[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic Tourer - Facelift Spied
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: Peeling away the onion........

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 08:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As I am probing my source, I am starting to get a bit more info on the Civic. It seems that there will be some changes to the outside, a bit more then minor. Specifically to the trunk area. Now, again, a leak can always be mushy information, but this sounded pretty good. There will be a noticeable change to the front and there is supposed to be a side change, but not changing the overall shape of the car.........

We have talked about the inside changes, the possible sliding cup holder, nicer center stack, softer smoother dash and door material and better feeling seat fabric. Along with 16 inch wheels and a better tire on the LX and the possible addition of Bluetooth on the LX. One thing I also heard was a more solid sounding door.......they were not satisfied with the way the door sounded when it closed, so they are trying to change that sound to make it sound more solid and feel heavier.......

Again, this is from a source, they are not always correct. But this sounds on the money to me so I figured I would post it.
CarGuyLee
Profile for CarGuyLee
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 09:22
I don't remember for sure what was discussed in past threads, but are we suppose to see some elements of Earth Dreams appear as well?

Can't wait to see the changes!
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 09:49
CarGuyLee wrote:
I don't remember for sure what was discussed in past threads, but are we suppose to see some elements of Earth Dreams appear as well?

I heard talk about the CVT, but that is not a 100%.......I asked and that was not answered........but another inside Honda person I talked to has said that if they put the new CVT in the Civic Hybrid it would boost the MPG to 50MPG and the gas Civic to the low 40's......But I think that will happen in the true MMC.......
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 10:55
HONDA AFVM wrote:
As I am probing my source, I am starting to get a bit more info on the Civic. It seems that there will be some changes to the outside, a bit more then minor. Specifically to the trunk area. Now, again, a leak can always be mushy information, but this sounded pretty good. There will be a noticeable change to the front and there is supposed to be a side change, but not changing the overall shape of the car.........

We have talked about the inside changes, the possible sliding cup holder, nicer center stack, softer smoother dash and door material and better feeling seat fabric. Along with 16 inch wheels and a better tire on the LX and the possible addition of Bluetooth on the LX. One thing I also heard was a more solid sounding door.......they were not satisfied with the way the door sounded when it closed, so they are trying to change that sound to make it sound more solid and feel heavier.......

Again, this is from a source, they are not always correct. But this sounds on the money to me so I figured I would post it.

I am not sure if I will be able to stomach the K24 in the Si, but if these changes are extremely positive, it can very well alter my opinion of the car. I hope they address the ugly window arrangement in some way as well, but in the end, I think the interior is most important right now.
evped
Profile for evped
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 11:53
Is the refresh still on target for August? This is important to people who don't want to buy the 2012 right before the 2013 changes. Instant devaluation.
JeffreynLA
Profile for JeffreynLA
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 12:02
Andrew, thanks for the info! Do you know if these changes are still planned for Dec 2012 as for the 2013 model year?
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 12:22
I have heard pretty much the same Andrew as far as the outside is concerned.

Bluetooth in the LX has to happen - it`s always had it in Canada. They have already increased the amount of sound deadening in the LX too. Early stock had no hood liner - now they do.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 13:06
Thanks Andrew!
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 15:36
JeffreynLA wrote:
Andrew, thanks for the info! Do you know if these changes are still planned for Dec 2012 as for the 2013 model year?

As far as I know it will roll out as a 2013 in Fall, when "Fall" is to Honda is could be from 21 Sep to 21 Dec...........No final word on that.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 17:08
HONDA AFVM wrote:

WOW! NO MENTION OF THE FREAKING PLASTIC TRIPLE WINDOW A-PILLAR MESS?

I guess Honda truly is lost at the moment and dont know if they are coming or going.
BlackSeries
Profile for BlackSeries
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 17:25
What about manu-matic mode? I freaking want that.
Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 18:31
BlackSeries wrote:

What about the Accord? Any new news on it? That's the one I wanna know more about!
iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 19:05
HONDA AFVM wrote:
CarGuyLee wrote:

I heard talk about the CVT, but that is not a 100%.......I asked and that was not answered........but another inside Honda person I talked to has said that if they put the new CVT in the Civic Hybrid it would boost the MPG to 50MPG and the gas Civic to the low 40's......But I think that will happen in the true MMC.......

I think it also depends somewhat on the life-cycle of this Civic. A classic 5 Model Year cycle would mean a "true" MMC for MY2015, with the FMC being for MY2017. The Civic has had both shorter and longer life cycles than 5 years...and a four year cycle makes some sense because of CAFE regulations that kick in for 2016. If they do all the work you're saying for MY2013 and include the ED CVT then that car should be competitive through MY2014 and MY2015 and then a complete FMC for MY2016 could include all sorts of new stuff. By then the Earth Dreams Tech would be all over the market...

And the Civic, just by looking at real world numbers and fuelly.com and stuff...it doesn't really need to be any more fuel efficient right now, it just needs one more mpg so they can advertise 40 mpg. It sounds like, from reading the Earth Dreams literature and Jeff's brief impressions, the CVT would go a long way towards making the car more fun to drive while also giving it that extra mpg...Honda might slowly roll it out though - starting with the Hybrid and HF for MY2013, then the whole lineup for MY2014 or something like that.

Also, to DCR's point in another thread...mechanical changes make the media really happy and if all Honda does is cosmetic changes then the media will just wonder aloud why Honda did all this stuff but then didn't update the old 5AT and talk about how the car is somewhat held back by the transmission. DCR is right, if they are going to make changes to the car, then the changes should make the Civic the obvious choice in the segment.
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 21:03
Powered by Honda wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
there is supposed to be a side change, but not changing the overall shape of the car

WOW! NO MENTION OF THE FREAKING PLASTIC TRIPLE WINDOW A-PILLAR MESS?

Sounds like a possible mention right there.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 21:56
Where the ILX has the mirrors would be fine.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 22:00
iutodd wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
CarGuyLee wrote:

I think it also depends somewhat on the life-cycle of this Civic. A classic 5 Model Year cycle would mean a "true" MMC for MY2015, with the FMC being for MY2017. The Civic has had both shorter and longer life cycles than 5 years...and a four year cycle makes some sense because of CAFE regulations that kick in for 2016. If they do all the work you're saying for MY2013 and include the ED CVT then that car should be competitive through MY2014 and MY2015 and then a complete FMC for MY2016 could include all sorts of new stuff. By then the Earth Dreams Tech would be all over the market...

And the Civic, just by looking at real world numbers and fuelly.com and stuff...it doesn't really need to be any more fuel efficient right now, it just needs one more mpg so they can advertise 40 mpg. It sounds like, from reading the Earth Dreams literature and Jeff's brief impressions, the CVT would go a long way towards making the car more fun to drive while also giving it that extra mpg...Honda might slowly roll it out though - starting with the Hybrid and HF for MY2013, then the whole lineup for MY2014 or something like that.

Also, to DCR's point in another thread...mechanical changes make the media really happy and if all Honda does is cosmetic changes then the media will just wonder aloud why Honda did all this stuff but then didn't update the old 5AT and talk about how the car is somewhat held back by the transmission. DCR is right, if they are going to make changes to the car, then the changes should make the Civic the obvious choice in the segment.

I don't disagree with you, but all I am saying is I got silence when I asked the question, so it could be anything. We could see it in MY 2013 or like you said, on the Hybrid and HF 1st......I think it would be smart if they put it in the Hybrid, and I wouldn't be shocked if they did put it in there in 2013, ..........but don't expect anything..........and be ready for nothing, but be happy with what ever they do.........then SELL IT! ......funny, that is what i was told once..........it's funny how engineers see things........
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 22:17
I think Honda can snap out of this, and I think all of the negative swirling about has caused them to at least look in the mirror. If the 9th Gen Civic proves anything to Honda, is that they really can have their cake and eat it too, if they just cater to their loyal fans AND the newcomers at the same time. It is possible, and they really could have done it this time with the correct packaging.

I know I do not speak for only myself when I say...a redline goes one hell of a long way around here.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2012 07:00
Rgist85 wrote:
BlackSeries wrote:

What about the Accord? Any new news on it? That's the one I wanna know more about!

We have covered a lot of it here, plus there is power train news on TOV.........Mid May to Mid June we should start seeing PIX from Brenda.........
mobis21
Profile for mobis21
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2012 09:04
HONDA AFVM wrote:

One thing about the Civic Dash that bothers me is the four random air vents on the dash. It needs more symmetry.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2012 10:52
mobis21 wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

One thing about the Civic Dash that bothers me is the four random air vents on the dash. It needs more symmetry.

My biggest problem is the bottom where the AUX and Power out let is, that black empty space with 2 holes cut out in it and they jammed in an AUX and Power outlet in there. It looks like something Best Buy did.......WTF were they thinking.......I mean if ANY OF US went into that design studio after the model was complete, we would have tore the car to shreds just with the center stack alone. I really don't have a problem with the drive, engine or the dash, but the materials used........Come on.......The plastics......I have seen better in a bottom line Ford.......
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2012 16:14
Well, the Civic got 47 mpg in CR highway testing with the R18 and the 5AT.

I'll be in the market for a new car hopefully before 2015 and assuming nothing groundbreaking happens, it's between a Prius C or a Earthdreams Civic (especially an HF if they would make one)

With the way gas prices are going, the Earthdreams Civic is the only pure ICE car I could imagine that might nip at the heels of the Prius C's mileage figures.
hondadude
Profile for hondadude
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2012 19:28
The Earth Dreams Technology (all new engines & CVT) will be gamechangers for Honda. Very exciting stuff and I can't wait!
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2012 12:29
hondadude wrote:
The Earth Dreams Technology (all new engines & CVT) will be gamechangers for Honda. Very exciting stuff and I can't wait!

The only thing is you will never get the "combined" MPG of a Hybrid from an IC only engine..........A Prius "C" is close to 50MPG combines, where even the BEST IC, earth Dreams or not can't make it over 32,36MPG..........I will take a Civic Hybrid over a Prius "C" any day of the week, it looks better, handles better and the ride is better and I don't have to drive the Prius to know that...........
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2012 22:26
HONDA AFVM wrote:
mobis21 wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

My biggest problem is the bottom where the AUX and Power out let is, that black empty space with 2 holes cut out in it and they jammed in an AUX and Power outlet in there. It looks like something Best Buy did.......WTF were they thinking.......I mean if ANY OF US went into that design studio after the model was complete, we would have tore the car to shreds just with the center stack alone. I really don't have a problem with the drive, engine or the dash, but the materials used........Come on.......The plastics......I have seen better in a bottom line Ford.......

You forgot the nasty heated seat switches and their placement too. I mean did any designer even get involved? So nicely done on the last gen and that was an after thought
as earlier civics didnt even have leather (oh well maybe in America they did, so forget that).
Tigerriot
Profile for Tigerriot
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 11:19
For me to buy this Civic the rear end will have to revised. I just could not accept it the way it is.

Other areas need work, but that is the standout flaw for me.
giltibo
Profile for giltibo
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 16:08
Production of new model year Civics usually start in the first week of September so I guess that's what we should expect...
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 16:26
giltibo wrote:
Production of new model year Civics usually start in the first week of September so I guess that's what we should expect...

The changes will be noticeable and well done.......
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 16:45
HONDA AFVM wrote:
giltibo wrote:

Are you privy to what the refresh looks like? Is the interior up to snuff now?
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 19:32
Torque wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
giltibo wrote:

Yes and yes......according to what I think....my understanding is that it will be enough of a change to be noticeable, but not insult the people that bought a 2012, but the people who complained should be happy......It's a thin line they have to walk........
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Peeling away the onion........    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 10:24
Sounds like a step in the right direction, looking forward to seeing the 2013 improvements. Would love to see ED powertrain too, but I'm certain 2012 owners would be insulted if that occured in addtion to the improvements HondaAFVM noted.

HONDA AFVM wrote:
Torque wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
giltibo wrote:

Yes and yes......according to what I think....my understanding is that it will be enough of a change to be noticeable, but not insult the people that bought a 2012, but the people who complained should be happy......It's a thin line they have to walk........

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy