[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
More.......................
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Honda's Roadgoing Moto GP Replica Bike Unveiled
2015 Acura TLX Earns 2014 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+
Honda and Acura release October sales results
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new AT(8-10 gears)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports: CR-V Touring
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 700 HP and nowhere to go because of Toronto traffic
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline rendering from who knows where
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Consumer Reports full review
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Dont test drive a 2015 CRV!!!
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX is benchmarked against
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - McLaren-Honda Abu Dhabi test report
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D first drive: Toyota Mirai (hydrogen FCEV)
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2016 Civic Rumors
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda Formula Lites
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Cadillac's boss is cocky but truthful.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumor!!! Ito out in March of next year
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: CRZ Gen.2 looks like a go!
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: WTF Fifty shades of Grey
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 10:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The new 1.6L Ecoboost Ford Escape is EPA rated at 23 city/33 hwy. That's with 178 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/27/2013-ford-escape-1-6l-ecoboost-officially-rated-at-23-33-mpg/

Didn't Ito-san say something like Honda would have class leading fuel economy in EVERY segment by 201X with the reveal of Earth Dreams powertrain?
JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 10:45
Every EcoBoost motor is having issues with hitting EPA ratings consistently. I'd expect this to be no different...
CarGuyLee
Profile for CarGuyLee
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 13:07
JonBoy wrote:
Every EcoBoost motor is having issues with hitting EPA ratings consistently. I'd expect this to be no different...

Where can I find that info in print?

I'm kind of disappoited in these numbers, especially when you compare it to the old 2.5. 1 less city, 2 less hwy
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 14:50
Under boost, the 23/33 rating is not possible. You need to drive like a grandmother to achieve that rating.

Look at motortrend's Exploder EB reviews, its a failure.

xman
Profile for xman
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 15:16
I do not trust EPA ratings much. My '12 Odyssey gets 21 mpgs (rated 19/28), and my '07 335i manual rated 17/26 is getting 25 for the same exact drive for my commute to work.
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 15:30
I'd still go with Mazda CX-5. The combined fuel economy will be better than Escape.

Time for a comparison test!
RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 15:34
typer_801 wrote:
The new 1.6L Ecoboost Ford Escape is EPA rated at 23 city/33 hwy. That's with 178 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/27/2013-ford-escape-1-6l-ecoboost-officially-rated-at-23-33-mpg/

Didn't Ito-san say something like Honda would have class leading fuel economy in EVERY segment by 201X with the reveal of Earth Dreams powertrain?

Yes he did. Keep in mind that all the new Honda engines with direct injection will come shortly.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 16:57
typer_801 wrote:

Check this review of the Ford Explorer with an ecoBoost engine..

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1108_ford_explorer_ecoboost_test/

EPA 25 to 35 mpg...
Observed 19.9 and it was doggone slow.

Here's the Edge Ecoboost

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1203_2012_ford_edge_sel_ecoboost_first_test/

EPA 21/30
Observed less than 19.

I think the Ford is putting very small engines in too large vehicles and then running it through the EPA cycle which is really way too light. Then they publish the EPA numbers and 90% of the "reviews" take that for granted.

Every so often you will see a real road review, or you'll see owners report the real world mileage numbers and you see that actual efficiency is well short of the mark.

That plus the fact that driving a vehicle with a too small engine really forces the driver to push the engine.... which for a turbo really makes it a chore....

If someone should be sued on EPA numbers, it shouldn't be Honda.

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 17:08

Any turbo's EPA numbers are not reliable.
Also, not sure what the Ford's intention is behind making both 2.5L NA as well as 1.6L turbo engines available when their output difference is just 5HP.

Anyway, ED should easily top these numbers and its very likely that the current CRVs real world numbers are likely going to be higher than escape's real world numbers.

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 18:54
typer_801 wrote:
The new 1.6L Ecoboost Ford Escape is EPA rated at 23 city/33 hwy. That's with 178 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. [...]

From MT:
4WD HP TQ EPA City/Hwy
Escape 1.6L Turbo I-4 6AT 178 184 22 31
CR-V 2.4 I-4 5AT 185 163 22 30

The 4WD CR-V is just 1mpg short in hwy test cycle. nothing ground breaking, just continuous improvement.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 19:17
DrWhiner wrote:
typer_801 wrote:
The new 1.6L Ecoboost Ford Escape is EPA rated at 23 city/33 hwy. That's with 178 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. [...]

From MT:
4WD HP TQ EPA City/Hwy

The 4WD CR-V is just 1mpg short in hwy test cycle. nothing ground breaking, just continuous improvement.

That 1 mpg disadvantage will pretty much be gone when the ED + CVT combo arrives.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 19:30
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
I'd still go with Mazda CX-5. The combined fuel economy will be better than Escape.

Time for a comparison test!

I sat in a 2013 Escape, the rear seats are terrible......the dash is blah.........it feels small........
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 21:41
CarGuyLee wrote:
JonBoy wrote:

I'm kind of disappoited in these numbers, especially when you compare it to the old 2.5. 1 less city, 2 less hwy

Isn't this the exact same thing that happened with the old RDX? The turbo is constantly boosting the engine to move the chassis mass and took quite a hit on the mileage. Anything turbo and economical should be relegated to diesel or small cars. I'm all in with the turbo craze, but only for small cars, maybe something like those Keii cars.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 13:49
Midi_Amp wrote:
CarGuyLee wrote:
JonBoy wrote:

Isn't this the exact same thing that happened with the old RDX? The turbo is constantly boosting the engine to move the chassis mass and took quite a hit on the mileage. Anything turbo and economical should be relegated to diesel or small cars. I'm all in with the turbo craze, but only for small cars, maybe something like those Keii cars.

The RDX had low EPA ratings that match its real world mileage..so..I'd say that's more acceptable. I don't like cars that promise so much but underdeliver.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 14:04
DrWhiner wrote:
typer_801 wrote:

From MT:
4WD HP TQ EPA City/Hwy

Jeez.. didn't you read my post?

MT measured under 19 mpg during their test.

You're posting EPA numbers which is ridiculous. Anytime you take a small turbo engine, the EPA numbers are unlikely to ever be met when you take the car on the street.
civicw
Profile for civicw
Re: 2013 Ford Escape EPA Rated 23/33    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 22:23
The way I look at Ecoboost, it's a great marketing gimmick to extract $$$ from buyers, and make them feel better about buying gas hogs like the Explorer and F-150.

Eventually, the word is going to get around that the extra $$$ for Ecoboost isn't worth it. Long term reliability is also unknown.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0