[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Rendering: Fit Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TODAY IS MY LAST DAY IN MY 40'S.........
Join Discussion......
Civic --> 2016 Civic (all new 10th-generation)
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> 2001 Integra Type R parts!
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: TLX Steel wheels ?
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT 2015 Mustang review
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Where are the sport hybrids???
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Singapore Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2014 Paris Auto Show Surprises!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Truck more or less
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Silly little European engines
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda FCEV update
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 15:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Infiniti debuts new JX SUV

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 15:36
dominik331 wrote:

that's funny, it looks more like an Odyssey.
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 15:54

The side looks over-designed.

May be its just me, but I see a highlander in some angles (front part of the first photo).

Both head and tail lights are quite blande and un-inspiring.

The skewed c-pillar design does'nt look clean.

Infiniti's best designs are in the form of FX, G35 & G37. Everything else that we've seen (including this JX and the recent M) are pretty mediocre designs (in terms of exterior).

Personally, I think MDX still has the best looks in the segment (inspite of the controversial grill), followed by Q7 & X5.

Anyway, I'm curious to see JX's specs.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 16:31
auto_enthu wrote:

May be its just me, but I see a highlander in some angles (front part of the first photo).

Infiniti's best designs are in the form of FX, G35 & G37. Everything else that we've seen (including this JX and the recent M) are pretty mediocre designs (in terms of exterior).

Personally, I think MDX still has the best looks in the segment (inspite of the controversial grill), followed by Q7 & X5.

The MDX proves that Acura's design language CAN work when rendered in the proper proportions. Or at least close to "proper". If the TL's wheelbase/length ratio were much better, I think the general opinion of its styling would be much better. People have blamed the Acura stylists a lot - I think they have generally had good ideas (the original concept sketch for the '09 TL looks awesome) but have not had the appropriate platforms to realize their dreams. So maybe what the stylists are most guilty of is trying to force their look onto a platform that can't carry it off. Not that they have had much choice...

The TL, ZDX, and RDX are the 3 key offenders here and Acura has paid a dear price for their tight-fisted platform approach.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 17:47
I like to think MDX people and JX people are distinctly different...
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 17:50
Jeff wrote:
dominik331 wrote:

I thought it was the new Hyundai Santa Fe!
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 18:36
Neal wrote:
Jeff wrote:
dominik331 wrote:

I thought it was the new Hyundai Santa Fe!

The gas tank filler cap is in an ackward location and I do believe this will be the only Infiniti in the current lineup with the filler on the drivers side
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 19:49
Jeff wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:

The MDX proves that Acura's design language CAN work when rendered in the proper proportions. Or at least close to "proper". If the TL's wheelbase/length ratio were much better, I think the general opinion of its styling would be much better. People have blamed the Acura stylists a lot - I think they have generally had good ideas (the original concept sketch for the '09 TL looks awesome) but have not had the appropriate platforms to realize their dreams. So maybe what the stylists are most guilty of is trying to force their look onto a platform that can't carry it off. Not that they have had much choice...
The TL, ZDX, and RDX are the 3 key offenders here and Acura has paid a dear price for their tight-fisted platform approach.

Good points Jeff, However is it true to say that the MDX shares the same design language as the TL other than a forced on grille.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 20:51
^^^ Welp, it's not the elements themselves but rather the scale they are used - that's the problem.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 21:24

It looks like not only Honda has bad PR photos..
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 21:27
Save the front (common to other new Infinitis, which I still can't get along with), it looks pretty nice to me. Certainly a great improvement over anything Nissan has previously done to compete with the MDX (it also looks rather big and roomy).
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 23:27
I actually kinda like the front. The side scallop is alright. The rest of it looks pretty pedestrian though. The sharply bent c-pillar (or is it D?) looks gimmicky to me.

Of course, compared to the QX56, it looks positively beautiful. That thing is weird looking.

SC
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2011 23:37
notyper wrote:
I actually kinda like the front. The side scallop is alright. The rest of it looks pretty pedestrian though. The sharply bent c-pillar (or is it D?) looks gimmicky to me.

Of course, compared to the QX56, it looks positively beautiful. That thing is weird looking.

SC

I would agree on the sharply bent D pillar, but have you seen a full front view of this car? (these pics are rather flattering but they do avoid that particular view I'm referring to)
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2011 00:37
Yeah, I have seen it. From dead ahead, it loses some of the curvature that is attractive, but besides being less interesting from that angle, it doesn't bother me at all. And when you deviate just a few degrees from dead ahead, the curves and depth look pretty nice to my eyes.

SC
Inebriated Snake
Profile for Inebriated Snake
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2011 01:31
I kind of like it. The concave D-pillar it looks like nothing else out there, and is a good gambit if they can have the follow through to put it on more attractive and conventional sheetmetal. Without it, its very Buick Enclave-ish with its rounded and flowing form.

On the new M37 its like they chickened out at the last minute and softened the C/D-pillars look from the Essence concept.

GhOsT
Profile for GhOsT
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2011 08:38

A77
Profile for A77
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2011 10:32
Inside is Ok - forgettable. Outside is, I would say, approximately..hideous. Like most in this class. I think the GMC Acadia is one of the nicest thought out exteriors. Clean, simple. Range rover nicer still, but no 7 seats of course. Touareg another. Q7 ugly. just don`t like designs which try too hard - like this one. Both MDX and Pilot just need front end improvements.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2011 22:08
Looks like gatling style headlights are back,probally leds, which means Infiniti beat Acura to production.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2011 22:44
The upper line that runs along the profile, and in the door handles just dies at the end of the driver door. It is present further into the rear beyond the back door, so it would have looked better with a further terminate preceded by a bit of an arch carried by that line.

Outside of that...I don't know...this looks like a pretty attractive vehicle.
eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2011 05:19
side profile remind me of the BMW x1..
04EXV6
Profile for 04EXV6
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-22-2011 12:16
Thought it was a Subaru
Phil17
Profile for Phil17
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2011 12:22
I wonder how they're going to price this as the FX is already more expensive than the MDX. Maybe the next FX will be cheaper or something. I have to say though, save for the G, Infiniti's overall interior quality and material selection has become quite a bit higher level than those of comparible Acura's. It's pretty evident between the MDX/FX. While the MDX "looks good", dig a bit deeper and there are lots of misaligned panels and cheap materials throughout.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 20:09
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/27/2013-infiniti-jx-first-drive-review/
However, affluent families seeking an import luxury 7-passenger crossover without a traditional truck lineage have been forced to shop elsewhere. Many of Infiniti's missed opportunities end up holding keys to an Acura MDX, Audi Q7 or Volvo XC90. Aiming to close a gaping leak in its product range, Infiniti officially introduced the world to its all-new JX crossover at the Los Angeles Auto Show just a few months ago.

In the 7-passenger import luxury crossover segment, the aggressive pricing of the all-new JX undercuts the base price of the aged Acura MDX ($42,930) and elderly Audi Q7 ($46,250), but not the decade-old Volvo XC90 ($39,500). Optioned similarly, the Infiniti will still be the least expensive with the most equipment.

revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 21:20
pictures seem more like a long wagon in the vein of the discontinued mercedes r-class, than mdx, q7 competitor. So not a macho suv, but probably better riding at the expense of cornering and more comfortable in all three rows.

anyone have concept sketches of the 09 tl?

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 22:53
revvin wrote:

anyone have concept sketches of the 09 tl?

I'd love to see those as well...
Phil17
Profile for Phil17
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 09:30
This car should be a good seller. I'm not sold on the styling but with a functional 3rd row (the MDX 3rd row is a bit too small imo), a starting price that's $8K lower than the MDX here in canada, it's going to be interesting. :) I still can't get over how inexpensive this huge car is. It's $6K cheaper than my GLK which is probably not half the size of this. lol
Phil17
Profile for Phil17
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 09:34
$44K here in canada = $8k Cheaper than the MDX with a more usable 3rd row seat. Drivetrain wise the JX is pretty weak but given the demo target, It's sufficient. Going to be a good seller even though i personally think it looks ugly in pictures. Real life might be a diff story though.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 11:22
This thing looks a bit odd to me. The front view is particularly strange...there just seems to be so much dead space.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 23:11
Performance is going to be lacking on this thing (and yes, I'm comparing to the MDX). It's like the ILX of 3 row crossovers.
sickyute
Profile for sickyute
Re: New competition for the MDX- Infiniti JX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 11:48
no competition except for a sliding second row and more tech that I can do without.

I can attest to this because i was dead set on buying a JX at employee class E pricing through a family member which is a deep discount.

Test drove 4 times. No dealer had one to purchase but i was willing to wait because i liked the looks of it and inside was luxurious and it was a new vehicle and so on. Then i got frustrated because no dealership could come up with proper set numbers. They all said their figures could change once they get vehicles in and blah blah blah. I waited about 2 wks for something concrete to come in on a JX deal.

So then i decided to hell with it, go try out the MDX. I decided not to even try it at first because it's dated and i know an update is sooner than later. But with infiniti giving me a runaround i went to the Acura dealership which is literally 1 minute away from my house. (something is to be said that i overlooked acura and it was so close).

Anyway, long story short, I test drove it, got back to the dealership and bought it cash money (would have done the same with the JX). There is no comparison and i'd take the MDX any day over the JX.

if anything the JX feels aged or at least makes u feel aged when driving it. it floats, it has no character of any kind apart from it's looks.

MDX wins in sporting feel. Driving dynamics. everything except technology. I only wish it's second row could slide like the infiniti and thats it. anything else in terms of tech and features and the MDX is worlds ahead.

People will by the JX cuz its new and its a looker and infiniti. but I think anyone who cross shop these two and are looking for more than just a floating, glorified minivan will buy the MDX.

I would not have had this view if i didn't go out to treat drive the MDX. I was already set on the JX.

On a sude note i own a 2009 X5 4.4 V8 with the sport package, navi etc. The interior of the MDX feels exactly the same, quality, fit, finish, sportiness, materials etc. Driving dynamics very very close if not even better on the MDX in certain situations. Feel and tightness on the road much the same. Power wise on paper no comparison but the MDX doesn't leave much to be desired anyway and i'm more than happy with how it compares. That says a lot about this 47,000 mdx compared to a 70,000 x5.

i'm happy to sat the least. i can answer questions if anyone wants comparing the 2. mdx and jx

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0