[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda Grace Hybrid to be launched in Japan
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Official TLX I4 0 - 60 test
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic Type R Promo
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2016 RLX MMC?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT COTY Contender: Honda Fit
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rolled's dream car
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: its been a year...
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future of sports cars
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Honda Grace (JDM City hybrid) website is up
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: SUV for Rough urban roads?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 United States Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda Announces Mid-term Business Strategy for China > > Re: Cultural question

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

NealX
Profile for NealX
Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 11:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
How are relations between the Japanese and Chinese? Their pasts don't seem that harmonious and they are proud people. So is this "all business" then?

I have no idea. I'm asking from my little 1280 x 1024 window of the Western World...

Last edited by NealX on 04-10-2012 11:58
Kongming
Profile for Kongming
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 13:54
Well, I know this might get too political here but whatever. I'll try and explain why some Chinese and Koreans feel animosity against Japan through the experiences of my grandmother, which she shared with me before she passed away a few years ago.

Ever since my late grandmother told me about her personal experiences about when the Japanese invaded her country, I've wanted to find out all the information I could about what happened. I was born and bred in N. America, and have no ties with China besides my heritage.

I did my research out of interest, respect and because I was very close to my grandmother.

I wanted to know the nature what happened, because nearly 60 years after the events, she would still have tears about what happened. When they ransacked her village, going door to door, the Japanese soldiers killed her father. And as a small child at the time, and out of sheer luck, she was able to hide under the beds and avoid being submitted to rape like her mother and her sisters.

Japan, for some unknown reason, (pride, shame, bushido, samurai code, whatever) still haven't truly apologized for their actions when they invaded China and Korea in WW2. And **at times** they have even tried to downplay, deny, or obscure the details of what happened through subtle forms of revisionism. They simply haven't apologized and admitted wrong, and done the right things like Germany has. This is one reason why the issue so devastating to many Chinese and Korean people.

Besides mass rape and murder, many of the wartime atrocities committed were just absolutely sickening and really makes you rethink this whole "humanity" thing...

They had this biological/chemical warfare unit called Unit 731. Like I'm talkin' vivisections, amputations, lobotomys, all on living people and also infecting people with deadly diseases, ALL just to see what would happen.

Through those kinds of actions, they completely debased Chinese/Korean people as fellow human beings. And that is another major reason for the animosity.

Denying what happened during the invasion and occupation, to Chinese and Korean people, is the equivalent of Holocaust denial. It's a heartbreaking insult to the victims and surviving families of the victims of the atrocities and tragedies.

And you must understand the history. The Chinese have been invaded for centuries by many different foreign nations and have been humiliated over and over again. It's no wonder the country is as it is today, trying to get as strong as they can, and not wanting to take crap from nobody from now on.

I've had some people say to me, "oh, it happened so long ago, you should just forget about what happened." Personally, that's like telling a Jewish person to forget about the Holocaust.

I am not trying to purposely paint Japan in a bad way, but rather try and describe why people are so intense about this subject.

I mean I love Japan. Japan has a neat/cool culture, and awesome cars and electronics.

But I'll never forget as long as I live. I hope now you might have a better understanding of why some Chinese and Koreans feel the way they do.

Kongming
Profile for Kongming
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 13:55
Sorry for the formatting of my reply, something went really wrong there.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 14:29
Thanks for sharing. That was a moving account...
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 14:32
Neal wrote:
Thanks for sharing. That was a moving account...

Maybe you should freeze this thread.
Ganplosive
Profile for Ganplosive
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 15:05
+1 KongMing, that's what happened in history and to this day Japan is still denying those facts, and ignoring the massive amounts of human bodies being dug up when attempting to build new towers.

And it's true, to this day many Chinese people still feel anger towards Japanese people, especially in tier 2 and tier 3 cities. Staying in Beijing as an American, there are times where even I was accused of being Japanese (run-in with the bouncers at clubs), and all in all underneath the veil of professionalism and politics, the general feelings of the Chinese towards the Japanese is not-very-fond.

However, fast forward a little bit to Post-modern China, starting around 1980. The Chinese know that economically, Japan was the largest market in Asia and a source of many, many technological advances as the first country to westernize. Polls were conducted by marketing firms every now and then, asking the Chinese people what they think of the Japanese and the #1 selected choice was: High-tech reliable products, followed by innovative / courteous, business-like, and then war-crimes. The new generation of Chinese, those born after the 70's and 80's, are now coming into age and their perceptions of the Japanese are slowly becoming what they've experienced when dealing with Japanese businessmen in the country, instead of Japanese soldiers their grandparents faced. Granted, the dynamic relationship between Japan and her neighbors are quite... complex. It is the same as the relationship between Germany and her neighbors - Europeans are buying BMW's Mercedes Benzs and other German products with little regard to what happened in two little incidences known as WWI and WWII (kidding). They simply make good products.

Today, Japanese products still earn a very high reputation amongst the Chinese. For a while back, people just didn't buy them, just as Americans refused to purchase Japanese productions post-war. But today, hardly any Americans refuse to use Japanese products for the sake of them being Japanese. The biggest hurdle the Japanese face in the Chinese market is actually the fact that they're expensive, and out of reach for most of Chinese consumers.

All that being said, Japanese cars sell very well in China. They're known to be reliable, fairly well-designed, and do carry an import tax which places them in price and prestige above the local brands, at least in tier-1 cities such as Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, etc. Furthermore, the relationship is also a little complex because:

1. The Chinese started requiring foreigners to set up shop in China, or set-up a joint venture with a Chinese firm (to learn secrets, many accuse)

2. It's a unspoken fact that Japanese cars made in China suffer from quality control and are made from inferior materials.

3. The Chinese market almost mimics the American market in that the most common mid-size vehicles are still the Accord (U.S), Altima, and Camry.

American vehicles do enjoy a level of prestige, we're talking Buicks, Cadillacs, and Lincolns, even Chevrolets.

Oh, and Acura is branded an American Luxury company in China, rather than Japanese. Fitting because Japan has no Acura.
Longhorn
Profile for Longhorn
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 16:50
I have alot friends who are of Korean descent (alot of Koreans in Central Texas,be it in Austin or Killeen/Ft.Hood area), and they feel the same way toward Japan. The Koreans cheer on Samsung and LG charging to the forefront of Flat screens leaving Sony, Sharp,Panasonic and Pioneer wandering what just happened.

The Koreans are justly proud of the advances of Hyundai and Kia in the US auto market. Why? for the same reasons as Kongming stated. Very long memories and alot of pride can go a long way in regards to motivation.

Thats why the fear Toyota and Honda have of the Korean auto companies are justified. They know the Koreans are not just content to be in the game. The Koreans had a plan to work and are now working their plan.
_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 19:08
I wonder if Britain apologized for Opium Wars.

That must caused much more damage to the China, some historians reported that half population were opium addicts.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Cultural question [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 19:34
Thanks for the insight, everyone.
nm

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0