[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: ASCC based CLX with Acura Sport (Mystery Concept)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Good news from the ashes!!!!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: Last day driving a TSX
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Driving again! And a little update.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Hyundai Sonata = flop?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Facelifted Euro 2015 Honda Civic
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Honda F1 (first generation) & F2 youtube video
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda UNI-CUB featured in OK GO's new music video
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 23:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
2013 ILX Trim Info

ILX Base

2.0L w/5AT
1.5L w/CVT Hybrid

Standard with:
Keyless Access and pushbutton start
Pandora
SMS (basic replies)
Power Sunroof (assumes it's glass like normal)
16" Alloy Wheels
Bluetooth
Cloth seats

ILX Premium

2.0L w/5AT
2.4L w/6MT

Adds to base:
Leather seats
Heated Front seats
360 watt stereo
XM Radio
Rear view camera
17" Alloy wheels
HID
Fog lights
Auto-dimming mirror

ILX Technology Package

2.0L w/5AT
1.5L w/CVT Hybrid

Adds to Premium
ELS surround audio
Navigation
Homelink
carzak
Profile for carzak
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 00:51
So you can't get the Tech package with the 2.4L. Brilliant!
BlackSeries
Profile for BlackSeries
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 01:00
Any info on pricing?
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 01:10
BlackSeries wrote:
Any info on pricing?

I'm sure we'll hear more on pricing once the RDX is safely out of the chute. Till then, it has the primary focus.
Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 03:14
Kool Aid wrote:
BlackSeries wrote:
Any info on pricing?

I'm sure we'll hear more on pricing once the RDX is safely out of the chute. Till then, it has the primary focus.

Wow, XM isn't standard on the ILX? And no navigation with the 2.4/6mt model???

No LEDs? Nissan just announced that the 2013 Altima will finally get them, I hope the new Accord will get them too.
kirk
Profile for kirk
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 07:03
Rgist85 wrote:

No LEDs? Nissan just announced that the 2013 Altima will finally get them, I hope the new Accord will get them too.

I've not gotten used to the look of LED garnishes. If they were actual headlights, that's a whole different story.

Last edited by JeffX on 03-15-2012 07:35
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 08:01
carzak wrote:
So you can't get the Tech package with the 2.4L. Brilliant!
Brilliant or not is certainly up for interpretation. After years writing the same thing over and over again on this board it seems many still fail to realize that there is a non negligible cost on offering additional trims and options and that Honda may very well be the world leader in what I call "trim engineering".

There may never be such thing as a Honda car with an options list going beyond the standard features one like with so many competitors, nor availability of all trims for all powertrains, simply because the less trims you sell in higher volume the higher your profit margins and value for the customer. Obviously for that to work you need to:
1) Develop core tech in house, or at least get sufficiently involved with your suppliers to get pretty good deals.
2) Read the market well enough to keep selling cars despite limited variability.
Clearly looking at Honda history they may have made some mistakes here and there, but overall they are sure doing it pretty well.

Back to this example, Honda could have offered all 3 powertrains in all 3 trims and give dealers 9 different models to stock on a car expected to sell about 40k/year (which any dealer in TOV would for sure explain to you being a disparate idea).
Instead Honda gives you "the best 6":
• Gives the powertrain that will account for most sales (r20) the 3 trims
• Hopes the hybrid will attract either fuel-savy people on a limited buget (lowest trim) or tech-savy people with some kind of green-purpose (like me, top trim).
• Gives the car that will barely sell simply because of it being offered with MT-only the most sensible of the 3 trims (and the MT+navi combo has always been difficult on a US Honda because it's going from low sales to lower sales).

So again, Honda would for sure sell more cars if they offered more variations, but would they make more money or offer better value to their customers? I sure don't think so (and keep in mind that you'll also have the TSX 2.4 AT with tech around...)
mobis21
Profile for mobis21
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 08:11
Any prices?

On sale dates?
pedazo
Profile for pedazo
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 08:14
No home link in any model?
pezones
Profile for pezones
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 08:31
more punishment for the enthusiast –
the only model I would want would be the the 2.4 6 speed, and I wouldn’t want it without nav or els.
evped
Profile for evped
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 09:55
The deal killer is forcing me to get leather with the 2.4.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 11:02
You can always wait till the Civic refresh and get the Si. You'll get a cloth interior, with the same exact engine and 6 sp. After the news Andrew just disclosed about the upcoming refresh, things might be looking a little brighter for the Civic. Personally, I don't want leather in my next car. It was already 80 degrees in DC yesterday, getting hotter today, and the black leather in my car makes it so damn hot riding my motorcycle is a much better option.
evped
Profile for evped
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 11:17
Keyless Access and pushbutton start
Pandora
SMS (basic replies)
Heated Front seats
360 watt stereo
XM Radio
Rear view camera
HID
Auto-dimming mirror

These are all worth a couple of grand premium above the Si, but leather will push it to at least 4K. 2013 Si seems to be a much better value.
luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 11:35
SO the 2.4 you can't get the tech package which includes navigation and the els. wow what a mistake there.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 11:35
I just checked Honda's website. For the Si the 360 watt stereo is standard but you have to get the Navi package to get XM radio. Not sure if Pandora access is available in the package though. The good thing is that you can choose between the Si and the ILX. I have a feeling the price difference between the two isn't going to be all that much while the TSX lingers on for a couple more years. With the heavy discounting the TSX gets (at least around me) you can get a 4 cylinder TSX base model OTD for a shade over 27k and just barely.
NoSpinZone
Profile for NoSpinZone
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 12:28
What's with everyone wanting Nav? These things look obsolete after 5 years anyway.

I don't wan't equipment that goes obsolete after 5 years in a car that should last me 15.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 13:39
I have zero interest in the nav system Honda uses. The screen resolution on it is absolute crap and looks like it belongs in the 1990s. For the price they charge it is ridiculous.
siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 14:10
This doesn't make sense. If you want a TL with 6MT, you can only get the Tech Package. Why would it be opposite for the ILX?

I don't care about navigation, but the Homelink and ELS are very relevant to my interests. After having Homelink, I don't think I could ever go back to having ugly garage door remotes.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 15:27
Hard to tell what kind of a deal the ILX will be until we know the prices. Forced leather on the 2.4/6 speed is kind of bogus.
chavv
Profile for chavv
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 16:51
danielgr wrote:

So again, Honda would for sure sell more cars if they offered more variations, but would they make more money or offer better value to their customers? I sure don't think so (and keep in mind that you'll also have the TSX 2.4 AT with tech around...)

Sometimes I wonder if you work for Honda?
We are fans.
Everybody had seen the famous "BMW shit" :

What happens if we change BMW with another car company?
cforez
Profile for cforez
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 17:34
siegen wrote:
This doesn't make sense. If you want a TL with 6MT, you can only get the Tech Package. Why would it be opposite for the ILX?

I don't care about navigation, but the Homelink and ELS are very relevant to my interests. After having Homelink, I don't think I could ever go back to having ugly garage door remotes.

I agree, that can't be right, you can get a Civic Si with navigation, but you can't get an ILX 2.4 6MT Tech? And Homelink should be standard on all Acuras, and especially on what is essentially a mid-$20k Civic.

Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 17:34
chavv wrote:
danielgr wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if you work for Honda?
We are fans.
Everybody had seen the famous "BMW shit" :

What happens if we change BMW with another car company?

Will the 2.4 model be limited quanity like how the Civic SI is?
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 18:22
danielgr wrote:

So again, Honda would for sure sell more cars if they offered more variations, but would they make more money or offer better value to their customers? I sure don't think so and keep in mind that you'll also have the TSX 2.4 AT with tech around...)

If I wanted a 6 speed, 2.4 ILX and I don't care for the feel and price of leather (which I don't), Acura is basically saying that I am out of luck, since cloth upholstery is not offered. This is most definitely not a better value to their customer.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 19:45
superchg2 wrote:
danielgr wrote:
So again, Honda would for sure sell more cars if they offered more variations, but would they make more money or offer better value to their customers? I sure don't think so and keep in mind that you'll also have the TSX 2.4 AT with tech around...)
If I wanted a 6 speed, 2.4 ILX and I don't care for the feel and price of leather (which I don't), Acura is basically saying that I am out of luck, since cloth upholstery is not offered. This is most definitely not a better value to their customer.
If you won't buy an ILX because of it having leather, nor a Civic Si for it being too low-key, then you are not "a Honda customer" so you won't get better nor worst value. But for all those buying, they are sure getting more value while Honda limits trims and options availability than if they did not (and anyone could argue BMW's being better cars than Honda's, but none that they offer better value than the Japanese).
They may get things they wouldn't have paid separately, sure, they may lack things they'd like to get, sure, but overall they'll be getting a hell of a value for their money, which why Hondas keep selling like they do despite being so limited in terms of fitting every single taste out there.

Btw, you guys keep losing the point at every single time. As a customer, I suffer from Honda's "trim engineering" like everyone here, and in my country it's even more crazy than yours (and I've written about it several times: example) because you can't even "keep adding stuff".

Now, my feels as a customer (by definition selfish and only thinking on his/her own needs/wants) is one thing, what is "brilliant" or "good for a company" or even "good for the majority of people" are a completely different one. I have no problem considering both and understanding both, but it seems for some here that's too far reaching. I will never jump on anyone showing disappointment for Honda not offering what they want (I'm still waiting to be able to get a skyroof on a Freed Hybrid to buy one, or a 5door car with the CR-Z drivetrain), but when that person makes it seem like if "Honda is dumb for not fulfilling his/her desires" then I'm afraid I can't always agree (and in this case I sure don't agree).
To me that lineup makes an awful lot of sense as it is, as I explained and challenge anyone to argue on the rationale behind it.
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 19:50
superchg2 wrote:
danielgr wrote:

and who is making your 'perfect' car? Can you get what you want in any luxury brand? BMW, Merc, Audi, Lexus? Is the Infiniti G25 available in Cloth+6MT?
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 20:41
mobis21 wrote:
On sale dates?

I don't think its firm, but end of May is getting some talk. Maybe we'll hear more at NY?
placebo1969
Profile for placebo1969
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 23:38
I don't really understand the leather talk. I didn't even think Acura offered any vehicles without leather for some time. It seems strange to me that they are even offering cars without leather now.

Either way, I want the 2.4 and glad it only comes in the manual.
danielavg1991
Profile for danielavg1991
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 23:52
I'd be okay without the Nav on the 6MT, but the asymmetry of the center stack on non-nav models is such a turn off to my eye... namely the 3 buttons on the left side of the large knob compared to only 2 on the right side. navigation models get a more symmetrical button arrangement. the lack of homelink and els really sucks though... this is an Acura, isn't it?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2012 00:08
NoSpinZone wrote:
What's with everyone wanting Nav? These things look obsolete after 5 years anyway.

I don't wan't equipment that goes obsolete after 5 years in a car that should last me 15.

Hmm, interesting - our Odyssey is 6 years old and the Nav is 100% functional and we still use it frequently (I did install a 2009 map update). And the navi in my Si is 4 years old; same thing, I use it all the time (no map updates yet) and it's 100% functional, 100% non-obsolete (though the stupid "joystick" controller is crapping out).

Smartphone-based navis are extremely unreliable due to reliance on network connectivity. Garmins/Tomtoms, etc... are better but I don't mind paying a little more for the fully integrated factory nav system, and my future Honda/Acura car purchases will include nav systems.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 ILX Trim Information    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2012 04:16
Jeff wrote:
NoSpinZone wrote:

Hmm, interesting - our Odyssey is 6 years old and the Nav is 100% functional and we still use it frequently (I did install a 2009 map update). And the navi in my Si is 4 years old; same thing, I use it all the time (no map updates yet) and it's 100% functional, 100% non-obsolete (though the stupid "joystick" controller is crapping out).

Smartphone-based navis are extremely unreliable due to reliance on network connectivity. Garmins/Tomtoms, etc... are better but I don't mind paying a little more for the fully integrated factory nav system, and my future Honda/Acura car purchases will include nav systems.

just wondering, how is the US market for factory-like aftermarket navis?

At least in Japan many people prefer those to the actual factory units because they tend to offer better specs/price ratio than the automaker units. What you lose is a bit on the integration side (only touch interface and wheel mounted audio controls) but for many they remain the best choice.

PS: the way Honda implemented the i-mid thing in the ILX such navi wouldn't be a possibility; I'm asking simply out of curiosity in general.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0