[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Any rumors about Honda F1 engine progress?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: If there was a TLX Wagon
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura Style Magazine - Out of touch?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Some random NYIAS thoughts on auto interiors
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: latest CTR details - megane 275r 7:45 minutes
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: My review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Converting to HID lights in 13 or 14' Accord...
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: Acura NSX....How it's going to be sold in the US
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda FY14 production / JP sales
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 9th Generation Honda Accord Reviews
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Chinese Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 22:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have to say that this just another let down.

I still hold out for the day that I can pull my boat with my own compact Honda/Acura SUV.

Sadly, once again, we will be passing on another beautiful Honda/Acura product.

I guess this just is never going to change. I've been asking for 10 years now and still NOTHING. How do I provide feedback to them on this? Who do I write the letter to? Can anyone at TOV bridge the gap on this?

Here's the source of the bad news:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6551-en

Am I gonna go cry about it? Probably a tear or two. You mad bro? Very.

dootndo2
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 23:31
I just don't think that towing is very important in this class. I can understand the desire to have a higher towing capacity, but do most people want it? I doubt it.

SC
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 00:05
I guess 6spdtl has been gone for a few weeks. Otherwise, he would one again be extolling for us the virtues of his Ecoboost F-150 with its prodigious pulling power and decent fuel mileage.
:)
Mike Freitas
Profile for Mike Freitas
Is this correct or is this RDX Turbo specs??    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 00:09
This was posted in the spec chart:
Change with oil filter - 7 quarts (6.6 liters), and Weight Distribution (front/rear)

RDX (2WD) 59/41

RDX (2WD) w/ Tech Package 59/41

RDX (AWD) 57/43

RDX (SH-AWD) w/ Tech Package 57/43

As far as I know the new RDX 'DOES NOT' include a SH-AWD model... and last time I changed my oil in my TL it sure did not take 7 quarts of oil. Cut & paste perhaps ??

dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 01:55
notyper wrote:
I just don't think that towing is very important in this class. I can understand the desire to have a higher towing capacity, but do most people want it? I doubt it.

SC

You don't think it's important to who? As I have mentioned numerous times, many vehicles in this class offer a version of their product that can tow 2000 lbs or greater.

Audi Q5 - 4400 lbs
BMW X3 - 3500 lbs
Lexus RX - 3500 lbs
Infinity X35 AWD - 2000 lbs
Infinity X50 AWD - 3500 lbs
Cadillac SRX - 3500 lbs

Shall I go on?

dootndo2
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 02:45
dootndo2 wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

You don't think it's important to who? As I have mentioned numerous times, many vehicles in this class offer a version of their product that can tow 2000 lbs or greater.

Audi Q5 - 4400 lbs
BMW X3 - 3500 lbs
Lexus RX - 3500 lbs
Infinity X35 AWD - 2000 lbs
Infinity X50 AWD - 3500 lbs
Cadillac SRX - 3500 lbs

Shall I go on?

dootndo2

Human and a rickshaw - 1500 lbs.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 09:18
Add Rav4 V6 - 3500lbs

Not a direct competitor, but an alternative that tows more. Should be restyled soon too.
RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 09:37
Acura probably feels that if you want to tow just move up to a MDX. Even still, you'd think it could tow at least as well as a minivan, say 3000-3500lbs. Geeze!
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 10:34
But who tows with these CUVs?

I drive 30k miles a year lately and I've never seen any of these vehicles towing anything at all (nor the RAV4). I'm sure that some small percentage do tow occasionally, but just because something is offered, doesn't mean people are using it.

Would it be nice to have? Sure. But again, I don't think 99% of the buyers of these vehicles really care. It would be like me complaining I can't get a manual tranny in a minivan.

SC
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 13:26
Its still a CRV chassis, the extra pony's do not change its towing capacity.
Dream'R
Profile for Dream'R
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 14:02
I have noticed that in North America the rated towing capacity is often much less than for similar cars in Europe where this is considered an important factor. If I recall correctly there is a noticable difference with Honda models like the CR-V.

My guess is that Honda wants to avoid towing related liability and warranty claims. As most realize, towing places extra demands on the cooling system, A/T, and brakes. With hot weather, high speeds, and mountain grades these systems can be easily overtaxed. Trailer brakes become more important if the total load exceeds 2000#.

