[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
General Talk --> Re: Remote Windows-Open Feature
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Crosstour's next-generation enemy: 2015 Subaru Outback
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Beijing Auto Show updates...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Push button start SUCKS
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Mustang at 50
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: MK7 Golf Wagon
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Carscoop: Honda to Detail, But Won't Show New Compact SUV Based on JDM Vezel in New York
Join Discussion......
Civic --> slightly tweaked 2014 Euro Civic hatch
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: TLX details
Join Discussion......
Prelude --> Re: 2016 Honda Prelude for the American Market?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future Honda Small RWD Sports Car
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 07:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm not sure if he's just saying that so TSX sales don't plummet or if it's true, and if it's true, then what?
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120326/RETAIL03/303269988/1144/acura-shifts-its-focus-to-sensible-gen-y-shoppers
CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 09:56
Great! Having seen the TSX and ILX side by side at the Dallas Auto Show, I'd certainly keep the TSX. On size, power and perceived aggressiveness, the ILX just isn't there. Basically, it's a niftier Civic.

And my TSX won't be an orphan...
Mr. Taggart
Profile for Mr. Taggart
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 09:59
Read the article, once again the focus is on Gen Y, but like with scion, the Gen Y is not buying a lot of what car marketers think they will buy. You know its one thing to tell a focus group or survey what you want in you next car but the realities of life my change what you actually buy.

The article also stated that the Gen Yers were looking for text messaging in car. What happens when the gov't soon bans it as the nanny state is now posisitioning texting and driving (and talking and driving) as being as bad as drunk driving?

One interesting note was on the conquest and lost sales charts. Honda and Toyota lead both but I wond what that same chart looked like in 2007 before the economy dumped.
Longhorn
Profile for Longhorn
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 10:39
As I stated in another thread, the next TSX may be coupe. It was mentioned a couple of years ago a coupe was coming. TSX already has brand recognition, why throw it away. Make a coupe or four door coupe. Then it will not matter if it has the same interior space of the next TL.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 10:47
The article seems to just say that the intended market wants a car that looks cool and has cool features. Sorry, but the more I look at it the less cool it is, and even as an over 50 i think it looks old man car. The CSX SURELY had a more youthful appeal. |Its that bulbous nose and dodge Avengerish rear quarter.

Focus looks cooler and has way cooler features. anyways - hard for a sedan to look cool

So they have a load of pre orders for the RDX - no surprise there. is it revealing that there is no mention of ILX pre-orders?

I still doubt the TSX will last beyond the new TL's introduction. And to me the TSX has a sharper more youth appeal design - inside and out than the ILX. My son, I guess young gen y'er agrees. But neither appeals particularly.

Mr. Taggart
Profile for Mr. Taggart
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 13:18
If Acura wants a design languge that says 'young' I think Volvo is doing a pretty good job right now.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 13:30
YESSSS good news!

A77
Profile for A77
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 18:10
am i in a minority that thinks the Civic looks better, especially with a bit of lowering, nice wheels, tint, black roof and a spoiler....aka...

outside anyway. don't think an ILX could ever be made to look as nice as this. (IMHO...)
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 19:25
TurkMan71 wrote:
I'm not sure if he's just saying that so TSX sales don't plummet or if it's true, and if it's true, then what?
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120326/RETAIL03/303269988/1144/acura-shifts-its-focus-to-sensible-gen-y-shoppers

I think I said this a few months back.......but nobody believed me.......it was January I believe.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 20:03
I thank you've been saying it's what gen-y ers want for a lot longer than that Andrew. my experience - most gen y ers don't buy new cars as they can't afford the comprehensive insurance....
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 20:43
IMO, TSX is among the best 4 cyl sedans in the market, is many aspects including the styling. It is a timeless design including its grill.

TSX would make a good family luxury sedan, but ILX would'nt given its compact size.

TSX is too successful to get rid of it immediately and without a doubt it is a consistent best seller in its segment and quite a few other automakers tried to emulate its entry level success.

Acura must wait atleast until an year or two after nextgen TL introduction to see if TL would reasonably replace TSX.

