[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: HONDA CR-V AWD Fail!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Amazing "2WD" Honda CR-V
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: What is the Swedish word for "lame"?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: V8 Supercars Bathurst 1000
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Standard Wheels On 4 Cyl. Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Debuts 2013 RDX and All-New ILX Sedan at Chicago Auto Show > > Re: A public relations disaster for Acura

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 20:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I've been looking at the reaction to the ILX on other car sites. The drivetrains are getting a very negative reaction. Contempt is the best way I can describe it.

I really do not see how Acura could have failed to anticipate this response. The fuel economy ratings are so low compared to other cars with 1.8 and 2.0 Liter engines (and even larger 2.4L engines) that they should have known this would be a public relations problem.

If there are engineering or design reasons for the lackluster fuel economy rating on the 2.0L base engine, Acura officials should have been proactive in talking to the press about it. If they wanted the car to be faster at the expense of EPA rating, they should talk about that. With extra weight, it looks like the ILX 2.0L will be no faster than a Civic, while losing a massive 7 MPG on the highway, and 4 MPG in the city. This is the obvious conclusion, but if it's not the case, Acura should say so. This is yet another bungle that Honda/Acura could have avoided.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 20:16
When I first read about the ILX specs, actually I didn't think very much of it, until I realized how terrible the 2 litre engine was (nevermind the 2.4 litre's output).

This is a well styled car, one that for all intents and purposes is also well equipped. And then Honda decides to put in powertrains that by all accounts is neither economical, nor powerful. Even if this car was priced at $25K, I just don't see it being competitive with really much of anything.
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 20:55
Basically... I just don't think the leadership gives a shit.

As long as there are enough people purchasing the product that H/A meets sales targets and turns a profit, the factories are humming along, they're not being fined by the EPA for gas guzzlers or emissions violations, they're getting five star safety ratings, have high residuals and low fleet sales... as long as they're within the finely calculated margins that keep the operation safe... I refer you back to my opening statement.

The company is too complacent, too arrogant, and I want them to be humbled like you wouldn't believe. I want them to be brought to the brink sometimes, to force their lazy asses to try hard again. I don't care who takes issue with me saying that. But 50,000 people bought the 2012 Civic last month, and as long as people continue to accept cynical decontenting and Honda's top-down couldn't be bothered to do more attitude, what are they ever going to learn? It will take a very long time for enough people to stop buying Hondas and Acuras simply out of habit! TOV is demanding as hell. The mass market consumer, perhaps not so much. The focus group participant, probably has good intentions but is gamed by clinics that have already concluded what they want to hear.

330R
Profile for 330R
Re: A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 21:00
Correction: 20,000 people bought the 2012 Civic (in the US) last month. Don't know where I got 50k from.
adrianchew
Profile for adrianchew
Re: A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 21:30
330R wrote:
Basically... I just don't think the leadership gives a shit.

Have you heard? Ito's already taken back that the Civic will get redesigned anytime soon, given the sales numbers are looking much better now.

I hope they do a bit of minor stuffs and feature/trim level changes at least though. But who knows.
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 21:36
I did, and two days later I read a report that substantial revisions are in store and it looks like a September rollout for the '13 (going by memory here).

If there's one constant in H/A media reports, US, Europe, or Asia-based, it's that you can expect contradictions. You can almost set your watch to them.

I think sometimes it comes down to the Japanese way of speaking in vaguaries you could sail a flotilla though.
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 21:43
The criticism of the 2012 Civic was so severe that it actually did prompt Honda to respond. It came first from enthusiasts and other car people. Then it came from THE MEDIA. That's when Mendel, Iwamura and Ito change their underwear.

We'll see how much they improve the interior, the ride, and the Camry ass.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: A public relations disaster for Acura [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 23:09
330R wrote:
The company is too complacent, too arrogant, and I want them to be humbled like you wouldn't believe. I want them to be brought to the brink sometimes, to force their lazy asses to try hard again. I don't care who takes issue with me saying that. But 50,000 people bought the 2012 Civic last month, and as long as people continue to accept cynical decontenting and Honda's top-down couldn't be bothered to do more attitude, what are they ever going to learn? It will take a very long time for enough people to stop buying Hondas and Acuras simply out of habit!

The competition is going to have to do better in order for the marketplace to push Honda to improve more.

Believe me, I've examined and inspected the competition. They have gotten much better, but right now, pretty much every compact car except the new Subaru Impreza has at least one (and sometimes more than one) deficiency that is serious enough to keep it from being clearly ahead of the Civic. The Focus is close. If it didn't feel so cramped and had a better transmission, Honda would be reeling right now. Quality of the SE and SEL trims is outstanding, and the car just feels much more expensive than it really is.

I really hope the sneaky Subaru puts Honda on notice. It has a balance in its engineering that the other compacts do not. Too bad it has large wheel arches like the TSX. That's pretty much the only thing I'm not a fan of on the sedan version. On the hatch it actually looks like they belong.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0