[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
More.......................
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Camry First Drives are up
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Silly little European engines
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Rendered: Acura CLX/TLX Coupe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Honda Spirior Si
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad Paint on my 14' Accord
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Hey Acura, how about making an MDX Type S?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Singapore Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: F/S: 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan; Habanero Red; 54,000 miles; no mods
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Could Nissan's expensive battery plants write-offs
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: 2015 North American Car of the Year
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: Why no 3 Stage VTEC?
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2008 CRV whining sound
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TODAY IS MY LAST DAY IN MY 40'S.........
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 10:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
FiSH-Chan wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
The decision to copy and paste the Civic IMA into the ILX is indicative of a real lack of innovation in certain Honda cars, of late.

The fact that the hybrid is heavier than the Civic, hence slower and less efficient, guarantee's critcal reviews for this potentially $35,000 car.

Should copy and paste the CRZ hybrid engine, would look a bit better.

They just inserted it into the Fit RS Hybrid. Honestly, the ILX Hybrid should have had at least 170-180hp, though. An R20 IMA could have gotten it there maybe.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 10:33
Why is this car still not listed on Acura.com?
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 11:06
ConsumerGuide
ILX bridges a gap of sorts between regular compact cars and the current crop of premium compacts. Except in the 2.4 model (which few will likely buy due to its mandatory manual transmission), acceleration leans toward the leisurely side--particularly in the Hybrid--but chassis composure, noise suppression, and interior materials are at luxury levels. Those who put more weight on a premium nameplate, electronic gadgets, and high-end appointments than they do on performance or absolute value for the money may find the ILX a worthy addition to their shopping list.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 16:43
"Those who put more weight on a premium nameplate, electronic gadgets, and high-end appointments than they do on performance or absolute value for the money may find the ILX a worthy addition to their shopping list."

They are calling you stupid if you buy this...see it?
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 17:42
A D V A N C E .
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 17:51
TSX69 wrote:
ConsumerGuide
ILX bridges a gap of sorts between regular compact cars and the current crop of premium compacts. Except in the 2.4 model (which few will likely buy due to its mandatory manual transmission), acceleration leans toward the leisurely side--particularly in the Hybrid--but chassis composure, noise suppression, and interior materials are at luxury levels. Those who put more weight on a premium nameplate, electronic gadgets, and high-end appointments than they do on performance or absolute value for the money may find the ILX a worthy addition to their shopping list.

Perfect summary.
Mr. Taggart
Profile for Mr. Taggart
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 18:22
DCR wrote:
"Those who put more weight on a premium nameplate, electronic gadgets, and high-end appointments than they do on performance or absolute value for the money may find the ILX a worthy addition to their shopping list."

They are calling you stupid if you buy this...see it?

Isn't absolute value for the money subjective???
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 18:57
DCR wrote:

I've been wondering this too. It's partially listed on Acura Canada's website, but still no trim levels and specific features.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 19:32
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
DCR wrote:

I've been wondering this too. It's partially listed on Acura Canada's website, but still no trim levels and specific features.

2 days after on-sale date, and it's still not on the U.S. site as a current vehicle. What a disgrace.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 20:52
Jeff wrote:
They just inserted it into the Fit RS Hybrid. Honestly, the ILX Hybrid should have had at least 170-180hp, though. An R20 IMA could have gotten it there maybe.

Yea, I did say 'a bit', hah. But a R20 IMA would've meant a new design that would be sticking around only for just a few years? Copy paste the CRZ 1.5 IMA would be quicker and look better over the Civic's 1.3 for that few yearss..
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 22:57
Finally
http://www.acura.com/Pricing.aspx?model=ILX
AcrA6spdMT
Profile for AcrA6spdMT
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 23:04
i must admit, the pictures in the gallery make it look really nice
one of the best looking acuras in a long while :D
reminds me a lot of first gen tsx... its a shame it doesnt carry the same spirit
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 23:35
I'm surprised. The ILX actually looks really good. I still won't even consider it with the carryover engine choices. Better luck next time Acura.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 23:38
according2kev wrote:
Finally
http://www.acura.com/Pricing.aspx?model=ILX

I was actually running against URL's like that earlier today figuring they had the pages stowed but not displayed, but nope...
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-24-2012 23:38
I wish we can use Photoshop in real life.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 00:15
BachelorFrog wrote:

Tell me about it! ;-) And I see that they are still chopping the front overhang on the straight side shots.

