[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic Tourer - Facelift Spied
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 08:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/03/nissan-juke-r-to-get-limited-production-run-w-video/

This is an insane, but delightful idea. Basically some engineers at Nissan put the GT-Rís engine in a the tiny Juke for fun. Now they are actually going to sell them. Iím sure they wonít make a dime on this, but itís awesome to see a car company can still have fun. Iím sure the free press they will get out of it will make them come out ahead in the end.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 08:44
And Honda makes a CR-Z. Won't even give us a K20 CR-Z. Oh wait, they're working on a turbo version of the CR-Z. Which we might see in the year 2030. Should be a good market for those, when we're out of gas!
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 09:31
I read somewhere Nissan UK dept started the project without seeking approval from Nissan executives in Japan. The GT-R engineers are apparently not happy with this conversion.
Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 09:46
BachelorFrog wrote:
I read somewhere Nissan UK dept started the project without seeking approval from Nissan executives in Japan. The GT-R engineers are apparently not happy with this conversion.

Yeah, I read that too, but I chalk it up to urban legend and/or clever marketing by Nissan. The idea of a rogue group of engineers secretly crafting a hot rod in the break room sounds cool, but this is not something that you can can hide from the boss like a cute message in software or hidden image in a micro circuit (both of which I've seen).

The fact that it's going into limited production tells you Nissan couldn't have been all that upset about it. Sounds like Nissan management is smart enough to know that a little fun is good for publicity as well as the moral of it's own people.

I've work as a engineer at places where creativity and new ideas were welcomed and encouraged and I've also worked at places where the accountants ruled the roast. I can tell you the productivity of the engineering group goes way up when they are having fun. Something that smart management realizes.

Sadly, the bean counters have taken control at Honda to such a degree that it the bottom line will suffer.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:00
That whole Juke-R skunkworks thing is pretty cool - even if the "rogue" angle was fabricated.

The Juke is so grotesque that it borders on awesome. I wonder how a pearl white one would looked dropped and wearing some 19" 370Z wheels, subtle body kit and wing. Like a pesky bug...
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:21
Chris David wrote:
BachelorFrog wrote:

Yeah, I read that too, but I chalk it up to urban legend and/or clever marketing by Nissan. The idea of a rogue group of engineers secretly crafting a hot rod in the break room sounds cool, but this is not something that you can can hide from the boss like a cute message in software or hidden image in a micro circuit (both of which I've seen).

The fact that it's going into limited production tells you Nissan couldn't have been all that upset about it. Sounds like Nissan management is smart enough to know that a little fun is good for publicity as well as the moral of it's own people.

I've work as a engineer at places where creativity and new ideas were welcomed and encouraged and I've also worked at places where the accountants ruled the roast. I can tell you the productivity of the engineering group goes way up when they are having fun. Something that smart management realizes.

Sadly, the bean counters have taken control at Honda to such a degree that it the bottom line will suffer.

- was it built by Nissan?
apparently not, according to C&D:
were commissioned by Nissan Europe and built by British motorsports house RML Group
- is it really a Juke?
also from C&D:
It takes no small amount of wrench pimpery to stuff a GT-Rís powertrain into a crossover the size of a bento box. The rear seats are gone, replaced by an FIA-compliant roll cage. Gone, too, are the Jukeís original floor, firewall (a new one lives 3.9 inches to the rear), and headliner.
- is the final product any good?
Crosswinds, sneezes, and butterfly wing flaps in China make the Jukeís tall body twitch and bob.
- who buys them?
from IL:
"We will make Juke-R available to customers anywhere in the world on a build-to-order basis. It is intended for serious collectors and investors who want to own a true original, an innovative project that will only be created in extremely small numbers."

Welcome to the new world when a corp. is run by a marketing machine, it earns respect.
Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:34
Not sure what your point is Doctor. The Juke is a nasty little beast. It makes no sense as a sports car and will make no money. That's what makes it so much fun.

Marketing doesn't make it cool. It just is.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 15:19
I think if one watches an on-track video or the documentation of the concept and engineering build, then SEPARATES that from the marketing HYPE, it's a fun effort and great that they are actually making them available for sale.

I'm not offended by how this may or may not have been "orchestrated," but simply pleased that the concept came into being and those who are interested can purchase it. They'll have a hoot and good for them!
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 16:59
The Juke-R will no doubt have a 6 figure price tag, and will probably be a nice play toy for oil sheiks throughout the middle east.
MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 18:59
superchg2 wrote:
The Juke-R will no doubt have a 6 figure price tag, and will probably be a nice play toy for oil sheiks throughout the middle east.

According to many reports: It will cost over $590k USD.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 19:11
1. For that same price, one can fetch a Ferrari FF AND a GT-R. No brainer for me.

2. I still don't understand the adv. of Juke R when compared w/ the donor car GT-R: higher c.g.; worse look (not that GT-R is any good), any improvement in handling? Doubtful.

3. I wonder why, in C&D's word, "[f]orum fanboys pissed themselves".
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 20:58
lol its a JUKE who would care about this!?
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 21:54
Saw a Juke in person on the same day I took my car flying. It looks like a frog when looking from front..
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 22:45
Its like GM putting the Vette engine in Aztec
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 14:50
DrWhiner wrote:
1. For that same price, one can fetch a Ferrari FF AND a GT-R. No brainer for me.

2. I still don't understand the adv. of Juke R when compared w/ the donor car GT-R: higher c.g.; worse look (not that GT-R is any good), any improvement in handling? Doubtful.

3. I wonder why, in C&D's word, "[f]orum fanboys pissed themselves".

It's all about EXCLUSIVITY here...

Anyone can get a Ferrari.. but this here is going to be one off.

And likely very, VERY fun.

Besides, it looks like it'll have more headroom than a Ferrari and likely it will FAR more reliable as well.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 17:04
Where did the estimated price come from? I don't recall seeing it anywhere. But then again, I don't read... ;-)
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 18:05
I have seen estimated prices from $200K to $590K, and the $200K range seems to makes a lot more sense, based on the ingredients that go into this mutant beast!

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 19:33
FiSH-Chan wrote:
Saw a Juke in person on the same day I took my car flying. It looks like a frog when looking from front..

That's funny, I've always thought the same thing when I see one coming. Very strange looking vehicle.
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2012 04:17
This is obviously a brilliant marketing stunt by Nissan that will draw attention to the plebeian Jukes and make people think that the place for extreme automotive engineering is no longer Honda, but Nissan.
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2012 22:13
Look, when we have the tools, there are wonderful things we can build with it. The limit is only our imaginations ! It is only when we DON'T have any tools, then all we can do is talk and talk, and in the end it will all be empty air. And like I wrote in the other thread. "Bang Balls" !

So it doesn't matter if it is pure marketing ploy. Or marketing bullshit. Or marketing genius. The fact is Nissan provided the tools. So lots of things can be done with it. And this is just the beginning. Soon, we will see TRD 86s, BRZ RA-Sti's, and all kinds of other 'marketing ploys'. What can we do ? "Bang Balls" only.

Though if/when the Mugen CR-Z comes to fruition in Europe, at least that's one small step in the right direction.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:23
$700,000 for a couple of handbuilt examples. Okay?

I honestly don't understand why people are going apeshit over this thing either. If this was done by a bunch of hillbillies in a backranch somewhere with sawzalls and stick welders, I'd be pretty impressed. As it is, it's done by a professional shop and had way too many videos made about it.
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 22:28
CarPhreakD wrote:
... As it is, it's done by a professional shop and had way too many videos made about it.

That is EXACTLY the point. Videos, viral marketing, word of mouth. Heck, even WE here on TOV are talking and discussing and arguing about it. This is where Honda JUST DOESN'T GET IT. A car like this is made by a bunch of enthusiasts, using parts off the Nissan 'catalog'. Things like this GETS TALKED ABOUT. They get VIDEOS made about it. Lots and lots of videos. Lots and lots of coverage. FREE coverage. By all the important people. Word of it goes around. So what if it's USD700k or even USD1million and no-one buys it. The important thing is this thing is called a NISSAN and after the dust is settled, people know about the little Juke and says "damn that's an ugly Nissan". But they are led, or misled, into thinking and talking about Nissan. This creates an awareness of Nissan in their mind. This, after all, is what marketing and exposure of the brand is all about.

Videos of cars like the ZDX, Crosstours, ILX, and general everday cars will never go viral and will never be talked about with this kind of intensity. Heck, they even get lacklustre attention here on TOV, what more around the general car owners forums.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 22:54
WongKN wrote:
Videos of cars like the ZDX, Crosstours, ILX, and general everday cars will never go viral and will never be talked about with this kind of intensity. Heck, they even get lacklustre attention here on TOV, what more around the general car owners forums.

That's what I was thinking.

A friend of mine keeps emailing my work mail about the new Kia K9 with the HUD and RWD (how original?), and going like, oooh that is so niiice it looks like a BMW, yay go Kia something like that.

And I go like, OKay, Honda made the new NSX, and it doesn't get mention in Top Gear web site in the geneva show, only Infiniti sports EV gets mentioned. Then the RLX with 4WS or 30/30/30 350hp hybrid tech, but the kia with the HUD V8 gets more attention.

Is Honda tech too complicated to impress?
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 23:04
If you are talking about the NSX, it might be worthwhile to remember that the NSX doesn't exist yet. It is still all talk. Honda doesn't even have a firm date on its release.

Not all Honda employees are clueless. I remember the local marketing manager (whom Honda Malaysia stupidly mistreated, with the result he left to join first Chevrolet and now is head of operations at Audi) was very excited when he saw modified versions of the original (previous gen) City. He was especially excited about one with bold logo on the door and huge wings and bodykit and rims. That car was a bit over the top but his point is that people LOOKS at it everywhere the car goes. People point at it and says "holy shit, look at that car, what car is that ?". This kind of attention grabber is priceless, he said, and no amount of advertising will ever generate this kind of attention. We want people to have an impression of Honda imprinted in their mind, he kept saying. Because after seeing the car, people on the roads will also see a regular City. Now they pay attention to the normal car just because they have seen an over the top version of it previously. He was the ABSOLUTE BEST marketing manager Honda Malaysia ever had.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 23:31
WongKN wrote:
If you are talking about the NSX, it might be worthwhile to remember that the NSX doesn't exist yet. It is still all talk. Honda doesn't even have a firm date on its release.

But the problem is the Inifniti EV sports supercar doesn't exist yet too, or at least as far as I know and I don't even remember the name, YET it is mentioned in the Geneva show in the Top Gear page even after 1 week passed, the last time I checked that page still no mention of NSX. (I didn't check the page now maybe by now they put the NSX mention it somewhere)..

However, the bright side is, the NSX did get some fairly good viral sharing going on when it came out, at least I can see it happening with my friends passing it around. The RLX is like it almost don't exist now (at least until launch, and how much buzz will there be?).

I agree with shock and awe marketing one though, Honda definitely lacking there. However locally at least, I think all three nissan and toyota and honda companies lacking in this area.... the one recent buzz I am getting is the mistubishi triton... truck
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 23:35
WongKN wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
... As it is, it's done by a professional shop and had way too many videos made about it.

That is EXACTLY the point. Videos, viral marketing, word of mouth. Heck, even WE here on TOV are talking and discussing and arguing about it. This is where Honda JUST DOESN'T GET IT. A car like this is made by a bunch of enthusiasts, using parts off the Nissan 'catalog'. Things like this GETS TALKED ABOUT. They get VIDEOS made about it. Lots and lots of videos. Lots and lots of coverage. FREE coverage. By all the important people. Word of it goes around. So what if it's USD700k or even USD1million and no-one buys it. The important thing is this thing is called a NISSAN and after the dust is settled, people know about the little Juke and says "damn that's an ugly Nissan". But they are led, or misled, into thinking and talking about Nissan. This creates an awareness of Nissan in their mind. This, after all, is what marketing and exposure of the brand is all about.

Wong, the general consensus around the internet seems to be that there are too many videos about it.

I'm sorry, but I don't subscribe to the Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian type of marketing. Honda/Acura needs to speak softly and carry a big stick- these last few years have made it apparent that they're all talk and no substance.

And this thing that Nissan is putting out? Just really dumb.
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 23:53
You get me wrong Carphreak. I am not saying this kind of "BLING" kind of stuff is what Honda needs to do. What I am saying is what you are saying - that Honda is all talk and no substance. What I am saying is that monstrosities like this Juke-R, they can come into existence because Nissan has the things that allows them to come into existence. I.e. The Juke-R is generating lots of talk because supposedly it has a Skyline (or GT-R) engine in it. It doesn't matter if the swap is not neat or the thing is ugly, too expensive, etc. The issue is Nissan has an engine that when swapped into the Juke, makes it a Juke-R and as a result gets 'way too many videos made about it'. Let's say I want to do a similar project with a Honda. WHAT ENGINE CAN I USE ? An LDA ? As the movie (I Robot) goes "THAT is the question to ask". In fact I am even arguing for the "no-show more-go" kind of approach. Like what we used to have. Cars that are understated and yet dominates everything, like an endurance race.

So to me THIS is the irony of it all. Honda wants to appeal to the mainstream. For that they need lots of viral marketing, BLING-BLING stuff. Because much as you and I hate all those Paris Hilton fake "I wanna be your best friend" stuff (who in his/her right mind goes LOOKING for a best friend in a reality show), THOSE kind of stuff are what the mainstream looks at, what impresses them. People like you and I, we like the understated, we go for substance over show. But it has already been drilled into us so we should not be thick-skinned anymore. We are NO LONGER in Honda's radar. They are NO LONGER interested in enthusiasts or Honda fans. So it doesn't matter what you and I are impressed at. It matters what the mainstream is impressed at. But without the tools, there is no bling. An IMA engine does not bring bling. Fake EPA numbers brings it. As are hype, over the top theatrics, cars like the Juke-R. But how do we build monstrosities like the Juke-R if we don't have the parts to make it a monstrosity ? It looks like a viscous cycle that Honda can't get out of isn't it ?
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 01:19
WongKN wrote:
Let's say I want to do a similar project with a Honda. WHAT ENGINE CAN I USE ? An LDA ? As the movie (I Robot) goes "THAT is the question to ask". In fact I am even arguing for the "no-show more-go" kind of approach. Like what we used to have. Cars that are understated and yet dominates everything, like an endurance race.

Remember that 1st Gen insight with the VTEC V6 posted here a while back? But anyway, like all other Honda stuff otherwise that has like basically ZERO buzz anyway...
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 01:57
The problem really is that the V6 engine is not that much to shout about. If it were the C32A (from the NSX), I bet there will be a lot more talk about it.

For e.g., remember how much talk there were about the Mugen Fit Dynamite ? What's so special about a Fit with a 2.0l engine ? What's the big deal with a 2.0l engine ? Because that engine is a Type R ! Notice how much exposure that HKS Turbocharged CR-Z got. And how much talk there is now of the Mugen CR-Z. So, despite whatever limitations it has, the CR-Z do still get -some- level of exposure to it.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Nissan Juke-R going into production    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 02:23
WongKN, you are right on the money, and there was a time not so long ago when it seems Honda Fans were still on the radar.

The 2006 Si was developed for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
I remember, the challenge was to bring the 8G Si to market with all of it's great features like "K" series 2.0, super 6 speed, mechanical LSD, great handling and braking, great seats, even a sunroof, and their challenge was to keep the base price in the U.S. under $20,000, which they did! ($19,990 to be exact).

The 9G Si pretty much duplicates the 8G, performance wise, but there is nothing about it that advances the cause or puts it on the enthusiast's radar, especially in 2012!

When the Focus ST comparo's come along in a few month's, the Mazdaspeed of course will be there, the GTI will be on deck too, but I have a funny feeling the current Si may not get invited to the pocket-rocket party this time around!

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy