[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: "Game-Changing TLX"
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> TLX Launch Package
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What does having a VIN # mean?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 Honda PU hints
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!! NSXPO 2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Pursuit of Arete
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Hope everything works out. Very nervous.
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Will the 2016 Civic be bigger?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Auto Show Season just started.
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: More REGULATIONS!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2012 16:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Do you believe this CLOWN.............When is the assault on American business going to stop..........Does this guy even know what an engine looks like, what is he, 22 years old......and how much does he eat a day, he doesn't look like he misses a meal and then some.........We have a bunch of College grads running the country with ABSOLUTELY no experience.

U.S. seeks bigger fines for auto safety, recall violations

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120322/OEM11/120329960/1143
loveturtle
Profile for loveturtle
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2012 18:55
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not "more regulations" since the existing regulations are the same. It's raising the fine on existing regulations.

I don't think it's that hard to promptly report a defect when you discover it. They already have to do it, now the fine may be worse to encourage them to not hide minor defects that may not otherwise be discovered. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me and sounds like typical faux outrage.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2012 19:16
loveturtle wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not "more regulations" since the existing regulations are the same. It's raising the fine on existing regulations.

I don't think it's that hard to promptly report a defect when you discover it. They already have to do it, now the fine may be worse to encourage them to not hide minor defects that may not otherwise be discovered. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me and sounds like typical faux outrage.

FAUX??????........It's an Automotive News piece.......And it is a big deal, it is a regulation, it places a higher burden on an already HIGHLY regulated industry. The increased fines, the little added fines he has placed here and there on small business is outrageous......Starting on 1 Jan 2011, part of the health care bill, if you run a persons credit, they have to sign a simple sheet above any beyond the credit app explaining their rights. This paper just tells them their credit score and where they stand with everyone else.......If it is not signed by the customer, it is a $20,000 fine......Why would something like that be in the health care bill, then you have the EPA not coming to Honda's defense on the Hybrid case, it was THEIR numbers.....If you don't think government is too big and in everyone's business, then you got problems pal.......BIG ONES! Take a look at the debt......16 TRILLION.....Do we need any more government programs to chase more business and add more government employees to add to our already heavy tax burden??

A77
Profile for A77
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2012 09:43
Not totally without experience

"Mr. Strickland served for eight years on the staff of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation as the Senior Counsel for the Consumer Protection Subcommittee. In that role, he was the lead staff person for the oversight of NHTSA, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. His advice to Commerce Committee members during their work on NHTSA's reauthorization in 2005 led to the inclusion of several significant vehicle safety mandates, including the electronic stability control mandate for every passenger vehicle. Mr. Strickland advised Congressional members on safety reforms and funding increases for NHTSA's seat-belt and drunk-driving grant programs and earned national recognition from Mothers Against Drunk Driving, who named him Congressional Staffer of the Year in 2004 for his role in making the driving public safer.

Mr. Strickland is a certified CPS seat technician and carries a valid motorcycle endorsement. Originally hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, he earned his J.D. degree from Harvard Law School and his B.S. degree in communication studies and political science from Northwestern University."

I thought - wtf is a certified seat technician....well its a 3 or 4 day course costing $75 which instructs you howe to install child car seats and is valid for 2 years. And he can ride a motorcycle...[sarcasm] I am impressed[/sarcasm]....not quite sure how that rates higher than a harvard law degree and a communications degree....maybe the writer him/herself is being sarcastic.

That aside there's some truth to the previous fine being inadequate, and toyota was guilty of tardiness. On the other hand some of these recalls you read about are simply nuts - like the crosstour airbag one where Honda had to replace a whole load of airbags as certain types had not been adequately tested for a situation where a child had been put in the front seat and was not wearing a seat belt....I mean come on...ever heard of parental parental responsibility

BTW what does this mean

'A competing House bill does not include the proposal, which automakers call excessive in an era of increased vehicle safety with motorists traveling more than three million miles on U.S. roads annually.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2012 17:41
A77 wrote:
Not totally without experience

"Mr. Strickland served for eight years on the staff of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation as the Senior Counsel for the Consumer Protection Subcommittee. In that role, he was the lead staff person for the oversight of NHTSA, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. His advice to Commerce Committee members during their work on NHTSA's reauthorization in 2005 led to the inclusion of several significant vehicle safety mandates, including the electronic stability control mandate for every passenger vehicle. Mr. Strickland advised Congressional members on safety reforms and funding increases for NHTSA's seat-belt and drunk-driving grant programs and earned national recognition from Mothers Against Drunk Driving, who named him Congressional Staffer of the Year in 2004 for his role in making the driving public safer.

Mr. Strickland is a certified CPS seat technician and carries a valid motorcycle endorsement. Originally hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, he earned his J.D. degree from Harvard Law School and his B.S. degree in communication studies and political science from Northwestern University."

I thought - wtf is a certified seat technician....well its a 3 or 4 day course costing $75 which instructs you howe to install child car seats and is valid for 2 years. And he can ride a motorcycle...[sarcasm] I am impressed[/sarcasm]....not quite sure how that rates higher than a harvard law degree and a communications degree....maybe the writer him/herself is being sarcastic.

That aside there's some truth to the previous fine being inadequate, and toyota was guilty of tardiness. On the other hand some of these recalls you read about are simply nuts - like the crosstour airbag one where Honda had to replace a whole load of airbags as certain types had not been adequately tested for a situation where a child had been put in the front seat and was not wearing a seat belt....I mean come on...ever heard of parental parental responsibility

BTW what does this mean

'A competing House bill does not include the proposal, which automakers call excessive in an era of increased vehicle safety with motorists traveling more than three million miles on U.S. roads annually.

Not sure, but I can install a child with the BEST of them and I trained my self and installed a child seat for the head of pediatrics at our local hospital for his new born after THEIR "certified CPS seat technician" installed it, I could move that seat around like it was a lose fit.....after I installed it, the think was like it was glued to the seat.........So I am not impressed.........2nd thing that doesn't impress me is Harvard..........

"His advice to Commerce Committee members during their work on NHTSA's reauthorization in 2005 led to the inclusion of several significant vehicle safety mandates, including the electronic stability control mandate for every passenger vehicle."

REALLY! I would like to see just how much of "his advice" was used or was he just part of a team that was a think tank..........He has been in government ALL his working life........NO FIELD TIME!........"eight years on the staff of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation as the Senior Counsel for the Consumer Protection Subcommittee."

I LOVE this one.......They will end up costing manufactures MILLIONS because of Hybrids and electric cars, tho they call them "quiet cars" so they don't HURT THEIR CAUSE of getting their million electric cars on the road by 2015.......This is the same as the housing debockle.....force them to give loans to anyone that can fog a mirror, then they go bankrupt cause they cant pay, then fine the banks $26 BILLION to pay back everyone they lent money too..........WTF........if you wanted electric cars, you should have thought of having them make noise from the start..........

"In addition, we’re already working to fulfill the new Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, signed by President Obama to develop a standard that will be effective in addressing the issue of quiet cars and risks to pedestrians."

OH, I googled everything about this guy to find out how old he is, NOTHING, I can't find out how old he is..........If he is older then 35 I will be shocked.........
Kongming
Profile for Kongming
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 00:21
loveturtle wrote:

Exactly. Sounds like a great change to me...hopefully cuts down on defects and ends up creating safer cars in the long run.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 09:23
Kongming wrote:
loveturtle wrote:

Exactly. Sounds like a great change to me...hopefully cuts down on defects and ends up creating safer cars in the long run.

So I guess cars are not safe now...........Hmm! Could have fooled me. I think the drivers are a lot less safe then the cars.......We have to build the cars to protect our selves from Testing while driving, drinking Hot coffee, Putting on make-up.........I have a customer that she admitted to me the other day as I was trying to put her in a new car...........the reason she won't buy a new hybrid is because she can't get it in a stick..........she wanted to know why sticks are so rare........I said "because people can't drink coffee, talk on their cell phone and read the paper.........." She said, and she was SERIOUS, " I drive with my knees, I talk on my cell, drink my coffee and eat my breakfast while I drive, and I shift"........Not that I wasn't turned on by that cause she was in her mid 40's and kind a hot........but I rest my case...........cars are safe enough........They are clean enough and for the most part, going to be fuel efficient enough soon, and YES, thanks to regulation, but it would have happened at about the same time with the free market demanding the same......otherwise they would do the same they did in the 70's, go buy the car that was the most fuel efficient........and what car was that????? A Honda Civic..........

There is too much regulation in America, PERIOD...........A child can't even open up a Lemonade stand in some cities, the FDA has arrested kids for doing it..................regulations have cost us 46 BILLION in 2010.........to 8 billion in 2004 as in the cost to business and manufacturing.......Bush was a regulator, but Obama has passed him 8X..........especially the Auto industry.........You want to know why Honda isn't putting out the products you want..........Ask the REGULATORS..........They don't want to deal with the numbers.........
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 14:38
Andrew,

You should read Bill Bonner for a hilarious take on all these gov't zombies feeding off the blood of real, productive industries!

It's the same the (western) world over, I'm afraid.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 19:26
Here's another good one for you. The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) in California requires that any BAR registered auto repair shop (which is all of them, unless you want to get shut down) must either check a customer's tire pressure before releasing the car post service unless that customer has signed a form stating they have checked their tire pressure in the last 30 days, or will do so within 7 days.

So, if I don't check the tire pressure (and correct it if off), or get that signature, guess what, I can be fined $1000 for each violation. It doesn't matter if the customer just wanted me to pull some OBD2 codes, or if I just baselined their car for $80. If I don't do that, I can lose my shirt. Why? Because this is how Cali is making sure people keep their tires inflated to improve fuel economy and fight global warming - punishing small business owners.

SC
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 19:55
Doesn't the US already have basically every car come with the stupid nanny air pressure monitor system? At this rate, just ban privately owned vehicles and make everyone take public transportation in the US. I mean if a car owner is unable to maintain their own tire pressures as it is monitored and lets you know when low and it is somebody else's responsibility, might as well just take the car owner out of the equation all together and put them on a bus, train or what have you since big government feels that the common person is a complete moron.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 20:03
notyper wrote:
Here's another good one for you. The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) in California requires that any BAR registered auto repair shop (which is all of them, unless you want to get shut down) must either check a customer's tire pressure before releasing the car post service unless that customer has signed a form stating they have checked their tire pressure in the last 30 days, or will do so within 7 days.

So, if I don't check the tire pressure (and correct it if off), or get that signature, guess what, I can be fined $1000 for each violation. It doesn't matter if the customer just wanted me to pull some OBD2 codes, or if I just baselined their car for $80. If I don't do that, I can lose my shirt. Why? Because this is how Cali is making sure people keep their tires inflated to improve fuel economy and fight global warming - punishing small business owners.

SC

Shawn............

That sucks.......why is it your responsibility. I can see it they come in for a service or something, but if they come in for a washer fluid fill or even ask for directions..hell I wouldn't let them leave with out checking their tire pressure because they can say anything after they leave....run over a bus full of 8th graders and Nuns and say it was because YOU didn't check the tire pressure........

This is what people who tell me to relax about regulations. They are not in business, they don't see what it takes to run one......

Shawn, do you have to buy these forms or are they on a web sight you print them off of? Does it cost you any added money besides the paper it cost to print them on? Where do you store all these forms? Do you have to show them or send them somewhere every year or quarter? This shit fascinates me.......I can't imagine what it cost you to remove oil, coolant and batteries.......let alone asbestos and mercury.........from older cars, and LEAD..OMG I bet they send out the HAZ-MAT team and shut down the block...........
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 22:18
IntegraDC5R wrote:
Doesn't the US already have basically every car come with the stupid nanny air pressure monitor system? At this rate, just ban privately owned vehicles and make everyone take public transportation in the US.

Watch it...

I think that's what the progressives want.

Of course, they all live in urban areas...

Or they are rich (West LA) and they have chauffeurs.

A77
Profile for A77
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2012 22:27
Bloody TPMS sensors are the bane of everybody's life. soon as it gets cold pressure drops light comes on and phone rings off the hook. We have as much as 100 degree F swings in 24 hours not uncommonly and it plays havoc. Thanklfully not yet compulsory in cars in canada (but they are in trucks). if you need summer and winter rims (and you do) then thats two sets of the effing things at $60 each and they need re-calibrating to the car twice year. it's insane. People should be responsible for checking their tires and tire pressure gauges cost 5 bucks. get real. How long before helmets are mandated for all car drivers and passengers. Would save tens of thousands of lives....whoopy do
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 00:13
HONDA AFVM wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

Shawn............

That sucks.......why is it your responsibility. I can see it they come in for a service or something, but if they come in for a washer fluid fill or even ask for directions..hell I wouldn't let them leave with out checking their tire pressure because they can say anything after they leave....run over a bus full of 8th graders and Nuns and say it was because YOU didn't check the tire pressure........

This is what people who tell me to relax about regulations. They are not in business, they don't see what it takes to run one......

Shawn, do you have to buy these forms or are they on a web sight you print them off of? Does it cost you any added money besides the paper it cost to print them on? Where do you store all these forms? Do you have to show them or send them somewhere every year or quarter? This shit fascinates me.......I can't imagine what it cost you to remove oil, coolant and batteries.......let alone asbestos and mercury.........from older cars, and LEAD..OMG I bet they send out the HAZ-MAT team and shut down the block...........

This is California. The Progressives that own LA and SF are fascist nanny statists. They want to bring everyone down to the level of an illegal with an effective 2nd degree education ( vide our expensive but ineffective school system which means many graduate from HS with no real learning).

They want to tell us what to do, how to do it and when to do it.

By every political definition they are fascists.

Now, here's the great thing... I can create a corporation in Nevada, shift my investments there and do not take any distribution while I'm a resident of California. Keep the profits reinvested.

Then, when I plan to retire, I move to Nevada and start taking distributions and I will NEVER have to pay a penny of California tax.

Of course, when we travel to Nevada to personally inspect our investments we can legally charge off the trip to the corporation.

By the way... we just did our taxes.... our effective payment to California State Income Tax is 40% of our Federal Tax.

We really need to split this state.. We need East California.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 01:02
TonyE wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

Shawn............

This is California. The Progressives that own LA and SF are fascist nanny statists. They want to bring everyone down to the level of an illegal with an effective 2nd degree education ( vide our expensive but ineffective school system which means many graduate from HS with no real learning).

They want to tell us what to do, how to do it and when to do it.

By every political definition they are fascists.

Now, here's the great thing... I can create a corporation in Nevada, shift my investments there and do not take any distribution while I'm a resident of California. Keep the profits reinvested.

Then, when I plan to retire, I move to Nevada and start taking distributions and I will NEVER have to pay a penny of California tax.

Of course, when we travel to Nevada to personally inspect our investments we can legally charge off the trip to the corporation.

By the way... we just did our taxes.... our effective payment to California State Income Tax is 40% of our Federal Tax.

We really need to split this state.. We need East California.

My son is 50 inches tall and 60 pounds.......he sits in the front seat of my HCH, I know it is against the law, but my daughter is 4 and she weighs 39 pounds and is still in a child seat and that is in the MIDDLE of the back. I got pulled over and the cop told me my son needs to be in the back in a booster,,,,,,So I said NO!....he said YOU are telling me now, it's the law! I said LOOK officer, I sell these cars, I know their crash worthiness, if I put my son in the back he will be pushed into my daughters child seat in a T-Bone collision, with a possible shearing off of her latch belt, causing extensive pelvic damage to my son if not killing him and killing my daughter...........

He said, then move her to the door side and him to the other door side.........I said, I am afraid I can't do that either, that is putting them both in danger. If a Large SUV hits us from the side, there is 10 inches from the door to her seat, it will for sure cause serious damage, my son being in the front and my daughter in the middle rear is the safest place, the front air bag shuts off because he weighs less then 65 pounds and there is 18 inches and a double side impact beam in the front door and a side seat air bag with an occupant detection system..........SO, Officer, I appreciate your concern for my kids, but I am not changing my seating arrangement because some politicians think they know MY situation better then me.........What do politicians drive around in......SUV's...I rest my case..........He let me go!
GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: More REGULATIONS!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2012 10:44
IntegraDC5R wrote:
Doesn't the US already have basically every car come with the stupid nanny air pressure monitor system? At this rate, just ban privately owned vehicles and make everyone take public transportation in the US.

Replace the word public with government and you will understand the goal, comrade. Use the same substitution for all of the poorly run institutions, such as government schools.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0