[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Accord CrossTour --> Re: Possible engine issue
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: F1 may change engine formula in 2016
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Racing NSX (silhouette) info.
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: It looks like Honda is going to go with Android in the future
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The most beautiful thing in the world is...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Turbocharged engines coming in 2015
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Went from 2006 SI to 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Infiniti Vision GT Concept .... designed in Beijing
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews - Motor Trend 3.5 SH-AWD First Test
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: S660 detailed in Honda Magazine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Fugtastic Messes
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Retrofit 2012 Odyssey Touring with one touch turn signals
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2012 10:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Title says it all:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/570/292/223/mandate-amber-turn-signals/

I know I've ranted about this before, but hopefully some public opinion will get the U.S. government to change their mind.
Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 08:08
This is a petition to add even more regulation? No thanks.
Steve
Profile for Steve
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 08:28
Will this dumb idea ever die. I have a petition to STOP this petition.
There are far more pressing issues. This is not one of them.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 10:45
Not a dumb idea at all. Sure there's some cost to implementing it - all those pesky civic servants.

When i came to live in North america in 1997 I thought the all red pontiac style one rear light doing everything the most stupid and potentially dangerous NA specific motoring feature ever.

there's far too much emphasis on passive safety - ie how the car performs when it is in a crash, rather than avoiding them happening in the first place.

So we need more roundabouts, rear fog lights, decent road markings and better signage, better brakes (not a single vehicle in Europe has rear drums), tougher driving test standards, more driver education in the media, compulsory winter tire laws, tire tread depth laws, road tests for old vehicles, and yes, amber rear turns signals. The cost to society of road deaths may be more than implementing a few laws. Amber tail lights being one.
Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 11:07
To save lives.... mandatory AWD and car driver helmet laws must be implemented NOW.

And drivers that drive in snowstorms should be fined.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 11:19
You forgot full harness seat belts.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 11:22
and all passengers should wear helmets, not just the driver. just think of all the jobs that would be generated making all those baby helmets. Not to forget dogs - there should be compulsory full restraint and doggie helmet laws too. Nothing needed for cats, unless they have already survived 8 crashes.
Steve
Profile for Steve
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 15:13
Maybe we should go to right hand drive. Line the side and rear of the car with a few dozen repeaters. I haven't heard of 1 accident caused by red signals. Oh wait, a solution to a problem which does not exist, sounds like a job for big government. The most terrifying phrase a citizen can hear is, "Hello, I'm from the government and I am here to help you". Come on people the color of the light is not the problem, the driver is. Take responsibility and pay attention on the road. Get off your damn cell phone and don't text and drive. Those are the real dangers. Also, any color signal will be useless if people fail to use them.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 15:22
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
Title says it all:

I know I've ranted about this before, but hopefully some public opinion will get the U.S. government to change their mind.

Come to think about it..

How about a petition that if your name is TonyE's then everyone should get the hell out of my way on the road and all traffic lights will turn green and the cops will allow me to 100 mph and gas will be free and the insurance companies will give me a free ride too!

Now that's something I could sign!
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 17:12
Steve wrote:
Maybe we should go to right hand drive. Line the side and rear of the car with a few dozen repeaters. I haven't heard of 1 accident caused by red signals. Oh wait, a solution to a problem which does not exist, sounds like a job for big government. The most terrifying phrase a citizen can hear is, "Hello, I'm from the government and I am here to help you". Come on people the color of the light is not the problem, the driver is. Take responsibility and pay attention on the road. Get off your damn cell phone and don't text and drive. Those are the real dangers. Also, any color signal will be useless if people fail to use them.

I totally agree with you on that. However, what I am saying is that amber is slightly easier to see against bright red brake lamps.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 17:45
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
Title says it all:

F__K more regulations..........We need less of them, the reason for all the price increases on cars and everything else id GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!

STOP DEMANDING someone else do......for you and just PAY ATTENTION........
siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 18:07
I'm curious. Are there still new vehicles being built that have the turn signal use the same lights as the brake lights? Like some older trucks used to? I find those so annoying in the city.

I think having a similar style of signalling across all vehicles would be a good thing. Amber lights are good. The outer lens doesn't have to be amber; just the bulb. I'm not going to sign this petition though because I simply don't care enough.

I think making side-mirror signal lights (or on the fender) a requirement on all vehicles would do more to prevent accidents than this, especially on the freeway.
Inebriated Snake
Profile for Inebriated Snake
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 18:40
I don't think there needs to be an amber mandate. Just one to make the lights for the brake and the turn signal separate lights.

I would be all in for mirror turn signals though. They look better and make it easier to see an oncoming car trying to make a turn at night. Especially if the car has HIDs where the turns in the headlamp are almost completely obscured.

Also instead of blindspot detection systems which could fail and cost money. Just build a better mirror. These ones with the built in convex part work really well.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 19:58
can Canadian's sign?

I wish there was a standard like that here. Whats next blue turn signals after red?
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 22:20
siegen wrote:
I'm curious. Are there still new vehicles being built that have the turn signal use the same lights as the brake lights? Like some older trucks used to?

I think most automakers are doing away with this type of set up. The current Fusion is the only car that I can think of at the moment that has this but it's about to be replaced. For a long time I thought the clear portion doubled as the reverse lights and turn signal but was proven wrong while following one about to make a turn.

I was also fooled by the Accord coupe for a while. It did however, use a seperate bulb for the trun signal.

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 22:56
Inebriated Snake wrote:
Also instead of blindspot detection systems which could fail and cost money. Just build a better mirror. These ones with the built in convex part work really well.

I understand your concerns. I wouldn't mind having a blind spot monitor but I would still look over my shoulder before making a lane change. Hopefully people won't come to completely rely on these systems because if they fail, they may end up causing accidents rather than preventing them.

It seems Honda may be taking a similar a approach to your idea. I've noticed that most cars equipped with BSM have it on both mirrors. IIRC, the '13 Accord will have BSM on the passenger side mirror only but the drivers mirror is supposed to have an extended view like the CR-Vs I suppose. I'm curious if they did it this way to cut costs.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 15:55
Steve wrote:
Come on people the color of the light is not the problem, the driver is. Take responsibility and pay attention on the road. Get off your damn cell phone and don't text and drive. Those are the real dangers. Also, any color signal will be useless if people fail to use them.

Bingo. Turn signal neglect:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/30/turn-signal-neglect-results-in-over-twice-as-many-crashes-as-dis/
gogzy
Profile for gogzy
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 16:33
interesting,,, in Canada, the front has to be wither white or amber, and rear to be red... Gov does not want amber at rear at all.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 17:32
Inebriated Snake wrote:
I don't think there needs to be an amber mandate. Just one to make the lights for the brake and the turn signal separate lights.

I would be all in for mirror turn signals though. They look better and make it easier to see an oncoming car trying to make a turn at night. Especially if the car has HIDs where the turns in the headlamp are almost completely obscured.

I really like your idea with the blind spot mirrors. However apparently adding that little corner is "too expensive". I would gladly pay extra for that. What I don't want to do is glue an aftermarket little mirror and ruin it.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 20:00
gogzy wrote:
interesting,,, in Canada, the front has to be wither white or amber, and rear to be red... Gov does not want amber at rear at all.

Really? Can we have a source for that interesting information.

Blind spots can be virtually eradicated by proper mirror positioning. Though the CRVs split design makes blind spots even less likely. i think there is some restrictive legislation somewhere concerning split mirrors. Many cars in Europe have them.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 11:51
I actually prefer non-amber tail lights. Honda/Acura sometimes removes them @ MMC & it looks better IMHO:

04EXV6
Profile for 04EXV6
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 12:08
Agree with you all the way...I read a NHTSA report that concluded that seperate brake lights would help prevent accidents but the project is shelved due to lack of funding.
Ultima
Profile for Ultima
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 12:46
This is what happens when the government gets too big....
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 12:56
gogzy wrote:

Huh?

I've got 3 cars with amber rear signals. (Canadian eh?)

There are plenty of cars with amber rear signals and that's the way they should be.

All that crap about paying attention is great, but it doesn't change the fact that a red signal can still be easily confused with a brake light in cases where you can only see one of them.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 12:13
TSX69 wrote:
I actually prefer non-amber tail lights. Honda/Acura sometimes removes them @ MMC & it looks better IMHO:

I don't think you understand. These cars still have an amber turn signal bulb under the clear lens. Anyway, no modern cars still use amber plastic for the turn signals.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 12:31
according2kev wrote:
Inebriated Snake wrote:

I understand your concerns. I wouldn't mind having a blind spot monitor but I would still look over my shoulder before making a lane change. Hopefully people won't come to completely rely on these systems because if they fail, they may end up causing accidents rather than preventing them.

It seems Honda may be taking a similar a approach to your idea. I've noticed that most cars equipped with BSM have it on both mirrors. IIRC, the '13 Accord will have BSM on the passenger side mirror only but the drivers mirror is supposed to have an extended view like the CR-Vs I suppose. I'm curious if they did it this way to cut costs.

I have a feeling all new hondas and acuras will have those type of curved mirrors. The new ILX and RDX both have them.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 12:34
VTEC_Inside wrote:
gogzy wrote:

Huh?

There are plenty of cars with amber rear signals and that's the way they should be.

All that crap about paying attention is great, but it doesn't change the fact that a red signal can still be easily confused with a brake light in cases where you can only see one of them.

An LED tail light set up has quicker recognition time than light bulbs.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 13:30
VTEC_Inside wrote:
gogzy wrote:

Huh?

An LED tail light set up has quicker recognition time than light bulbs.
That is, they light up quicker.

"The main advantage is that they illuminate in a matter of a few billionths rather than a few thousandths of a second. When it comes to a driver’s reaction time and a vehicle’s braking, fractions of a second count. Cadillac, which introduced the first all-LED taillights on its 2000 DeVille, estimates that the difference between the on-time of LEDs versus light bulbs translates to 17.6 feet of space when the car is going 60 mph.

It’s hard to appreciate the difference when dealing with fractions of a second, but it is real and demonstrable. Observe a vehicle that combines an LED center brake light and conventional taillights, and you’ll see that the LEDs come on instantly and the taillights slowly follow. The taillights’ light bulbs come to full intensity and then slowly fade when the driver steps off the brake pedal."
iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: Petition to Mandate Amber Turn Signals in U.S.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 20:09
HONDA AFVM wrote:
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
Title says it all:

F__K more regulations..........We need less of them, the reason for all the price increases on cars and everything else id GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!

STOP DEMANDING someone else do......for you and just PAY ATTENTION........

I think amber turn signals look better and are easier to see. I also am in favor of most regulations that make cars passively safer. Though I do think it is funny that motorcyclists are allowed to ride without helmets but all cars have to be tested and proven safe to a very high level. I guess some level of choice in the matter would be nice...but would any of us really buy a car that was somehow less safe than another car?