[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda NSX Coming?
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: AutoNews: Acura Storm Before the Calm
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda/Acura New Product Plans
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: Next Generation Insight(MY2017)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Best burger in Anaheim, California???
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: 94 H22a jdm in a 90 accord will only roll start...Please help
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic in 2016
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > IMA/Hybrids > > Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondasrule
Profile for Hondasrule
Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 00:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Andrew, you are one of the top hybrid enthusiasts around here. How come you’re not posting in the TOV users Real World FE database? I must be missing something but I'd think you and Tony would be participating since you're both main players in this area and have always made great contributions. I hope it's OK to ask...
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 22:52
He is disqualified because he cut a hole through the floor and runs like Fred Flintstone on short trips.
Hondasrule
Profile for Hondasrule
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2012 01:49
As long as he doesn’t do more than 1 mile at a time in foot-only mode, no one will notice.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2012 22:36
Hondasrule wrote:
Andrew, you are one of the top hybrid enthusiasts around here. How come you’re not posting in the TOV users Real World FE database? I must be missing something but I'd think you and Tony would be participating since you're both main players in this area and have always made great contributions. I hope it's OK to ask...

Well, I've been posting my numbers in the forum.

I recently changed the tires so right now the numbers are in flux. I'm seeing numbers that range from 1 to 5 more mpg. I'm still trying to make sense out of it.

On top of that, I just got a job 3 miles from home, so I may start walking or may even get a scooter.

May have to get Powered By Honda walking shoes. ;-)
NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2012 10:42
TonyE wrote:
Hondasrule wrote:

Well, I've been posting my numbers in the forum.

I recently changed the tires so right now the numbers are in flux. I'm seeing numbers that range from 1 to 5 more mpg. I'm still trying to make sense out of it.

On top of that, I just got a job 3 miles from home, so I may start walking or may even get a scooter.

May have to get Powered By Honda walking shoes. ;-)

Get an old Honda Gyro!
Hondasrule
Profile for Hondasrule
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2012 20:20
TonyE wrote: Well, I've been posting my numbers in the forum.
…are those numbers scattered on different threads and posts?

TonyE wrote: I recently changed the tires so right now the numbers are in flux. I'm seeing numbers that range from 1 to 5 more mpg. I'm still trying to make sense out of it. [...]
Yeah, my car came with those (BS EP422s). I'm curious to find out how they work out for you. thanks for the post.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2012 15:38
Hondasrule wrote:

TonyE wrote: I recently changed the tires so right now the numbers are in flux. I'm seeing numbers that range from 1 to 5 more mpg. I'm still trying to make sense out of it. [...]
Yeah, my car came with those (BS EP422s). I'm curious to find out how they work out for you. thanks for the post.

Mostly my numbers are on this forum.

My wife took the car to work on friday and she got 42 mpg, just like that! I think she averaged 75 with a few "wide open throttle" runs...

Honestly, the Civic Hybrid is almost dangerous when merging onto the southbound 405 at Western Ave in Torrance. It's a short on ramp with the merging lane abruptly closing at the freeway overpass narrows over Western Ave. And southbound traffic often hauls, plus cars are getting onto the right lanes as they get ready to transition to the Harbor Fwy.

Amazes me that, since this THE on ramp for AHM, no one at AHM realized that may be the car does need a bit more power?

It can be white knuckle time...

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2012 16:25
TonyE wrote:
Hondasrule wrote:

My wife took the car to work on friday and she got 42 mpg, just like that! I think she averaged 75 with a few "wide open throttle" runs...

Honestly, the Civic Hybrid is almost dangerous when merging onto the southbound 405 at Western Ave in Torrance. It's a short on ramp with the merging lane abruptly closing at the freeway overpass narrows over Western Ave. And southbound traffic often hauls, plus cars are getting onto the right lanes as they get ready to transition to the Harbor Fwy.

Amazes me that, since this THE on ramp for AHM, no one at AHM realized that may be the car does need a bit more power?

Tony, even the 5AT R18-equipped 2012 Civic EX 5AT created a number of stressful situations for me when I took it swimming with Atlanta's rush hour sharks. Hopefully this earth dreams technology endows the cars with sufficient 'on-demand' juice to provide an appropriate safety margin, while delivering impressive fuel economy numbers. Right now there's not much magic going on with Honda's 4-cylinders. To achieve 'excellent' fuel economy numbers, Honda is strapping the cars with miserable acceleration. In the old days you got great fuel economy as well as good acceleration when you needed it.

