[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Detroit(NAIAS) Auto Show
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: pistonheads £100k garage, all-Honda choice ! Where's the wasabi?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Jeff Palmer/Shawn Church still around?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: McLaren-Honda drivers - official news
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Most f#&!ked up stupidest thing EVER!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: S660 detailed in Honda Magazine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda Heritage Center opens in Marysville Ohio
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda and the Takata Airbag recalls
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota out to "squish" Ford Honda Nissan & Hyundai in video
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2018 Acura GLX 4-door GT Sports Coupe
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: XR-V Patented in Europe
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: Lack of two key features

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2012 19:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, lack of two important features that are important to me (at least I don't see it from the photo gallery):

1) 40/20/40 split folding rear seat (or at least a center pass through)

2) Rear A/C vents.

For a luxury SUV, these should be at least optional.
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2012 20:49

I think the rear AC vents are there.
I can vaguely see them in the picture in Acura site (under future vehicles >> acura), in the rear seat picture:

http://www.acura.com/future/RDX#5

... take a look at the left bottom corner of the picture in the above link.
BlackSeries
Profile for BlackSeries
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2012 20:53
auto_enthu wrote:

I can vaguely see them in the picture in Acura site (under future vehicles >> acura), in the rear seat picture:

Nah..AC vents arent there. Its just an empty space to put some stuff.
HondaMotorCo007
Profile for HondaMotorCo007
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2012 21:05
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
Well, lack of two important features that are important to me (at least I don't see it from the photo gallery):

1) 40/20/40 split folding rear seat (or at least a center pass through)

2) Rear A/C vents.

For a luxury SUV, these should be at least optional.

I agree about the Rear A/c vents, but only a minority really cares aout 40/20/40. I never used the 20 section on my previous CRV and most of the RDX's competitors don't have it either. (Only the X3)
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2012 21:56
BlackSeries wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:

Nah..AC vents arent there. Its just an empty space to put some stuff.

Had a look at pictures from chicago auto show.
Yes, you are right... no ac vents.
That's definitely not good for a luxury vehicle.

However, regarding the split rear seat, I think 60/40 is good enough. I would'nt care about 40/20/40.

MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 13:06
40/20/40 is very useful for those who have 2 kids. the middle section folds down to allow loading of all kinds of stuff, including ski/snowboard.

X3 has it, Q5 has it, RX has it, CX-5 has it (upper trims). Heck, VW's Golf and Jetta wagon all have center pass-through. Last Gen CR-V has it.

Not sure how Honda/Acura can call it good packaging, leaving out this useful feature.
NoSpinZone
Profile for NoSpinZone
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 13:31
How about sneaking SH-AWD out of the vehicle and posing it as an "all-new AWD system."
aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 13:56
The technology package is a joke. Stuff like that are already available on Hyundais. That stuff is just common equipment.

I'm curious why Acura is still holding off on offering really technologically advanced features like Blind Spot assist, CMBS, or all around camera systems. That's technology. I mean I understand not offering on a CR-V to "protect" higher up models, but the RDX is premium now. Why are they still withholding features like this? Why can't they just go all out and offer their luxury customers what they want?
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 14:05
aznstuart wrote:
The technology package is a joke. Stuff like that are already available on Hyundais. That stuff is just common equipment.

I'm curious why Acura is still holding off on offering really technologically advanced features like Blind Spot assist, CMBS, or all around camera systems. That's technology. I mean I understand not offering on a CR-V to "protect" higher up models, but the RDX is premium now. Why are they still withholding features like this? Why can't they just go all out and offer their luxury customers what they want?

I have a feeling the mmc will "fix" many of the "problems" that were in the fmc. That's the acura way now, instead of developing new helpful features, hold out on common features for the fmc, "fix" them in the mmc. What innovation?
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 16:44
aznstuart wrote:

To be fair, I don't see Blindspot assist, CMBS, all around camera system as standard or optional equipment for the cars in this class, namely BMW X3, Lexus RX350, and Q5. These true luxury brands don't have stuff that are already available on Hyundais.
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 17:19
Hondarulez wrote:
aznstuart wrote:

To be fair, I don't see Blindspot assist, CMBS, all around camera system as standard or optional equipment for the cars in this class, namely BMW X3, Lexus RX350, and Q5. These true luxury brands don't have stuff that are already available on Hyundais.

Really? Do you normally just post without checking?

Audi Q5 - "Audi side assist - Active at speeds over 19 MPH, Audi side assist helps monitor blind spots and fast-approaching vehicles at a range of 150 ft. When a vehicle is present within the monitored area, the system warns you via LED lights in the exterior mirrors."

