented. The Corolla is just horrible - everyone agrees. The Cruze has other problems - poor rear legroom and instruments that are invisible if the sun is overhead.

If the Civic had a nice designed interior, with nicer materials it would do much better. Hopefully 2013 sees this fixed, together with some further noise improvement - but really it is already much quieter than the old Civic so I don`t know why there are so many complaints. What would i have put first here - tough - I wuldn`t want any as I`d want a manual. Would probably be the Focus, as I don`t care much about rear space. But look how expensive it is - not worth it.

Meanwhile we have an advertised extra $500 off this weekend - making $2000 in all for cash....Ex manuals are under $20,000 - while this Focus is nearing $30,000.

If your looking at a manual. The Focus its cheaper depending on the content you want. I bought a loaded manual SE(no myFord Touch:)) with everything but leather(you can get heated seats w/o leather). It stickered for about 22K, 20,070 with discounts(750rebate,Costco pricing), but with interior content comparable to an EX-L w/nav and little more exterior options. The 30,000 number is only the ceiling.

Use the makers build and price, then shop for rebates and club/job discounts.
The_SiGuy
Profile for The_SiGuy
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 10:55
Hondarulez wrote:
I don't know man, but from what I've seen/read, since the 7th gen, the Civic has been receiving mixed reviews. Sometimes (including this newest gen), it would be in one of the top spots, sometimes, it's more near at the bottom. For instance, I believe MT or R&T placed the 9th gen civic in 2nd place in a comparo...but the last gen si, has been placed in the bottom place on a few occasions.

Comparisons of the Si and Non-Si versions are two completely different things. The cars that the Si are being compared to are not of the same level of performance. Almost all are turbocharged that have tons more power. So without a doubt the Si will be rated lower b/c those comparison are more about the performance capabilities. Comparisons for the Non-Si civics are going to be fair better b/c all the other cars in these class are closer in their offerings of output so their review is not focused solely on performance, it's focused more on how well rounded the vehicle is.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 12:25
That's right. Though I've seen some comparion tests where regular 7g and 8g Civic didn't do so well too.

If the competitors haven't improved by that much, then I think the changes made to the 9g Civic would have been sufficient. But because nearly every competitor has improved significantly, it makes the improvements done in the 9g really subtle. This IMO definitely plays a big part in terms of rankings in some reports.
The_SiGuy
Profile for The_SiGuy
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 15:34
Hondarulez wrote:
That's right. Though I've seen some comparion tests where regular 7g and 8g Civic didn't do so well too.

If the competitors haven't improved by that much, then I think the changes made to the 9g Civic would have been sufficient. But because nearly every competitor has improved significantly, it makes the improvements done in the 9g really subtle. This IMO definitely plays a big part in terms of rankings in some reports.

Unfortunately the cost cutting outweigh the "improvements" of the 9g civic IMO which is why I'm not even slightly interested in the 9g civic until they address these issues.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 17:35
It would definitely have been better if the cost cutting wasn't as drastic. Hopefully the facelifted model has resolved these issues.
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: Yikes - Civic finishes second to last in 9-car comparison test [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-24-2012 13:33
FiSH-Chan wrote:
according2kev wrote:
I must say that I stopped reading when I saw the Sentra placed ahead of the Civic.

Thanks that saved me a lot of time.

thanks.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0