[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
General Talk --> Re: Acura Style Magazine - Out of touch?
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: Acura NSX....How it's going to be sold in the US
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: If there was a TLX Wagon
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda FY14 production / JP sales
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 9th Generation Honda Accord Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Chinese Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura NDX vs Lexus NX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2016 RDX Upgrade Predictions
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TLX delayed till late summer.. Instead of May
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: BTCC at Donington Park
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: 2015 MDX
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > NSX > > Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 15:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.motortrend.com/classic/features/1112_1991_acura_nsx_and_1991_lexus_ls_400/
What Went Wrong?
Massive speculation and overconfidence led to a Japanese asset price bubble, peaking in 1991. Real estate prices in Tokyo reached absurd heights with one square foot of prime space being valued at up to nearly $100,000. When the bubble popped, those goofy prices fell by 90 percent. The myth of Japan as the new master of the universe dissolved, and the Japanese were forced to deal with what became known as "The Lost Decade." Of course, a full recovery has yet to materialize and the Nikkei stock index finally bottomed out in 2009.

As for the Japanese auto industry, it still sells boatloads of cars. However, the vehicles are by and large simply not as special as they once were. Honda, especially in North America, is not the engineering monolith it once was. Their best product is no longer a high-strung, mid-engine Porsche-smacking sports car. It's a minivan. Gone forever, it seems, are the days when gearhead, speedfreak teenagers dreamed of VTEC. Subaru's easily modified WRX nailed that coffin shut.

Saddest of all is the fate of Lexus, a brand that once burned so bright. Today, Lexus appears to have lost its rudder. While it's true that Toyota spent a decade and several fistfuls of yen engineering the mighty LFA, that hypercar just isn't as good as the competition. Even if it were, the absurd $400,000 price tag ensures that the Germans and Italians could care less. It is beyond niche. As for the rest of the Lexus lineup, the cars are competitive, but none is best in class. Lexus, it seems, woke a sleeping giant with the introduction of the LS 400. We're still waiting for the second act.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 19:12
Sad but true. I guess the loss of innovation/competitiveness came from chasing volume instead of buidling off of their engineering expertise. Both brands however seem to have big plans up their sleeves as Honda/Acura will be releasing several new models/drivetrains with supposed "best in class" performance and economy. Toyota/Lexus will be focusing on driving dynamics which started with the Sienna SE, the new Camry and the new Lexus GS. Hopefully this newfound enthusiasm will not die again.

~Patrick
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 20:11
Honda has invested heavily in R&D for Hybrid and alternate fuel technologies. No wonder Honda's gas powered cars now sometimes seem to be a step behind the rest!

Ultima
Profile for Ultima
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 21:01
superchg2 wrote:
Honda has invested heavily in R&D for Hybrid and alternate fuel technologies. No wonder Honda's gas powered cars now sometimes seem to be a step behind the rest!

And what they have to show for it is fantastic! /Sarcasm.

"Honda, especially in North America, is not the engineering monolith it once was. Their best product is no longer a high-strung, mid-engine Porsche-smacking sports car. It's a minivan. Gone forever, it seems, are the days when gearhead, speedfreak teenagers dreamed of VTEC. Subaru's easily modified WRX nailed that coffin shut. "

Agreed with this statement 100%. Are we allow to post anything remotely critical of Honda/Acura in any way shape/form here?
Prelude4ws
Profile for Prelude4ws
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2012 23:31
Good article and some nice information about the NSX and LS400. I give Acura more credit in directly taking on Ferrari and changing the way super cars were made over Lexus building just another soft boring luxo cruiser sedan to compete with lots of other boring luxo cruiser sedans though the reliability was impressive in the LS400.

I disagree with the Legend not getting more due in that article especially the second generation. The second generation Legend was the luxury car to have at the time for people into cars when it was released, more so then the Q45 and definitely over the LS400 even though more non car people may have bought the LS.

LOL, I was looking at the comments and the commenter "BlackDynamiteNYC" reminds me a hell of a lot of 1Sicklex, wonder if he is trolling Motor Trend too putting down Acura and worshipping Lexus.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 13:29
Huh? I think all that R&D went to a Jet program that's still not officially available for sale.

superchg2 wrote:

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 14:43
typer_801 wrote:
Huh? I think all that R&D went to a Jet program that's still not officially available for sale.

superchg2 wrote:

The Hondajet has been available for sale for several years now. They have over 100 deposits on it (well they had that many when they launched it, it is probably higher now).

It doesn't work the same way. They have to finish FAA certification (should be 3rd or 4th quarter of this year) before they can deliver to customers, but it has been for sale for awhile. It isn't like cars where you can only buy them from a showroom.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 23:14
There's an original 1990 NSX from I think a Best Motoring video from youtube I saw some time back (I can't find the link now!!), that had quite a high mileage on it, quite stock (some little mods I think) but when they put it onto the dyno it put out EXACTLY 1 HP less than the rated HP of some 18/19 years ago at the time.

The NSX2 has a lot to live up to, not only performance but reliability.. and I wonder how the hybrid batteries/capacitor/whatever are going to hold up as well as the rest of the car/engine/trans.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2012 23:31
FiSH-Chan wrote:
There's an original 1990 NSX from I think a Best Motoring video from youtube I saw some time back (I can't find the link now!!), that had quite a high mileage on it, quite stock (some little mods I think) but when they put it onto the dyno it put out EXACTLY 1 HP less than the rated HP of some 18/19 years ago at the time.

The NSX2 has a lot to live up to, not only performance but reliability.. and I wonder how the hybrid batteries/capacitor/whatever are going to hold up as well as the rest of the car/engine/trans.

When I got my '98 in 2004 I had it dynoed and it put down 237hp at the wheels. Late 2011, 25,000kms later I finally got my SOS Lightweight Flywheel & Sports Clutch, along with Comptech Headers and Tiatec Lightweight Exhaust. The shop put it on the dyno after the service and it dynoed 263hp. And you can feel every bit of that extra power as well :)
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2012 02:46
FiSH-Chan wrote:

The C30A was durability tested to the equivalent of 200K miles at full load.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Motortrend: 91 NSX vs LS    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2012 08:52
I found a couple of comments about Nissan's VQ series interesting. I wasn't that impressed by the VG series at the time because the truck engines just didn't light many fires but a friend still has his '84 Z Turbo. That was a great drivetrain. Whenever a G35/G37 coupe drives past in a parking lot or garage I can't help but stop to listen and it's the only Nissan I would consider. I had always thought Nissan dropping the inline 6 in favor of the V6 to be a mistake; the last 810 and 1st gen Maxima were wonderful cars. The first of the VQ engines put to rest old memories of the L28.

The LS may have changed the luxury world but only due to price and reliability, in that order. The original LS made the M-B cars appear nearly Italian-exotic by comparison. If I look at an ES250 long enough I actually want to buy one of those 190E-16 Cosworth things. My boss at the time bought his wife a '91 Q45 with the BBS style option package wheels. Much better car in all aspects hurt only by a horrible ad campaign showing trees instead of cars. I think Lexus today is being trounced by the Audi-centric style and promotion model most of the manufacturers have adopted. Reliability and price are easy today.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy