[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: AWD in RDX/2015 and Forester/2015
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord LX or Sport - Canada
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: WTF!? Honda AXES Euro ACCORD
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX SH-AWD Quick Review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX(CLX)Coupe
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Announces $25,900 Starting Price for 2013 ILX > > Re: Acura ILX Driving impressions

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

87Legend
Profile for 87Legend
Acura ILX Driving impressions [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2012 16:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
(Wasn't this supposed to be embargoed? Looks like someone didn't get the memo)

Without further ado, letís move on to the driving impressions.

III. On the Road -- Impressions for Each Variant

Handling is a perennial strength for Acura, and the ILX is no exception. It features sporty handling. Unfortunately the base model does not feel very sporty, due to the sluggish acceleration -- the model feels underpowered in "drive".

Sport Mode, however, breathes some life into the otherwise boring 5-speed and accentuates the handling, which is very good, as seen in the shots taking below as the vehicle hurdled down dusty desert mountain highways.

Acura seriously needs to to a six-speed to improve the ILX's performance and fuel economy.

Evidence of this can be found in the 6-speed manual, which is, in a word, "fun". All the promises that fell short in the base model are mostly fulfilled in the manual. While this variant sadly can't get the technology package, it does offer a much improved driving experienced.

Of course, Acura says that manuals only account for a tiny percentage of purchases -- 3 to 4 percent of purchases was one unofficial estimate I heard bandied about -- so that could explain why the manual (sadly) isn't getting the tech package.

The hybrid variant lived up to the estimated fuel economy. Driving it conservatively on a mix of highway/city, I averaged around 39 mpg.

At the end of the trip I decided to have a bit of fun and test the hybrid's power. Unsurprisingly, the low horsepower motor struggled, but it didn't really feel that much more underpowered than base 2.0L non-hybrid version. And given that I expect hybrids to feel somewhat underpowered, I didn't really have any complaints performance-wise.

While the Lexus 200h and third generation Prius beat the Civic/ILX hybrid in horsepower, I find that the Honda vehicles don't feel noticeably less powerful. Perhaps this has something to do with the torque delivered at various RPMs, but whatever the reason, the ILX Hybrid and Lexus 200h feel roughly equivalent power-wise despite the on-paper spec favoring Toyota.

http://www.dailytech.com/Driving+Impressions+2013+Acura+ILX+Base+Manual+and+Hybrid/article24511.htm

adrianchew
Profile for adrianchew
Re: Acura ILX Driving impressions [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2012 17:04
Reason the hybrid doesn't feel that much slower than the R20 is because the R20 is SLOWWWWW...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120420/CARNEWS/120429987?utm_source=DailyDrive20120420&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article4&utm_content=20120420-2013_Acura_ILX__Drive_review&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

0-60 MPH: 9.6 sec (mfr)

^ That is just TERRIBLE. Truly absolutely pathetic. A car in this category has got to make at least low 8s in the fuel economy special model. Any Accord I4 is going to blow by the ILX even. Even the new CR-V does a couple tenths faster!
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Acura ILX Driving impressions [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2012 19:19
I expect slightly better times for the 0-60 run. Something I seem to notice is that manufacturers are a bit modest with these numbers in many cases. The mags always seem to get better numbers but I guess it depends on the launch.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Acura ILX Driving impressions [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2012 01:40
I don't have the numbers handy, but I believe we got around a 6.8 in the AWD RSX (for comparison).