BMW X3 - "Camera Systems - The rear view camera—used when backing up and maneuvering into tight spots—shows you what’s behind your car on the iDrive screen. And the Top View camera uses the data collected from the rear view camera to give you a bird’s eye view of your X3 and its surroundings."

Lexus RX350 - "Wide-view Side Monitor - To assist you with parking and when negotiating narrow passes, an available Wide-view Side Monitor [1] camera built into the passenger-side mirror can display an overhead view to the right of the RX at slow speeds or when in reverse."
ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2012 17:30
Yeah, I also agree with you.
But if you notice, Acura always have had the "only offer what is popularly purchased" kinda deal.
Acura/Honda never offers much variability in their products: minimal trims (if any) with 6MT, minimal engine choices, minimal options choices.

If blind spot monitoring is not a popular option say 30% of RDX customers will choose, then Acura won't offer it at all.
That seems the way they roll; it's either standard or not at all.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2012 14:51
aznxthuggie wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
aznstuart wrote:

Audi Q5 - "Audi side assist - Active at speeds over 19 MPH, Audi side assist helps monitor blind spots and fast-approaching vehicles at a range of 150 ft. When a vehicle is present within the monitored area, the system warns you via LED lights in the exterior mirrors."

BMW X3 - "Camera Systems - The rear view camera—used when backing up and maneuvering into tight spots—shows you what’s behind your car on the iDrive screen. And the Top View camera uses the data collected from the rear view camera to give you a bird’s eye view of your X3 and its surroundings."

Lexus RX350 - "Wide-view Side Monitor - To assist you with parking and when negotiating narrow passes, an available Wide-view Side Monitor [1] camera built into the passenger-side mirror can display an overhead view to the right of the RX at slow speeds or when in reverse."

Are you saying that ALL these features are available on ALL the competitors or that the each have one or two extras that are missing from the RDX?
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2012 19:14
I was responding to hondarulez post about those vehicles not having those features, when in fact they do. Not talking about the RDX, not saying All of these have All the features. Try not to read into it.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2012 01:06
aznxthuggie wrote:
I was responding to hondarulez post about those vehicles not having those features, when in fact they do. Not talking about the RDX, not saying All of these have All the features. Try not to read into it.

Not reading anything into it, just asking.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2012 08:26
aznxthuggie wrote:

Is this really how the Audi system works? What am I missing? I can't think of the last time I didn't have another driver within 150 ft. of my car on the roads I drive. I would hate having LEDs in my mirrors on all the time. For that matter I probably wouldn't buy a car having blind spot monitoring or I would find a way to turn it off but that's just me.
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2012 22:53
yea the way i set my mirrors, i just glance over and see if there's a car or not, so this feature isn't as important imo. The only time I wouldn't be able to see is if it's night time and the other car has it's headlights off.
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2012 00:19
Grace141 wrote:
aznxthuggie wrote:

Is this really how the Audi system works? What am I missing? I can't think of the last time I didn't have another driver within 150 ft. of my car on the roads I drive. I would hate having LEDs in my mirrors on all the time. For that matter I probably wouldn't buy a car having blind spot monitoring or I would find a way to turn it off but that's just me.

Yes those things are annoying, but its by by far not only Audi.

At first I thought they are nice, but then they do distract and they are not totally reliable.

Just extra stress for the eyes.

Then again at night I really hate extra lights.
You drive totally concentrated in some dark mountain pass you know its cold, slippery and you need to refill.
But your car is glaring this in your face with at least 3 massive symbols just to be sure you dont concentrate too much on the road.

Oldguy
Profile for Oldguy
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2012 07:36
The Audi system is not annoying. The light intensity is adjustable and can be turned on and off. I have it on my A5. I don't really use it but I find it's just an extra measure of safety. My mirrors are adjusted to see the blind spots so I see vehicles before the blind spot system does.
04EXV6
Profile for 04EXV6
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2012 12:09
No rear a/c vents in $38000 plus vehicle ...I'll be shopping elsewhere
dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2012 11:54
I don't think these are showstopper issues. All Honda/Acuras have rear heat vents that are under the seat. This one doesn't appear to have center mounted vents in the rear of the armrest.

When I had my CRV, I rarely had to put seats down. This is not a concern for me either. I'm not sure how the auto fold seats would work with a 3rd split.