I'm reasonably sure that a driver who is aware of these factors could easily tow up to a 2000# load without problems. I have done so with an Accord rated for 1000# many times, by adjusting my driving to suit the conditions.
RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 15:05
I went from an Element to a Pilot becasue I needed to tow over 3500lbs. I choose not to go with the MDX becasue it was overkill for my needs and couldn't come to terms with the kids messing it up all the time.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 18:47
+1. I used to to 1000 lbs with a Chevy chevette. 62 HP, 4mt and possibly one of the ten worst cars ever made. I'm sure you could tow 3000 lbs with a CRV if u were careful. But liability is a big deal these days.

SC
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 23:42
notyper wrote:

I drive 30k miles a year lately and I've never seen any of these vehicles towing anything at all (nor the RAV4). I'm sure that some small percentage do tow occasionally, but just because something is offered, doesn't mean people are using it.

Would it be nice to have? Sure. But again, I don't think 99% of the buyers of these vehicles really care. It would be like me complaining I can't get a manual tranny in a minivan.

SC

i only drove a few thousand miles in the US, so it's funny you say that, because what I actually saw (and was surprised to see) are CUV's being towed, and not towing!

That said I also share the opinion of those saying those things are capable of much more, you simple won't be able to sue Honda if you have some problems with it.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 00:09
Very true Daniel. Saturn Vues and Ford Escapes seem to be very popular as tow-behind vehicles for the motorhome set. Also see the occasional Rav4 or CRV being dragged along as well.

SC
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 09:06
notyper wrote:
Very true Daniel. Saturn Vues and Ford Escapes seem to be very popular as tow-behind vehicles for the motorhome set. Also see the occasional Rav4 or CRV being dragged along as well.

SC
Indeed, here are a couple of examples for those peoepl from outside the US that would find this as incredible as I did myself:

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 10:19
notyper wrote:

SC

I have towed with my V6 RAV4 about 6 times in 4 years. It is interesting that the tow rating was one of the top 3 reasons I got the vehicle (or at least told my wife I think we should get it). I'd agree that an average CUVs are not towing rigs, but I would suggest they are perfect for pulling small boats, pop-ups, and smaller tear drops. No one is trading their Super Duty in for one of these, but in the case of the RAV is it actually a utility vehicle.

As an aside my tow prepped RAV4 came with an up-sized radiator fan and alternator, which at least the former is nice in Phoenix.

It is interesting that my parents 4-cylinder Outback is rated at 2700 lbs.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 11:28
So you're a 1 percenter, eh? :)

Seriously though, you're in a very small minority, and you chose one of the few CUVs with serious power to accomodate your needs. Given that the RDX is going to be about 2% of the CUV market and that such a small proportion of that market tows, you can see why it isn't a priority for Honda.

It's the same rationale they probably use to deny us proper sports cars and such, so I feel bad that I can accept their rationale. But then again, I don't think tow capacity for CUVs boost brand image and loyalty like sporting vehicles. Oh well.

SC
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 11:57
I get asked about it quite a lot by customers - but how many really intend to tow is debatable. Most want a tow hitch to put a bike rack on. and we have to go after market for that to get a full sized receiver (believe it or not half my CRV sales this month).

In Europe gasser CRV has a 1.5 tonne capacity, diesel 2 tons with braked trailer. can be had with trailer sway control. The absurdly low North American ratings (yep - I have seen bikes pulling that much I reckon in asia) is partly to encourage people to buy enormous vehicles that simply aren't available anyway in Europe, and partly due to liability. And before anyone says people dont drive the distances in Europe (which I might dispute anyway) Australia has the same ratings.

What amazes me is when you see the likes of Grand Cherokees or even Chevy Suburbans being towed behind motorhomes. And the driver only needs a regular licence....
kidoairaku
Profile for kidoairaku
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 11:59
If you've only towed 6 times in 4 years, would it not make more sense to rent a truck for this? I rent a minivan twice a year for vacations, extended family or moving.
I dont own one for the 325 other days of the year.
dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 12:48
A few points to make here.

1. I drive around 20,000 miles a year (currently). It is unrealistic to think that I am going to by a 8 passenger Pilot to drive that many miles by myself. I'm not convinced that I would honestly put anyone on that little jump seat. The most I would put in my vehicle would be 4 (5 tops). To go from 1500 to 4500 lbs in towing makes NO sense.
2. Only 1% of the people tow. If no one tows with these vehicles, then why do they offer an accessory tow package? Why go through all of the headache to pre-wire if NO one is going to do it? I used to tow my 96 Sea Rayder (1400 lbs) with my 02 CRV. It worked great. The majority of the new 14-15 foot jet boats are now more than 1500 lbs. Have snow mobiles? If I have the $55,000 to buy a ZDX and am an "Empty Nester", you can bet I've got some type of boat, motorcycle(s), snow mobiles, etc. Why not make is so that I can tow?
3. Rent a truck? This is actually what I used to do. It was very (in)convenient. The cost was about 120/day by the time you rent and re-fuel. Also, it takes time to drive to the rental facility, reserve the vehicle. The other major issue here is that most of these places will no longer let you tow with rental vehicles. U-Haul is the only one available and they charge by the hour.

For the record, my boat sits on a boat lift during the summer. I need a vehicle to get it to be serviced (to and from) generally 4-5 times a year. I'm not talking about cross country trip.

This just bugs me because I want a Honda/Acura CUV that can do this. How hard is it? I wish that they would give us a 5 passenger (thinking Element or CrossRoad) SUV (not CUV) that can do this? I was hoping that when the RDX moved up to a V6 that this was a possibility.

I am dissappointed.

dootndo2
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Is this correct or is this RDX Turbo specs??    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 13:16
Mike Freitas wrote:
This was posted in the spec chart:
Change with oil filter - 7 quarts (6.6 liters), and Weight Distribution (front/rear)

RDX (2WD) 59/41

RDX (2WD) w/ Tech Package 59/41

RDX (AWD) 57/43

RDX (SH-AWD) w/ Tech Package 57/43

As far as I know the new RDX 'DOES NOT' include a SH-AWD model... and last time I changed my oil in my TL it sure did not take 7 quarts of oil. Cut & paste perhaps ??

RDX is quite front heavy, but I guess it's normal for all Honda vehicles.
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 13:24
kidoairaku wrote:
If you've only towed 6 times in 4 years, would it not make more sense to rent a truck for this? I rent a minivan twice a year for vacations, extended family or moving.
I dont own one for the 325 other days of the year.

After I thought about it, 6 times did seem low. But then add the bike rack and it makes it a bit more important.

Also, I got the RAV in March of 08, right before the economy tanked. I had a few plans to use it for towing and camping some more than I have, but the money for a tear drop dried up. So with my original plans, I would have towed probably 15-20 times.

But I said towing was a top reason. Another top reason was the power. 269 hp in a family vehicle (we needed a family vehicle) seemed a good compromise between wanting something that can accelerate at a fun pace and get the family around was a selling point. We drive a lot from Phoenix to Flagstaff, LA, and San Diego and each of those trips involves a lot of mountains to pass and I didn't want to do that with a 4-banger. I'd say we've taken 20 vacations and quick getaways in the RAV and it has been perfect for that with 2-5 people and their luggage getting pulled up to Flagstaff. Phoenix to Flagstaff is about a 6000ft elevation change in 150 miles.

To your point about towing, it is well taken. The original plans didn't get implemented...yet. I am still planning (dreaming) on buying the tear drop in 2013-2014.
dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2012 01:33
notyper wrote:

SC

Well, I'm glad you asked. I will be loading images of CUVs towing.

Here are the first two:

Subaru Forrester:

Audi Q5

This is going to be easier than I thought.

dootndo2

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2012 05:42
danielgr wrote:

Wow! Now that is new to me as well
Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2012 09:11
looks like a Q7, not a Q5 BTW. Anyone got a double tow, seen it once, was crazy.

B.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2012 10:42
Didn't I say, "I'm sure there is some small percentage that tow occasionally"?

How many pictures can you find? After all, there are what, half a million (plus) of this class of vehicles sold every year? If a significant number of people were towing with these vehicles, you'd see someone doing it almost every day. In the US, people who tow tend to do it with bigger vehicles. I see full size trucks towing something every single day I get in my car. It just isn't a primary feature in the small CUV class.

Here's a better comparison. Take a picture of the back bumper of each of the first 100 CUVs you come across. I'll bet less than 5 have tow hitches.

SC
ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: Well, out with the baby and the bathwater. RDX Max Towing Capacity with V6 is still 1500 lbs!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2012 12:39
Okay, what I gather there's two schools of thought:

1. Acura already has a V6 and towing capability added to the RDX, why not go be serious and go all the way up to at least 3,500lb. At least offer it as an option.

2. Towing beyond 1,500lb is only requested by a very small segment which Acura doesn't believe is worth serving with its luxury CUV.

I tend to agree with #2.
Towing limitation for the RDX is limited by:
1. Suspension system. Tongue weight capacity is probably very low. Changing the standard suspension system would compromise handling & comfort when not towing.
2. radiator, brakes, transmission coolant. All which are not easily upgraded by the dealer & would be overkill (weight + cost) if it was standard.

I'm in the market for this RDX (or CRV) this fall, and towing is absolutely not on my mind. Cost, handling & comfort, weight (mpg) are among my top priorities.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy