[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
More.......................
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
More.......................
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
More.......................
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
More.......................
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
More.......................
TLX --> Re: We went with the Accord CVT Touring
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Update on the HR-V
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Picked up my GLM V6 Tech!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Heading to a CR-V Preview tomorrow. What do you want to see?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: INDYCAR--Pagenaud defects! What is HPD's future?
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Kurdish Mad Max war vehicles
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Honda F1 Leadership?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Honda F1 Leadership?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: latest CTR details
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2015 Euro CR-V Good News!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: How many are on social media ?
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: Any chance for manual ilx with tlx direct injected 2.4?
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Announces Pricing for 2013 RDX > > Re: What about SH-AWD

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
    
aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 13:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What will come of Acura's much lauded SH-AWD system? Are they giving up on it?
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 14:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
aznstuart wrote:
What will come of Acura's much lauded SH-AWD system? Are they giving up on it?

Now that they're gunning for the Lexus RX350 crowd, shawd is no longer necessary.
saitamahonda
Profile for saitamahonda
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 15:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
aznstuart wrote:
What will come of Acura's much lauded SH-AWD system? Are they giving up on it?


It's going to be eSh-AWD ( still has torque vectoring). The RDX has the CR-V's new electronically actuated AWD without torque vectoring.
Cory
Profile for Cory
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 17:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I liked the original RDX a lot except for the mileage. It was unique with a turbo 4 and SH-AWD. Now it just seems like a really expensive V6 CR-V.

I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show last week and was not impressed. It's an evolution of the design but not anything eye catching. I was the only one looking at it. It was shortly after the show opened at 10:00 so traffic wasn't huge yet but the Hyundai Equus that was nearby had more people looking at it than we're looking at Acura's entire line.
Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2012 00:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
eSH-AWD? Lame development.

I was hoping they will further develop SH-AWD to deliver beyond 70% power to the back for a bit of oversteer feel. There is no chance in hell that will happen with eSH-AWD.

Well, at least the eSH-AWD on the NSX are powering the right wheels.
NoSpinZone
Profile for NoSpinZone
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2012 12:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda-D,

From the test mule articles I've read, my general impression was that eSH-AWD is, even in its current state, better than SH-AWD.

Maybe after drawing the battery down with some spirited driving this won't be the case, but being in MN, the idea of a TL SH-AWD 6MT that can get 30+ MPG regularly is anything but lame.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2012 12:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Cory wrote:
I liked the original RDX a lot except for the mileage. It was unique with a turbo 4 and SH-AWD. Now it just seems like a really expensive V6 CR-V.

I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show last week and was not impressed. It's an evolution of the design but not anything eye catching. I was the only one looking at it. It was shortly after the show opened at 10:00 so traffic wasn't huge yet but the Hyundai Equus that was nearby had more people looking at it than we're looking at Acura's entire line.


It wasn't turning the numbers, it felt buzzy and adding the V6 will make it feel much more up scale and richer to drive......Audi and BMW both have systems that are about the same.......so it is not anything that is a negative.
traumeri
Profile for traumeri
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2012 12:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The x3 and q5 have permanent AWD with 40/60 split at default, I think the x3 even has differential wheel braking for "power vectoring". The RX350 has predictive AWD that doesn't necessarily wait until wheel slippage and allows 50/50 lock under slow speeds.

I think they should have come up with a similar system to Lexus even though it would have been less fuel-efficient. Even if no SH-AWD, some power to rear wheels at all times will still improve traction and driving dynamics. Hard to justify paying for an AWD system that engages only after wheel slippage occurs given the competition's tech.

A77
Profile for A77
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2012 14:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Even the new CRV system does not wait for the front wheels to slip. Even at start up on level ground at least 5% of power goes to the back wheels. Of course, being electronically controlled, this could well be different for the RDX. You'd think of necessity as it has so much extra power and a six speed.
traumeri
Profile for traumeri
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2012 16:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I stand corrected, this is from Hondanews for 2012 CRV, although it does not specify % power transferred.

Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control System
New for 2012, the CR-V offers Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control Systemô, which represents a major advancement to Honda's original Real Time 4WD system used in previous-generation models. The more compact and efficient Real Time AWD introduces a high degree of four-wheel-drive sophistication in rain, snow, dirt roads and dry pavement. System operation is completely automatic and virtually transparent in smoothness. Unlike some four-wheel-drive systems that require the driver to select a drive mode based on the perceived need, Real Time AWD's automatic operation means the system is always ready to transfer torque to the rear wheels, allowing the driver to focus more on driving when situations are demanding.

The capabilities of the system are prioritized to further support high fuel efficiency and all-around drivability on-road as well as off-road. Assisting the front wheels when it is beneficial, Real Time AWD instantly powers the rear wheels when starting from a stop, even on dry pavement, working in cooperation with Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the new Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS). For comparison, the previous-generation Real Time 4WD was designed to allow the front wheels to slip a small degree before torque was transferred to the rear wheels and its primary benefit was at low speeds. Plus, it did not interact with VSA. The new Real Time AWD system can operate at all speeds when needed. When torque transfer to the rear wheels is not required such as when cruising, drive to the rear wheels is decoupled for reduced drag.

The Intelligent Control System function of Real Time AWD cooperates with the VSA and EPS to assist the driver in maintaining vehicle control. For efficiency, the electric motor activating the hydraulic pump is idled when not required, further reducing drag within the system and helping to reduce energy consumption. Compared to the previous model's Real Time 4WD, the new Real Time AWD design weighs 17 percent less (approximately 36 pounds total system weight) and has 60 percent less rotational drag compared to the previous-generation's Real Time 4WD system.

