[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: TLX Steel wheels ?
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TODAY IS MY LAST DAY IN MY 40'S.........
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT 2015 Mustang review
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Where are the sport hybrids???
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Singapore Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2014 Paris Auto Show Surprises!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Rendering: Fit Type-R
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Truck more or less
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Silly little European engines
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda FCEV update
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: More Tidbits on the 2015 Honda CR-V
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: Why no 3 Stage VTEC?
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > New NSX video from Honda Japan shows NSX with Honda Grill > > Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 10:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I was really hoping that the new NSX & all the other things that Honda has planned, would rekindle their efforts to launching Acura in Japan & elsewhere again. Hopefully this video of a Honda NSX does not come to fruition ... it would be nice if it were an Acura everywhere.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 10:55
TSX69 wrote:
I was really hoping that the new NSX & all the other things that Honda has planned, would rekindle their efforts to launching Acura in Japan & elsewhere again. Hopefully this video of a Honda NSX does not come to fruition ... it would be nice if it were an Acura everywhere.

To be brutally honest, I'm not enamoured of the "Acura" thing. From a purely personal, antipodean perspective, it seems un-necessary for most markets, and an "Americanization" of Honda that has had few benefits to my eye.
P54
Profile for P54
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 12:21
sadlerau wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

To be brutally honest, I'm not enamoured of the "Acura" thing. From a purely personal, antipodean perspective, it seems un-necessary for most markets, and an "Americanization" of Honda that has had few benefits to my eye.

.....and an "Americanization" of Honda that has had few benefits to my eye.

Are you paying attention Honda, stick to your roots, leave the "Americanization" out, don't try to be the other guy. See how your sales have suffered when trying to be what you are not to be. Be yourselves, stick to the proven Honda formula that everybody loves and forget the Acura nose. Make Acura and Honda the Honda way, do not be fooled by the "American" sway. It was the Honda of the past that conquered America, now don't let America conquer you.

aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 12:24
sadlerau wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

That's my though too. Having acura is nice, but honda itself is a strong brand that, outside of the US and a handful of markets that must have luxury items, does very well with it's own name. Personally i'd be fine with only 1 honda brand in the US, but people in the US are materialistic, and having a luxury division helps them in sales.. i guess..

Wouldn't it be great if there was only 1 of each of the honda cars based on size/function? I guess that's just my narrow minded insight, but I'd be glad to have a honda accord sized vehicle that has higher end features without the luxury name or resulting price. Instead we get 2 brands, honda, which is visibly stripped of premium features you can easily find in any other market, and acura, for the most part, dressed up hondas with more powerful hardware.. and a price to match.. but still do not compete in prestige or power w/ other luxury makes.. sigh...
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 12:54
Oddly enough, that video inspired me to surf around Autotrader for used NSX.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 13:08
P54 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

Are you paying attention Honda, stick to your roots, leave the "Americanization" out, don't try to be the other guy. See how your sales have suffered when trying to be what you are not to be. Be yourselves, stick to the proven Honda formula that everybody loves and forget the Acura nose. Make Acura and Honda the Honda way, do not be fooled by the "American" sway. It was the Honda of the past that conquered America, now don't let America conquer you.

What is your definition of the Honda way?
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 13:41
They once believed in following no one.

Last edited by NealX on 02-03-2012 13:49
kidoairaku
Profile for kidoairaku
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 14:26
isnt that how they ended up with the 2012 Civic?
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-03-2012 18:06

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 19:29
DCR wrote:
Oddly enough, that video inspired me to surf around Autotrader for used NSX.

You could do a lot worse than joining our club! :) I waited 14 years from the time I saw the NSX on the cover of Wheels Magazine, till I finally had the means to purchase one. But it was a dream that did not diminish, and my first time driving one just confirmed I had to finally own one.

And for most of us, we can ignore the saying "never wish to meet your heroes, for they can only disappoint in not meeting your imaginings".

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/01/1991-acura-nsx-as-good-as-youd-imagine.html
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 19:50
If your serious DCR, you could do a lot worse than to spend time at NSX Prime. I did, and I live in Australia :)
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 19:53
aznxthuggie wrote:

That's my though too. Having acura is nice, but honda itself is a strong brand that, outside of the US and a handful of markets that must have luxury items, does very well with it's own name. Personally i'd be fine with only 1 honda brand in the US, but people in the US are materialistic, and having a luxury division helps them in sales.. i guess..

Isn't it funny that they feel the need to develop Acura, but they are marketing an "Executive" class aeroplane as the HondaJet?? :)
MuGen7Modulo
Profile for MuGen7Modulo
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 21:36
P54 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

Amen!
P54
Profile for P54
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2012 00:06
Longhorn wrote:

What is your definition of the Honda way?

That could turn into a long story, but to do it the Honda way:

#1: K.I.S.M.
#2: Follow the leader, about leadership and innovation
#3: Performance first, man maximum, machine minimum
#4: Joy of selling
#5: Joy of buying
#6: Customer satisfaction

After the passing of the old man the company lost the driving force, the inspirational leader, back then Ayrton Senna once called Honda "the greatest company in the world".

Honda turned into dream stage, the "Power of Dreams" that never came true. It took a nightmare to wake them up.

To be fair, Honda still has it within themselves to innovate and lead, see Asimo and HondaJet, however Honda once said never copy others but innovate and lead, in all areas of the vehicle.
Sadly that part of Honda got lost, it slowly became "Americanized" and looked to others, to the very ones that used to look to Honda for inspiration.

When Acura was founded they started with 60 dealers in 18 states (1986) and with only 2 models, the Legend and Integra they sold more than 290000 units the 3 first years. Cars made the Honda way. Now they have 7 models of Acura and plenty more dealers, however sales are not much better now than what they did back in the 80's with only two models,.... made the Honda way.

Sorry it took me so long, thought I should only answer #1, however you might have asked what is that and then I had to tell you more anyway.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2012 03:25
kidoairaku wrote:
isnt that how they ended up with the 2012 Civic?

That. LOL.

Can't please everyone
fatbloke
Profile for fatbloke
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2012 04:09
TSX69 wrote:

God no, please make it a Honda in Europe. Formula one, touring cars, Ayrton Senna, Type R. Who the hells Acura!
CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2012 10:31
Mr. Ito recently said in Japan that he had said it would debut in 3 years in the US but he also knew how difficult it is to deliver a car on schedle as things happen. So let's just say 3 years+(alpha) for (Japan's) debut.

Another rumour is that the hybrid drive train for their GT300 new hybrid CRZ race car is said to be prelude to the new 2nd-gen-NSX Super GT hybrid race car.
It is called the racing hybrid engine system or something. I don't know the GT300's rules so i have no idea. But it doesn't sound like a 1.6l turbo hybrid to me.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2012 01:59
P54 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

I'm not sure if you realize this... but Japan today is not the same Japan that created the original NSX.

I think it really says something when it seems that majority of Japanese vehicles are kei-cars, that most seem to have no need for cars because of their transit system (i.e. they're more interested in tech gadgets), and that the only Japanese automaker currently offering anything for enthusiasts is Toyota/Subaru. You also get the sense from people in the know, like DanielGR, that the Japanese are more interested in high efficiency practical vehicles than anything sporty and fun.

We also see that the Japanese might be increasingly out of touch with the American consumer. The ILX concept seems to be what the US styling team had in mind when they wanted to go to the 9th generation Civic; but instead, Honda of Japan stuck with what we see now. Selling well, sure... but it's not really an effort worthy of the Honda name.

I think it also says something when Honda told AHM to develop and mass produce the new NSX. It's telling me that the pulse of Japanese cars has been massively slowed and that for the first time, Honda needs to rely on its US arm for a shot in the arm in terms of enthusiast products. It almost seems like AHM was internally pushing for such a car, so they were ultimately given the responsibility to make it.
MarkR
Profile for MarkR
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2012 10:55
CarPhreakD wrote:
P54 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

I'm not sure if you realize this... but Japan today is not the same Japan that created the original NSX.

I think it really says something when it seems that majority of Japanese vehicles are kei-cars, that most seem to have no need for cars because of their transit system (i.e. they're more interested in tech gadgets), and that the only Japanese automaker currently offering anything for enthusiasts is Toyota/Subaru. You also get the sense from people in the know, like DanielGR, that the Japanese are more interested in high efficiency practical vehicles than anything sporty and fun.

We also see that the Japanese might be increasingly out of touch with the American consumer. The ILX concept seems to be what the US styling team had in mind when they wanted to go to the 9th generation Civic; but instead, Honda of Japan stuck with what we see now. Selling well, sure... but it's not really an effort worthy of the Honda name.

I think it also says something when Honda told AHM to develop and mass produce the new NSX. It's telling me that the pulse of Japanese cars has been massively slowed and that for the first time, Honda needs to rely on its US arm for a shot in the arm in terms of enthusiast products. It almost seems like AHM was internally pushing for such a car, so they were ultimately given the responsibility to make it.

Great wrap-up CarPhreakD, without being an industry expert but highly enthusiastic about cars it does seem like the japanese have of course not "lost it", but really are not even trying to make cars like the americans & europeans any longer.

High-tech electronics is their game and they are good at it, I just got my new camera, the Sony A77 which is a technical marvel.

From a marketing standpoint, could they maybe create a total different thing, Honda the maker of personal communication devices, almost teletransportation, a box you sit in for 2h and you are there. Not talk about cars, cars are 90s something like panzerwagens from germany, but Honda creates transportation devices. High tech, electric, slow, extremely safe, very pleasant and with superb in-device entertainment.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2012 12:21
MarkR wrote:

From a marketing standpoint, could they maybe create a total different thing, Honda the maker of personal communication devices, almost teletransportation, a box you sit in for 2h and you are there. Not talk about cars, cars are 90s something like panzerwagens from germany, but Honda creates transportation devices. High tech, electric, slow, extremely safe, very pleasant and with superb in-device entertainment.

A scary thought MarkR, but perhaps bang on the money :(
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2012 13:34
You can't really blame Japan for everything though. What it does mean is that Honda needs to let its European and American arm have more power over their own destinies, flexing its global power. I think the new NSX kind of marks this transition in power as I'm betting that Americans are more vocal and have more demand for an NSX than the Japanese themselves do.
CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2012 16:56
Another thing.
I didn't read Mr. Ito's whole comment. I've read an article on the web, fragments of his comment.

My interpretation(not translation) is this.
They will debut a new Super GT racing car based on this new 2nd-gen NSX. Ir sounded like they're commited it to a hybrid race car. He said that his engineers are excited about dual nature or charachter of hybrid, performance and economy.
The core hybrid technology of the new NSX is still developing/progressing at JHM's R&D so the powertrain will be co-developed with AHM's R&D.
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2012 17:47
CarPhreakD wrote:

Maybe in some parts of Japan that might be the case, but even when I was living in Okinawa, the poorest prefecture in all of Japan, the majority of cars were not kei cars. There were more there per capita than there are here, but there you definitely needed a car. Mass transit is incredible here, but the roadways are still completely full except for 2am~5am and it is not kei cars filling the lanes.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2012 22:38
IntegraDC5R wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

Maybe in some parts of Japan that might be the case, but even when I was living in Okinawa, the poorest prefecture in all of Japan, the majority of cars were not kei cars. There were more there per capita than there are here, but there you definitely needed a car. Mass transit is incredible here, but the roadways are still completely full except for 2am~5am and it is not kei cars filling the lanes.

japan is a very large country (in distance) holding rather different populations with different needs and tastes.

In Japan as a whole the description is not that far from what some said here, yet there are over 120million people in this country still buying over 4million cars a year, so yes there are plenty of cars. There is a sharp contrast though between a place like Tokyo where most people don't have a car and one like the small city where I live where most families have at least two cars.

Another misconception, kei-kars aren't necessarily cheap cars, they are simply small and easier to own. Many people pay for their k's more than what you would pay for a fit, but the Kei simply fits better their needs. Many of those buyers are young woman or elderly people.
What is beyond any doubts is that the trend in Japan is for increasing Kei sales with decreasing regular car sales. Also that environmental friendly cars sell better, and that the most popular segment for large cars is the minivan one.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2012 01:33
I have a friend from school who lives in Japan. He married a Japanese woman after he spent 5 years teaching English there. I should get his take on it.
Dave C.
Profile for Dave C.
Re: Japan/WorldWide Launch [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2012 18:01
I'm reading this from Okinawa and the most common car here are the boxy "yellow plate" 2 dr cars. I have seen on Maserati and a few other high end sports cars, but they are few and far between.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0