As I see it now cars like the civic hybrid and even a laden Civic EX 5AT are too dangerously slow for many typical traffic situations in my parts. In more relaxed regions where typical traffic speeds are lower I'm sure they're adequate.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2012 22:25
Jeff wrote:
TonyE wrote:
Hondasrule wrote:

Tony, even the 5AT R18-equipped 2012 Civic EX 5AT created a number of stressful situations for me when I took it swimming with Atlanta's rush hour sharks. Hopefully this earth dreams technology endows the cars with sufficient 'on-demand' juice to provide an appropriate safety margin, while delivering impressive fuel economy numbers. Right now there's not much magic going on with Honda's 4-cylinders. To achieve 'excellent' fuel economy numbers, Honda is strapping the cars with miserable acceleration. In the old days you got great fuel economy as well as good acceleration when you needed it.

As I see it now cars like the civic hybrid and even a laden Civic EX 5AT are too dangerously slow for many typical traffic situations in my parts. In more relaxed regions where typical traffic speeds are lower I'm sure they're adequate.

If you have any acceleration problems with such engines I'd bet it's not the engine but the transmission that is to blame. If it had a CVT maybe you'd like it less, that I don't know, but for sure "on demand acceleration" would be so much better on any situation (and I'm sure TonyE agrees with me based on his "underpowered" Civic Hybrid experience)

Again, after droving my ass around from Vegas to LA then to SF on a Prius I really don't think anyone needs anything more than that and learning how to floor the throttle to drive in US freeways, ramps, and whatever comes. If I ever felt in danger was driving the V8 GMC minivan, that thing would take minutes to start accelerating and then do it with an uncontrollable surge of power after a crazily abrupt down-shift that would throw away anything not perfectly stuck somewhere in the cabin...
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2012 22:30
danielgr wrote:
Jeff wrote:
TonyE wrote:
Hondasrule wrote:

If you have any acceleration problems with such engines I'd bet it's not the engine but the transmission that is to blame. If it had a CVT maybe you'd like it less, that I don't know, but for sure "on demand acceleration" would be so much better on any situation (and I'm sure TonyE agrees with me based on his "underpowered" Civic Hybrid experience)

Again, after droving my ass around from Vegas to LA then to SF on a Prius I really don't think anyone needs anything more than that and learning how to floor the throttle to drive in US freeways, ramps, and whatever comes. If I ever felt in danger was driving the V8 GMC minivan, that thing would take minutes to start accelerating and then do it with an uncontrollable surge of power after a crazily abrupt down-shift that would throw away anything not perfectly stuck somewhere in the cabin...
Sorry, I did not read correctly Tony's post. Don't know, maybe the 8-valve Civic Hybrid with a relatively empty battery is a bit too extreme for such a large car, or maybe our concept of "dangerousness" is just so completely different... 'Cause really, the Prius was plenty enough.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2012 23:01
danielgr wrote:
Sorry, I did not read correctly Tony's post. Don't know, maybe the 8-valve Civic Hybrid with a relatively empty battery is a bit too extreme for such a large car, or maybe our concept of "dangerousness" is just so completely different... 'Cause really, the Prius was plenty enough.

The Civic is underpowered especially if you load it up with passengers and try to get somewhere in a hurry, that it won't be fun, even with full battery but will get the job done. If you're only driving with 1 passenger it is ok. Or if you left the car too long (few weeks) and the battery started draining. But that is perspective from me, where more than 80% of the cars on my roads are actually slower than a Civic hybrid.... so it actually gets an OK.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 15:34
Even with the battery fully loaded, the SB 405 on ramp at Western Ave in Torrance is simply too short for the HCH to come up to speed before merging onto the main lanes of the freeway.

Most SoCal freeways have nice, long on ramps and merging lanes, so that coming up to 70+ is not an issue. The Santa Monica Fwy, for example, even has those nice dual lane side "roads" that keep the traffic getting in and out of the freeway away from the main freeway.

(Note: the fact that the main trunk of the 10 is usually stop and go while the side roads are where the main action is, as smart drivers go at 80 mph swerving in and out of the on/off ramp traffic... well that's an interesting, entertaining and amusing side fact, specially if you're driving a slow car...).

Note that I pointed out a specific on ramp which is the Achiles Heel of the Civic Hybrid and is taken my many AHM and Toyota employees on a daily basis.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 00:21
I have discovered a few hair-raising spots to and from work myself in this hybrid. There is no doubt that you have to plan for spot picks, but if you let your mind slip at all and pull out and try to "thread the needle", you will end up in a bad spot in these things.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 01:13
TonyE wrote:
Even with the battery fully loaded, the SB 405 on ramp at Western Ave in Torrance is simply too short for the HCH to come up to speed before merging onto the main lanes of the freeway.

Most SoCal freeways have nice, long on ramps and merging lanes, so that coming up to 70+ is not an issue. The Santa Monica Fwy, for example, even has those nice dual lane side "roads" that keep the traffic getting in and out of the freeway away from the main freeway.

(Note: the fact that the main trunk of the 10 is usually stop and go while the side roads are where the main action is, as smart drivers go at 80 mph swerving in and out of the on/off ramp traffic... well that's an interesting, entertaining and amusing side fact, specially if you're driving a slow car...).

Note that I pointed out a specific on ramp which is the Achiles Heel of the Civic Hybrid and is taken my many AHM and Toyota employees on a daily basis.

"L.A. is a great big freeway.
Put a hundred down and buy a car."
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-04-2012 09:01
Hondasrule wrote:

Hondasrule.........

I think I made it clear in another post about my over satisfaction with my 2007 HCH..........I have now put 33K+ on my HCH since July of 2010 and it has gone through 2 winters with snow tires and winter gas. My current average over the 21 months of driving is 43.7 MPG.......My MPG average since I put my snows on (7,000 miles ago, Thanksgiving 2011) is 38mpg, with snows.......These MPG's are ALL COMBINED.......

I now have my Michelin AR's on and I am back in the mid 40's combined. My last tank I got almost 600 miles, I used 12.4 gallons, I usually push it to 13.3 gallons , so I could have easily gone over 600........

Am I going to say there is no problem with the HCH, no, I can't, but from my experience, EVERY person that has called my dealership and has said their HCH OR PRIUS for that matter is not getting the prescribed MPG, the service manager gives the car to ME. I then take the car for 3 to 4 days and drive it. I drive it in the city and on the highway. I ALWAYS bring it back better then the manufactures/EPA's posted highway or combined MPG and I always put over 300 miles on the car..........

We never hear from the customer again........I always follow up with them to make sure MY TIPS are working, and for the most part they are. This is a 90% PEOPLE problem and 10% manufacture problem........I could put blame on the dealers too........I qualify ALL my hybrid customers to determine if they will be using the hybrid system to it's full potential.........if not I will warn them that they will not get the MPG stated on the window. I then will recommend another car........if they are insisting on a Hybrid, then I will sell them one, but I am an exception to the rule, it takes a lot of work and time to sift through these people, most sales people are not willing to take the time NOR have the knowledge of these cars as I do.........and I have the knowledge of ALL hybrids manufactured today, not just Honda's.........My customers send me their friends with all hybrid brands and I take the time to show them the best way to drive them to maximize their MPG........

It's a VERY simple task, but people have to be willing to change some of their driving habits..........

SORRY I didn't see this post earlier, I literally just saw it and posted right away...........

I figure this all out on my Android's "gas app" it asks for the price of gas, date, miles on the car and the gallons used. Currently my best tank traveled on 13.34 gallons is 720 miles which was last July at 54.8 MPG, my worst tank was 391 miles, 34.4 mpg in Jan 2011, my average tank distance is 537 miles.........Again, this is all combined MPG.......city and high way.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-04-2012 09:05
danielgr wrote:
danielgr wrote:
Jeff wrote:
TonyE wrote:
Hondasrule wrote:

I drop mine in "S" and it has plenty of power...........
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-04-2012 12:28
One of my customers was getting 8.8 litres per 100 kms (27mpg) - according to his trip meter which was showing over 4000kms. Same as my VR6.....simply horrible and i have no idea how - probably his son was driving it and hammering it. I drove it for a few kms as the owner thought it had an acceleration problem. It didnt and I got good mileage during that trip too. As you say Andrew - its all in the driver. I do think better mileage is easier to get in a diesel though, regardless of driver technique.
Hondasrule
Profile for Hondasrule
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-04-2012 21:51
HONDA AFVM wrote:
[...] SORRY I didn't see this post earlier, I literally just saw it and posted right away...........
No need to apologize, I appreciate your response and the comments.

I figure this all out on my Android's "gas app" it asks for the price of gas, date, miles on the car and the gallons used. Currently my best tank traveled on 13.34 gallons is 720 miles which was last July at 54.8 MPG, my worst tank was 391 miles, 34.4 mpg in Jan 2011, my average tank distance is 537 miles.........Again, this is all combined MPG.......city and high way.
Cool, so you have the info. Maybe one day you'll feel like opening a Spritmonitor account, drop in your fuel tanks and trip odometer readings (from your "gas app") and if you have more than 3000 miles worth of records and let danielgr know, you could (virtually overnight) appear as one of the top FE participants in the TOV's database - maybe even push Call_In to 2nd place! ;)

I'm in the process of joining it but still have 1500 miles to go before my numbers get posted though :\

...fantastic "best tank" score! Thanks again for your reply.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-05-2012 19:40
A77 wrote:
One of my customers was getting 8.8 litres per 100 kms (27mpg) - according to his trip meter which was showing over 4000kms. Same as my VR6.....simply horrible and i have no idea how - probably his son was driving it and hammering it. I drove it for a few kms as the owner thought it had an acceleration problem. It didnt and I got good mileage during that trip too. As you say Andrew - its all in the driver. I do think better mileage is easier to get in a diesel though, regardless of driver technique.
It's not just the driver, but also the driving environment and type of use. No-one can get 27mpg on open roads (be them freeway, highway, whatever) on a HCH, and no-one can get 50mpg on short commutes in a European large city like Paris (figures are long-term). That is why the best comparison is always driving oneself within the same pattern you always do.

An example:
- while in Paris my mother was averaging around 8L/100km (29mpg) on the Insight which may seem terrible, but it's "great" if you consider she was getting around 11L/100km (21mpg) on her 1.6L 4AT Civic hatch before.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-07-2012 07:51
Hondasrule wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
[...] SORRY I didn't see this post earlier, I literally just saw it and posted right away...........
No need to apologize, I appreciate your response and the comments.

Cool, so you have the info. Maybe one day you'll feel like opening a Spritmonitor account, drop in your fuel tanks and trip odometer readings (from your "gas app") and if you have more than 3000 miles worth of records and let danielgr know, you could (virtually overnight) appear as one of the top FE participants in the TOV's database - maybe even push Call_In to 2nd place! ;)

I'm in the process of joining it but still have 1500 miles to go before my numbers get posted though :\

...fantastic "best tank" score! Thanks again for your reply.

I have no idea what you just said????..........LOL Transfer it from the APP to the internet????? Shit........I just bought an Android Razor Max on Wed, and I couldn't transfer the gas app from the Android incredible to the Razor, now I have to keep the Incredible and update it every time I am in the car...........it sucks.........I am pissed. It's on the SD card, the gas file with all the data, but it won't import the info from the card to the Razor...........AND, I down loaded Netflix, bought the HDMI docking station to hook to my TV, and it keeps coming up with an "error" message............I can start watching a movie on it no problem, but then I plug in into the docking station, and some window pops up, stops the movie and says my connection has been lost.........I am pretty tech savvy, but I can't figure this our, and the gas app Verizon can't figure out.........Any suggestions?
Hondasrule
Profile for Hondasrule
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 01:26
HONDA AFVM wrote:
[...] I have no idea what you just said????..........LOL [...]
Where to begin… first let’s make sure you are aware of the “TOV users Real World FD database” table which is always the first post in the “Optimizing Fuel Economy” TOV forum and looks like this:

People participating get their MPG average posted here and if you click any of the icons in blue, yellow, cyan, or clear under "US mpg" (for example) you’ll be able to see the fill up history for that participant with corresponding MPG per tank.

As far as I know there are two TOV members currently joining the database (Potenza and myself) but we are accumulating the required 3000 miles worth of records to appear in it.

So, take a look at it (I included links to the forum and the database in the first paragraph) then click on some of the MPG icons, read a few of the posts and if you think you’d be interested and need more assistance we can go from there.
Call_In
Profile for Call_In
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-10-2012 13:51
HondaAFVM,
Also, if you are already inputing your stats into your phone through an app you could just change which app you are using, as Daniel has pointed out to me that spritmonitor has and android app.
Hondasrule
Profile for Hondasrule
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-03-2012 16:00
A77 wrote:
A77, I hope you still get to see this post.

I hope you’re not forgetting to check if the tires are low-rolling-resistance. My brother bought a 2008 Civic hybrid a few months ago and it’s not as efficient as expected; I checked and the dealer had installed regular all seasons as they prepped it for sale.

It appears non-rolling-resistance tires can have a negative efficiency impact of 5mpg and now that I drive a hybrid, I find this not to be surprising.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-03-2012 20:38
Hondasrule wrote:
A77 wrote:

I hope you’re not forgetting to check if the tires are low-rolling-resistance. My brother bought a 2008 Civic hybrid a few months ago and it’s not as efficient as expected; I checked and the dealer had installed regular all seasons as they prepped it for sale.

It appears non-rolling-resistance tires can have a negative efficiency impact of 5mpg and now that I drive a hybrid, I find this not to be surprising.

You are 100% correct on that...........I have Michelin A/S Green energy on mine, and it makes a HUGE difference........
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-03-2012 20:47
Call_In wrote:
HondaAFVM,
Also, if you are already inputing your stats into your phone through an app you could just change which app you are using, as Daniel has pointed out to me that spritmonitor has and android app.

Sorry guys, I never came back to this thread after this........My bad........I am signed up now, I will give it a shot and ask for help if I need it..........THANKS!
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2012 08:47
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Hondasrule wrote:
A77 wrote:

You are 100% correct on that...........I have Michelin A/S Green energy on mine, and it makes a HUGE difference........

Just don't forget that 4mpg extra over 40mpg isn't really that much of a FE difference as over 20mpg ...

I'd be surprised if that was really the case though, and makes me wonder what kind of mileage I could get in the CR-Z if I had low-rolling resistance tires instead of the sport ones Honda puts from factory (same as Subaru used to put into their 200Hp Imprezzas...)
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2012 09:03
danielgr wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Hondasrule wrote:
A77 wrote:

Just don't forget that 4mpg extra over 40mpg isn't really that much of a FE difference as over 20mpg ...

I'd be surprised if that was really the case though, and makes me wonder what kind of mileage I could get in the CR-Z if I had low-rolling resistance tires instead of the sport ones Honda puts from factory (same as Subaru used to put into their 200Hp Imprezzas...)

No, you are getting it all wrong.......I have now on my trip "B" that I set 28 Nov 2011 around 9,500 miles and I am at 40.5 MPG, 6,500 of that was with snow tires. Right now my clock reads 46.8MPG and that is only because Saturday I was late for work, so I was balls to the wall full pedal to work, 10 miles of flooring it up hills and gunning it on yellow lights. I am at 480 miles, have a 1/3rd of a tank....it's harder to gain MPG then lose at those miles.....Before Saturday I was at 47.8 MPG COMBINED........240 of that a trip to PA and back, the rest is to and from work mostly, some HWY.......In summer I average well above 46MPG......
Hondasrule
Profile for Hondasrule
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2012 00:51
danielgr wrote: [...]

Daniel, my point is that if someone buys a Civic Hybrid and they're only getting 30 or 31mpg and feel there might be something wrong with the car because it's not delivering close to the estimated FE, something to consider is not having LLR tires, because a 5mpg for them will get them much closer to the car's rating and after that, driving environment and driving style could be reasonable enough factors to account for the difference without being anything wrong with the IMA system.

TonyE after driving his Civic Hybrid with all seasons he posted the following comments when he switched again to LLRs (this time to Bridgestone 422 Ecopia).

TonyE wrote:

1) I noticed that on an "off throttle" condition the car does not immediately slow down but keeps "rolling on"....
2) The sound is higher.
3) There a bit more higher frequency vibration coming on, without being harsh.
4) The steering is a little bit lighter.
5) Mileage is about 10% better than the Michelin Xs.
6) The battery stays charged a lot more.
7) IMA recharges a lot more. Before, while cruising at 80mph, IMA would never charge, but now I see a green bar quite often.
8) Handling is about the same as the Michelins with no more/less understeer and very good grip on turns. When they slide they give you good warning and it's easy to control the tail. The OEM Dunlops were almost criminal on this...

danielgr wrote:

[...]

...and makes me wonder what kind of mileage I could get in the CR-Z if I had low-rolling resistance tires instead of the sport ones Honda puts from factory...

[...]
I'm thinking the kind of mileage that could potentially make both, Call_in and myself sweat profusely if you know what I mean :)
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2012 14:48
My daughter is driving the hybrid now.

(I only drive it to gas it up...)

Most of her trips are short.. around 5 miles top... yet somehow she manages to put like 35 miles a day.... and some of her friends are on top of the hill. When she takes me to work (and back) she also has to go over another hill.

She's getting 31+ mpg, which is damn good under those conditions. She also manages to get the battery charged.

It's really all in the driving and the length of your drives. The smoother you use the gas and brakes, the flatter the terrain and the longer the drive the better the mileage.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Where is HONDA AFVM?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2012 16:57
TonyE wrote:
My daughter is driving the hybrid now.

(I only drive it to gas it up...)

Most of her trips are short.. around 5 miles top... yet somehow she manages to put like 35 miles a day.... and some of her friends are on top of the hill. When she takes me to work (and back) she also has to go over another hill.

She's getting 31+ mpg, which is damn good under those conditions. She also manages to get the battery charged.

It's really all in the driving and the length of your drives. The smoother you use the gas and brakes, the flatter the terrain and the longer the drive the better the mileage.

I just filled up, went almost 630 miles on my tank, 13.1 gallons and 47+ MPG.......

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy