[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
General Talk --> Re: S660/1000 good news rumors from Japan
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Turbocharged engines coming in 2015
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Surprising N-Box Slash debuts in Japan
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: F1 may change engine formula in 2016
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mugen RLX to debut at Tokyo Auto Show
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2015 Honda F1 PU Update
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda/HPD ARX-04b Coupe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The most beautiful thing in the world is...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: "Paging No Typer, your caddy is ready"...2016 CTS-V
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: Possible engine issue
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Safety Recall: 2015 TLX 9AT Park Position Malfunction
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 10-15 year old Honda or Acura?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: It looks like Honda is going to go with Android in the future
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
RSX
Profile for RSX
2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 08:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
All autos.ca judges picked the CR-V best in this comparo and said it is nearly "perfect".

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-five-compact-cuvs
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 08:41
Here's a quote from the article...

There is no question that the CR-V came out ahead on points in this comparison, but the CX-5 came out slightly ahead in judges’ hearts, with three of us leaning towards the pretty face (and tail) of the cheeky Mazda in our personal preferences despite all the merits of the CR-V. In a certain sense, the CR-V is a clinical success, and you can add an IIHS Top Safety Pick feather to its cap, with only the Tucson earning the same award, though the CX-5 is simply too new to have been tested.
RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 08:45
typer_801 wrote:
Here's a quote from the article...

There is no question that the CR-V came out ahead on points in this comparison, but the CX-5 came out slightly ahead in judges’ hearts, with three of us leaning towards the pretty face (and tail) of the cheeky Mazda in our personal preferences despite all the merits of the CR-V. In a certain sense, the CR-V is a clinical success, and you can add an IIHS Top Safety Pick feather to its cap, with only the Tucson earning the same award, though the CX-5 is simply too new to have been tested.

Yes, I read that. I get the sense that everyone wants a reason not to pick the obvious choice. It's human nature to do this and it makes Mazda the underdog so-to-speak. Everyone loves an underdog.
Big_Boi
Profile for Big_Boi
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 09:53
I read the comparo as well and was impressed by the CR-V coming first, not bad honda. I mean I have been bashing the car the last couple weeks. I never thought it was a bad car in the first place I just felt Honda could have done more in the styling department and added better high end tech features to the car. But they did win so they get props for that.

The one thing I will say is when asked which car they would buy, 3 of the 5 testers said the Mazda CX-5, just thought I would throw that little dig in there, lol.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 11:34
I've always panned the Canadian auto press as being about 90 degrees out of phase with the rest of the world (CX-5 with an attractive nose?), but its nice to see the CR-V getting some recognition regardless. Aside from the wide geared 5AT, the whole package is very solid.

It would seem as though the full SkyActiv treatment is a little too weak for larger vehicles. While the CX-5 returned 10% better fuel economy (I'll bet half the difference was having a 6AT instead of 5AT), it is smaller, and noticeably weaker than the top of the class. I don't know if it hides the weak acceleration on test drives or not, but that may come back to haunt Mazda down the road.

SC
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 11:37
These sorts of reviews take me back to before I owned Honda's (mid to late 90's). The car mags used to describe some of the best mainstream Honda models as 'blandly perfect'. Always seemed like a back-handed way to compliment the best car in a class IMO.

From my own experience it must be some lack of emotional appeal...something from the Honda recipe which is simply absent that other cars have. Whatever it is, looks like the CX-5 has it...

Big_Boi wrote:
I read the comparo as well and was impressed by the CR-V coming first, not bad honda. I mean I have been bashing the car the last couple weeks. I never thought it was a bad car in the first place I just felt Honda could have done more in the styling department and added better high end tech features to the car. But they did win so they get props for that.

The one thing I will say is when asked which car they would buy, 3 of the 5 testers said the Mazda CX-5, just thought I would throw that little dig in there, lol.

MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 12:50
It's a bit inconsistent to test 3 out of vehicles with winter tires. Other reviews have consistently praised CX-5 for its handling. Also, with the gas price, people will give CX-5 a good look. I think Mazda absolutely did the right thing to put the Skyactiv in CX-5. Afterall, Miata was never about straight line acceleration.

CR-V is no doubt a very good all around vehicle. CX-5 puts in more emotions.
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 16:03

Some excepts to note:

RAV4

Transmission kick-downs are lazy, steering feel is numb, and cornering ability was deemed worst of the bunch.

Many people praise the powerful engine RAV4 has, but not many admit that its power is useless since it has the worst handling in the segment. Its nice to see the review acknowledging that RAV4 handled worst. (I knew how it handled because I test drove one sometime back).

Tucson

Hyundai has yet to find that magic handling with supple ride formula in this segment that makes the Honda CR-V such a joy to drive.

CRV

Once behind the wheel, the CR-V was voted the easiest to drive. Every reviewer commented that this Honda was the vehicle they felt most comfortable driving, and when driving quickly to boot. The vehicle responds predictably in corners and despite some body roll, is easy to control. The nearly perfect ride balance between comfort and sport is unexpected in this class of vehicle and the steering wheel sends a surprising amount of feedback to the driver.

That's a great compliment to Honda, since Honda has long been criticized for noisy rides. Looks like Honda made CRV to have great ride without compromising on Handling. Good job Honda !

In my opinion, Maneuverability is extremely important in this segment (without making the ride noisy) because over the last few years, many traditional family sedan buyers are looking into compact CUV segment, for more comfort and versatility, so obviously they would all look for car-like driving dynamics.

I think Honda got the CRV right and more importantly at the right time.
sugaki
Profile for sugaki
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 19:51
Haven't driven the CX5, but the CR-V is as perfect as you can get for its segment. Compliant yet communicative ride, good steering feedback, nice utility, decent styling.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 21:38
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
... CR-V is no doubt a very good all around vehicle. CX-5 puts in more emotions.

You want emotions... how about my virtuous passing technique on high mountain roads while my wife - who learnt to drive on freeways - pretty much kept freaking out?

Time after time. Until she got used to the fact that two vehicles can be on the same road, facing each other, with a closing speed of more than 120 mph and it's OK... we're still a few hundred yards away....

Now, that was emotional. ;-)

I doubt you could pull that on that slow poke Mazda. I mean, you might, but it would likely be your last... or you could follow that stinky truck for 100 miles.... now that's an emotion I don't want to think about.

giltibo
Profile for giltibo
Re: 2012 CR-V easily wins comparo of 5 SUV's    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 02:24
You want emotions? Are you serious? That's the best thing I've heard in a long time!

N O W , H O N D A ! G E T U S A D A R N 6 M T I N T H E C R - V ! That's the only way you're gonna get me in one. The 5AT makes the CR-V infinitely boring. I drive an '08 Accord Coupe 5MT and the reason my wife drives a 2012 Mazda 5 instead of (another) CR-V is the absence of a Manual transmission (She test-drove the 5AT and said "No way! That thing has no oomph!")

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0