I have a feeling that next gen TL might be offerred in both 4cyl as well as 6cyl options and to increase its appeal and attract TSX buyers and eventually phase out TSX.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 20:44
A77 wrote:
am i in a minority that thinks the Civic looks better, especially with a bit of lowering, nice wheels, tint, black roof and a spoiler....aka...

outside anyway. don't think an ILX could ever be made to look as nice as this. (IMHO...)

I agree. When the Civic is "properly dressed" is can be more attractive. Concept to concept - on the outside...
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 23:26
Neal wrote:
A77 wrote:

I agree. When the Civic is "properly dressed" is can be more attractive. Concept to concept - on the outside...

I have yet to see a single 9G Si Sedan on the road! The lowered version pictured here does look quite a bit better than a stock Si.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 01:02
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Read the article, once again the focus is on Gen Y, but like with scion, the Gen Y is not buying a lot of what car marketers think they will buy. You know its one thing to tell a focus group or survey what you want in you next car but the realities of life my change what you actually buy.

The article also stated that the Gen Yers were looking for text messaging in car. What happens when the gov't soon bans it as the nanny state is now posisitioning texting and driving (and talking and driving) as being as bad as drunk driving?

One interesting note was on the conquest and lost sales charts. Honda and Toyota lead both but I wond what that same chart looked like in 2007 before the economy dumped.

It is just a matter of time until those features get banned (initial attempts at legislation are already in progress).

I guess you could call it an act of the "nanny state," but realistically, the safety trends are alarming. The reaction times of a texter are as high or higher than a drunk, and texting/talking on the phone is rocketing up the charts for leading causes of accidents. I am not necessarily a nanny state fan, but I should have a reasonable expectation to not be killed in a car accident because someone hits me who isn't paying attention to anything other than Facebook.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 09:56
Since the introduction of a ban on cell phone use in cars unless hands free last year there has been a marked reduction in drivers wandering around - well that's my local impression. helped by occasional police purges.

All this focus group crap - look at the Kia Soul - never has a car been more gen y aimed with its flashing speakers and all. yet who buys them - almost exclusively fat old people. Look at the Cube. Who buys this POS. Well, next to nobody. Who bought Elements? Same story. people in their early twenties can't afford new cars as the insurance is too high. Well, some do - but the average new car buyer is in their late 40s. (wrong - just checked that - they are 56...... heck i am younger than the average buyer (just) . And Honda markets its Civic, the biggest selling car.....to 12 year old Ninja fans.)
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 10:16
Mr. Taggart wrote:

Texting while driving IS as bad or worse than drunk driving.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/texting-while-driving-how-dangerous-is-it

Look at the reaction times. And that's on a straight course in a controlled environment.

This isn't about "nanny state", this is about telling people to take personal responsibility for paying attention to the road, and holding them accountable for it.

Sorry, but it's not acceptable for some shithead to crash into my car because they were texting instead of driving.

Got it?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 12:28
I despise texting. Even when I'm not driving.

A77 is right - funny how all these 'cool yoof' cars are invariably bought by daft pensioners! Yo Granpappy!
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 13:43
I think its a little prejudice to say a 20 or 30 something year old canít or wonít buy a new car (again falling victim to market research). It is a matter of what that individuals places as priorities and also the income and other investments the individual may have at the age that he or she should decide whether or not they buy a new car. I have learned that insurance is irrelevant to your age or the type of car and is more important of where you live
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 14:24
Mikeydred wrote:
I think its a little prejudice to say a 20 or 30 something year old canít or wonít buy a new car (again falling victim to market research). It is a matter of what that individuals places as priorities and also the income and other investments the individual may have at the age that he or she should decide whether or not they buy a new car. I have learned that insurance is irrelevant to your age or the type of car and is more important of where you live

Maybe it's no longer the case but not too long ago, if you were unmarried, male, and under 25 years of age, you found yourself in a very high insurance bracket, making it very difficult to justify spending for insurance on higher performance vehicles (and I'm not even talking about super fast cars, either)
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 14:51
Ironically, to support the text message function in the ILX, the mobile device must support something called a MAP profile. Currently, this includes most Blackberry's but not Andriod or Apple. There isn't a Gen-Yer out there rockin' a Blackberry.
NSXforever
Profile for NSXforever
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 15:20
Kool Aid wrote:
Ironically, to support the text message function in the ILX, the mobile device must support something called a MAP profile. Currently, this includes most Blackberry's but not Andriod or Apple. There isn't a Gen-Yer out there rockin' a Blackberry.

WTF? Do they know who gen Y is? Gen Y loves cars, not sure why they are painting them as people that hate cars, who are struggling with money and rather text than drive. Then they aimed for those people? WTF?

Yes there are some of those in gen Y but my goodness most seem to still love cars from exotics to V-8 Mustangs and many are doing quite well for themselves. The economy has also picked up as well.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 15:37
Kool Aid wrote:

So, Acura's market research led them to the conclusion that Gen Y wants tech toys in lieu of rather than in addition to a really good car. Who the eff are they kidding? Then they half ass it when the final product comes out. I can't imagine any Gen Y customer thinking the ILX is "smart luxury" or "value".

If this is the point they wanted to hammer home then the tech toys should be standard since they certainly didn't do anything worthy in the engine department.
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 15:43
Why the fuck are you and NSX coming down on me like I made the car or the press release. I'm just adding a data point on the functionality of the system.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 15:51
Kool Aid, I'm not coming down on you. Not sure how you took it that way. But in all honesty, this was directed toward Acura, not you. Just saying.
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 15:59
Torque wrote:
Kool Aid, I'm not coming down on you. Not sure how you took it that way. But in all honesty, this was directed toward Acura, not you. Just saying.

Sorry about that I reread what you said and meant to reply and amend what I wrote before you responded. In all likelihood, this car isn't the right car for me, but then, there are many cars that aren't right for me. I'm just feel that just although it's not right for me, that it doesn't mean that it would work for someone. So I'm not willing to invalidate the car based on my needs alone because as a manual driver, I'm already in the 5% range.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 16:10
Kool Aid wrote:
Torque wrote:

Sorry about that I reread what you said and meant to reply and amend what I wrote before you responded. In all likelihood, this car isn't the right car for me, but then, there are many cars that aren't right for me. I'm just feel that just although it's not right for me, that it doesn't mean that it would work for someone. So I'm not willing to invalidate the car based on my needs alone because as a manual driver, I'm already in the 5% range.

No worries, just wanted to clear that up. I'm in the 5% range as well driving a manual car and riding a motorcycle.
NSXforever
Profile for NSXforever
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 21:27
Kool Aid wrote:
Why the fuck are you and NSX coming down on me like I made the car or the press release. I'm just adding a data point on the functionality of the system.

Hey mahn chill out no one is coming down on you. :)
jbkingjr
Profile for jbkingjr
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 21:59
Jeff wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

Maybe it's no longer the case but not too long ago, if you were unmarried, male, and under 25 years of age, you found yourself in a very high insurance bracket, making it very difficult to justify spending for insurance on higher performance vehicles (and I'm not even talking about super fast cars, either)

Oh no, that's still the case. You should've seen what my rates looked like for my Si sedan at 21. 'Cringe-worthy' comes to mind.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2012 23:38
Neal wrote:
A77 wrote:

Not as nice looking as...

I will be honest, I think even the 8th gen Sedan has this 9th gen beat. The squarish front is really throwing me off from the relatively smooth curves of the 8th gen.
CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: TSX to stick around says Conrad    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 10:11
Jeff wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

Memories of Aug. 1969 (OK, so I was a young engineer back then, now just an "old f**t" who fits the Crosstour demographic), sitting in the Plymouth showroom, ordering my 1970 Barracuda. My pen hovered over the Cuda option check box (the 340) but I couldn't do it - I had checked potential insurance rate differences the day before and simply couldn't afford it. Sad, sad day. Let me tell ya, that 318 4-speed (Hurst pistol grip) just didn't cut it.

Fast forward to today: Insurance companies are way smarter now, so it's more difficult for a young person to get a performance car. The modern-day equivalent for my driving pleasure if I were in my early 20s: Si coupe.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy