[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX SH-AWD Quick Review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX(CLX)Coupe
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord LX or Sport - Canada
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Most recent pictures of my CNG Civic
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: AWD in RDX/2015 and Forester/2015
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors-Drivers
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 11:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Kinda harsh!

http://www.autoextremist.com/

Acura:
To paraphrase a great Beatles song, “It’s a real Nowhere Brand, sitting in its Nowhere Land, making all its nowhere plans for nobody.” Acura is stuck in a Dead Brand Zone of its own making. It is supposed to represent the ultimate in Honda thinking and expertise; instead it comes across as a non-essential combatant. What is Acura’s reason for being? Exactly. Brand Perception? It barely even registers. Even with the much-touted NSX three years away. Not good.

Honda: Creatively bankrupt, the car company that squandered its legacy is still floundering in a fog of indecision and a infuriating lack of vision. Brand Perception? “I used to be into Hondas back when they were good, now I drive a Hyundai.”

Hyundai: The car company that upsets and then reinvents the status quo with every new model. Confident, relentless and on an upward trajectory in the market that shows no signs of abating, Hyundai is the industry’s Irresistible Force. Brand Perception? Sophisticated engineering, contemporary design and exceptional value.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 12:35
I'm certainly willing do all I can, "eight days a week." ;-)
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 14:02
Jovian8 wrote:
Kinda harsh!

Acura:
To paraphrase a great Beatles song, “It’s a real Nowhere Brand, sitting in its Nowhere Land, making all its nowhere plans for nobody.” Acura is stuck in a Dead Brand Zone of its own making. It is supposed to represent the ultimate in Honda thinking and expertise; instead it comes across as a non-essential combatant. What is Acura’s reason for being? Exactly. Brand Perception? It barely even registers. Even with the much-touted NSX three years away. Not good.

Honda: Creatively bankrupt, the car company that squandered its legacy is still floundering in a fog of indecision and a infuriating lack of vision. Brand Perception? “I used to be into Hondas back when they were good, now I drive a Hyundai.”

Hyundai: The car company that upsets and then reinvents the status quo with every new model. Confident, relentless and on an upward trajectory in the market that shows no signs of abating, Hyundai is the industry’s Irresistible Force. Brand Perception? Sophisticated engineering, contemporary design and exceptional value.

Dunno - he seems to have nailed most of them quite aptly.

Perception isn't necessarily the same as reality; I'm still amazed by how the Germans are perceived, in spite of their "quality issues".

Kinda harsh, but fair. I've been rebuking Acuronda for much of that for some time now.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 14:50
Jovian8 wrote:
Kinda harsh!

Acura:

Peter is a marketing guy and as such deals with perception.

Which is very different from the reality that comes when you buy the car and have to live with it.
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 15:18
TonyE wrote:
Jovian8 wrote:
Kinda harsh!

Acura:

Peter is a marketing guy and as such deals with perception.

Which is very different from the reality that comes when you buy the car and have to live with it.

Nobody makes a bad car these days. This isn't the 1990's where a Ford was an abhorrent car compared to its Honda equivalent. The truth is that the competition is making cars that are just as easy to live with as Honda's and in some cases, even more so.

Peter's right that Acura is not the ultimate in Honda thinking and expertise and that Honda is suffering from a deadly lack of vision.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 16:40
Once again, Delorenzo is full of it. Hyundai branded as sophisticated engineering? Where? Am I looking at the wrong company? Call me when they stop underperforming on the hp and fuel economy ratings and actually manage to develop a ride/handling compromise.

SC
VTECyo!
Profile for VTECyo!
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 16:54
These are very exaggerated. I think the general sentiments of the opinions for Acura, Honda, and Hyundai might be right, but they're very hyperbolic. I (mostly) agree with the comments on Acura, but I do not think that Honda suffers from "...a (sic) infuriating lack of vision." Furthermore, people are not flocking from Hondas in droves as the author would suggest. Honda still pulls higher sales numbers than Hyundai every month, and if that does not indicate anything about perception, I do not know what does. For Hyundai, it is true that many people think Hyundai vehicles represent exceptionally valuable options in competitive segments, but it is not a common feeling that Hyundai "reinvents the status quo with every new model." That statement is ridiculous when applied to any automaker, and it clearly shows where the author's allegiances reside.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 17:08
I guess that's why the name of that site is called "autoEXTREMIST"...lol
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 18:03
notyper wrote:
Once again, Delorenzo is full of it. Hyundai branded as sophisticated engineering? Where? Am I looking at the wrong company? Call me when they stop underperforming on the hp and fuel economy ratings and actually manage to develop a ride/handling compromise.

SC

To deLorenzo, "sophisticated engineering" all lies on the surface: body design, interior design, touchy feely stuff....

I don't think he's ever change his own oil or steamed cleaned an engine.
superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 18:04

Hyundai:
Sophisticated engineering, contemporary design and exceptional value.

I think Copy-Cat Engineering would be the more accurate description!
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 20:14
superchg wrote:

Hyundai:
Sophisticated engineering, contemporary design and exceptional value.

I think Copy-Cat Engineering would be the more accurate description!

...and no good at it - e.g. suspension, DCT, 2.0T...
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 20:53
The other day I heard a friend (who just came back from Australia) this quote when we discussing about his cars:

"The car's (a sports car that you buy not for daily driving) never going to be as reliable as a Hyundai".

That's actually really the first time I heard something like that, because in my town there is about ZERO 10-15 year old Hyundais still on the road. Compared to a ton of 30 year old Toyotas and Hondas still on the road. You might say the Hondas and Toyotas outnumber it, but as recently as 15 years ago I see some Hyundais but now I don't see them anymore.

He drives a Lotus Elise, btw, which probably explains why he thinks a Hyundai is more reliable?
ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 21:02
The core products aren't really affected, even with the misstep in the Civic, but I think if even one of the recent niche products, the CRZ, ZDX, Crosstour or going back a bit, even the Ridgeline had registered higher on the popularity/desirability index it would've greatly helped the brand perception.

HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 21:07
Can anyone tell me what is sophisticated in a Hyundai? I haven't heard of them in sophisticated Formula One. Nor in sophisticated LeMans. Not in sophisticated Indy Car racing. Heck, not even in sophisticated NASCAR.
My perception of Hyundai is a very sophisticated, contemporary, exceptional valued RENTAL car. I do look for a Hyundai in place of a Dodge or Chevy rental car, that is if a Toyota is not available. Enterprise or National rent-a-car is your best bet for Hyundai availability.
Cheers!
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2012 21:35
This guy's comments seemed to have drawn out the ire against the other H specifically, but Hyundai isn't the only brand making gains against Honda for better or worse.

PDL's comments can be quickly and easily dismissed if given confidence in the current and future doings of Honda.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Autoextremist: Brand Perception    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2012 08:31
TonyE wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

To deLorenzo, "sophisticated engineering" all lies on the surface: body design, interior design, touchy feely stuff....

I don't think he's ever change his own oil or steamed cleaned an engine.

Exactly the point. It's 'perception' and that's what the majority of car buyers use.

Most actually know Jack Shit about fuck all & rely on stereotypes & prejudices & received wisdom instead. It's what Top Gear's humour relies upon.

One might aregue these marketing wonks are prostituting the modern car industry to new lows, but that is where it's at, sadly.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0