[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Launch Package
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
RocketRon
Profile for RocketRon
Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 16:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The Honda HSV-010 is currently competing in the GT500 series. It's the only non-production car in the series.

This car could have been the current NSX, equipped with a 10 000 RPM 3.4L NA V8, it would compete with Ferrari's 458. Great solution until the arrival of the NSX 2.0!

But alas, Honda did not make available:

"Had Honda decided to continue production of the Honda/Acura NSX, the HSV-010 GT would have been the next-generation model.  However, the NSX was cancelled by Honda in an effort by the company to focus on mass-produced models instead of those manufactured in limited numbers."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110011924085/honda-hsv-010-gt-officially-unleashed-initial-specs-announced

Is this stricly mass production strategy for real? I've downgraded my performance expectations for the NSX 2.0 until further notice.

Honda makes great reliable consumer cars so I could understand this new focus, but still...
Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 16:32
mass-produced models like cr-z, crosstour, zdx ... :D
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 17:07
blah blah blah lehman shock blah blah blah
cforez
Profile for cforez
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 18:14
Simple, no one was really going to buy a Honda at the price of a Lexus LF-A ($375k), just like how no one is buying LF-As.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 18:39
Two things.

The HSV was NEVER going to have the race motor it uses in SuperGT as a road engine. It was to have a V10, and rumour had it, it would have a version of the V8 that was going to be used in the Legend, never a race motor that reved to 10,000rpm.

Secondly it's price was never announced so saying it was going to cost as much as a Lexus LF-A is that, simply speculation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Chocs
Profile for Chocs
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 19:26
How many purists would rage over the change to front engine?

Besides, the NSX is and was a game changer. The original HSV-010 (V10) was just another GTR.

I'd love to see one in production form based on the race car, but not as a NSX.
CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 19:30
sadlerau wrote:
Two things.

The HSV was NEVER going to have the race motor it uses in SuperGT as a road engine. It was to have a V10, and rumour had it, it would have a version of the V8 that was going to be used in the Legend, never a race motor that reved to 10,000rpm.

Secondly it's price was never announced so saying it was going to cost as much as a Lexus LF-A is that, simply speculation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh, I'm sure they could have detuned it down to @9,xxxrpm for street legal.
Wasn't it surposed to do as good as V6's mpg because of VCM?
Wasn't the Legendo surposed to be a V8 RWD sedan?
Oh well, thinkgs happen.

CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 19:38
"supposed to be", not "aurposed to be". I can't spell.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 19:45
CR-V9 wrote:
"supposed to be", not "aurposed to be". I can't spell.

You are right about that!
ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 19:58
The production version would've looked as much like the HSV-010 as this looks like a production CRZ:

They made the right choice in killing it.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 20:47
Thank the Greenies!
ClementZ
Profile for ClementZ
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 22:42
No.
That 10K RPM 3.4L V8 is a racing engine, that basically needs to be rebuilt after every race or two.
That couldn't work for a road car.
To solve that problem, Honda was apparently developing a 5.0 L V10.
But then the financial crisis struck, so Honda had to scrap everything to save itself. This (I think) also caused the lackluster 9th gen Civic design.
Furthermore, even if Honda went through with it, it couldn't have been called an NSX; it was too different.
Front mid engine, AWD? If anything, this looked to be a copycat of the LF-A, or at the very least, a grand tourer.
I personally think, if Honda was in a better financial situation, they should have produced both cars.
The HSV, renamed the HSX, as something of a grand tourer (the coupe Acura so desperately needs), to compete against the Vantage or something, and the NSX as their hypercar.
That would've really put Acura into Tier 1 luxury.
But alas, Honda hasn't the money or the balls to go through with something as ludicrous as that.
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 23:17
ClementZ wrote:
I personally think, if Honda was in a better financial situation, they should have produced both cars.
The HSV, renamed the HSX, as something of a grand tourer (the coupe Acura so desperately needs), to compete against the Vantage or something, and the NSX as their hypercar.

Ah! Now I understand that you were being sarcastic when you said Acura doesn't need a performance car. Because they do. They need an injection of excitement and a dejection of excrement.
nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 23:29
Didn't Super GT500 change the rules to ban mid-engine vehicles, hence their decision to design a front-engined HSV? Hopefully the NSX2 will be allowed as an AWD entry.
nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2012 23:35
By AWD, I meant the powertrain is a new kind that is built across the front motors and hybrid-mid-engine powering the rear.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 00:39
nightflow wrote:
Didn't Super GT500 change the rules to ban mid-engine vehicles, hence their decision to design a front-engined HSV? Hopefully the NSX2 will be allowed as an AWD entry.

They probably can get around it by saying there is 2 motors up front on the NSX and one big one at the back. lol Does the rules say limit to how many engines ?
CafeDelMar90
Profile for CafeDelMar90
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 03:33
cforez wrote:
Simple, no one was really going to buy a Honda at the price of a Lexus LF-A ($375k), just like how no one is buying LF-As.

no one is buying LFas?? i think the last time i checked all of the 500 initial LFas were sold. But do correct me if Im wrong. cant help but be envious off Toyota for bringing out a car like. The killer engine note still haunts me to this day :)
Chocs
Profile for Chocs
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 04:26
Just thought this was relevant:

Listen to that fly-by in the beginning..
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 07:47
ciwai08 wrote:
The production version would've looked as much like the HSV-010 as this looks like a production CRZ:

They made the right choice in killing it.

lol - so true....
cforez
Profile for cforez
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 09:47
CafeDelMar90 wrote:
cforez wrote:

no one is buying LFas?? i think the last time i checked all of the 500 initial LFas were sold. But do correct me if Im wrong. cant help but be envious off Toyota for bringing out a car like. The killer engine note still haunts me to this day :)

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1060460_2012-lexus-lfa-a-lost-decade-a-sales-dud
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 10:08

Thanks for the link. I also though the LFA sold out. Perhaps Honda made the right decision here, (actually, too soon to know for now) well at least the HSV made it to the race track where we can watch it.
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 11:51
ClementZ wrote:

Maybe not a Vantage competitor, but it would be nice to see it slot somewhere in the lineup for the much-needed coupe. Especially if Toyota is actually going to produce their LF-LC coupe, as rumored.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2012 22:49
RocketRon wrote:
The Honda HSV-010 is currently competing in the GT500 series. It's the only non-production car in the series.

This car could have been the current NSX, equipped with a 10 000 RPM 3.4L NA V8, it would compete with Ferrari's 458. Great solution until the arrival of the NSX 2.0!

And you believe the HSV-010 is just the aborted road car with a diff. engine?
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 02:06
DrWhiner wrote:

Hell yeah, they took them right off the pre-production line! Had to rip out the V10 first of course. :) :) LOL.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 03:44
sadlerau wrote:
Hell yeah, they took them right off the pre-production line! Had to rip out the V10 first of course. :) :) LOL.

Yeah, made sense to build pre-production line. Also they didn't rip out the V10 they just took out 2 cylinders and filled the holes with styrofoam and crunched waste paper lying around the office.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 09:27
FiSH-Chan wrote:

Thanks for the link. I also though the LFA sold out. Perhaps Honda made the right decision here, (actually, too soon to know for now) well at least the HSV made it to the race track where we can watch it.

I remember they tried to set that impression early on but it quickly became clear that the LFA was tanking, and I fully expected it to tank. Compared to the Italian competitors and even the German ones, the LFA's styling is juvenile, clumsy, and unrefined. The LFA is ridiculously overpriced and the performance is below par. The V10 sounds cool. I'll give it that. This car would struggle to sell at $100k. But at $400k? Get real.
Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 13:36
Jeff wrote:
Compared to the Italian competitors and even the German ones, the LFA's styling is juvenile, clumsy, and unrefined.

Glad I'm not the only one. It looked to me like they took a generic sports car shape, then added a bunch of aftermarket bling... much the same way someone might add wings, scoops, and ground effects to an older Accord.

To be fair, I see a bit of that in the NSX concept, too. I don't think it's quite as blatant, though.
RocketRon
Profile for RocketRon
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 15:07
DrWhiner wrote:
RocketRon wrote:

What was intriguing me was the possibility of an Honda car sounding like a formula car. In Italy, when people see a 458 driving by, they applaud. I would do the same for a Honda equipped with an HR10EG engine.

Considering the unstable economy, Honda probably decidided to leave the exotic market to manufacturers focusing on such vehicles. Financially, it makes sense and that's great for the individuals who work for Honda and/or own their shares.

But I would still like to know if it was possible for Honda to equip a production car with the HR10EG engine. That engine was already detuned down from 600 HP to 500HP in order to meet GT500 rules. Perhaps Honda could have limited the revs to 9K RPM on the production version?

Engine: HR10EG
Configuration: Liquid-cooled, naturally aspirated, longitudinal V8
V angle: 90
Valve train: Gear-driven DOHC: 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder
Displacement (cm3): 3,397
Bore x stroke (mm): 93.0 x 62.5
Compression ratio: (Not disclosed)
Throttle control system: Mechanical
Fuel supply system: Programmed fuel injection system (Honda PGM-FI)
Fuel: Lead-free premium gasoline
Lubrication: Dry sump

Let's not forget that in the past, Honda was using a modified C32B taken from the production NSX for the GT500 series:

"Prior to rule changes beginning in the 2003 season, the Super GT/GT500 NSX was powered by a specially modified version of the C32B V6 engine. Using a stroker crankshaft from Toda Racing, the naturally aspirated engine displaced 3.5 liters and produced nearly 500 bhp. Beginning in 2003, Honda substituted a highly modified C30A, augmented by a turbocharger, which also produces up to 500 bhp."

"The NSX continued to be used as the works Honda car in the GT500 class, even though it was no longer in production, until it was replaced in 2010 with the HSV-010."

I know, this is the past. But the sounds produced by that HSV-010...are worth remembering.

Can you only imagine an NSX 2.0 equipped this HR10EG Nippon formula engine combined with the new IMA? 

Back to reality...What should we expect for the NSX 2.0 powertrain in regards to the combustion engine? After watching the demo clip, it looks like a V6?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 19:33
Just for you RocketRon, enjoy :)

http://www.honda.co.jp/SuperGT/spcontents2012/hsv-010gt/

All we need is an English translation, but the pictures sure are pretty.
WingZ
Profile for WingZ
Re: Why did Honda skip an NSX generation?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-22-2012 20:04
sadlerau wrote:
Two things.

You guys do know that the HSV is the racing version of the ASCC that so many Honda people hated right??

It was fully developed and then ITO pulled the plug on Fuqui's baby.

The HSC was technically the the next gen NSX that was aborted because in 03 when they sent the prototype out it would've had "only" 350+ hp. The hp wars were out with earnest and Fuqui decided that Honda could compete with a big front engine car.

The ASCC was met with quite a bit of hostility from Honda purists as mag's were calling it the next NSX. Honda soldered on with it though and there is a clip of it on the Ring doing testing. Awesome sound and a shame it was aborted.

Since the NSX could no longer qualify for racing Honda pulled a trick exception saying the ASCC was "production ready" but not going into production. They changed the name to HSV010 and the requirement in the racing series was a V8 so that's what it got.

The V10 ASCC was supposed to be around $150k and it was believed that it wouldn't sell at that price but Ito just didn't want the car as he called the LFA a "dinosaur" when Toyota said "cyke" and showed up at the Tokyo auto show with it while he showed up with the CRZ LOL

What's funny is the V6 hybrid NSX is supposed to be between $120-130k. That seems high to me since it's sharing so much of it's tech but since no specs are really known besides V6 and E SHAWD just have to wait and see.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0