The CR-V's all-wheel drive system's major components consist of the conventional front-wheel-drive system, a compact transfer case that distributes torque to a propeller shaft running the length of the vehicle, the rear differential, a new electronically-controlled hydraulic pump, a multi-plate clutch, and left and right rear-wheel driveshafts.

The previous-generation Real Time 4WD system was mechanically actuated using a pair of hydraulic pumps (one driven by the front wheels and one driven by the rear wheels) along with a ball cam mechanism to operate the clutch that sent power to the rear wheels. If the front wheels began to turn faster than the rear wheels, as would be the case if they were spinning on snow or ice, the difference in pressure between the two pumps would cause the clutch to be engaged, sending power to the rear wheels. The ball cam mechanism was designed to help speed engagement. The system was designed to react to front wheelspin quickly and then send a portion of the vehicle's power to the rear wheels.

The new Real Time AWD still uses a multi-plate clutch, similar to the clutches used in Honda automatic transmissions, to connect the propeller shaft to the rear differential. But in place of the twin hydraulic pumps and ball cam mechanism used previously, the system now uses an electric motor driving a single hydraulic pump, which operates the clutch. The electric motor is controlled by the Intelligent Control System, which means that the system can actively apportion power based on the conditions. The system doesn't merely react to front wheelspin; it minimizes wheelspin before it happens by sending power to the rear wheels accordingly.

When starting on snow for example, the system sends power to the rear wheels right from the start, minimizing the potential for front wheelspin. The system can also detect when the CR-V is climbing a hill and send a greater amount of power to the rear wheels in cooperation with the newly added Hill Start Assist feature. Hill Start Assist maintains brake pressure briefly after the brake pedal is released, giving the driver time to accelerate and smoothly resume motion. The Intelligent Control System instantly assesses the road's slope angle using a G-sensor and the level of grip as detected by VSA in case of wheel spin, allowing added initial apportioning of torque to the rear wheels for smooth starts.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: What about SH-AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2012 20:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
traumeri wrote:
I stand corrected, this is from Hondanews for 2012 CRV, although it does not specify % power transferred.

Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control System
New for 2012, the CR-V offers Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control Systemô, which represents a major advancement to Honda's original Real Time 4WD system used in previous-generation models. The more compact and efficient Real Time AWD introduces a high degree of four-wheel-drive sophistication in rain, snow, dirt roads and dry pavement. System operation is completely automatic and virtually transparent in smoothness. Unlike some four-wheel-drive systems that require the driver to select a drive mode based on the perceived need, Real Time AWD's automatic operation means the system is always ready to transfer torque to the rear wheels, allowing the driver to focus more on driving when situations are demanding.

The capabilities of the system are prioritized to further support high fuel efficiency and all-around drivability on-road as well as off-road. Assisting the front wheels when it is beneficial, Real Time AWD instantly powers the rear wheels when starting from a stop, even on dry pavement, working in cooperation with Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the new Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS). For comparison, the previous-generation Real Time 4WD was designed to allow the front wheels to slip a small degree before torque was transferred to the rear wheels and its primary benefit was at low speeds. Plus, it did not interact with VSA. The new Real Time AWD system can operate at all speeds when needed. When torque transfer to the rear wheels is not required such as when cruising, drive to the rear wheels is decoupled for reduced drag.

The Intelligent Control System function of Real Time AWD cooperates with the VSA and EPS to assist the driver in maintaining vehicle control. For efficiency, the electric motor activating the hydraulic pump is idled when not required, further reducing drag within the system and helping to reduce energy consumption. Compared to the previous model's Real Time 4WD, the new Real Time AWD design weighs 17 percent less (approximately 36 pounds total system weight) and has 60 percent less rotational drag compared to the previous-generation's Real Time 4WD system.

The CR-V's all-wheel drive system's major components consist of the conventional front-wheel-drive system, a compact transfer case that distributes torque to a propeller shaft running the length of the vehicle, the rear differential, a new electronically-controlled hydraulic pump, a multi-plate clutch, and left and right rear-wheel driveshafts.

The previous-generation Real Time 4WD system was mechanically actuated using a pair of hydraulic pumps (one driven by the front wheels and one driven by the rear wheels) along with a ball cam mechanism to operate the clutch that sent power to the rear wheels. If the front wheels began to turn faster than the rear wheels, as would be the case if they were spinning on snow or ice, the difference in pressure between the two pumps would cause the clutch to be engaged, sending power to the rear wheels. The ball cam mechanism was designed to help speed engagement. The system was designed to react to front wheelspin quickly and then send a portion of the vehicle's power to the rear wheels.

The new Real Time AWD still uses a multi-plate clutch, similar to the clutches used in Honda automatic transmissions, to connect the propeller shaft to the rear differential. But in place of the twin hydraulic pumps and ball cam mechanism used previously, the system now uses an electric motor driving a single hydraulic pump, which operates the clutch. The electric motor is controlled by the Intelligent Control System, which means that the system can actively apportion power based on the conditions. The system doesn't merely react to front wheelspin; it minimizes wheelspin before it happens by sending power to the rear wheels accordingly.

When starting on snow for example, the system sends power to the rear wheels right from the start, minimizing the potential for front wheelspin. The system can also detect when the CR-V is climbing a hill and send a greater amount of power to the rear wheels in cooperation with the newly added Hill Start Assist feature. Hill Start Assist maintains brake pressure briefly after the brake pedal is released, giving the driver time to accelerate and smoothly resume motion. The Intelligent Control System instantly assesses the road's slope angle using a G-sensor and the level of grip as detected by VSA in case of wheel spin, allowing added initial apportioning of torque to the rear wheels for smooth starts.


You saved me a lot of typing.....LOL!
 
Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0