Anyways, I just built a white w/black ILX 2.0 premium adding side skirts only=

$30,745 +$895 destination.

Yeah, good luck with that....
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 00:35
Just wanted to add that having seen all the ILX colors in person except the white, the Amber Brownstone is a real nice color (nice girl, too).

The red and blue are not at all as bright as shown online. The blue is pretty dark and stately. And some 18s would be nice.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 01:34
Neal wrote:
BachelorFrog wrote:

Tell me about it! ;-) And I see that they are still chopping the front overhang on the straight side shots.

Give it less than a year or so and Acura will be discounting the ILX almost as much as they are the RL and ZDX (percentage wise not dollars) They still haven't learned that you can't just plug a product into a certain price point then expect it to be a success. Haven't they learned anything from their failures?
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 04:30
FiSH-Chan wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Yea, I did say 'a bit', hah. But a R20 IMA would've meant a new design that would be sticking around only for just a few years? Copy paste the CRZ 1.5 IMA would be quicker and look better over the Civic's 1.3 for that few yearss..

I sure hope you realize that both the Civic and the ILX have an L15 (1.5L) gas engine...

Btw, I was sure among those dissapointed not to have found the CR-Z drivetrain on the ILX (as you can read in some of my posts). That said, when thinking about Honda's rationale, here are the bits that come to my mind:
1) I think it's pretty clear that Honda didn't want to spend any more money in the current IMA tech (Advanced IMA is coming next year, and all current gas engines will start to be phased out starting this fall). Long ago the ILX was known to be "the last IMA".
2) Obviously putting the Civic's drivetrain in the Civic plank is easier/cheaper than bringing something from the Fit plank. Having a car like the ILX already represents a refreshing effort from Honda (they could have simply made a SuperCivicEX), but that only makes sense if you build it without crazy efforts.
3) As much as I love my CR-Z drivetrain I do realize it remains rather underpowered for US tastes. Now, if people find that underpowered for the tiny 2-seater, what would those buying an Acura sedan find it?
4) So in the end offering that drivetrain wouldn't have attracted those seeking a sporty-drive, would have costed more, and would have delivered worst fuel economy (which at that performance level is likely to more important for potential buyers).
5) Finally, I've never had the opportunity to try it, but based on the feel of the L15 IMA on JDM's Freed (with NiMH batteries and a smaller Emotor), I'd be very surprised if the HCH3/ILX drivetrain delivered worst performance than the CR-Z in the low-mid rev range, which is where ILX Hybrid buyers will drive it anyway.

PS: Do not jump on me, 'cause I've said countless times I'd wished to get an ILX hybrid around 150Hp with a 6MT and CR-Z's 3-mode drive. I'm just trying to find "Honda's reasoning" here.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 04:53
Torque wrote:
Neal wrote:
BachelorFrog wrote:

Give it less than a year or so and Acura will be discounting the ILX almost as much as they are the RL and ZDX (percentage wise not dollars) They still haven't learned that you can't just plug a product into a certain price point then expect it to be a success. Haven't they learned anything from their failures?

Well, let's see it first shall we, as It's a bit premature to call the ILX a failure at this moment. It's a failure from technical point of view, but considering technicalities aren't the intended target market forte (BMW 1 series driving wheel conundrum) and combined with new product euphoria, we need at the very least wait 1 quarter or maybe 6 months for accurate portrayal on how it will perform.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: ILX on acura.com    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 10:06
Is there just possibly a packaging reason why there is no 2.4 auto - ie the auto tranny is bigger and just won't fit without major alterations to the civic platform? Just pondering. No-one has come up with a logical reason for its absence - apart from protecting TSX sales, with is barmy.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: ILX on acura.com - Pricing    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 10:47
Hope the lease rates come down or Acura could have a problem.

Current lease rates in my area are lower for a 2012 TSX Auto than a comparable ILX w/Premium Auto.

2012 TSX Auto: $299/mo for 36mo, $1999.down

2013 ILX Prem Auto: $299 for 39mo, $3399. down
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: ILX on acura.com - Pricing    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 10:55
98EX4cyl wrote:
Hope the lease rates come down or Acura could have a problem.

Current lease rates in my area are lower for a 2012 TSX Auto than a comparable ILX w/Premium Auto.

2012 TSX Auto: $299/mo for 36mo, $1999.down

2013 ILX Prem Auto: $299 for 39mo, $3399. down

If anyone was interested in scooping up a new TSX, now would be a good time. Most dealerships are making deals on them.
AcrA6spdMT
Profile for AcrA6spdMT
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2012 22:29
I think it looks very nice when you actually see it in person
the aero kit, lip wing and rims look decent enough
can't wait to see what it looks like dropped 1.5-2 inches with larger 18 inch rims like volks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOK7UUv5yXY&feature=g-u-u
mobis21
Profile for mobis21
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2012 09:34
AcrA6spdMT wrote:
can't wait to see what it looks like dropped 1.5-2 inches with larger 18 inch rims like volks

I think that lower body kit looks like the awful kit you see on Toyota Corollas. Would defiantly NOT want that on my car.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2012 09:59
danielgr wrote:
FiSH-Chan wrote:
....the CRZ 1.5 IMA would be quicker and look better over the Civic's 1.3 for that few yearss..
I sure hope you realize that both the Civic and the ILX have an L15 (1.5L) gas engine...

Yes, that was a mistake. I kept thinking about the 8th gen HCH instead.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2012 12:59
AcrA6spdMT wrote:

Looks good. Just wondering about some things, does the alert chime and lighting control stalks really is new for an Acura? For the alert chime, it's quite different... I just had a back to back youtube session with Odyssey and Pilot walkaround video review, the alert chime is the same, and I thought the Acura would also have the same chime for saving some money.

Engine, suspension, chassis, interior and subjectively gorgeous design, the 5K+ premium is warranted over the Civic. The power plenum up close on the ILX is very well done, personally I found it to be the best execution of the shield concept. Maybe because this car is an Acura and not a rebadged Honda, the design can seamlessly integrate the plenum.

Again I'm saying it, the design of the car is both premium and aggressive, would be heck of shame if the car doesn't get a hotter variant... Perhaps K24 with LSD if the bean counter gods is pleased enough with the sellout number. Maybe if we sacrifice a virgin or two they will roll out the special K23 turbo edition...
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2012 11:48
Green Car Reports
Entry level, luxury, and hybrid are three words that aren't often said together, so the ILX comes out of the gate with a unique angle. The question, as ever, is whether it can live up to its promise. The answer, for the most part, is yes.

That said, the other 95 percent of the time, the ILX is essentially a transparently hybrid near-luxury sedan. The accommodations are nice, if not quite plush, with nice leathers, quality plastics, and good build quality--small gaps, no rattles or squeaks, and a general sense of solidity. It's a nice little car.

The ILX even handles pretty well, its inherent tendency toward lightness and a comfortable yet well-damped suspension delivering driving feel that's more engaging than many other affordable hybrids.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2012 17:31
That didn't sound too bad, right?

The 2013 Acura ILX is, ultimately, a compromised car in not just one aspect, but many. Whether those compromises work for your purposes depends on how much efficiency you're willing to sacrifice for comfort, how much acceleration and passing power your driving environment requires, and what your idea of image and aesthetics finds attractive.

For us, however, the ILX Hybrid leaves a bit too much on the table without offering enough value in other areas.
Mr. Taggart
Profile for Mr. Taggart
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2012 17:59
TSX69 wrote:
Green Car Reports
Entry level, luxury, and hybrid are three words that aren't often said together, so the ILX comes out of the gate with a unique angle. The question, as ever, is whether it can live up to its promise. The answer, for the most part, is yes.

That said, the other 95 percent of the time, the ILX is essentially a transparently hybrid near-luxury sedan. The accommodations are nice, if not quite plush, with nice leathers, quality plastics, and good build quality--small gaps, no rattles or squeaks, and a general sense of solidity. It's a nice little car.

The ILX even handles pretty well, its inherent tendency toward lightness and a comfortable yet well-damped suspension delivering driving feel that's more engaging than many other affordable hybrids.

Who wrote this article Joe Biden or one of his handlers? This is like his "three letter word" Jobs.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0