[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic Type R Promo
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda Grace Hybrid to be launched in Japan
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Official TLX I4 0 - 60 test
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2016 RLX MMC?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT COTY Contender: Honda Fit
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rolled's dream car
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: its been a year...
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future of sports cars
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Honda Grace (JDM City hybrid) website is up
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: SUV for Rough urban roads?
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > European design patent filing reveals the production 2013 ILX > > Re: Optima resemblance?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author

A77
Profile for A77
Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 12:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I know some have said it looks like a Dodge but from some angles, or is it just me, there's a bit of Optimaness in it?

Either way - if anything the production ILX looks nicer than the concept - that's doesnt happen often!
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 12:49
A little bit. That trim of Optima looks great!
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 13:14
Always thought with the Optima - it looks awesome in the showroom/in car shows, but on the road looks a bit awkward. Don't like those wheels either. Nice interior though.
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 13:15
Then that's a good thing. The Optima looks really nice. There is one parked next to my house for the past 3 days and I'm impressed by its looks.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 13:25
I wonder if the Dodge resemblance is a direct result of Michelle Christinson's involvement in the ZDX? She mentioned that her dad was a muscle car fan and they flanks of the ZDX drew inspiration from those cars. Of course, some could argue that the rear fender arches are similar to some of the Acura concepts shown before the ZDX (thinking HSC) so who's to say.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 13:43
Sadly...the Optima looks much nicer. The added chrome bits and no odd character line make for a much smoother look.
King77
Profile for King77
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 13:45
A77: Absolutelly not. Itīs funny (or sad?). Honda comes first with pentagon grille, but you cas see many post with "hey look, this Honda/Acura" looks like Mazda 6.

And now it is the same. Kia is clear copycat of Honda/Acura styling ...and look - this Acura looks quite like a Kia. WTF?
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 14:06
DCR wrote:
Sadly...the Optima looks much nicer. The added chrome bits and no odd character line make for a much smoother look.

There are certainly a number of nice elements in the Kia Optima, but in my opinion, the C pillar to door to rear window are a disjointed mishmash of lines and angles. It makes the A pillar of the new Civic look elegant.
integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 14:08
The Optima's accent lines are integrated across the entire vehicle, making it look much sleeker. Its a nice design with some great details, like the glass roof, LED tail lights.... The not so great small details of the ILX make it look a little budget/Civic origin to me (like the door handles, mirrors, etc...). Every time I see the ILX, I see the Civic's hard points, covered in overwrought body work. Hoping I'm wrong and that wont be the case on the street.

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 14:19
That Optima has good design "DNA". KIA hired Peter Schreyer away from Audi (he is best known for the Audi TT). The Optima is his design.

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/07/26-peter-schreyer-kia-design/

Truly impressive credentials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 15:15
Waldo wrote:
That Optima has good design "DNA". KIA hired Peter Schreyer away from Audi (he is best known for the Audi TT). The Optima is his design.

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/07/26-peter-schreyer-kia-design/

Truly impressive credentials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

Remember when Honda hired some former big Mercedes designer guy for Acura when they had Tier 1 aspirations............wonder what happened to him?
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 15:31
King77 wrote:
A77: Absolutelly not. Itīs funny (or sad?). Honda comes first with pentagon grille, but you cas see many post with "hey look, this Honda/Acura" looks like Mazda 6.

And now it is the same. Kia is clear copycat of Honda/Acura styling ...and look - this Acura looks quite like a Kia. WTF?

I thought I was the only one who thinks Kia got their inspiration from Honda/Acura.
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 15:36
If you want to be picky, there is a little Camry in those headlights too. Not that the Camry didn't get it from the TSX.

dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 15:38
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 15:58
Colin wrote:
DCR wrote:
but in my opinion, the C pillar to door to rear window are a disjointed mishmash of lines and angles.

I thought I was the only one who thought so. It's funny that people complain about the bulky front end of the Accord but the Optima's look just as bulky if not more. I also hate the fender ports. Overall it's just a bit odd looking (which isn't always a bad thing) to me but I tend to prefer more conservative designs. I will say that I got a peak of the interior and while it's not my favorite design either, the materials looked very good.
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 16:31
I would take an Optima over a Sonata any day.
DevilMayCry
Profile for DevilMayCry
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 17:01
DCR wrote:

My goodness, dude, lol...why are you even posting on this Honda/Acura forum? Can't recall seeing any post of yours that isn't anti-Honda/Acura.

Is your life that miserable, lol? You're like a woman that's been scorned!
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 17:29
according2kev wrote:
Colin wrote:
DCR wrote:
but in my opinion, the C pillar to door to rear window are a disjointed mishmash of lines and angles.

I thought I was the only one who thought so. It's funny that people complain about the bulky front end of the Accord but the Optima's look just as bulky if not more. I also hate the fender ports. Overall it's just a bit odd looking (which isn't always a bad thing) to me but I tend to prefer more conservative designs. I will say that I got a peak of the interior and while it's not my favorite design either, the materials looked very good.

I rented an Optima a few weeks ago and spent about 300 miles in it. It's a hell of a car for the ~$20k I'm sure the stripped out one I drove stickered for. I do like the looks but the base wheels are way too small. Kudos to Kia for great work on the chassis, the impressive efficiency, performance, and refinement GDI engine and 6AT (I averaged 37.7mpg on the freeway driving from Columbus airport to Cleveland Ohio, and it was still climbing when we took our exit).

Interior materials look okay but aren't all that great when you actually touch them. The seats are really uncomfortable and rear visibility is a joke.

But for the ridiculous price they're leasing these for in my area, I'm surprised I don't see the streets flooded with them. Hell, even to buy one, dirt cheap.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 17:35
King77 wrote:

How could the Kia Optima be copying the Acura ILX when there are years separating both designs even in the conceptual stage? The Acura ILX just debuted in January.

If anything, Kia has a very strong Audi design influence because of their chief designer. I see no resemblance in the design language between the two brands.
Gumbercules
Profile for Gumbercules
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 17:44
Jeff - what was your milage outside of the highway in the optima?

AFAIK, HWY mileage is fairly easy to attain with a 6 speed and tall 6th. But for me, I drive about 55% in city, so city mpg is more important to me since a low city real world mpg has a severe adverse impact to my overall average.
VTECRacer
Profile for VTECRacer
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 18:54
DevilMayCry wrote:
DCR wrote:

My goodness, dude, lol...why are you even posting on this Honda/Acura forum? Can't recall seeing any post of yours that isn't anti-Honda/Acura.

AMEN!
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 19:32
VTECRacer wrote:
DevilMayCry wrote:
DCR wrote:

AMEN!

Hallelujah!
integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 20:25
I like the front of the ILX with the concepts LEDs a lot, especially from the 3/4 shot... but I agree with DCR. If you take that much injury from his post, YOU have a miserable life. Smart money says he's purchased more new Honda/Acura products than you will in your lifetime, so I'm certain he's earned the right to comment.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 21:05
integrator wrote:
I like the front of the ILX with the concepts LEDs a lot, especially from the 3/4 shot... but I agree with DCR. If you take that much injury from his post, YOU have a miserable life. Smart money says he's purchased more new Honda/Acura products than you will in your lifetime, so I'm certain he's earned the right to comment.

Hot Wheels don't count. ;-)
VTECRacer
Profile for VTECRacer
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 21:13
integrator wrote:

The same thing that was said to DCR applies to you. You two are the biggest Debbie downers on TOV. Like that annoying fly that just won't leave you alone...
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 22:02
Actually, I don't have a miserable life at all, but thanks for your concern.

If you don't like what I post, ignore it. I can have an opinion, same as you...I don't, never have and never will give a fuck what you think.

Any questions?
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 22:31
I see the resemblance to the Optima...the taillight shape the up kick in the side glass/c-pillar. But I do think the styling is better realized in the Kia. Something about that c-pillar is unique, plus that top chrome strip (even though it gets a little clumsy with the door cutlines) says 'i'm different' - not to mention the great front end. The ILX on the other hand has a strange 'japanized' version of the Avenger, LaCrosse side crease that just does not look natural. Plus the up kick at the c-pillar seems a bit derivative when compared to the Kia.

I am happy to see that the production ILX front bumper has been tamed down when compared to the concept, and I also like that Acura decided to show (finally!) some undertones of the Sports 4 Concept in it's arrow-like lower valance...

Just wish the fog/headlights were more Sports 4 than late 2000's Civic...

musicmanvin
Profile for musicmanvin
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 23:05
Seriously guys? this is not KIA's design, it's not 'stolen' from Toyota, Nissan, Ferrari, Ford, or who ever.. Believe it or not, but Acura's design go back very far.

The 99TL already had the basis for what was to become the power plenum, it also had the center edge running down the middle, and it had the edges running off the grill into the hood.

The 03 TSX carried over all of those design traits from the TL including the bumper intake, but it introduce the long thin head lights for Acura.

The 04 TL, really started to define the pentagon grille leading way to the power plenum. It also introduced that new front bumper design.

Then with the 05 RDX concept you can see Acura playing around with the angled lights and a new grille design.

Which made it's way into the 09 TSX and RL, and note the design of the rear pillar on the TL.

Because that pillar design from the TL found it's way into the ILX, and you can see both TL and TSX lines in the rear and front of the car.

Acura has been slowly evolving they're look.. Which each new car they introduce new designs while carrying over many of the good from past models. So ya, I feel it's the KIA that's looking a bit Acuraish...
saitamahonda
Profile for saitamahonda
Re: Optima resemblance? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 00:46
Nope not at all. It seems based more on the lexus IS and 3series, the main targets. The wide look of the rear beltline tapering down is from the hsc concept.

The door c pillar is an exact copy of the lexus IS, which i dilike on both cars. The optima c pillar looks good. But the taillight angle of the IS and optima are not to my liking. The ilx taillights resemble the older 3series coupe and looks clean.
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 02-03-2012 01:16

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message

Thread Page - [1] 2
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0