[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
More.......................
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Honda's Roadgoing Moto GP Replica Bike Unveiled
2015 Acura TLX Earns 2014 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+
Honda and Acura release October sales results
TLX --> Re: TLX Test Drive Event
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda is working on an A-segment car(Fit junior)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Consumer Reports full review
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2016 Civic Rumors
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors - Video - A New Era
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota Employees Approaching Honda
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Dont test drive a 2015 CRV!!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad Paint on my 14' Accord
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2016 Mazda CX-3 Debuts, Already Owns All Other Tiny Crossovers
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Heard On The Street
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Cadillac's boss is cocky but truthful.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Honda Link
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Customer feedback to Honda
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: LA show video confirms new Pilot & Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Debuts 2013 RDX and All-New ILX Sedan at Chicago Auto Show > > Re: Meanwhile over at BMW...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5
Author

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 01:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
328i 240 hp, 255 ft-lbs - 24/36 mpg w/auto - 23/34 mpg w/manual.

I don't care that the 328i costs $35,000k. The ILX numbers are a joke. The fact that Honda thinks this is car is worthy of their elite brand is embarrassing. I don't care that I haven't driven it either...how good could this car drive to justify 150hp and 32 mpgs? How does 32 mpgs even help CAFE numbers?
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 01:10
Maybe Neal's Fantasy Factory can get the ILX an engine/transmission combo too.
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: -1, Spam) 02-08-2012 01:11

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
Ganplosive
Profile for Ganplosive
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 01:17
disappointing, to say the least.

Price point marketing just doesn't work in the luxury game. Even if it does bring new people into the fold, luxury ALWAYS EQUALS GETTING MORE. Other brands will be more than ready to take these new lux customers off of Acura's hands
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-08-2012 02:05

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 02:21

When the current RL was released in 2005, it was received very well and sold decently atleast initially. But the ILX specs look obsolete and so non-luxury on day 0.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 05:08
No earth dreams and no innovation.The 150 h.p ILX, with it's 5 speed auto and 24/32 mpg lags behind the competition in power and mileage. BMW has focused on the need for efficiency and performance in the new 3 series, and delivered.

The ILX does not deliver, and until Honda focuses on actually improving their gas powered car drivetrains, they are in a world of shit!

p.s. Why talk about earth dreams when you aren't even ready to deliver the goods?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 05:48
Sooo, it doesn't fit into the 328 category.

It doesn't fit into the Elantra category.

Er, maybe it fits between them?

Funniest thread for a while!
Stien Azani
Profile for Stien Azani
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 06:26
obviously all the complainer here are not the Gen-Y people.... where the looks and price is the major factor..
VTECyo!
Profile for VTECyo!
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 06:50
Gen Y wants a car that looks good, of course, and price is a major factor for any generation, but I cannot imagine that the targeted buyers will not notice the ILXs shortcomings. I applaud Acura for offering several powertrains (they have been reticent to do that for almost their entire existence), but in my opinion they are not competitive enough. The 2.4 probably is not sporty enough to warrant a price premium over the base 2.0 which is not fast enough to be in a luxury car! (I consider the ILX a luxury car, even if it is only "near-luxury") The 1.5 hybrid is a major disappointment because its fuel economy is totally lackluster, and the acceleration will be downright slow.

On the other hand, I think the styling of the ILX (especially the production version) is absolutely beautiful. It's simple, modern, and very attractive (to me). When Acura sticks some earth dreams tech in this car, it will be MUCH more competitive.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 09:34
Stien Azani wrote:
obviously all the complainer here are not the Gen-Y people.... where the looks and price is the major factor..

Gen-Y buyers want the whole package: looks, feature content, attractive price, AND eco-friendly. The price is still unknown, but I think this car is hitting the mark on looks and features (mostly).

The biggest miss I'm seeing are the engines:

#1 - The projected EPA ratings are sub-par. Whether it's down to weight, gearing, or something else remains to be seen. But given the less than stellar power ratings from both the 2.0L base and Si transplant 2.4L, it is a standout.

#2 - To offer the "green" solution, they've presented a hybrid model. That's fine, but you can't ignore being "green" in the other models -- the non-hybrid EPA numbers seem lacking.

Gen-Y wants to have their cake and eat it, too. It seems like they may have missed the mark a bit in the drivetrain department. Unless the prices come in below expectations, I think there is competition out there that seems more attractive on paper.

Ryan
trixster861
Profile for trixster861
A Gen Y's Impressions... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 09:38
I've been on the VTEC boards for many years...I suppose I've never really considered how many of us Gen Y-er's there are around here reading so I'll offer my 2 cents as well...

To preface, I'm current in an 03 CR-V, and have driven numerous over the years through immediate family vehicles and various friends.

Most recently I have been interested in getting a commuter vehicle, for the purposes of long-distance business related travel that would simply allow me to spend less on fuel vs my current vehicle and also keep the miles low on a car that already has 150k+.

I, like many Gen Y-ers, are very brand centric. We know what we want and we usually will bend our perceptions a bit to fit a brand we trust and support. Therefore my initial proceedings for product searches (like a new vehicle) always start at Honda (and likewise Acura).

Up until a few weeks ago I was most interested in the CR-Z, Insight and Civic Hybrid. Of course the universal panning of the Civic has turned me off somewhat, and even in person the exterior looks are not very impressive. However, a 44mpg drivetrain dipping to 36mpg is somewhat disappointing.

That being said, the ILX offers Gen Y-ers an Acura hybrid. That's the selling point. Not how much HP it has, not how many gears it has, just a drivetrain. This is not an enthusiast car. That's what the 2.4L is (supposed) to be. We can all agree the drivetrains were rushed, but in the end, Acura now has a hybrid to offer.

Long story short, this vehicle makes enough of an impression on me that I will definitely be test driving it. I'm not committed to the vehicle, am still disappointed at the mileage, but ultimately how it drives and the final pricing they determine will impact my purchasing decision.

To stay somewhat on topic though, BMW has been making enormous strides in the power- and drivetrain departments. Of course this creates a mark-up in price, but Honda does need to take this seriously because at the $50,000 bracket (like the RL), even as a Honda fan I am seeing less benefits of going with the Honda choice, particularly when other companies outmatch it in fuel economy.

I am glad to see that the ILX release has generated so much controversy though...in many ways it has incited a lot of opinions and I hope Acura takes them to heart at MMC.
Phil17
Profile for Phil17
Re: A Gen Y's Impressions... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 09:55
i would rather get a slightly used BMW than a new ILX to be honest...
Tigerriot
Profile for Tigerriot
Re: A Gen Y's Impressions... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 10:20
trixster861 wrote:

I am glad to see that the ILX release has generated so much controversy though...in many ways it has incited a lot of opinions and I hope Acura takes them to heart at MMC.

Or they could just, you know, make a car the right way from the start, so people don't have to pine for major improvements 3 years later.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 11:03
In fact I think the ILX is just what the Dr. ordered, essentially a posh, well finished Civic Si. I bet it will sell in droves! Good looking to boot! A worthy succesor to the RSX. Im also digging the RDX. A CRV with an upgraded Ody engine, also very good looking IMO another, winner which should run circles around the X3. Comparing the ILX to the 328 is futile they are entirely different class of cars one is a FWD "lux" economy sedan priced in the high 20's low 30's the other one is a RWD luxury sedan that cant be bought for less than 40, completely apples and oranges.
NoSpinZone
Profile for NoSpinZone
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 11:44
6SPDTL,

Come. On.

This thing is pathetic compared to the competition. Maybe it shouldn't compete with the 328 on all fronts, but at the VERY F*CKING LEAST a 2.4 in a smaller, lighter FWD car should get better mileage than the 328, not significantly worse.

This thing is an embarassment.
sickyute
Profile for sickyute
Re: Meanwhile over at BMW... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 11:50
NoSpinZone wrote:
6SPDTL,

Come. On.

This thing is pathetic compared to the competition. Maybe it shouldn't compete with the 328 on all fronts, but at the VERY F*CKING LEAST a 2.4 in a smaller, lighter FWD car should get better mileage than the 328, not significantly worse.

This thing is an embarassment.

not necessarily better. but close to or comparable. def not significantly worse as it stands.