[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda/Acura New Product Plans
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic HF review
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Author
  Post New Thread
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2011 20:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
2012 Honda Civic EX-L Navi Sedan, an AutoWeek Drivers Log Car Review

After driving this 2012 Honda Civic EX-L, I'm beginning to understand why Honda delayed the car. It should have delayed it longer, because it's not up to the level of its competitors any longer.

Was there anything I did like? The brakes

All would be forgiven if the car still felt as if it was providing that same mechanical-direct link among driver and machine and road. But instead, I feel a certain amount dullness in the chassis overall.

Perhaps this what owners want in the top-trim Civic, but I suspect Honda might have grown a little complacent with the regularly returning customers.

Yawn.

The brakes were very well mannered.

I came away from an overnight with the 2012 Honda Civic EX-L feeling there was nothing particularly noteworthy about his car. That's not to say that it's a bad vehicle, because it's not. But it doesn't inspire any sort of enthusiasm.

And the brakes are strong.

Hastily edited test drivers' log from the AutoWeek folks. The reader comments below aren't very friendly, and I don't mean to AutoWeek.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2011 22:37
So, were these 5 Honda enthusiasts? I'm confused...because they sound exactly like the people here who aren't falling for the 9th Gen "attempt".

As far as the drive, it was fine. The Civic held expressway speeds well and there is decent power underhood. And the brakes are strong. If you're looking for basic transportation, I guess this would do. But for about the same money and staying in this segment, you could get into the Elantra or a Chevrolet Cruze and have more fun.

Fun? That dreaded word.

For now, the EX will have to eat this comment below, but when the 2012 Si gets compared against the pack...just wait.

Considering the favorable history of this car and the amount of competition brought by many models this year, I would have thought this new Civic would possess some qualities that separated it from the pack. However, I see no such qualities other than a lighting effect and a separate digital screen that served no significant purpose. It's all cheesy bells and whistles, in my book. The two-tier gauge setup and driver-aimed center console were the only design and function-centric highlights inside.

330R
Profile for 330R
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2011 23:07
DCR wrote:
So, were these 5 Honda enthusiasts? I'm confused...because they sound exactly like the people here who aren't falling for the 9th Gen "attempt".

The overall impression that I get, especially being an informal log writeup, is that those five people could have been handpicked from their comments section, from TOV, from The Car Lounge, or just about anywhere that people come or go to talk about cars. The general consensus seems to be, 'we remember the past Civics that brought more fun, more quality, and thoughtful touches to a package that was more car than others in its class.. the 2012 Civic is a good car that has lost some of its specialness at an inopportune time'.

The one comment that really surprised me was from one of the writers who liked the materials quality and plastics graining. I remember someone from C/D also liking them in one article, but a later article criticized them.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2011 12:33
Just wait a few months. Once people start getting some seat time in these 9th gens, then we will see what kind of job Honda has done. I suspect that people are going to run into typical problems that plague most infancy stages of a new vehicle, but for Honda's sake, I sure hope the delay also involved some quality refinement.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2011 12:46
AutoBlog: EX Sedan
Let's be clear: We're not here to suggest that Honda's careful maturation of the Civic is a mistake we think the majority of small car buyers will appreciate its improved composure and refinement, and we applaud Honda's engineers for not packing on the pounds. But you're reading this review on Autoblog, and this suggests that you're probably more interested in driving dynamics than the average bear. On this front, the Civic's newfound maturity has come at the expense of liveliness found in both its previous iterations and some of its competitors. Unfortunately, nothing about this new Civic, from its design to its interior appointments to its fuel economy and pricing, has stepped up in exchange to help it stand out from the competition.

Like that indecisive companion desperately trying to find just the right outfit, the 2012 Civic would probably have been a more entertaining date had it just stuck with what it was wearing initially.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 12:16
2012 Honda Civic Si Long Term Update 1
Unfortunately I have been spending a lot of time behind the wheels of vehicles other than the Civic lately. A slew of family visits has seen me happily playing tour guide and bus driver behind the wheel of both our Honda Odyssey and Nissan Quest, which reside in the long-term test fleet. As far as people movers go, either option is swell, but man was I glad to ratchet through the gears of the Si upon the families departure. I have come to think of the car as my own, and after the sale of my personal loved and loyal Mk4 Volkswagen GTI, the Civic is my only means of transportation.

The feeling of enjoyment I had returning to the Civic was not a foreign 1 to me. Every time I would drive my GTI, I would get out pleased, telling myself how nice it is and how much I liked driving it. In fact there are a lot of similar aspects of the two cars. 1 thing I always loved about my GTI was the amount of visibility and the civic has it in spades. Unlike many modern form-over-function cars the civic has a very thin a-pillar. Also, directly aft of the pillar is a small fixed wing-window that gives you tons of forward visibility. The 2 rear pillars are also fairly thin and overall it really feels like you can easily see out of any angle, save for maybe the view up from the drivers seat, like at a stoplight. Other than the obvious safety during normal driving benefits, good visibility helps during aggressive driving allowing for a good view of corners and the road ahead.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 12:35
Evidently, visibility is pretty important to this guy.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 13:28
superchg2 wrote:
Evidently, visibility is pretty important to this guy.

interestingly, to me it seemed like the rearward visibility in the new Civic sedans isn't as good as the 8th generation's rear visibility. I couldn't quite figure out why exactly I felt that way, just perhaps a slightly different driving position creating a different perspective.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2012 10:23
AutoMobileMag
It's funny how negative the reaction to this generation of Honda Civic has been. You'd think Honda was building a terrible Civic based on some of the press out there. The Civic is still a commendable compact car; it just isn't as impressive as the other recently redesigned cars in this class.

Honda's decision to play it safe with the Civic may draw criticism from the press, but consumers keep buying the cars. In the first quarter of 2012, the Honda Civic handily outsold everything else in the compact class. How can the Civic succeed? It has an intuitive interior, for starters. Other compacts may offer more connectivity options, but the Civic sticks with tried-and-true buttons and knobs that are easy to use and look more modern than the equally simple controls in the Mazda 3.

The design of the Civic is also familiar. Other compacts have upped the design game to the point of compromising visibility or usability while Honda stuck with a basic sedan shape and more timeless lines. With legendary reliability and a reasonable $21,275 sticker price, the 2012 Honda Civic EX doesn't need to offer a lot of gimmicks to attract buyers.

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy