[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Most recent pictures of my CNG Civic
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Hope everything works out. Very nervous.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Auto Show Season just started.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...Honda needs to put up
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Ron Dennis remarks
Join Discussion......
NSX --> NSX Replica
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Will the 2016 Civic be bigger?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Honda Fit up for Green Car of the Year
Join Discussion......
Accord --> FS: 2013 Accord Coupe V6 6spd Manual *low miles)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Debuts 2013 RDX and All-New ILX Sedan at Chicago Auto Show > > Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Remember people, this car is based off of the CURRENT 2012 Civic, it is NOT an "Earth Dreams" model, The Accord will be the 1st car introduced with this technology..........The people who buy this car will be happy with it's performance and FE because it will have all the electronics, Luxury and fun they need for an every day driver with Acura reliability and resale........

All of you are WAY too overboard on this.......Acura's Earth dream car will be the RL, that car will be the 1st of the NEW design Acura is going. The ILX is the interim of the beginning.......and the RDX is also a part of that.......but the RL will start the ball, then the TL, MDX and others to follow..........We are going to see a big change with Acura in the next 3 years, I said this 2 years ago that in 5 years time that the Acura we see today, (2 years ago talking) 3 years from now......we will not recognize the brand as it was in 2010......

The ILX is not Acuras future, but a mere bridge to what is to come.........in 2014 the TL will be something we ALL will be proud of and the RL will be something we have never thought Acura could build........so for a budget, entry car, it is what it is, a budget, fun car with 3 choices of play.......

To mesh with the NSX, Acura will have to have cars that will fit the puzzle the NSX is part of........so relax, there is a plan, one that is not very clear to all of you right now, but to a few of us, it is VERY clear..........that is about all I can say right now.

If you feel this way about the RL, then I will say that Acura has failed...........but I doubt you will have this response......What I have been told and privileged to understand.......about the RL and the Accord........(NO relationship) I am very satisfied.......but the ILX is NOT part of this.......but it is a very nice car, and will be a fun and solid car to drive.......
rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:21
Given the torrid time Acura dealers have had over the past few years with models whose design guarantees they sell like crap, the ILX is a shot in the arm.

The RDX makes me think of a cheaper Lexus RX330. Or at least I hope its cheaper.

Have to believe that with the RDX's arrival, that the ZDX can be quietly put to sleep.
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: -1, Spam) 02-08-2012 13:24

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:27

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: -1, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:30

SH-AWD10
Profile for SH-AWD10
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:31
None of us has driven the new ILX yet, obviously, but I have driven a Kia Forte. If the Forte really does "embarass" the ILX, that would be newsworthy, as the Forte I drove was a total POS - it was itself embarassing to Kia/Hyundai, who have admittedly come a long way in a short time. It is Kia who should be embarassed about the Forte.
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: -1, Troll) 02-08-2012 13:41

VTECRacer
Profile for VTECRacer
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:48
Has Hyundai passed Suzuki yet?
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:51

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 13:54

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 14:03

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 14:32

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 14:42

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 14:43

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 14:47
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Remember people, this car is based off of the CURRENT 2012 Civic, it is NOT an "Earth Dreams" model, The Accord will be the 1st car introduced with this technology..........The people who buy this car will be happy with it's performance and FE because it will have all the electronics, Luxury and fun they need for an every day driver with Acura reliability and resale........

All of you are WAY too overboard on this.......Acura's Earth dream car will be the RL, that car will be the 1st of the NEW design Acura is going. The ILX is the interim of the beginning.......and the RDX is also a part of that.......but the RL will start the ball, then the TL, MDX and others to follow..........We are going to see a big change with Acura in the next 3 years, I said this 2 years ago that in 5 years time that the Acura we see today, (2 years ago talking) 3 years from now......we will not recognize the brand as it was in 2010......

The ILX is not Acuras future, but a mere bridge to what is to come.........in 2014 the TL will be something we ALL will be proud of and the RL will be something we have never thought Acura could build........so for a budget, entry car, it is what it is, a budget, fun car with 3 choices of play.......

To mesh with the NSX, Acura will have to have cars that will fit the puzzle the NSX is part of........so relax, there is a plan, one that is not very clear to all of you right now, but to a few of us, it is VERY clear..........that is about all I can say right now.

If you feel this way about the RL, then I will say that Acura has failed...........but I doubt you will have this response......What I have been told and privileged to understand.......about the RL and the Accord........(NO relationship) I am very satisfied.......but the ILX is NOT part of this.......but it is a very nice car, and will be a fun and solid car to drive.......

What a load of bullsh*t.

"The ILX is the interim of the beginning"...car companies don't spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars on R&D and related certifications for a new model expecting it to fail. Has it occured to you that Honda just has absolutely no idea how to position Acura and is now just trying to squeeze profit (i.e. $25k Civic) from it???
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 14:48

ldvknight
Profile for ldvknight
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 14:55
Chris_6MT wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

What a load of bullsh*t.

"The ILX is the interim of the beginning"...car companies don't spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars on R&D and related certifications for a new model expecting it to fail. Has it occured to you that Honda just has absolutely no idea how to position Acura and is now just trying to squeeze profit (i.e. $25k Civic) from it???

My thoughts exactly...why spend all this money to release a car that will be obsolete in the next year? Maybe Honda is lowering there standards so that when "Earthdreams" comes out it will be such an improvement over the current retrograded powertrains that we will all shout with joy.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 15:41
It staggers me that someone with the grandiose title of "Assistant Manager, Strategic Planning, Hyundai Motors America" and an American and South African university education, cannot write English properly.....apart from the ethics of what she has been doing.

Anyway, I think most of the gripes against the ILX are down to EPA and engine/tranny choices. Acura could have put the Accord's auto and gearing in this car and got way better mileage figures. The existing Accord claims 49mpg highway in canada and 34mpg (US) in the US. With a higher compression engine, less weight, better cd and smaller frontal area the ILX would have to be at least 36 (US). Same difference city-wise.

But EPA often bears little relationship to reality. The 2.4 at least may turn out to be a very nice compact car. Maybe not worthy of the TSX replacement title but if it is cheap enough....
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 16:15
Chris_6MT wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

What a load of bullsh*t.

Chris, where did I say the ILX failed????? Please show me that in my post???

"so for a budget, entry car, it is what it is, a budget, fun car with 3 choices of play........but the ILX is NOT part of this.......but it is a very nice car, and will be a fun and solid car to drive....... " The ILX is not part of the Earth Dreams that Acura and Honda is moving towards.......Acura is not any other brand but Acura. It can't follow Hyundai, Ford or anyone else, no matter how much we want it to be something it's not, it will be what it is. It is changing, it hears us, but these plans for the ILX have been in the works since 2010 and they were not going to spend more time delaying the car....This is my opinion, not fact from Acura.............Just based on what I have seen and heard..........it's my feelings of my puzzle I put together.........

There is nothing in this that says failure.........it is quite positive.........
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 18:59
HONDA AFVM wrote:

I actually think there is truth to this. To refresh everyone's memory, there was a Honda Shareholder's presentation and a "future compact Acura" was on the 2012 timeline... the last car to use the traditional IMA hybrid drivetrain.

The backlash here is so severe because Honda built up expectations with this car. They showed off Earth Dreams technology that promised to revive Honda's lineup of gasoline engines.

What we got feels half-baked. Acura got the exterior design right. They got the interior right. And then they stuck in an old drivetrain that is just not competitive. 150 Horsepower? EPA ratings of 24/32? Bullshit. As I've said before, a fatass, oversized 8G Accord with a 5AT gets 2 MPG better highway fuel economy, and nearly as good city fuel economy.

If the fuel economy had been 26/36, or about in line with the 8G Civic, you wouldn't be seeing a lot of this outrage. I'd like to ask Acura just what the hell is the point of using a 2.0L motor if the fuel economy sucks? The hybrid is even worse. With 111 horsepower, it'll be slower than the Civic Hybrid. Being a heavier car, I'd guess that its power to weight ratio is so bad that it would get its ass handed to it by an Insight.

I'll rail a bit more about why there's no 6MT option for the 2.0L engine. For this reason alone I wouldn't buy an ILX. The 2.4L is too thirsty and requires premium fuel. I realize that this is a business decision as Gen Y is overwhelmingly too damn lazy to drive a manual, but it still pisses me off.
VTECRacer
Profile for VTECRacer
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 19:21
atomiclightbulb wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

I actually think there is truth to this. To refresh everyone's memory, there was a Honda Shareholder's presentation and a "future compact Acura" was on the 2012 timeline... the last car to use the traditional IMA hybrid drivetrain.

The backlash here is so severe because Honda built up expectations with this car. They showed off Earth Dreams technology that promised to revive Honda's lineup of gasoline engines.

What we got feels half-baked. Acura got the exterior design right. They got the interior right. And then they stuck in an old drivetrain that is just not competitive. 150 Horsepower? EPA ratings of 24/32? Bullshit. As I've said before, a fatass, oversized 8G Accord with a 5AT gets 2 MPG better highway fuel economy, and nearly as good city fuel economy.

If the fuel economy had been 26/36, or about in line with the 8G Civic, you wouldn't be seeing a lot of this outrage. I'd like to ask Acura just what the hell is the point of using a 2.0L motor if the fuel economy sucks? The hybrid is even worse. With 111 horsepower, it'll be slower than the Civic Hybrid. Being a heavier car, I'd guess that its power to weight ratio is so bad that it would get its ass handed to it by an Insight.

I'll rail a bit more about why there's no 6MT option for the 2.0L engine. For this reason alone I wouldn't buy an ILX. The 2.4L is too thirsty and requires premium fuel. I realize that this is a business decision as Gen Y is overwhelmingly too damn lazy to drive a manual, but it still pisses me off.

That's really what it's all about. Aside for the drivetrain and fuel economy, the car is spot on.

It's one thing if the ILX came with these drivetrains but had stellar fuel economy ratings, but have these drivetrains and fuel economy that is average for what it is makes it hard to accept. To top it off, the fact that it is apparently just using the HCH setup (even though I swore it was gonna be the CR-Z setup), it gets significantly less MPG. Was that much weight really added to this car? I understand it has to do with tires and aerodynamics also, but it just seems like a significant drop.

I just hope Acura doesn't wait for three years until the MMC to give it the EDT drivetrains.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 19:22
atomiclightbulb wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

What we got is the Integra/RSX 2.0, with four doors and a hybrid added. The base model is the Integra RS/GS and the 2.4 model is the Type S. It is even placed in the market against the Civic about the same (pending actual pricing) and the HP and fuel economy haven't changed much either in the last 7 years, which is what makes this car so disappointing. The exterior and interior however are great, just need the right powertrains added.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 20:02
Where is our resident "you guys don't get it...my sources have confirmed this...I love my CR-Z drivetrain, this is definitely going into the ILX...this won't get the HCH set up" prognosticator in any of the ILX threads? Nowhere, absolutely nowhere because he was 100% dead wrong.

Dropping the HCH set up in the "luxury" ILX is asking, begging the auto media and consumers to suck it hard. Pay more, get less...that's the new mantra for the ILX.
Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: What is this car, REALLY? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 21:34
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

What a load of bullsh*t.

Chris, where did I say the ILX failed????? Please show me that in my post???

"so for a budget, entry car, it is what it is, a budget, fun car with 3 choices of play........but the ILX is NOT part of this.......but it is a very nice car, and will be a fun and solid car to drive....... " The ILX is not part of the Earth Dreams that Acura and Honda is moving towards.......Acura is not any other brand but Acura. It can't follow Hyundai, Ford or anyone else, no matter how much we want it to be something it's not, it will be what it is. It is changing, it hears us, but these plans for the ILX have been in the works since 2010 and they were not going to spend more time delaying the car....This is my opinion, not fact from Acura.............Just based on what I have seen and heard..........it's my feelings of my puzzle I put together.........

There is nothing in this that says failure.........it is quite positive.........

I didn't say that you said that it failed, re-read my post. I said that it WILL fail. You insinuated that it's a mediocre vehicle, which I wholly agree with. Mediocrity has shown itself throughout history to be a harbinger of failure. I'm just putting 2 and 2 together. Don't come up with 7 on me because you're blindly hoping that there are enough suckers to buy this. It will blend in to the background of its class and be cross shopped against Sonatas, Accords, Camrys, etc. This kind of vehicle was barely acceptable 10 years ago, let alone now.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 22:08
Torque wrote:
Where is our resident "you guys don't get it...my sources have confirmed this...I love my CR-Z drivetrain, this is definitely going into the ILX...this won't get the HCH set up" prognosticator in any of the ILX threads? Nowhere, absolutely nowhere because he was 100% dead wrong.

Dropping the HCH set up in the "luxury" ILX is asking, begging the auto media and consumers to suck it hard. Pay more, get less...that's the new mantra for the ILX.

I will be the 1st to admit my source was dead wrong........and I think they were kept in the dark until the last minute because I really don't think by their reaction that they were as confused as me. I was under the total impression that it would be available in a manual hybrid, HP in the 130 range, the Auto would have a 7 speed paddle shift and it would have a 3 mode like the CRZ..........but it would have exclusive mode names to Acura......So you can post the blame on my misinformation..........if I lead anyone in the wrong direction, but I always make it clear that it's a source and nothing is set in stone..........I have been wrong before and right on other things..........
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 22:22
I don't and won't blame you for anything your souce(s) tell you, but I think maybe they are blowing sunshine somewhere. They're in the business of selling cars, too. The 210hp Si turned into 201 for example... you even had a source explain why the 9th Civic lost its sliding cupholder cover from the 8th gen, "because the parking brake lever was relocated". Well...

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 22:54
330R wrote:
you even had a source explain why the 9th Civic lost its sliding cupholder cover from the 8th gen, "because the parking brake lever was relocated". Well...

*$%&! $(#!!

Not only is there a cupholder cover, but a MANUAL transmission in an EX-L model. Fuck. What the fuck Honda. People in smaller markets get these options, but American customers can't unless they opt for the de-contented LX trim?

I swear this makes me want to buy a Subaru next time. At least they offer a manual transmission option on USDM trims equivalent to the EX.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 23:02
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Torque wrote:

I will be the 1st to admit my source was dead wrong........and I think they were kept in the dark until the last minute because I really don't think by their reaction that they were as confused as me. I was under the total impression that it would be available in a manual hybrid, HP in the 130 range, the Auto would have a 7 speed paddle shift and it would have a 3 mode like the CRZ..........but it would have exclusive mode names to Acura......So you can post the blame on my misinformation..........if I lead anyone in the wrong direction, but I always make it clear that it's a source and nothing is set in stone..........I have been wrong before and right on other things..........

HONDA AFVM, I actually wasn't talking about you at all. No hard feelings, but you usually do have pretty good info even though we don't always agree all of the time. But, that is the nature of being long standing members of this community. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 23:35
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Torque wrote:

I must say looking back over the years you have been right or close on some of your speculations,specifically the NSX speculations. We can't always be right especially when we are depending on sources. Who knows maybe Honda decided to switch at the last minutes, but whatever the reason the ILX does not look good on paper and I hope that this is not a sign of future cheapening of Acura products. It is one thing to hold your position but to completely degrade your product does not look good and they might as well not bother trying to call themselves luxury. This is coming from a guy that swears by Acura and over the years have defended their advantages over the competition, but moves like this are making my arguments tougher and tougher.
jero
Profile for jero
Re: What is this car, REALLY? - Integra 2.0 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 23:42

AFVM... I think it is time you quit trusting your sources. You chided everyone over their low ball predictions on both the Civic Si and the ILX, and you were dead wrong both times.

This car is nothing more than we all KNEW it would be. A glossed over plastic @ss civic.

150hp/140tq?! premium nameplate, smart luxury?!?! Can't wait to see the base performance numbers and with the crap EPA icing on the cake?!

LMAO!!!

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0