I think these may be nice to haves but would not be a reason for me to not buy this.

dootndo2
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2012 12:32
aznxthuggie wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
aznstuart wrote:

I always post before checking. Although I did miss the Audi Side Assist feature on the $50k+ Audi A5 3.2 Prestige.....my bad. Then again, I was talking about if those competitors have ALL of those options/features available. Does the Q5 have all around camera systems, for example? It says it has a rearview camera system. Does that include top view?

For ALL RDX's, according to Acura, they all come with "a rear view camera system with three unique viewing angles." It doesn't mention anything regarding top view camera, but when it says 3 unique angles....is top view one of them? Will it also have a bird's eye view? Do we have any official info on that?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2012 12:45
Hondarulez wrote:
aznxthuggie wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
aznstuart wrote:

I always post before checking. Although I did miss the Audi Side Assist feature on the $50k+ Audi A5 3.2 Prestige.....my bad. Then again, I was talking about if those competitors have ALL of those options/features available. Does the Q5 have all around camera systems, for example? It says it has a rearview camera system. Does that include top view?

For ALL RDX's, according to Acura, they all come with "a rear view camera system with three unique viewing angles." It doesn't mention anything regarding top view camera, but when it says 3 unique angles....is top view one of them? Will it also have a bird's eye view? Do we have any official info on that?

Acura's backup camera uses one camera with a fisheye lens and then uses software to interpolate the 3 different views. There is a "normal" backup view, a wide angle view, and a "topdown" view, which is useful for backing up to a trailer hitch or close to a wall, pole, etc...
HondaMotorCo007
Profile for HondaMotorCo007
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2012 13:15
04EXV6 wrote:

Am I missing something? There are rear seat ducts under the front seats plus the cabin is small enough that the middle front vents can reach the rear passengers. I can't believe how someone would write of a car because it lacks "rear vents."
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2012 14:00
HondaMotorCo007 wrote:
04EXV6 wrote:

Am I missing something? There are rear seat ducts under the front seats plus the cabin is small enough that the middle front vents can reach the rear passengers. I can't believe how someone would write of a car because it lacks "rear vents."

You're not, have you sat on the second row of a crappy 5 seater SUV without rear A/C vents? God, it's so hot, the window is melting.

/Sarcasm

Some will just complaint for something when they have nothing to complaint. My dad's 04' Accord has no rear A/C vents and I will always ask for the blower to be set on minimum when sitting on the back... That damn A/C unit is just too damn cold (and I live in SE Asia). It's always about quantity over quality these days and people will perceive more vents = cooler, which is never the case.

Some rear A/C vents are just hack jobs, as it's just a duct from the main blower unit in the front. With this ducting, precious vertical space for the console/center arm rest are taken away, if the ducting is too small, it would be useless since less cool air will flow through the back, too big, bye bye useful center console. Now if you have a proper A/C unit and airflow, you never need a rear vent whatsoever. Case in point, Asia's Nissan Grand Livina. This small MPV no bigger than a stretched back USDM Fit that seats 7 has a rear A/C vent which is just a simple ducting from the main blower unit in the front... Lo and behold, it's totally useless it's ridiculous. It only blows cool air when the main blower is at full, even so, the 3rd row didn't get any cool air because the 2nd row seat is obstructing it.

My Honda Freed always got the flack for not having a second blower on the back as it's a 3 row mini-minivan. The Honda sales guy told me the Freed's A/C unit is sprinkled with magic dust (I couldn't understand his gibberish), and thus cools faster than a conventional non magic dusted double blower A/C unit on its competitors... But it's true, my car's A/C blows cooler air faster than the competition. So magic dust or double fan single blower A/C unit thingie, it's about quality of the airflow and never quantity.

I couldn't imagine the RDX A/C unit will not be able to cool the second row properly without a rear vent. Keep it simple, it's a smart luxury, not decadent flamboyant over the top jacuzzi in the back luxury.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2012 16:32
Jeff wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
aznxthuggie wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
aznstuart wrote:

Acura's backup camera uses one camera with a fisheye lens and then uses software to interpolate the 3 different views. There is a "normal" backup view, a wide angle view, and a "topdown" view, which is useful for backing up to a trailer hitch or close to a wall, pole, etc...

Thank you Jeff.

In other words, the end result is that, just like the RX and X3, the Acura system also has a bird's eye/overhead view?

Well, there you go guys :)

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Lack of two key features    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-29-2012 21:16
This is nothing new the ZDX, MDX and I believe the refresh TL has top down view and wide angle. Yes people will complain just to complain. At least the current batch of Acura's you can actually see the camera at night, others not so much.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0